Archiving Exchange 1007

We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007.

I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails.

Adrian

0
nospam9607 (138)

It should of course have read 'Archiving Exchange 2007'!

"Adrian" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007.
>
> I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails.

> Adrian

0
nospam9607 (138)
2/28/2007 11:53:28 AM
As with previous versions of Exchange, 2007 has Journaling.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/default.aspx

You can also use third party solutions.

Veritas/Symantec Enterprise Vault.
Zantaz EAS
Iron Mountain etc

They are a mix of inhouse and external solutions.

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
2/28/2007 12:07:35 PM
Oliver,

Thank you for your reply.

I am still trying to understand the terminology associated with Exchange.
Microsoft says: "Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 lets you record all e-mail
messages that pass through computers that have the Hub Transport server role
installed. This process, which is called journaling,..".

Is this the same as what I would call archiving? What I am thinking of is
that when email messages for a user are, say, 6 months old they would be
'moved' (archived) somewhere else. For example with our current GroupWise
system emails are archived to a folder on a different drive from the user's
main emails, but can be accessed from their client if they choose to look at
their archives. We can back up these archives just once as they will never
change, and eventually put them on tape or DVD and restore them if
necessary. We do not require anything too sophisticated and we are a fairly
small company (30 users).

I appreciate Exchange storage system is completely different to GroupWise.

Thanks again,

Adrian

"Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> As with previous versions of Exchange, 2007 has Journaling.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/default.aspx
>

> You can also use third party solutions.
>
> Veritas/Symantec Enterprise Vault.
> Zantaz EAS
> Iron Mountain etc
>
> They are a mix of inhouse and external solutions.
>
> Oliver

0
nospam9607 (138)
3/1/2007 8:56:25 AM
Further to my message below I found the following at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998649.aspx:

"First, you must understand the difference between journaling and archiving.
Journaling is the ability to record all communications, including e-mail
communications, in an organization for use in the organization's e-mail
retention or archival strategy. Archiving refers to reducing the strain of
storing data by backing up the data, removing it from its native
environment, and storing it elsewhere. That said, you may use Exchange
journaling as a tool in your e-mail retention or archival strategy."

I want archiving and it says I MAY use journaling as a tool in your ....
archival strategy. Does that mean there are other tools I could use, or...?

Confused!

Adrian

> Oliver,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I am still trying to understand the terminology associated with Exchange.
> Microsoft says: "Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 lets you record all e-mail
> messages that pass through computers that have the Hub Transport server
> role installed. This process, which is called journaling,..".
>
> Is this the same as what I would call archiving? What I am thinking of is
> that when email messages for a user are, say, 6 months old they would be
> 'moved' (archived) somewhere else. For example with our current GroupWise
> system emails are archived to a folder on a different drive from the
> user's main emails, but can be accessed from their client if they choose
> to look at their archives. We can back up these archives just once as they
> will never change, and eventually put them on tape or DVD and restore them
> if necessary. We do not require anything too sophisticated and we are a
> fairly small company (30 users).
>
> I appreciate Exchange storage system is completely different to GroupWise.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Adrian
>
> "Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> As with previous versions of Exchange, 2007 has Journaling.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/default.aspx
>>

>> You can also use third party solutions.
>>
>> Veritas/Symantec Enterprise Vault.
>> Zantaz EAS
>> Iron Mountain etc
>>
>> They are a mix of inhouse and external solutions.
>>
>> Oliver

0
nospam9607 (138)
3/1/2007 9:19:46 AM
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for updating.

Based on my research, there is no other tool related.  Journaling in
Exchange Server 2007 makes use of the new role-based topology in Exchange.
All messages are processed by Hub Transport servers when going to or coming
from Mailbox and Unified Messaging servers, other Exchange systems,
third-party applications, and the Internet. All Hub Transport servers
contain a transport agent called the journaling agent, which is responsible
for applying journal rules to messages. Since the journaling agent is
located on the Hub Transport servers, it encounters and evaluates every
message before the message reaches its recipient. The Journaling agent acts
on messages after categorization-this ensures access to all of the
message's recipient and sender attributes, and it allows the agent to
determine if the message was sent directly to a recipient or if it was
received via distribution group expansion. It can also tell whether the
recipient was on the To, the Cc, or the Bcc lines of a message that
originated from within the Exchange Server 2007 organization.

For more information, please refer to:

More Powerful Journaling in Exchange 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/?relat
ed=/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling

How to Enable Per-Mailbox Database Journaling

Overview of Journaling
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6a20f207-4485-44ef-b010-ec760eb51
65b.aspx

Managing the Journaling Agent

Hope above information helps.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<From: "Adrian" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com>
<Subject: Re: Archiving Exchange 2007
<Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:19:46 -0000
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
<
[...]
<>
<> Thank you for your reply.
<>
[...]
<>>
<>>
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/defaul
t.aspx
<>>
<>>
<>> You can also use third party solutions.
<>>
<>> Veritas/Symantec Enterprise Vault.
<>> Zantaz EAS
<>> Iron Mountain etc
<>>
<>> They are a mix of inhouse and external solutions.
<>>
<>> Oliver
<>>
<>>
<>
<>
<
<
<

0
v-robeli (39)
3/1/2007 12:50:39 PM
On Feb 28, 1:47 pm, "Adrian" <NoS...@Hotmail.com> wrote:
> We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007.
>
> I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails.

> Adrian

A superb option for exchange 2007 would be naxian - www.naxian.co.za.
Competing head on with Zantaz and the other leading products but with
less hassle, better support and a much better price tag!

Matt

0
mwnewnham (8)

Exchange Server removing stripping deleting X-header lines in some stores
The anti-spam solution we use in our company adds specific taglines to the SMTP headers of mail messages, in the form of X-headers, to identify probable spam and virus messages. Our Outlook clients then run Rules that key on those header taglines, and move or delete the probable spam and virus messages. However, our upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange Server 2003 has created a problem in this arena. If the incoming messages are routed through one Exchange Server to a recipient on another Exchange Server, the X-header lines may all be stripped out. I say "may", because this isn...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Move Exchange 2k3 to new HW
I have an Exchange 2k3 Server running on a Windows 2k3 OS, and Cisco Unity. The server is out of warranty and we are having HW problems, so I want to move this to another server. I've seen several processes listed for moving from 2000 to 2003 but I haven't notices anything specifically for moving 2003 to another server. I assume the process is still the same. What is the best/prefered method for moving to the new server? Thanks CharlesW Charles- Are you retaining the same name? That's by far the easiest option. If so, get the new box built to the point that you're joi...

Domain controler for exchange?
Does the server running Microsoft Exchange 2003 standard edition need to be a domain controller as well? I have an windows 2000 Domain controler and the Exchange server is on that domain, but it is not currently a domain controller. i wanted to verify this before i switched the MX record and began testing. Nope. It's "supported" to run Exchange on a Domain Controller, but not recommended. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Vintage" <Vintage@discussions.microsoft.c...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

exchange in child domain
hi, I have a windows 2000 / exchange 2000 parent domain with some child domains, they are also running windows 2000 / exchange 2000. The exchange structure is based on one administrative group, all exchange servers are in this group. Now the question: How can I give the local admins full administrative right on their server, without putting them in the exchange full administrator group (so they would have full rights on every exchange server in all domains). Exchange View Only Administrator + full rights on the local server is also no solution. Has someone made experiences like this? Any...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

upgrading win2k server/ exchange 2000 to Win2003 Server/Exchange 2003?
I'm currently running an Exchange 2000 Server on Windows 2000 server. Is it possible to simply upgrade this box to Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003? Or do I have to install Win2003 Server from scratch (ie reformat the whole box), and then add Exchange 2003? Thanks, Brian You need to upgrade it to Exchange 2003 first, as Exchange 2000 does not run on a Windows 2003 Server, and then you can simply upgrade it to Windows 2003. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Brian T" <pangean@optonline.net> wrote in message news:_...

Replication public folders between Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003
Hi there, One of my customers has the following situation: - Domain: w2k native mode - Exchange 2000 on a member server w2k, exchange also in native mode I build a Exchange 2003 server (with sp1) on w2k3 (sp1) (member) in the same exchange organization. No routing groups so it seems simple. All eventviewers are clear, so no errors. Now I want to replicate the public folders. At all folders I have add the new exchange server as replica, but nothing happens. I've done all the things such as adsiedit (email adress for public folders) and such things. After enable logging on the e2k server th...

Archive an Archive?
LOL, i'm sure this will sound like a dumb idea but ... I want to set up a sorta two tier archive system ... Archive once to keep the PST folders small say keep everything within the last 3 months in the first archive have it accessable say for the last years worth of email, but archive anything older then a year to a new archive folder that can be burned off to a dvd or cd for filing.. Any thoughts or recommendations? Use Auto-archiving feature in Outlook to do this. You could set it up so it archives mail older than 12 months to a file named archive.pst and burn that pst file ...

Exchange 2K install
I am trying to install Exchange 2K on a Windows 2K server. I have 5.5 running on a different Win2K server. During the install it asks me to specify the name of the 5.5 server and I put in LCH02 which is the server name. I then receive an error message saying "Setup encountered an error trying to bind to the exchange server "lch02" The directory service is not the expected type Second I have not run any type of forestprep or domain prep tools because I don't seem to be able to get them to run. How do I run them specifically? How do I do a dcdiag Thanks See http://support.mi...

Move Exchange 2003 Files
I have a need to move all the Exchange data from the soon to be out of room C: partition to another partition (on the same server). My questions are these: 1. Is this a relatively easy procedure? 2. If so, how is this best accomplished? 3. Would it be better to move the data to another partition on the same server, or to another server all together? Thanks in advance. On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:30:16 -0700, "T Rock" <trock@trock.com> wrote: >I have a need to move all the Exchange data from the soon to be out of room >C: partition to another partition (on the sa...

Exchange 5.5 #2
We have a problem that we haven't gotten to fix yet, but in the meantime, our exchange database has a 16 gig limit. It is also getting full. Where can I check to see how much space is left. We ran out once before and I don't want to go through an offline defrag again during business hours. Someone told me it was in the Winnt event viewer. Is this correct? I havent' been able to find anything. Thanks The priv.edb file size limit is 16 GB. To see how much whitespace there is in the database which could be reclaimed as disk space, rather than being overwritten by new em...

archived messages #2
i recently archived a large number of messages from the last year or so, but when i open the .pst file in outlook 2000 it says that there are no files contained. i know there is data there because the .pst file reads a size of 162MB on my drive. where is this info and why can i not access it? also, everytime i view the properties[advanced properties] for this file there is a check box selected that reads "file is ready for archiving" which none of my other archive files have checked. but once i uncheck that box and try to open the file it resets that option to the way it...

Exchange Migration #13
Hello, We are in the process of consolidationg our mail servers to one Exchange server in a new AD structure. The plan for migration is to create a trust between the new and legacy domains and associating the legacy account with the mailbox in the new structure. That was very brief and probably not very accurate but it's just to give you an idea of what we are trying to do. We will have multiple sites connecting to the Exchange server, each site currenty has its own legacy AD domain. My question is, should we place a domain controller for the new AD structure on each of these sit...

Archive
Has there been a resolution to this as I have a member of staff with the exact same problem and I have to give him and endless cap :/ EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Exchange 2k3 public folder Store Database File Grows Unexpectedly
HI, I am running one Exchange 2k3 having 500 + mail boxes and three mail box store. Currently i am facing following problem.. Public folder store database file grows unexpectedly large. Growth rate of pub.edb file is 1 GB per day. Although their is nothing that we have published through public folder. i had gone though this KB815297 but it was for exchange 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815297#XSLTH3123121123120121120120 Can any one help urgently. Sanjay Raval Looking at the public folder store, under Public Folder Instances, do any of these folders seem...

Archive not archiving
Help please. I am trying to archive email folders. Archive runs, creates an archive folder (and .pst file) but does nothing else. i.e no data is moved to the Archive folders. This is not a case of selected date - a lot of this info is 2 years old. No matter what date I select nothing is moved. Same if i try to archive calendar or other folders. I see others have had this problem - is there a solution or is this an outlook problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks D If you are working with an Exchange Server you may want to look at MKBA 297226 and 143376. >-----Original Mes...

Exchange 5.5 Disable User from Sending Internally
Hi All This is a bit of a strange one. I have a customer of mine still running Exchange 5.5 that wish to create a mailbox that a user can log into and receive mail but is unable to send to other users internally to the exchange organisation of externally. For the moment we have set a mailbox size limit to acheive this functionality however the user receives a bounce back when attempting to send , but the customer would prefer that no bounce is received and the sent email disappears into the ether. I am familiar with disabling the ability to send externally however I can't think of a way ...

Moving Exchange 5.5 to new Exchange 5.5 Server
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C44E2A.1247E0F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On my current 5.5 server, I am running Windows 2000 SP2, with Exchange = 5.5 SP4. On the new server, I would like to use Windows 2000 SP4 and = Exchange 5.5 SP4 obviously. My question is this: Will the differences = in Windows Service Packs, affect anything with Exchange 5.5 SP4. I am = planning on implementing the New 5.5 server into the same Site and Org, = and using the Move Mailbox feature, to mo...