Attachment Problems.

Recently users have been complaining about errors when sending attachments.
What is going on is they are sending attachments and are able to view those
attachments in their sent items folders but the recipient is not able to open
the attachments.  I've checked my event viewer and I keep getting Event ID
1221 which is stating that online defragmentation has terminated with 3
megabytes of free space, but when I look at my hard drive space I have over
63 Gigs of free space.  Does this event ID have anything to do with my
attachment problems?  Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

0
Rito (13)

Totally unrelated.  The online defrag process indicates how much white space
exists in the Exchange databases.

As far as your attachment problem, have you tested sending to an external
account that you have (Yahoo, hotmail, etc.)?  Do they come over
successfully that way?  How are you encoding the messages?  Unicode?  ISO?
What about format?  Rich-text?  Plain Text?  HTML?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently users have been complaining about errors when sending
> attachments.
> What is going on is they are sending attachments and are able to view
> those
> attachments in their sent items folders but the recipient is not able to
> open
> the attachments.  I've checked my event viewer and I keep getting Event ID
> 1221 which is stating that online defragmentation has terminated with 3
> megabytes of free space, but when I look at my hard drive space I have
> over
> 63 Gigs of free space.  Does this event ID have anything to do with my
> attachment problems?  Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

0
Ben
8/9/2005 3:51:07 PM
Ben - The problem is occuring with both internal and external users, on our
Exchange 2003 server both the POP3 & IMAP4 virtual servers have the following
settings: the messages are being encoded in MIME/Both plain text and HTML
allowed and the character set is ISO 8859-1.  Again thanks for your help......

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Totally unrelated.  The online defrag process indicates how much white space
> exists in the Exchange databases.
>
> As far as your attachment problem, have you tested sending to an external
> account that you have (Yahoo, hotmail, etc.)?  Do they come over
> successfully that way?  How are you encoding the messages?  Unicode?  ISO?
> What about format?  Rich-text?  Plain Text?  HTML?
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently users have been complaining about errors when sending
> > attachments.
> > What is going on is they are sending attachments and are able to view
> > those
> > attachments in their sent items folders but the recipient is not able to
> > open
> > the attachments.  I've checked my event viewer and I keep getting Event ID
> > 1221 which is stating that online defragmentation has terminated with 3
> > megabytes of free space, but when I look at my hard drive space I have
> > over
> > 63 Gigs of free space.  Does this event ID have anything to do with my
> > attachment problems?  Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

0
Rito (13)
8/9/2005 4:32:05 PM
So what is the error that the recipients are getting?  Do you have any 3rd
party software on your Exchange server, such as Antivirus or Antispam
software?

Does the same issue occur regardless of what format you choose (plain text,
html)?  What about with different clients?  Does it work if you log on with
OWA?

--

> Ben - The problem is occuring with both internal and external users, on
> our
> Exchange 2003 server both the POP3 & IMAP4 virtual servers have the
> following
> settings: the messages are being encoded in MIME/Both plain text and HTML
> allowed and the character set is ISO 8859-1.  Again thanks for your
> help......
>

> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Totally unrelated.  The online defrag process indicates how much white
>> space
>> exists in the Exchange databases.
>>
>> As far as your attachment problem, have you tested sending to an external
>> account that you have (Yahoo, hotmail, etc.)?  Do they come over
>> successfully that way?  How are you encoding the messages?  Unicode?
>> ISO?
>> What about format?  Rich-text?  Plain Text?  HTML?
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Recently users have been complaining about errors when sending
>> > attachments.
>> > What is going on is they are sending attachments and are able to view
>> > those
>> > attachments in their sent items folders but the recipient is not able
>> > open
>> > the attachments.  I've checked my event viewer and I keep getting Event
>> > ID
>> > 1221 which is stating that online defragmentation has terminated with 3
>> > megabytes of free space, but when I look at my hard drive space I have
>> > over
>> > 63 Gigs of free space.  Does this event ID have anything to do with my
>> > attachment problems?  Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

0
Ben
8/9/2005 5:18:02 PM
Ben - I just took off today a demo 3rd party piece of softare called Policy
Patrol which monitors messages, and the server does have Symantec Mail
Security for Exchange and Symantec Anti-Virus but I'm pretty sure that I made
all of the necessary scanning exclustions.   The users aren't really getting
an error they just aren't gettting the attachment.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> So what is the error that the recipients are getting?  Do you have any 3rd
> party software on your Exchange server, such as Antivirus or Antispam
> software?
>
> Does the same issue occur regardless of what format you choose (plain text,
> html)?  What about with different clients?  Does it work if you log on with
> OWA?
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ben - The problem is occuring with both internal and external users, on
> > our
> > Exchange 2003 server both the POP3 & IMAP4 virtual servers have the
> > following
> > settings: the messages are being encoded in MIME/Both plain text and HTML
> > allowed and the character set is ISO 8859-1.  Again thanks for your
> > help......
> >

> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Totally unrelated.  The online defrag process indicates how much white
> >> space
> >> exists in the Exchange databases.
> >>
> >> As far as your attachment problem, have you tested sending to an external
> >> account that you have (Yahoo, hotmail, etc.)?  Do they come over
> >> successfully that way?  How are you encoding the messages?  Unicode?
> >> ISO?
> >> What about format?  Rich-text?  Plain Text?  HTML?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >> MessageOne
> >>

> >> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Rito (13)
8/9/2005 5:42:02 PM
If the attachment isn't arriving, something is stripping it.  My guess would
be Mail Security for Exchange, as it is an Exchange AV scanner that can be
configured to block attachments.  Try disabling it temporarily and see if
that was it.  Exchange cannot strip attachments itself, so a 3rd party
product is required for that.

Note - this is not the same thing as Outlook blocking access to certain
attachments.  That is controlled by Outlook, not Exchange, plus you would
see a little message from Outlook showing that it blocked access to a
certain attachment and would show you the name of the attachment.

--

> Ben - I just took off today a demo 3rd party piece of softare called
> Policy
> Patrol which monitors messages, and the server does have Symantec Mail
> Security for Exchange and Symantec Anti-Virus but I'm pretty sure that I
> made
> all of the necessary scanning exclustions.   The users aren't really
> getting
> an error they just aren't gettting the attachment.
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> So what is the error that the recipients are getting?  Do you have any
>> 3rd
>> party software on your Exchange server, such as Antivirus or Antispam
>> software?
>>
>> Does the same issue occur regardless of what format you choose (plain
>> text,
>> html)?  What about with different clients?  Does it work if you log on
>> with
>> OWA?
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ben - The problem is occuring with both internal and external users, on
>> > our
>> > Exchange 2003 server both the POP3 & IMAP4 virtual servers have the
>> > following
>> > settings: the messages are being encoded in MIME/Both plain text and
>> > HTML
>> > allowed and the character set is ISO 8859-1.  Again thanks for your
>> > help......

0
Ben
8/9/2005 5:56:37 PM
Thanks I'll try that in regards to the 1221 event ID how do I resolve that?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> If the attachment isn't arriving, something is stripping it.  My guess would
> be Mail Security for Exchange, as it is an Exchange AV scanner that can be
> configured to block attachments.  Try disabling it temporarily and see if
> that was it.  Exchange cannot strip attachments itself, so a 3rd party
> product is required for that.
>
> Note - this is not the same thing as Outlook blocking access to certain
> attachments.  That is controlled by Outlook, not Exchange, plus you would
> see a little message from Outlook showing that it blocked access to a
> certain attachment and would show you the name of the attachment.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ben - I just took off today a demo 3rd party piece of softare called
> > Policy
> > Patrol which monitors messages, and the server does have Symantec Mail
> > Security for Exchange and Symantec Anti-Virus but I'm pretty sure that I
> > made
> > all of the necessary scanning exclustions.   The users aren't really
> > getting
> > an error they just aren't gettting the attachment.
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> So what is the error that the recipients are getting?  Do you have any
> >> 3rd
> >> party software on your Exchange server, such as Antivirus or Antispam
> >> software?
> >>
> >> Does the same issue occur regardless of what format you choose (plain
> >> text,
> >> html)?  What about with different clients?  Does it work if you log on
> >> with
> >> OWA?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >> MessageOne
> >>

> >> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Rito (13)
8/9/2005 6:21:02 PM
Is it an error or a warning?  Usually, event 1221 is an Informational event
that simply shows the amount of white space.  There isn't anything you
should be doing with it provided it is just an information event.

--

> Thanks I'll try that in regards to the 1221 event ID how do I resolve
> that?
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If the attachment isn't arriving, something is stripping it.  My guess
>> would
>> be Mail Security for Exchange, as it is an Exchange AV scanner that can
>> be
>> configured to block attachments.  Try disabling it temporarily and see if
>> that was it.  Exchange cannot strip attachments itself, so a 3rd party
>> product is required for that.
>>
>> Note - this is not the same thing as Outlook blocking access to certain
>> attachments.  That is controlled by Outlook, not Exchange, plus you would
>> see a little message from Outlook showing that it blocked access to a
>> certain attachment and would show you the name of the attachment.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>>

>> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ben - I just took off today a demo 3rd party piece of softare called
>> > Policy
>> > Patrol which monitors messages, and the server does have Symantec Mail
>> > Security for Exchange and Symantec Anti-Virus but I'm pretty sure that
>> > made
>> > all of the necessary scanning exclustions.   The users aren't really
>> > getting
>> > an error they just aren't gettting the attachment.

0
Ben
8/9/2005 7:39:26 PM
It is just an information event.  Thank you for all your help your the
man......

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Is it an error or a warning?  Usually, event 1221 is an Informational event
> that simply shows the amount of white space.  There isn't anything you
> should be doing with it provided it is just an information event.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks I'll try that in regards to the 1221 event ID how do I resolve
> > that?
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> If the attachment isn't arriving, something is stripping it.  My guess
> >> would
> >> be Mail Security for Exchange, as it is an Exchange AV scanner that can
> >> be
> >> configured to block attachments.  Try disabling it temporarily and see if
> >> that was it.  Exchange cannot strip attachments itself, so a 3rd party
> >> product is required for that.
> >>
> >> Note - this is not the same thing as Outlook blocking access to certain
> >> attachments.  That is controlled by Outlook, not Exchange, plus you would
> >> see a little message from Outlook showing that it blocked access to a
> >> certain attachment and would show you the name of the attachment.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >> MessageOne
> >>

> >> "Rito" <Rito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Rito (13)

uuencoded attachment from mailx is embedded instead of attached
Since I applied the August 2004 version of the post ex2000 sp3 roll-up and the latest April Microsoft secuirty patches, when our unix mailx app sends mail to our Exchange 2k server, the uuencoded attachment is embedded in the body of the message instead of being received as an attachment. Being embedded in the message body turns it into unuseable garbage. We have not made any changes to the unix box, only the exchange box. Has anyone else experienced this problem or anyone know what the solution may be? Thanks ...

screen resolution => vertical graph title problems
Hi, I have faced a problem caused by screen resolution. I have compaq n 7010, which has a screen 1280x800 pixels. This resolution makes me problems with the vertical axes titles i excel graphs, it just cut off the last part of the title. If I chang the screen resolution to 1024x768 the problem is fixed but this is no appropriate resolution that is why it is impossible to work with it. I will be grateful if anyone has a solution for the mentioned problem. bartel -- bartel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bartelj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.c...

Printing

exchange 5.5 problem #7
i have a client with a mid-sized exchange 5.5 setup. ive pushed forever to upgrade to no avail. so 5.5 is what im stuck with here. problem is lately the outgoing queue will have upwards of 50,000 messages in it, all originating from foreign ip addresses. it seems no matter what we do we cant get this server to stop acting as an open relay... any suggestions? On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:46:39 GMT, <jjd228@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote: >i have a client with a mid-sized exchange 5.5 setup. ive pushed forever to >upgrade to no avail. so 5.5 is what im stuck with here. problem is late...

Attachment Read only
Hi, When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 Rgds Dear, It seems you are opening the attachment in OL Reading preview - Open the mail(double click on the mail) and then read the attachment. Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Jsingh" wrote: > Hi, > > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not > readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 > > Rgds > Jsingh, you wrote on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:03:02 -0800: > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually i...

Attach a file in knowledge base
Hi all, Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doesn't make sense to only type it in or copy the text into the article. Thanks in advance, DK. I had the same problem and apparently this is not a feature in MS CRM 3.0. According to a CRM representative the answer is that you cannot attach a document to a knowledge base article. "DK" wrote: > Hi all, > > Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an > article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doe...

Automaticly open attachment and print attachment
Hello, Is there a way to automaticly open a attachment and print it? I played with the rules wizard but there i can only get the message openend and printed. I use Outlook 2003 Thanks. You'll need a 3rd party utility. Look for solutions here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http:/...

Outlook v7
There seems to be a problem with my Outlookv7 - whenever I retrieve email, they are sent to Junk mail folder, and not the InBox. What could be causing this? Thanks for any insights. Charliec Hard to tell with this level of details. Verify your Junk E-mail settings in; Tools-> Options...-> button Junk E-mail... Also check if you have any rules configured which might cause this; Tools-> Rules and Alerts... If you have a 3rd party Junk Email filter installed, also check the settings for that. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Out...

Problem with TLS (smtp) on E2k3.
Our server smtp logs shows an incoming connection from a site with just STARTTLS (cs-method) and 220 (sc-status)... It seems a few such sites can't send email to us because of the TLS configuration. I've searched around and can't find any reference to sharing the smtp config to allow both normal smtp and TLS (secure) email connection. Any advice will be appreciated... rgds, - ron Oh yes, also, it shows a 503 status after the 220 status... "Ronnie Corny" <ronniecorny@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23TklBN4VGHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Our server ...

How to Find the Message that contained The Attachment of a Known File-Name.
Is there some way to search through a list of emails in Outlook 2003 to find the one that contains an attachment of a specific file name? I am often trying to track down the message that accompanied an attachment with a known file-name amongst thousands of messages in one mailbox. Regards, AndyH If attached to an Exchange server, I would, as an admin, use a utility server-side. From the client, I'm not sure Outlook can do it on its own. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Some of the desktop search applications have this functionality though. "AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au&g...

resizing problem with group boxes
hi, i have a dialog based application that has group box controls in it. the group box controls have edit boxes in them. the problem is that when i resize the dialog box, i also resize the group box and all the edit boxes within it. the resizing takes place fine. however the edit controls in the group box get resized twice once with the group box and the next time when done for each edit control. this is causing unnecessary flickering. can any of u guys give me some solutions? regards, kevin You are suggesting that Group Box controls have edit controls "in them". This relationship...

Oulook 2000 Blocking Attachments! Reposted
Hi ONG, I am running Ms-Outlook 2000 Service pack 3, on a Windows pro 2000 Service pack 4. Standalone machine. Recently my mail client has been blocking my email attachments, i have received two replies from the newsgroup describing Level1 security in Outlook, also a link to a site containing all the releative information regarding the subject. But no matter what i try Outlook still wont allow the access to the attachment. I created the new Key and the necessary String Value, i have even tried to use the ( . ) character before the file ext, also i have tried it without the ( .) character, no...

attachments do not forward
I want to forward e-mails which come to me with attachments. I want these attachments to forward along with the message and they do not. How can I make this happen? Is there a setting to enable this? ...

Add-in problem
On trying to create the first email message each time after starting Outlook 2007, I get the following message: The Add-inn "FaxExtension" (C:\Windows\System32\fxsext32.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update is available, please uninstall the Add-in. After clicking the OK button on the messsage everything works fine. I have looked at the Add-ins in Outllook (Tools>Trust Center>Add-ins) but don't see this add-in, nor can I find the fxsext32.dll in the System32 folder. I had tried ...

Problem with Outlook 2002
I just installed SP3, and now, whenever I start a new message or repply to a message, I get a prompt asking my permission to allow another program to access my Outlook contacts. I use MS Word 2002 as my email editor, and when I disable Word, the annoying Yes/No prompt goes away. But I want to be able to use Word within Outlook without this prompt. Any ideas? Scott <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed SP3, and now, whenever I start a new > message or repply to a message, I get a prompt asking my > permission to allow another program to access my...

Meeting room booking conflicts in Exchange 2000 \ Outlook XP problem #2
Hi, We have a Citrix based Windows 2000 domain, running Exchange 2000 server and Outlook XP client. Meeting rooms are booked in our organistaion through an Outlook calendar (one for each room). This is done in the following way: The user creates a new appointment in Outlook The 'add others' buttons is depressed. Users are invited via the address books 'required' and 'optional' buttons, while the room is selected through the 'resources' buttons. The user pres...

Editing attachments in Outlook XP
If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in the email? Has anyone ever seen it not save the edits at all? It may be in a secure folder under the Temporary Internet Folder as per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296115 "DonnaC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052d01c3be9b$44ebd3a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make > edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in > the email? > Has anyone ever seen it...

Hyperlink Problems
When clicking on a hyperlink, the following error message appears: "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." This is a stand alone pc operating xp - no system administrator. Help! ...

attachments.......
Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. Thanks, Crank down the internal message size limits to a value that makes sense to you. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:03:07 -0500, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I >am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. > > >Thanks, > > ...

Have to scroll to see full list of attachments in Outlook 2007?
A colleague of mine keeps sending me HTML emails in Outlook with multiple attachments, but the full list of attachments does not appear all at once on the screen. There is a scroll bar on the FAR right next to the attachments, and you have to scroll down through the list of attachments to see all of the attachments (I can send a screen shot to better explain this). So for example, if an email has four attachments, I only see the first three on the screen, and then I have to scroll down to see the fourth attachment. This is very confusing as I can easily "miss" an attach...

scatter chart x axis problem
The data is in three columns. My client wants the values in column 1 to also be the x-axis values. Is this possible? Nothing that I have tried has worked. Thanks in advance. Suzan Suzan - If you're making an XY Scatter chart, Excel automatically uses the first column as the X values, and uses the rest of the columns for Y values for one less series than you've selected columns. If you're making a line chart, Excel usually uses each column of data as Y values for another series, and uses counting numbers (1, 2, 3,..) for the category values. To help Excel realize what you...

print out messages with list of attachments
Hello there, when printing out a message/email in full, how do I get outlook t print the list of attachments? Cheers, Wi ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com found it in the newsgroups :-) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821840 ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Problem with startup
I hate to ask a question so silly. I have done something to my startup and can't display anything other than a form. I can't see my tgable, queries, etc. Can't figure out what I've done to get myself messed up. Any suggestions? Hold your shift key down when opening and then go to TOOLS > STARTUP and make sure the DISPLAY DATABASE WINDOW checkbox is checked, if you want the db window to be there when you open the database. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com If my post was helpful to you, plea...

Font problems
I downloaded a couple of TTF fonts, as I have done in the past, and they are not appearing in any MS application (Word, Publisher, Excel, OutlookX). In the windows/fonts folder they appear as the others do, but they are not visible in the software. I also tried to delete some fonts that I no longer need and they say they say Access Denied. Please email responses. I may never find this newsgroup again. ...

remove attachment on reply
Some how I have set my outlook to save the replying email as an atachment and I would prefer it just be in the text form like before. Apparently I changed something or hit something that did this and I wold like to fix it. To delete attachments from messages in Outlook: Double-click on the desired message to open it in its own window. Click on the attachment you want to remove with the right mouse button. Select Remove from the menu. Close the message window. Click OK in the Do you want to save changes? dialog. calender, items, reaccuring, wrote: >Some how I have set my...