Attachments are lost or cannot be read

We have a problem with sending mails with attachments.
We are using an Access application with a mail function. We create a new
mail from within the Access application, then manually add an attachment and
send the mail to an external recipient.
When the recipient reads the mail , the recipient sees an attachment with
the name "attachment21" (no extension) and the attachment cannot be read by
any program I know. The original attachment is lost.

When a mail with attachment was created and sent directly from within
Outlook, the recipient sees
an attachment with the right name and the attachment can be read.

The problem has something to do with Exchange. Everything works fine as long
as the outbound attachments in Exchange have been set to UUENCODE with
binhex turned on. However, we would like to add a disclaimer text to all
outgoing mail. This disclaimer must be added in rich text format. Therefore
it is neccesary to send mails in MIME format using HTML.
When we change the outbound attachments to MIME format, then the attachment
problem occurs.
The settings for Exchange can be found in Exchange Administrator:
<Domain> - Connections - Internet Mail Service - Properties - Internet Mail
Tab

This is the code we are using in Access to create the new mail:

Sub SendMessage(strRecipient As String)
On Error GoTo Err_SendMessage
Dim objOutlook As outlook.Application
Dim objOutlookMsg As outlook.MailItem
Dim objOutlookRecip As outlook.Recipient
Dim nsOutlook As outlook.NameSpace
Dim i As Integer

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set nsOutlook = objOutlook.GetNamespace("MAPI")
nsOutlook.Logon
Set objOutlookMsg = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem)
With objOutlookMsg
    Set objOutlookRecip = .Recipients.Add(strRecipient)
    objOutlookRecip.type = olTo
    objOutlookRecip.Resolve
   .Display
End With
Set objOutlook = Nothing

Exit_SendMessage:
Exit Sub

Err_SendMessage:
MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation, "Send message"
Resume Exit_SendMessage
End Sub

Using Access' method Docmd.SendObject is not an option, because when this
method is used, the mail is always created in plain text format. This is not
acceptable because our policy is to have new mails created in HTML format.

To my opinion the problem should be solved by changing a property in
Exchange/Outlook and/or rewriting the code to create the mail exactly the
same way Outlook does.
We are using Outlook 98 (8.5.5104.6), Access 97 (SR-2) and Exchange 5.5
(Build 2650.24: Service pack 3)

Any ideas of how to isolate this problem are appreciated.

0
abc

uuencoded attachment from mailx is embedded instead of attached
Since I applied the August 2004 version of the post ex2000 sp3 roll-up and the latest April Microsoft secuirty patches, when our unix mailx app sends mail to our Exchange 2k server, the uuencoded attachment is embedded in the body of the message instead of being received as an attachment. Being embedded in the message body turns it into unuseable garbage. We have not made any changes to the unix box, only the exchange box. Has anyone else experienced this problem or anyone know what the solution may be? Thanks ...

Printing

Attach a file in knowledge base
Hi all, Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doesn't make sense to only type it in or copy the text into the article. Thanks in advance, DK. I had the same problem and apparently this is not a feature in MS CRM 3.0. According to a CRM representative the answer is that you cannot attach a document to a knowledge base article. "DK" wrote: > Hi all, > > Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an > article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doe...

Attachment Read only
Hi, When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 Rgds Dear, It seems you are opening the attachment in OL Reading preview - Open the mail(double click on the mail) and then read the attachment. Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Jsingh" wrote: > Hi, > > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not > readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 > > Rgds > Jsingh, you wrote on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:03:02 -0800: > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually i...

Automaticly open attachment and print attachment
Hello, Is there a way to automaticly open a attachment and print it? I played with the rules wizard but there i can only get the message openend and printed. I use Outlook 2003 Thanks. You'll need a 3rd party utility. Look for solutions here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http:/...

Oulook 2000 Blocking Attachments! Reposted
Hi ONG, I am running Ms-Outlook 2000 Service pack 3, on a Windows pro 2000 Service pack 4. Standalone machine. Recently my mail client has been blocking my email attachments, i have received two replies from the newsgroup describing Level1 security in Outlook, also a link to a site containing all the releative information regarding the subject. But no matter what i try Outlook still wont allow the access to the attachment. I created the new Key and the necessary String Value, i have even tried to use the ( . ) character before the file ext, also i have tried it without the ( .) character, no...

How to Find the Message that contained The Attachment of a Known File-Name.
Is there some way to search through a list of emails in Outlook 2003 to find the one that contains an attachment of a specific file name? I am often trying to track down the message that accompanied an attachment with a known file-name amongst thousands of messages in one mailbox. Regards, AndyH If attached to an Exchange server, I would, as an admin, use a utility server-side. From the client, I'm not sure Outlook can do it on its own. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Some of the desktop search applications have this functionality though. "AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au&g...

Connection to Outlook server has been lost
Some users are losing contact with server for several minutes before reconnecting. No data loss in MS apps, but accounting software drops connection with database and is unable to reconnect causing users to reboot PC to reconnect to accounts database. Message : Event 26 Connection to outlook server has been lost. Outlook will restore the connection when possible. Server : SBS 2000 Clients : WinXP running Outlook 2003 ...

attachments do not forward
I want to forward e-mails which come to me with attachments. I want these attachments to forward along with the message and they do not. How can I make this happen? Is there a setting to enable this? ...

Editing attachments in Outlook XP
If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in the email? Has anyone ever seen it not save the edits at all? It may be in a secure folder under the Temporary Internet Folder as per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296115 "DonnaC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052d01c3be9b$44ebd3a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make > edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in > the email? > Has anyone ever seen it...

MS Project file can not open in Read/write mode
The user is trying to open their project in Read/Write mode, but this error message pops up. There are no projects to be Forced Checked In and no projects in the Queue for checkin. As administrator, I can open the project and check it back in, but even after doing this the user cannot open the project in read/write mode.I made sure that use has cleared cache for all checked out projects by her.any suggestion ? thanks in advance GP -- I would immediately suspect that this is a permissions issue. Is the user only a member of the Project Managers group? And have you made an...

attachments.......
Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. Thanks, Crank down the internal message size limits to a value that makes sense to you. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:03:07 -0500, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I >am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. > > >Thanks, > > ...

Have to scroll to see full list of attachments in Outlook 2007?
A colleague of mine keeps sending me HTML emails in Outlook with multiple attachments, but the full list of attachments does not appear all at once on the screen. There is a scroll bar on the FAR right next to the attachments, and you have to scroll down through the list of attachments to see all of the attachments (I can send a screen shot to better explain this). So for example, if an email has four attachments, I only see the first three on the screen, and then I have to scroll down to see the fourth attachment. This is very confusing as I can easily "miss" an attach...

print out messages with list of attachments
Hello there, when printing out a message/email in full, how do I get outlook t print the list of attachments? Cheers, Wi ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com found it in the newsgroups :-) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821840 ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

no read permissions on MSysAccounts
Hi, Converting run-time applications from Access 97 to Access 2000 with user level security in place, using a Workgroup Information File originally created with Access 2.0, generates the error 'Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission on 'MSysAccounts''. The KB article says this can only be corrected by re-creating the Workgroup Information File in Access 2000; in order to do that, you need the original name, organization, and Workgroup ID used in the original Workgroup Information File. This information was lost with the predecessor before my predecessor. 2 que...

.xls attachment
Hi, can anyone help me? I'm quite new to the whole computer/techno life and have been trying for over 2 hours to find what I want! A friend has sent an e-mail with an attachment which has a .xls file extension. However I try, I am unable to open the attachment. I've downloaded various software at 'my machine's' recommendation including a works conversion thing for Word but still no luck. I hope it's something really simple which can be sorted by someone with a bit of a clue but I'm starting to get tied up in knots. I wouldn't mind but the attachment soun...

remove attachment on reply
Some how I have set my outlook to save the replying email as an atachment and I would prefer it just be in the text form like before. Apparently I changed something or hit something that did this and I wold like to fix it. To delete attachments from messages in Outlook: Double-click on the desired message to open it in its own window. Click on the attachment you want to remove with the right mouse button. Select Remove from the menu. Close the message window. Click OK in the Do you want to save changes? dialog. calender, items, reaccuring, wrote: >Some how I have set my...

Outlooks Attachments
when i attach any attachments in a new e-mail they attach in the writing plane and thus cant be opened by my friends. If i reply the attachments go in the right place - on the subject bar. HELP PLEASE!! change your message format to plain text or html, you're using RTF right now. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outl...

Creating an Outlook 2007 macro that attaches a signature to new me
Hi, I'm new to macro creation and have several questions. I created code that adds a random signature to an open message window. Now I need to find a way to execute this code every time the user creates a new message window (new message, reply, forward). How can this be done? Following up on this I need to know what I can do with the macro code to "install" it within several Outlook 2007 instances. 1) See the NewInspector event. 2) http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=28 -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories:...

Blocked access to unsafe attachments
HELP! I have received an update to a client's office software and now Outlook is telling me that I cannot save the "potentially unsafe attachment." I do not remember doing anything that would cause this and I have tried to tweak the Security Settings to no avail. I need this file for tomorrow and have looked all over MS's site only to see that there is nothing that can be done for a "Level 1 (EXE) file" -- any help would be greatly appreciated. Mac See the following pages for help with this: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm http://www.slipstick....

Rule that applies to attachments
Outlook 2002. I don't see how to create a rule that applies to attachments. I.e., I want to move a message that has an attachment with a specific name to a specified folder. Am I missing something or is this not possible? ...

Forget to attach attachment
Once in awhile, in my hectic days, I forget to attach a file to an email. Is there a way in Outlook to prevent an email from being sent when I use the word 'attachment' in the body of the email when I forget to attach the file? I'd rather not use a 3rd party product to accomplish this. You can build it in with a little VBA code. See http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=553 -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "NH...

Outlook XP sending emails with attachments over and over
Hi, outlook xp keeps sending emails with attachments over and over again, the email remains in my outbox. Emails without attachements send normally Another user on my machine has the same problem with outlook, he does not use I hate spam at all. Outlook Express works fine.(but i don't want to use it), webmail works fine as well. while its sending, i get error messages: Task 'mail.iinet.com.au - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0B) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCC0B' Task 'mail.iinet.com.au - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed ...

Unsafe attachments!!
Hi there, OE keeps removing items it denotes as unsafe attachments, ie pictures from friends,despite the fact that I know all is ok with them. Any ideas how I can stop it dong this? Many thanks Darren Darren Sampson wrote: > Hi there, > > OE keeps removing items it denotes as unsafe attachments, ie pictures > from friends,despite the fact that I know all is ok with them. Any > ideas how I can stop it dong this? > > Many thanks > Darren Tools-Options-Security for the 250,000th time! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003 from the Office suit...

Sending in a attachment that i did not attach
When i send from Outlook it sends a attachment called winmail.dat I do not think it is anything BUT how do i get rid of it sending it as a lot of my customer emaikl systems are blocking my email as a virus THXS Steve "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DB656EF-A0E0-487B-8FAF-55F11B6A8F39@microsoft.com... > When i send from Outlook it sends a attachment called winmail.dat I do not > think it is anything BUT how do i get rid of it sending it as a lot of my > customer emaikl systems are blocking my email as a virus > > THXS Steve ...