After Installing Exchange 2003 SP1

Was there a security change in how Exchange 2003 SP1 receives a message?

Before, I used an SMTP client that sent test messages to my companies email
server (I am the Exchange server Admin), and I would use something like
user@testdomain.com - from home or work.  Now, when I use a none real valid
domain as far as origination (FROM field), I never receive the message.  I
am thinking that there is some DNS to address lookup/verification taking
place and failing thus not being received by Exchange 2003 SP1.

Can someone tell me if this is true or clarify it and tell me where that
setting is?

Thanks.

0
mikey9904 (4)

"Mikey" <mikey@faenza.com> wrote:

>Was there a security change in how Exchange 2003 SP1 receives a message?
>
>Before, I used an SMTP client that sent test messages to my companies email
>server (I am the Exchange server Admin), and I would use something like
>user@testdomain.com - from home or work.  Now, when I use a none real valid
>domain as far as origination (FROM field), I never receive the message.  I
>am thinking that there is some DNS to address lookup/verification taking
>place and failing thus not being received by Exchange 2003 SP1.
>
>Can someone tell me if this is true or clarify it and tell me where that
>setting is?

I don't think SP1 did anything like that. As long as you allow
"Anonymous" authentication Exchange will accept messages from anyone,
provided they're addressed (RCPT TO) a domain for which the server is
responsible.

The SMTP virtual server can be configured to perfrom a "reverse DNS"
lookuup on the IP address, but all that does is to put the name
associated with the IP address into the "Received:" header.

You can check the "Sender Filtering" tab on the Message Delivery
object in the Global Settings container to see if you've blocked
"testdomain.com", but I'd be surprised if you did that and didn't
remember doing it.

Wht other software runs on that server? Is there anti-spam software
that may be doing such checking?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "Mikey" <mikey@faenza.com> wrote:
>
> >Was there a security change in how Exchange 2003 SP1 receives a message?
> >
> >Before, I used an SMTP client that sent test messages to my companies
email
> >server (I am the Exchange server Admin), and I would use something like
> >user@testdomain.com - from home or work.  Now, when I use a none real
valid
> >domain as far as origination (FROM field), I never receive the message.
> >am thinking that there is some DNS to address lookup/verification taking
> >place and failing thus not being received by Exchange 2003 SP1.
> >
> >Can someone tell me if this is true or clarify it and tell me where that
> >setting is?
>
> I don't think SP1 did anything like that. As long as you allow
> "Anonymous" authentication Exchange will accept messages from anyone,
> provided they're addressed (RCPT TO) a domain for which the server is
> responsible.
>
> The SMTP virtual server can be configured to perfrom a "reverse DNS"
> lookuup on the IP address, but all that does is to put the name
> associated with the IP address into the "Received:" header.
>
> You can check the "Sender Filtering" tab on the Message Delivery
> object in the Global Settings container to see if you've blocked
> "testdomain.com", but I'd be surprised if you did that and didn't
> remember doing it.
>
> Wht other software runs on that server? Is there anti-spam software
> that may be doing such checking?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

mikey9904 (4)

Installing Money 2005 Deluxe #2
Can anyone tell me if I can install one copy of Money on my desktop and laptop? Microsoft seems to be keeping it a secret unless I pay $35.00 to ask a question! -- aantaug In microsoft.public.money, Anthony wrote: >Can anyone tell me if I can install one copy of Money on my desktop and laptop? >Microsoft seems to be keeping it a secret unless I pay $35.00 to ask a >question! Yes. That is permitted. Thank you, Cal. I've been all over Microsoft's Web site and couldn't find anything on that. I will purchase MS Money 2k5. By the way, I have been using the trial vers...

Terminal server install domain problem help please
Hi everyone, this is my setup windows 2003 sbs acting as domain controller, exchange, microsoft crm ect windows 2003 standard acting as a terminal server and member server I had a problem with folder redirection which works fine but i manually had to give permission to each individual on the sbs server to the folder redirection folder, is this normal? seems cumbersum My problem is i have install microsoft crm on the 2003 sbs and now i am trying to configure access via the outlook client on the terminal server but i can only get it to work for the administrator. i noticed under the term...

Failed Updates for Excel 2003 (KB978474)
Hi, Does anybody have any idea why the recent update from MS for Excel (KB978474) would not update and what can I do to get this update through? I keep getting the below message and not much of any description what I could do. The problem is that: 1. After failure, the Windows Update does not stop (unless I turn it off manually) and still tries to install this update 2. After each update Excel is somehow corrupted or uninstalled. After attempt to start it, it reinstalls and than runs seemingly OK. I seem to be unable to break this vicious circle. I tried to reinstall Exce...

Exchange and fax
We want to be able to send faxes by email (with attachments) to our client's fax machine. Does anyone know a decent third party add-on product for Exchange 5.5 server (on NT4 OS) that lets us send out faxes by email? Thanks. GFI Essentials FaxMaker for Exchange works well for us and is pretty simple to set up "Ron" <jfkfjdsarewureow@ruioewuroiewvkjhdkghdska.com> wrote in message news:OC3MJHDTFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > We want to be able to send faxes by email (with attachments) to our client's > fax machine. Does anyone know a decent third party add-on...

Microsoft Online Seminars: Prepare Publisher 2003 Files for Commercial Printing
The following link takes you to a series of seminars for Commercial Printers that demonstrate to how to properly and successfully process Publisher 2003 files for professional output. http://www.microsoft.com/Seminar/MMCFeed/MMCDisplay.asp?Lang=en&Product=103384 -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Unable to Join Exchange 5.5 site
Hi all. We're a small company running an exchange 5.5 SP4 server and I'm trying to move to a new server due to hardware problems with the old server. I have a new server and want to put exchange 5.5 on it and simply join the current site and then move the mailboxes over. At any rate, during the install of 5.5 on the new server it stops with the error 'Error during directory replication. Restart the directory replication service. ID no: c1030b0d' Has anyone ever seen this one? I'm kinda stumped. Thanks in advance, Mike does this apply? http://support.microsoft.co...

Error Message in Outlook 2003 #5
Hi all, I Open a mail-item folder such as Inbox and click the New button on the Standard toolbar A blank Message form for creating a new outgoing email message appears. I Complete the Message form and send the message or so I think. I seem to get another dialog box that tells me I cant send as there is a message open already. Any suggestions, cheers, andy. ...

[Exchange 5.5]: Directory Replication Problem
Dear all, I am facing very critical problem I have exchange 5.5 enterprise server connected with 7 exchange 5.5 site. All sites are in different domain with x.400 connector confgiured with two central mail server kept at two different sites. The same topology has been used for directory replication connector. All server are with service pack 2 One of my exchange server goes down due to disk failure. I am using ghost for backup purpose. I restored ghost image which is of one month old on same server with new disk. Server was not at all accepting any directory changes made on another sites. I r...

Can't create new Recipient Update Service in Exchange 2000
Running Exchange 2000 sp3 on Windows 2000 server sp4 I'm trying to create a new Recipient Update Service (for my child domain). I can right click on the Recipient Update Services folder, select new and follow the process through to the end, but when I click finish it pops the error: Access is denied Facility: Win3 ID no: c007000 Exchange System Manage Now all of the research I've done about this problem says to make sure the user acount trying to make the change is allowed Exchange Full Administrator rights and is a member of the local administrator group on the Exchange server. I h...

Exchange 2007 Mail Quotas
Hello, My compnay will be moving from SendMail to Exchange 2007 in the near future. I have no experience with Exchange, and I have some questions on mail quotas. We currently do not use quotas for users mail boxes on the Sendmail server, and my guess is the boss will have me keep it that way when we go to exchange. I figured I should be prepared just in case so I wanted to know the following: At what level are the mail quotas applied? for instance, does everyone in a particular Storage Group or Mail Database have to share the same mail quotas? Or can you give particular people in...

Installing Windows 2003 SP1 on Exchange 2003 SP1
I hope someone can share his/her experience installing Windows 2003 SP1 on Exchange 2003 SP1. I have some front end (exchange 2003 SP1) servers running on windows 2003 server, before upgrading them to exchange SP2 I would like to install W2k3 SP1. Are there any hot fixes needed? Do I have to reinstall Exchange SP1 after I install Windows 2003 SP1 ? Any notes or links (couldn’t find any so far) regarding this issue will be very much appreciated. -- Nawar Aljanabi MCSE NT/2000/2003,MCSA 2003 +M,CCNA Do not need to reinstall Exchange 2003 SP1. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pac...

Can't send email from CRM after installing WSS on Exchange server
Hi, I have major problem after installing Windows SharePoint Services on Exchange server (Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server). Now I can't send emails from CRM any more......error from the log is at the botom.... I have already tried this: 1. I have already corrected mailserverurl in the registry of crm server 2. I have checked permissions in MSCRMConnector folder in IIS of the Exchange Server and its Enabled anonymous access 3. I have configured WSS virtual server to use Kerberos authentiocation (because it was switched off during install, and for that reason my OWA didn't work) ...

Information Store won't start after installing exchange (in child domain) #2
We are installing exchange 2003 in a child domain of a domain tree where an exchange 2003 server already exists in the parent domain. Netdiag and DCDiag were both performed before installation and indicated no problems with the general setup. The account used to install exchange has Full Exchange Administration rights at the org. level. The installation completes without any error messages, but it is impossible to start the information store. The store refuses to start and events 9153, 1121 and 5000 are then logged in the event log. Event 1121: Error 0x8004010f connecting to the Microsoft Ac...

Outlook 2003 #229
I am running XP Professional with Service Pack 2 installed. Outlook 2003 also was updated via Outlook Service Packs. Problem: I open Outlook and it works and also places a icon in task bar. I exit Outlook (not close) and Icon remains in task bar. Also I cannot reopen Outlook in anyway. I must reboot. As PC closes to reboot an error message states the phrase CiceroUlWndFrame. I have used Detect amd Repair but problem remains. Anthony Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in th...

Windows 2003 SBS Max connections / users
I've read some of the previous posts regarding max # of users, unavailable connections, etc however I think I've got a slightly different twist on the issue. I'm running SBS 2003, SP2 - patches up to date, etc. We have 5 original CALs plus an additional 5 DEVICE CALs installed. It is rare for 10 users to be logged in at any one time, but it does happen. The issue I'm having is that occasionally a user will get a message that they can't connect, or their Outlook won't be able to connect to Exchange or something similar. If I go in to Computer Manag...

Outlook 2003 POP save on server x days
Hi, In Outlook 2003 - Accessing POP3 Mail - When you select save on server x number of days - When does the time count for days begin? Lets say I have old E-Mails in Outlook - and on the server - I choose to leave on server 30 days - Will all E-Mail older than 30 days be removed from the server - immediately? Or will the time count 30 days from when I chose to leave them on the server - so 30 days from when I chose to leave on server for x days - they will begin being removed from the server? Thank You it's 30 days from the date you downloaded them into outlook. I...

Restricting access to an Exchange Mailbox
Hi - I want to restrict the number of Outlook clients accessing a particular mailbox to ONE. Could somebody point me to the appropriate part of Exchange which might help me here please? (assuming Exchange is the right place to start with!) Thanks -- Ian You manage mailbox permissions under the Exchange Advanced tab of the mailbox-enabled user and click "Mailbox Rights". "Grumpycrab" <BDAGWBYUXPFT@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:1e44f078.0407260107.566fe68b@posting.google.com... > Hi - I want to restrict the number of Outlook clients accessing a > parti...

Recover Deleted Items
If a user deletes an email out of their inbox and then out of their deleted items folder and then goes into the "Recover Deleted Items" option window and deletes the email from that window is there any other way that I can recover that email the user has deleted in all those areas? Currently, the user does not have the registry option "DumpsterAlwaysOn", if I was to add that option would I be able to recover the email from the inbox instead of the delete items folder? On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:18:02 -0800, jpw <jpw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >If a user del...

Prolems with Exchange Server
We have Outlook 2003 on client computers connected to Small Business Server 2003. We originally had the email configured on Outlook for our ISP's POP server. Now, however, on one computer it tries to connect to Exchange Server. It cannot log on to Exchange Server, and it cannot open the default mail files, so Outlook shuts down. So we can't get into Outlook on that machine. We can configure email accounts in Control Panel/users/email settings, but all attempts to get back to the POP email configuration don't change the behavior of not being able to enter Outlook because i...

exchange 2007 reconnect
Hello UserA wanted UsersB mailbox. diabled both exchange mailbox and then reconnect userB to userA. UsersA is prompted for userB AD login info. the only way around this was to give userA sendas and full rights to the userB mailfile. Is there another way to fix it. ? what will happen when the AD account for userB is deleted for AD? ...

Outlook 2003
I used to use Outlook Express and was able to modify an email message's HTML source code. I can't seem to find a way to do that using Outlook. Does anyone know how that can be done? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thank you, Tracy Outlook doesn't have a source editor. You can edit it in another html editor and paste into OL. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstic...

OWA exchange 5.5 logon
Hi, When I connect to my OWA server I first have to type my alias and after that I have to give my logon name and password. How can I change this. I don't want to give my alias as this is the same as the logon name. I want a single logon. thnx Michiel Boer Sorry, but that's the way it works. The alias looks up the mailbox, which holds the NT user info for login. -- hth, SusanV "Michiel" <meme@ikkus.com> wrote in message news:3fba196b$0$135$e4fe514c@dreader8.news.xs4all.nl... > Hi, > > When I connect to my OWA server I first have to type my alias and afte...

Installer Problems
Hi! I had Money 2002 on my computer. I "downloaded" the Money 2004 "trial". (I have decided to purchase it soon anyway.) My question: Everytime I "click on" my Money icon on desktop, the Windows Installer trys to install it again and I can't just open money. Then a pop up comes up & says "please insert Money 2004 CD". Is there anyway around this? Especially the Windows Installer. Thanks Guys!! ...

Outlook 2003 calender problem driving me nuts ! #3
Hi guys, This is my first post here - and my last hope before I go completeley insane ! I am having a problem with MS Outlook 2003 calender. I have looked extensively on the net, but can not see anything remotely like this. Every date in every view is duplicated - in the individual day boxes, and in the view header.I have attached a screen dump. Please, please, please can someone tell me what is causing this ? I have reinstalled numerous times, but it eventually returns ? Thanks in advance ...

Problem installing Office 2007 Enterprise Edition
I have downloaded this three times. (Four actually, but it didn't work the first time) I have tried to install several times. It goes through the process, has me put in my Product Key, but when it gets to a certain point I get the message that there was an error during setup. There are no details about what the error is. I have a trial edition of Office 2007 that I cannot delete through Add/Remove Programs. I have deleted Office 2003 (also a trial version, I believe) I read another user's post that said my IT department at work should support this, but I haven'...