Auditing "time stamps" of when email was opened in outlook

We are running exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server.  Our clients in our
company are a mixture of outlook 2000, outlook 2002, and outlook 2k3.

What I want to know is: Is there way to find out, audit, and print out time
stamps for when an end users actually opens an email they've received (other
than a return receipt)?  A person can have an email sitting in there inbox
for weeks but I'm looking to find out if there is a way to see a time stamp
for when the end user actually clicked on the email in there outlook client.

Is this even possible?

0
Gymim (6)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:59:02 -0700, Gymim
<Gymim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We are running exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server.  Our clients in our
>company are a mixture of outlook 2000, outlook 2002, and outlook 2k3.
>
>What I want to know is: Is there way to find out, audit, and print out time
>stamps for when an end users actually opens an email they've received (other
>than a return receipt)?  A person can have an email sitting in there inbox
>for weeks but I'm looking to find out if there is a way to see a time stamp
>for when the end user actually clicked on the email in there outlook client.
>
>Is this even possible?

Why?

0
adavid (8731)
7/21/2006 1:43:14 AM
Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:59:02 -0700, Gymim
><Gymim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>We are running exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server.  Our clients in our
>>company are a mixture of outlook 2000, outlook 2002, and outlook 2k3.
>>
>>What I want to know is: Is there way to find out, audit, and print out time
>>stamps for when an end users actually opens an email they've received (other
>>than a return receipt)?  A person can have an email sitting in there inbox
>>for weeks but I'm looking to find out if there is a way to see a time stamp
>>for when the end user actually clicked on the email in there outlook client.
>>
>>Is this even possible?
>>

>Why?

I was going to ask the same thing. There's lots of mail I read in the
OL2K3 reading pane without ever opening it.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:59:02 -0700, Gymim
> ><Gymim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>We are running exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server.  Our clients in our
> >>company are a mixture of outlook 2000, outlook 2002, and outlook 2k3.
> >>
> >>What I want to know is: Is there way to find out, audit, and print out time
> >>stamps for when an end users actually opens an email they've received (other
> >>than a return receipt)?  A person can have an email sitting in there inbox
> >>for weeks but I'm looking to find out if there is a way to see a time stamp
> >>for when the end user actually clicked on the email in there outlook client.
> >>
> >>Is this even possible?
> >>

> >Why?
>
> I was going to ask the same thing. There's lots of mail I read in the
> OL2K3 reading pane without ever opening it.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

My boss as asked me to look into this and see if there is some way to audit
opened email time stamps.  I didn't really ask why, I've just been trying to
find out if it's possible.
0
Gymim (6)
7/23/2006 1:30:01 AM
Gymim <Gymim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>My boss as asked me to look into this and see if there is some way to audit
>opened email time stamps.

He doesn't have pointy hair, does he?

>I didn't really ask why, I've just been trying to
>find out if it's possible.

Well, opening the messeage will alter its properties. I don't know if
that would alter any timestamp on the message, though. That's more of
a developer question than an admin question. You might have a look
around MSDN or the Exchange SDK.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
Gymim wrote:

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:

>>> Why?
>> I was going to ask the same thing. There's lots of mail I read in the
>> OL2K3 reading pane without ever opening it.
>>
>> --
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
>> Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com
>> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com
>>

> My boss as asked me to look into this and see if there is some way to audit
> opened email time stamps.  I didn't really ask why, I've just been trying to
> find out if it's possible.

My recommendation is that you report that you "Extensively researched
the subject" and that "Every expert I contacted said that it wasn't
possible." and then get back to real work... :-)

Regards,
Hank Arnold
0
rasilon1 (689)

Time Stamps in Physical Inventories
Hi, We have a PSC Falcon 340 PDT which we'd like to use in taking physical inventories. The device comes preloaded with a freeware bundle for Inventory, Assets and so on, which is called PAL2. The scanned items upload to the host computer as a CSV file, which is picked up and read by RMS physical inventory sheet. So far so good... Here's the problem that I'm facing. Everytime an item is scanned, the entry is appended with a Date and Time stamp. However, the Date and Time are maintained as two different fields, separated by a comma. So that makes a total of 4 fields per en...

Auditing "time stamps" of when email was opened in outlook
We are running exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server. Our clients in our company are a mixture of outlook 2000, outlook 2002, and outlook 2k3. What I want to know is: Is there way to find out, audit, and print out time stamps for when an end users actually opens an email they've received (other than a return receipt)? A person can have an email sitting in there inbox for weeks but I'm looking to find out if there is a way to see a time stamp for when the end user actually clicked on the email in there outlook client. Is this even possible? On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 12:59:02 -0...

Get run time from date time stamps
I need to get run time in minutes from between a series of date/time stamps. I have no clue of how to do this.. any help would be greatly appreciated On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:18:04 -0700, GWB <GWB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to get run time in minutes from between a series of date/time stamps. >I have no clue of how to do this.. any help would be greatly appreciated Probably by using the DateDiff() function: DateDiff("n", [StartTime], [EndTime]) will calculate the difference in time in miNutes ("m" is Months). It's not cle...

Time Stamps in Physical Inventories #2
Hi, We have a PSC Falcon 340 device and we'd like to use it in taking physical inventories. The device uploads the scanned entries to the host computer, as a CSV file. The problem that I'm facing is that for every scanned entry, the Date and Time stamps are maintained in two separate fields (separated by a comma), and I haven't managed to make RMS read the 4th (Time) field. I would very much like to use the Time stamp, as it would potentially allow you to run physical inventories without having to shut down the store or a department. Any suggestions as to how I can import...

Question about Table Date Time Stamps
Hi, I have a question about the date time stamp for the tables. I am looking at the "Table" tab under the "Objects" in the main view in access. There is a "Created" and "Modified" date. My question is when is created and modified updated with a new date. I ran a query that deleted table "XYZ" and then appended 3 tables to "XYZ" but the "Modified" date did not change. Does this make sense. Thanks for your help on this! Those dates are intended to reflect when design changes are made to the table (adding or remov...

GP should track item price changes using date/time stamps
GP should use a date and time stamp on the item table, then when a price change occurs, a store procedure can update the price, date and time stamp, maybe even tracking who the last user was to change the record. Ideally all master tables would have a date and time stamp and user column indicating who changed the record. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the s...

Calendar Time Stamps
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Is there somewhere (somehow) to identify when a calendar appointment was entered? Guess not? ...

Exchange 2003 Log Entry Time Stamps
My smtp session logs In c:\windows\system32\LogFiles have time entries that appear to be GMT, about 7 hours ahead of my actual time. Is there a way to set this to log the local time instead? On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:55:39 GMT, "NeedHelp" <eckmant@earthlink.net> wrote: >My smtp session logs In c:\windows\system32\LogFiles have time entries that >appear to be GMT, about 7 hours ahead of my actual time. Is there a way to >set this to log the local time instead? > > You can set the rollover for local time, but AFAIK, there is no way to set the time within ...

graphing counted time stamps
Is it possible to generate a graph of counted timestamps? I am importing into Excel a log file and get one column of time stamps, some time stamps are 1 time , or multiple times. The idea is that for each one time stamp on the x-axis the y axis shows the counted amount of timestamps for this time. I assume this should be a common problem, but I could not find the answer for this. Any help appreciated, Wolfgang Create a PivotTable and PivotChart with the timestamp as the row field and the data field. Make sure Excel uses COUNT(Timestamp) as the statistic it shows and not SUM(,,,...

Messed up time stamps
Server: Win2K3 SBS SP1 Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Clients: Windows XP SP3 Outlook 2003 SP2 I recently needed to reinstall Exch2003 on my server. Before the reinstall the timestamps on Exchange/Outlook were fine. Now, I'm getting emails with times that are 3 hours in the future. [Note: this is great for investing but it's trash for coordinating my inbound emails. I can now invest in confidence without the SEC ever catching me for 'foreknowledge'! If you want to know where Microsoft will close at today, please email me! :-)] What's the issue/area here I need to ch...

Incorrect Time Stamps
Exchange seems to be stamping the wrong time on emails and events sporadically. All the times on servers are correct. Any thoughts? -- Craig Tuttle - Level I Exchange Tech UCNSB.org The time stamp can also be handled by the client. Which exact time field is being stamped wrong? Have you verified that the client has the correct time (i.e. Daylight savings time set correctly)? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Craig Tuttle" <CraigTuttle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02D51926-77DC-43EB-A5B5-7A00F4530323@microsoft.com... > Exchange seems to b...

Outlook Message time stamps
On outlook the emails which we receive and send out show the wrong time - they always show one hour too early despite our computer clocks being accurate. Why is this? Can I change it? Any help appreciated ...

Mailbox Management time stamps
I'm running Exchange 2003, on Windows server 2003. I have Mailbox Management set up and running.We had this running on Exchange 2000, before we changed to 2003. We clean up mailboxes only according to the age of the mail. Anything over a certain age gets deleted. When we did the upgrade, we put new 2003 servers in parallel with the old Exchange 2000 boxes, and moved the mailboxes to the new servers. My question is this: When we moved the mailboxes, did it reset the time stamp on all the mail, so that the retention period clock now starts over at zero? In other words...If we delete mail at...

Microsoft Outlook time stamps on POP mail
We are using a pop E-mail server (FT-GATE) We are using MS-Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000 + 98 Last week we installed 2 new machines that came pre-installed with windows XP, since then we have had a problem with E-mail on those machines. in outlook the emails which we receive and send out show the wrong time - they always show one hour too early despite our computer clocks being accurate. Is this anything related to GMT, or is it a simple setting in outlook. Andy Check your time zone and daylight savings time settings in Control Panel>Date Time and in Outlook>Tools>Options>Cale...

Time stamps are off by 1 hour when coming into mailboxes
Please help. I'm a hardware consultant who took on a bigger job. I need some guidance. Apparently, all e-mail coming into the office is off by 1 hour. Everyone is affected. They are running a Exchange 2003 server. I've tried searching for information on this and I can't seem to get information anywhere. E-mail is coming into users inbox stamped at 10am when it's only 9am. I've checked to make sure at least the clocks on the servers are set to the correct time, but is there some place else to look? Are the servers set to the correct time zone? Nue "Jason B&...

Messages receiving future received time stamps
We have a business with several international offices. I have a problem where all e-mail's 'received' field is being timestamped with the sender's local time. This is resulting in the recipients receiving messages "in the future". I do not know what happened as this just started last night. It's also affecting everyone so I'm sure it's an Exchange problem and is not related to local Outlook settings. Any ideas? Thanks. Look at the SMTP message headers for clues. I'd guess that the time zone is set wrong on the sending server. -- Ed Crowley ...

Including two data sets with slightly different time stamps
I collected data with two instruments at the same time. One instrument was collecting data every 0.5 seconds and the other was collecting every two seconds. I want to plot the two data sets on the same x-axis to compare their performance. Excel does not recognize the two time periods are the same just different measuring frequencies. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks The use a XY Scatter chart should fix the problem -- as long as you plot both x and y values. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office product...

enable date and time stamps across entire database
The company database has time stamp fields but they are not being populated. If they were, they could be used in SmartLists and reports. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defa...

greater control of date/time stamps on line charts in excel
It works in 97. 1st column had date stamps. 2nd column has time stamps. Columns 3 through x have data (x = 7 for my application). When graphing large amounts of data (greater than 10 rows), excel does not allow me to set attractive increments for the date time stamp on the X-axis when using the 2-D line chart (smooth line). I have tried the same graphing in 2000 and 2003 with no success. Excel 97 formats these number automatically. Can I get the formating right in 2000 or 2003? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the...