auto archive messages on mailbox store

Hi there,

I'm in a bit of a jam, I used to archive all messages sent or received on a
mailbox store to a public folder. Somehow, I have changed my configuration
and I don't know how. Now in the public folder I have each mail (which is
received) logged twice, once as an e-mail, once as a post to the public
folder. It used to be only the post.
Any ideas on how to get back to the old situation where it was only posted,
or even better to the situation where only the e-mail is logged (provides
more functionality than a post).

My system is win2k server SP4 and exch2k3 SP1.

Kind regards

David
0
David4882 (672)

You can check to see if you've implemented this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817809

I don't know why e-mails are being captured twice, but the above article
describes how to force messages destined for public folders to be formatted
as ipm.note (regular message format) instead of ipm.post.  Note - this only
affects messages from the Internet.  Internally, messages destined for
public folders should be sent as ipm.note format already.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'm in a bit of a jam, I used to archive all messages sent or received on
> mailbox store to a public folder. Somehow, I have changed my configuration
> and I don't know how. Now in the public folder I have each mail (which is
> received) logged twice, once as an e-mail, once as a post to the public
> folder. It used to be only the post.
> Any ideas on how to get back to the old situation where it was only
> posted,
> or even better to the situation where only the e-mail is logged (provides
> more functionality than a post).
>
> My system is win2k server SP4 and exch2k3 SP1.
>
> Kind regards
>
> David

0
Ben
8/4/2005 1:35:56 PM
I'm not sure if it's implemented or not, but in effect trouble began after
the installation of SP1 on this particular Exch2k3 server. I have another
Ech2k3 server in my organisation where the problem does not appear,
everything works just fine there. The mails which are archived to (another)
public folder appear as mail.

Any ideas on where to find differences in configuration between the two
servers?
- SMTP
- Mailbox Store
- Mailserver properties
- Public folder rules? Mailbox store rules?
I don't know.

The server with the problems is Exch2k3 Enterprise SP1 (A) on win2k
ServerSP4, the one without the problems is Standard SP1 (B) on win2k
ServerSP4. A third is Exch2k3 Enterprise SP1 on Win2k3 (C), there everything
is normal as well.

Mail on server A is logged to a public folder on server D. When mail is sent
from Server A it only appears once (and as e-mail not as a post). It is on
the receiving end that something goes wrong. There mail is duplicated to post
and e-mail.

It is only on one particular public folder that this happens, perhaps it
would be an idea to create a new public folder to do the archiving and just
delete the old one?

kind regards.

David

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> You can check to see if you've implemented this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817809
>
> I don't know why e-mails are being captured twice, but the above article
> describes how to force messages destined for public folders to be formatted
> as ipm.note (regular message format) instead of ipm.post.  Note - this only
> affects messages from the Internet.  Internally, messages destined for
> public folders should be sent as ipm.note format already.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm in a bit of a jam, I used to archive all messages sent or received on
> > mailbox store to a public folder. Somehow, I have changed my configuration
> > and I don't know how. Now in the public folder I have each mail (which is
> > received) logged twice, once as an e-mail, once as a post to the public
> > folder. It used to be only the post.
> > Any ideas on how to get back to the old situation where it was only
> > posted,
> > or even better to the situation where only the e-mail is logged (provides
> > more functionality than a post).
> >
> > My system is win2k server SP4 and exch2k3 SP1.
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > David

0
David4882 (672)
8/4/2005 2:20:21 PM
I'd check to see if it is present on one server, but not the others.  It's
just a registry key, so it shouldn't take long to find out if it has been
implemented or not.

Also, your idea of creating a new public folder for the archiving may be a
good solution.  If nothing else, it may help to know if the problem is with
the public folder or elsewhere.

--

> [...]
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I'm in a bit of a jam, I used to archive all messages sent or received
>> > on
>> > mailbox store to a public folder. Somehow, I have changed my
>> > configuration
>> > and I don't know how. Now in the public folder I have each mail (which
>> > is
>> > received) logged twice, once as an e-mail, once as a post to the public
>> > folder. It used to be only the post.
>> > Any ideas on how to get back to the old situation where it was only
>> > posted,
>> > or even better to the situation where only the e-mail is logged
>> > (provides
>> > more functionality than a post).
>> >
>> > My system is win2k server SP4 and exch2k3 SP1.

0
Ben
8/4/2005 2:39:34 PM
I've checked for the reg entry, it's nowhere to be found, on none of the
servers. I've created a new public folder and now the strangest thing is
happening. All mail is archived twice (which could be expected). Once in the
old folder, once in the new one.

What is weird is that both archives contain MAIL and neither of both is a
post. Now I'm completely lost. Is it possible that there is another stray reg
entry or rule which is causing this. I've done some testing on the server
where the problem occurs. But I don't recall creating a rule which could
cause this. However, I did already change the archive folder briefly, and
than changed it back to the original folder. Replication ? AD Schema with
stray entries?

> [...]

> > It is only on one particular public folder that this happens, perhaps it
> > would be an idea to create a new public folder to do the archiving and
> > just
> > delete the old one?
> >
> > kind regards.
> >
> > David
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You can check to see if you've implemented this:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817809
> >>
> >> I don't know why e-mails are being captured twice, but the above article
> >> describes how to force messages destined for public folders to be
> >> formatted
> >> as ipm.note (regular message format) instead of ipm.post.  Note - this
> >> only
> >> affects messages from the Internet.  Internally, messages destined for
> >> public folders should be sent as ipm.note format already.

0
David4882 (672)
8/4/2005 3:12:06 PM
Would I dare to delete the second (newly made folder) and with it hopefully
the problem or would this cause even more damage? And than change the
archiving back to the original folder somewhere in let's say 24 hours for
replication to work it's way?

> [...]

> > It is only on one particular public folder that this happens, perhaps it
> > would be an idea to create a new public folder to do the archiving and
> > just
> > delete the old one?
> >
> > kind regards.
> >
> > David
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You can check to see if you've implemented this:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817809
> >>
> >> I don't know why e-mails are being captured twice, but the above article
> >> describes how to force messages destined for public folders to be
> >> formatted
> >> as ipm.note (regular message format) instead of ipm.post.  Note - this
> >> only
> >> affects messages from the Internet.  Internally, messages destined for
> >> public folders should be sent as ipm.note format already.

0
David4882 (672)
8/4/2005 3:15:02 PM
Hi there again,

After changing the archive folder to a second (new) public folder I still
had some (but not all) messages which were duplicated (in both public
folders).
I than moved the AD Schema master to the Exchange server with the problem
and checked that the flag Schema may be changed on this server was on.

After this and allowing for replication of AD throughout the entire forest,
I changed the archive folder back to the original public folder, than some
mails were still duplicated. BUT, after allowing all replication to happen,
the problem SEEMS fixed for now.

Tnx anyway for the pointers.

> [...]

> > It is only on one particular public folder that this happens, perhaps it
> > would be an idea to create a new public folder to do the archiving and
> > just
> > delete the old one?
> >
> > kind regards.
> >
> > David
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You can check to see if you've implemented this:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817809
> >>
> >> I don't know why e-mails are being captured twice, but the above article
> >> describes how to force messages destined for public folders to be
> >> formatted
> >> as ipm.note (regular message format) instead of ipm.post.  Note - this
> >> only
> >> affects messages from the Internet.  Internally, messages destined for
> >> public folders should be sent as ipm.note format already.

0
David4882 (672)

Auto Filter problem

cannot open or reply to a message or new message
Have just upgraded to windows 7 and now when we are in outlook 2007 we recieve mail but cannot reply, open or forward mail. It is open in the task bar but will not open up full screen. Any help here would be grateful. Close Outlook. Open it in safe mode. Start > Start Search > outlook.exe /safe (please note the space between outlook.exe and /safe) Does this behaviour continue? "Cazz" <Cazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:355C8102-A769-4B6C-886B-FC8FE61D6495@microsoft.com... > Have just upgraded to windows 7 and now when we are in ...

"New Mail Message" etc shortcuts in Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from 98 to 2003. In 98 there were shortcuts for creating a new mail message, new task, new contact, etc. You could put them on Office Toolbar, on QuickLaunch, or anywhere. I can't find a way to do that in 2003. Is there a way? dave Since the Office toolbar was removed from Office 2003, where do you want to put the shortcuts? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no ans...

error message; print problem
The following began appearing about/after the time I transferred info from one computer to another: 1) at the close of Microsoft Word 2002 (Microsoft Windows XP Professional), the following appears: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error Program: C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\WINWORD.EXE abnormal program termination 2) After printing 1 or 2 docs with HP psc 1315 all in one, no further docs print (they appear in HP window waiting to print) unless, until I shut down both printer and computer, restart both, then the docs print automatically. ...

Importing Outlook Messages into Outlook Express
I previously used Outlook 2000 on an old PC and now have a new PC using Outlook Express 6. I saved some of my old Outlook .msg files and Outlook mailbox.pab file on my new PC, but have not been able to "import" the Outlook files into Outlook Express. My Office 2000 CD is damaged and I have no way of installing Outlook on my new PC. Is there a way of opening or importing my Outlook files with Outlook Express? Appreciate the help, David ...

Lost mail after mailbox move
I have the following issue. I have two exchange 2003 advanced servers - an old one and a new one and am in the process of moving mailboxes between the two. I moved a whole storage group of Outlook users to the new one the other night. All was OK, Outlook picked up the new server and adjusted itself as expected. Unbeknown to me one user also uses Entourage on a Mac, having both Mac and PC Outlook logged into the same account at the same time. Surprisingly Entourage seemed to continue to operate, I would have thought it would not connect to the new server but it seemed to manage. The f...

Error message during login:not a registered user of the applicatio
Hi , i receive following error during login: Error during login, you are not a registered user of the application. Does the mobile user need special rights ? The CRMMobileErrorLog.txt : TIM]02.21.2007 12:22:20 [CMP]rdaMsgBusErrorTrace [LVL]0 [EVT]0 [TXT]Exception details : Message : WebException Extra Info : Status Code : UnauthorizedStatus Description : Unauthorized Exception Contents : System.Net.WebException: WebException bei System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.doInvoke() bei Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.Mobility.RdaMessageBus.Diagnostics.MessageBusService.CancelM...

Unable to archive on outlook 2002
Hi all... I am on outlook 2002. I have tried NUMEROUS times to manually archive old email. Here is what I do: create the pst file first, then within outlook I pull down on file, then archive. I put in the date range I want and let it go on its way. (I use date less than 12/31/2002 - which should get all of 2002). It only does its thing for a few seconds. NO emails are archived what so ever. I have tried numerous times.. and at a loss Any thoughts or suggestions??? Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date...

Auto-Editing

unable to see messages in outlook 2003
after setting up outlook on vista machine i am unable to see messages in inbox or any of the personal folders, despite successful download from mail server. have also checked filters. i had plenty of issues during setting up outlook with 2007 version & with setting up mail data folders, but it finally worked. any assistance will be appreciated. -- mahim http://forums.slipstick.com "mahim" <mahim.45jx5y@invalid> wrote in message news:mahim.45jx5y@invalid... > after setting up outlook on vista machine i am unable to see messages in > inbox o...

Journaling
AHi, I have enabled journaling on one of the mailbox store by selectiong "Archive all messages sent or recieved by maiboxes on this store" oprtion. But the mailbox under this tore can not recieve external mails from outside my organization but can recieve mails internally. please help to solve this issue. "Taj" wrote: > AHi, > I have enabled journaling on one of the mailbox store by selectiong "Archive > all messages sent or recieved by maiboxes on this store" oprtion. But the > mailbox under this tore can not recieve external mails from out...

Auto-Calculate

External messages problem
Hi all, I have this problem with a customer, they have an Exchange 2003 Server (SBS2003). The external mailboxes resides on the ISP so they download messages to internal mailboxes through POP3 connector. This works fine but we see 2 problems: 1) When an internal user wants to send messages to an external user the mail is sended with the "reply-to" pointing to the internal mailbox (not resolvable from internet), so when the external user wants to reply and sends the email the address is not recongnized and the email bounces. 2) If we change the "reply-to" to match the...

received a 551 error message when sending an email
-- Barbara R. Griffin Barbara@BarbaraRGriffin.com "Barbara R. Griffin" <BarbaraRGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6649DF7-CC94-4F8D-9339-2AB2BFDC243D@microsoft.com... > > -- > Barbara R. Griffin > Barbara@BarbaraRGriffin.com Please use this BIG WHITE SPACE to write your question. If you'd bothered to do ANY searching in this group you would have found a huge thread earlier today of which one post contained the following: " From AT&T: I apologize but we are undergoing a system maintenance. Would you pl...

Out of Office message
I have XP and I cannot find where I can set up a message when I'm out of the office. Can someone please help me. To use the Out of Office Assistant, you must be using Outlook and an Exchange server. If you are not on an Exchange server, then you would need to use rules to reply to messages. However, rules will not allow you to distinguish who to send an Out of Office reply to so all spam that you recieve will have the reply sent, letting the spammers know that they have a "live" address. >-----Original Message----- >I have XP and I cannot find where I can s...

auto copy self

Auto correct or Auto complete

OWA auto login

WM_QUERYENDSESSION message in LocalSystem context
Hi, My app creates a top level window and handles the WM_QUERYENDSESSION message. When I run this app as "LocalSystem" by creating a task in the XP Task Scheduler and setting the task as "Non interactive", this app doesn't receive the WM_QUERYENDSESSION message. When the task is created as an "Interactive" task and run as LocalSystem, the app receives the WM_QUERYENDSESSION message. Is it possible for a non-interactive app running as LocalSystem to receive the WM_QUERYENDSESSION message? An Interactive task is defined as follows: /interactive ...

Auto look through subfolders

Auto date

Messages Not Saved to Drafts Folder (but to INBOX folder)
The "solution" (XCLN: Messages Not Saved to Drafts Folder" (MS Knowledge Base 247813)) merely states that MS Outlook's default is to save messages every 3 minutes to the Drafts folder! As the subject heading of this MS KB 247813 states, however, the problem is that messages ARE NOT being saved to the Drafts folder! The "solution" to my reading seemingly ignores this and offers no "way around" or correction of the problem. This sort of response in MS "Help" is so frustrating. It seems so patently obvious that the "solution" ...

Outlook Express 6 & Binary File Messages
Hi, I have a question for the group. When using OE 6 to read binary messages in NG's that have multiple posts that have to be joined together in order to view the image (.jpg, .gif, etc.), why are only the second or third parts only shown. In other words, if you see in a message post that would normally show extensions like (1/2, 2/2 etc.), how come only the 2/2 or however many parts there are show up instead of complete post messages. Do I need to adjust any settings or is this a problem with the news server that the message posts are sent to ? I'm running Win XP...