Archiving of Email

I have a client running SBS2003. He wants to be able to archive all emails
form his users. He also wants to be able to remove user accounts when
employees leave, but still have an archived version of the mail.To me, once
the user is gone, the mailbox becomes orphaned.
Can anyone please help me with suggestions and advise?
0
dp1 (49)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:33:02 -0700, DP <DP@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a client running SBS2003. He wants to be able to archive all emails
>form his users. He also wants to be able to remove user accounts when
>employees leave, but still have an archived version of the mail.To me, once
>the user is gone, the mailbox becomes orphaned.
>Can anyone please help me with suggestions and advise?

Tricky one since you're only running SBS.
SBS is limited in the storage you can have so Journaling the store
(free) isn't too much of an option purely on space grounds.
SBS also often means "short of cash" so another server to archive off
to might not be possible. In the event that you can spend, take a look
at www.gfi.com who have a good solution at a decent price.
0
mark7219 (5666)
8/18/2006 6:44:09 PM
Archiving in Exchange will send a *copy* of all inbound and outbound mail to
a mailbox of your choosing.  If you remove a user account, there would be no
new mail archived for that user, but the old archived e-mail would still be
present.  You can set archiving on the properties of the Mailbox Store (it
may be called Journaling in ESM).

Please note, that the archiving capability in Exchange is very limited, and
archiving all mail for any period of time would result in a humongous
mailbox that would be virtually un-openable by Outlook (all of the items get
stored in the Inbox) .  If you do enable archiving, I'd recommend to set up
a Mailbox Manager policy so that the mailbox you choose to archive to
doesn't end up like that.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"DP" <DP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client running SBS2003. He wants to be able to archive all emails
> form his users. He also wants to be able to remove user accounts when
> employees leave, but still have an archived version of the mail.To me,
> once
> the user is gone, the mailbox becomes orphaned.
> Can anyone please help me with suggestions and advise?

0
Ben
8/18/2006 6:51:04 PM
Archive Manager from Quest Software can archive all mail without the need
for journaling (although journaling can be used too). Pretty easty install,
and compatible with SBS. Your client would probably want to dedicate a
server to Archive Manager, though.

"DP" <DP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client running SBS2003. He wants to be able to archive all emails
> form his users. He also wants to be able to remove user accounts when
> employees leave, but still have an archived version of the mail.To me,
> once
> the user is gone, the mailbox becomes orphaned.
> Can anyone please help me with suggestions and advise?

0
missy5697 (66)
8/18/2006 10:12:12 PM
Here's a list of stuff to look at.

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/partners/2003/compliance.asp

"DP" <DP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client running SBS2003. He wants to be able to archive all emails
> form his users. He also wants to be able to remove user accounts when
> employees leave, but still have an archived version of the mail.To me,
> once
> the user is gone, the mailbox becomes orphaned.
> Can anyone please help me with suggestions and advise?

0
exchange.mvp (559)
8/19/2006 2:38:20 AM
Thanks guys.

"Andrew Sword [MVP]" wrote:

> Here's a list of stuff to look at.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/partners/2003/compliance.asp
>

> "DP" <DP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a client running SBS2003. He wants to be able to archive all emails
> > form his users. He also wants to be able to remove user accounts when
> > employees leave, but still have an archived version of the mail.To me,
> > once
> > the user is gone, the mailbox becomes orphaned.
> > Can anyone please help me with suggestions and advise?

0
dp1 (49)

"from and to" are blank on recieved emails causing timeout error!
I have a just loaded Exchange server 2003 and all seems well except when a blank (only have partial ID's) spam email is sent to users. Exchange will not let it be downloaded to the client (user) with Outlook or Outlook Express. It will hang and gives the client emails just up to the the blank spam. This will continue when the time comes up to check mail again. Clients end up with copies of the same email over and over again till they close there mail client. EX. is one client may have 50 emails coming in and the "blank email spam" is number 30. The client will get the...

email in Outlook
I have a hotmail account for my email. I was able to succesfully add this account to Outlook so that I can now access hotmail through Outlook. However, I also have an Ipaq Pocket PC, and I am trying to download my email from this hotmail account to my IPAQ when I sync. Unfortunately, the default Inbox account is the only one that seems to sync. I don't have any email going to that account, so my inbox on my IPAQ is always empty. Does anyone know how to switch this so that my outlook hotmail account will sync to my ipaq? Thanks! Clark <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.co...

I'm getting a protocol error when I send emails through outlook.
I set my outlook to retrieve messages from my webmail account through Cox. Yesterday my virusscanner, McAfee, started reporting protocol errors. When I click the error is reads: "response received is 552: the message exceeds the system limit of 200 and was not sent. consult the online help for your email program for more information on the error. Contact your email provider if the problem persists". I have contacted cox and they say there is nothing wrong with either the SMTP or the POP. I guess I'm turning to you all for answers as to how I can fix this. Additional...

Email 'From' field showing email address and not full name?
I've looked everywhere and can't find anything on this issue. I'm running Exchange 2003 on a Server 2000 box. When we email to outside servers (yahoo, gmail, etc) the from field shows the user's email address (eg: bob@microsoft.com) instead of their name (eg: Bob Jones). I've verified that the Display Name, Alias, and Simple Display Name fields in exchange all have the user's First and Last name. Any ideas, I'm stumped. Thanks, Chris Yes that's a hard one to find. In ESM go into Global Settings and click Internet Message Formats. Then in the right pane, rig...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Word as Email editor
Using Word as the editor, each time Outlook is opened, 2 other word items are opened at the same time and are unclosable. Any ideas for a solution? ...

Adding legal disclaimer to outgoing emails.
How can I add a legal disclaimer to all outgoing emails from our corporation? Unless you are using Exch 5.5, you need a third party tool. These range from a $1 per user tool, to a $10,000 tool. Depending on you requirements. Do you need 1 disclaimer for the whole company, do you want disclaimers per department or user group etc.... "pcdktr" <pcdktr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA04F9E7-77E2-4E45-BBF1-B2A4BB446DD5@microsoft.com... > How can I add a legal disclaimer to all outgoing emails from our > corporation? For now just 1 for the whole...

Automatically adding a signature to an email in CRM
Any suggestion on how to add a signature automatically in a new email activity in MS CRM 3.0? Thank you, Ed Podowski Hello Ed, Try our Email-Signature for MS CRM 3.0. You can get detailed information at www.mscrm-addons.com. Regards, Christian Ternek _________________________ www.mscrm-addons.com Your company for MS-CRM ADD-ONS! WordMailMerge for MS CRM GroupCalendar for MS CRM Telephone Integration for MS CRM EmailSignature for MS CRM > Any suggestion on how to add a signature automatically in a new email > activity in MS CRM 3.0? > > Thank you, Ed Podowski > Cre...

Workflows- Emails to be sent from Queue's Email ID
Hi, Can we have a workflow in which e-mails can be sent from queue's email id instead of owner who created the workflow? we would like to have e-mails to be sent from workflow engine using two generic e-mail add. like support@abc.com or customercare@abc.com any suggestion would be welcome Thanks in advance. Regards, TAPAN DESAI. I too was wondering the same thing. The whole workflow process is almost useless on a conversion as well. Since all of the contacts are already "Created" and there was no workflow process in place while they were created to "wait" fo...

Email of Statements
Can you use another pdf Writer other than Adobe for this feature No, you must use Adobe to use this particular feature. Kind of odd, isn't it? -- Charles Allen, MVP "rcr" wrote: > Can you use another pdf Writer other than Adobe for this feature yes and no. When print to pdf was added - 6.0 i think - there weren't many other options for creating pdf's. OK, now there are. But OK which ones do we add support for? Them all? Support for PDF output must support being able to automatically name the created output file without intervention. And I assume many bu...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

Metadata add in for email?
Is there a way to add metadata from a table to an outgoing email? Such as a customers company code, company name. ...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

Forwarding emails from other accounts
I have a hotmail, school, yahoo, and many more email accounts. It would be convienient if i could forward all my mail to one place. I'm sure it is possible to dao, but not sure how. Can anyone help me out? That's the purpose of Windows Mail. You first have to set up each account via Tools - Accounts. Note that each will have specific server names, ports, e-addresses, and various other settings. It is best to get that info from the email providers ahead of time. Check their websites or call appropriate support persons. "Christopher Charles O" <Christo...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

Email tracked without token
All our users have the track token email only However some emails are track without token in CRM. They are unattach to an account or activites. How do get ride of the unwanted& ...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

Forwarding EMail #8
Hi, I want to automatically forward email messages a user receive to another exchange user. Eg, user1 receives email and a copy of this message will automatically forward to his manager. If can, how and where to configure this setting? Thank you. On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 23:01:01 -0700, Alice <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I want to automatically forward email messages a user receive to another >exchange user. Eg, user1 receives email and a copy of this message will >automatically forward to his manager. If can, how and where to configure this >sett...

Archive an Archive?
LOL, i'm sure this will sound like a dumb idea but ... I want to set up a sorta two tier archive system ... Archive once to keep the PST folders small say keep everything within the last 3 months in the first archive have it accessable say for the last years worth of email, but archive anything older then a year to a new archive folder that can be burned off to a dvd or cd for filing.. Any thoughts or recommendations? Use Auto-archiving feature in Outlook to do this. You could set it up so it archives mail older than 12 months to a file named archive.pst and burn that pst file ...

Reject email
I have an SBS 2003 server with 5 users. I get email delivered directly to my Exchange Server (within sbs 2003). I want to reject all email except that which is sent to a valid email address within my company. CUrrently, any email address will be accepted. How do I do this? What you describe is certainly not standard behavior. Where are the invalid e-mail addresses delivered? Are you talking about a POP connector? If that's what you're talking about, you should post your question to an SBS newsgroup since the POP connector is specific to SBS. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange &quo...

archived messages #2
i recently archived a large number of messages from the last year or so, but when i open the .pst file in outlook 2000 it says that there are no files contained. i know there is data there because the .pst file reads a size of 162MB on my drive. where is this info and why can i not access it? also, everytime i view the properties[advanced properties] for this file there is a check box selected that reads "file is ready for archiving" which none of my other archive files have checked. but once i uncheck that box and try to open the file it resets that option to the way it...

Read Email From Database
I have a database that users use to track information received via outlook email. However, the supervisor would like to view the email from the database. Is there a way view the information from the email in a text box on the form or will it have to be a link in the table? Can this even be done in access? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. On Oct 16, 11:15 am, efua20 <efu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a database that users use to track information received via outlook > email. However, the supervisor would like to view the email from the > database....

HTML content not showing in emails
I am having a problem where any pictures in email are being replaced with URL's, it started when I was using Office XP and tried upgrading to Outlook 2003 but still not fixed. I went in to Tools>Options>security>change automatic download settings and unchecked the boxes. I also set my Zone settings to internet but still no pictures, every picture is replaced with a URL. I also went into the Outlook Secure Temp folder and emptied it, below is an example of what I mean. Any email that has a lot of web content shows up with tons of URL's to all the pictures. It is very fr...