Advice needed on Ex2000/Win2000 upgrade to Ex2003/Win2003

Hi all.  I need some advice on upgrading an Ex2000/Win2000 box.  Any help or
suggestions will be appreciated.  The server hardware is robust enough to not
need replacing so we will reuse it.

The server has been upgraded before, from 5.5 to 2000.  I would however like
to reinstall both Windows and Exchange from scratch as opposed to just
upgrading.  Historically, I have always had less problems with full installs
than upgrades and I have been told that the previous upgrade (5.5 to 2000)
had issues.  I inherited the box from previous sysadmins with little
documentation.  I do not have the resources available (another box) to create
a swing method or move mailbox method upgrade.

My project plan is as follows:

1.  Backup server and exchange db's
2.  Ghost image (for quick recovery)
3.  In place upgrade to Ex2003
4.  In place upgrade to Win2003
5.  Backup exchange db's (neccessary?)
6.  Format server
7.  Install Win2003
8.  Install Ex2003
9.  Restore exchange db's
10.  Install other services (AV, backup agent, etc.)

This method should give me a freshly installed system with all our
mailboxes, PF's and permissions intact, correct?  I will reuse the server
name and IP of the old installation to avoid any issues with that aspect.  Is
step 5 needed?  Can I restore Ex2000 db's to an Ex2003 store?  Any easier,
more efficient way to do this?  Thanks in advance.
0
Dimitri (2)

Need critical input on this
I have created the below code that actually works and compiles with zero errors and zero warnings. I would like criticism and input on it from all angles, First off is there a better way to do this. Does my code have problems etc. (granted I have left some error checking out to keep it brief) This all started when I wanted to change the font type and size in my FormView Listbox. I always try to keep everything within MFC since I want to concentrate on my stuff and not windows stuff. But everywhere I looked on the net for changing a font in a resource control had stuff setting the O...

Need list of tables to copy for setup of PA?
Good afternoon, Does anyone have a list of the setup tables I need to copy from an existing company, to a new company, for the Project Accounting module? Thanks, Russ Worth Russ, Fortunately, Project Accounting follows the same table physical naming convention as other GP modules. Here is a list of the tables you need: 1) To copy master records, select all PA0* tables 2) To copy setup information, select all PA4* tables. If you do not want to keep the templates, exclude PA41301, PA41304, PA41401, and PA41409 3) Once you transfer this data, you will need to run a PA Reconcile (Micros...

Advice
I am going to start a new job in a month looking after an Exchange 2000 server and would like to know if there are any good resources that anyone knows of online for a complete newcomer to all things Exchange as I need to get up to speed pretty sharpish! Most of the sites I've found seem to assume a degree of knowledge and I have none! Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA J My advise is to go an visit your local book store and see what they have fir Exchange 2000, there are some excellent books out there, not sure what knowledge you have with regard to Active Directory but you ...

Need more columns in Excel!
I need to insert more columns in Excel than what Exel will allow - is there a trick to add more than the limit? No, what you get is what you get. The only options are to split the data over multiple worksheets, or use another product. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D780655-558E-4A1B-837B-BF6E9D1BF5B0@microsoft.com... > I need to insert more columns in Excel than what Exel will allow - is there a tric...

New Outlook user needs help getting started/installed
I've been using Outlook Express for my e-mail. I bought a new computer -came with a trial version of Outlook 2003. I liked it and now want to install Outlook from my Office XP disk. All of the other programs installed properly and run, but Outlook crashes every time. I already uninstalled the trial version of Outlook 2003. Is there something I can do to start using Outlook (it's 2002 in my Office XP bundle)? Thanks in advance, SS assuming Outlook 2002 installed correctly, see if creating a new profile works: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287072/EN-US/ "ste...

OfficeQuestions looking for feedback and advice from Outlook users
Hi all, I am a long-time Outlook user and have used resources like Google and newsgroups for years to help find answers to my questions about many MS Office applications. My biggest frustration with using these types of resources was that it is cumbersome to sift through search engine results to find the answer I needed, and newsgroup threads make it difficult to pick out the best answer among all of the responses. So, I started a new site that I hope will serve the MS Office community by providing an inviting platform for asking and answering questions about MS Access, Excel, InfoPath and ...

I need to import quicksell 2000 into Miscrosoft Dynamics RMS
I need help from anyone who has any ideal on how to export from quicksell 2000 into rms 2.0. I don't know anything about either of these programs. I need to get this program up and running ASAP. -- Thank you for all your help, Rustylady after you have the RMS application installed create a new database from the blank database template, then use the import from quicksell 2000 command. this is all found in the administrator. -- Aaron Kessler President, @ce Computing, inc 718-261-3375 "Rustylady" <Rustylady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C08D1ABC-B...

need two email accounts for two phones on one computer
My wife and I have just bought an iphone each after a recent burglary. We are trying to maintain separate contacts. Apple advice was to set up a new user for my wife to stop us synching with each others contacts etc. I've et my wife up as a new user but don't know how to set up outlook with separate outlook account so that we can get our own emails and maintain our own contacts. I did manage to set up a replica outlook email account but it generally means we get the same emails in each account. Is it possible for us both to have a separate outlook installation under ...

do I need MSCRM?
ok - I have 10 sales guys who need to capture CRM info like name of client, details of last call, dogs name e.t.c e.t.c. Ideally, I'd like a system which can talk to outlook - though this is not essential. I'd also like to be able to authenticate with SQL - but again this might not be essential. I'm told the MSCMS is £800 for the module + £336 per head.... which is steep. Is there any siutable cut down CRM software I could use? cheers guys j. Hi, The question if you need MS CRM is up to yourself. You could use business contact manager or excel as replacement fo...

Upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0 #2
I am upgrading from Great Plains 7.5 to 8.0. I received the following: Ugrade fail. HR_Inquiry HR_Tests Payroll Benefit Master UPR00600 Payroll Benefit Setup UPR40800 Payroll Master - Archvie UPR_MSTR Payroll Work Benefit UPR10205 How can I fixed these errors and continue my upgrade -- tk ...

Exchange server 2003 need
Hi, We want to move all the mailboxes to another server and uninstall exchange from this box which is a DC. I've moved all the mailboxes except for three: (SystemMailbox, SMTP (servername), and System Attendant. What next? All servers are Windows 2003 SP1 and running Exchange 2003 SP1. Background: We have a main site on the West Cost who's Exchange server is the SMTP mail gateway and with mailboxes. The we have a second exchange server in Florida . Exchange in Florida has been running on a Windows server 2003 DC. It's been a pain to manage the backups, etc, especially when...

Newbie -need help to understand MFC more!!!
hello, Most programs i hav been trying out is dialog based and i am displaying my data through message boxes in the Pocket PC 2003.Can u tell me of other ways to do it,coz i am not sure about what other options i have for printing data in PPC 2003 other than messageboxes and paint and ondraw.Wen i used win32 i mostly used Paint and On draw,but in MFC wat are the options available keeping in mind i am using EVC++4.0 and PPC 2003 It depends on what you mean by printing data. If it is for debugging purposes, writting to your application log files is an option. Otherwise message boxes are a opt...

Help needed with Outlook 2003
I can send messages to hotmail accounts and to a few (very few) people, but most never receive my emails. I have tried disabling norton but that doesn't seem to help. When sending to hotmail acounts they get the messages within 30 seconds, but messages sent to people outside hotmail will NEVER get them. I have 'send immediately' checked and it says it is sending, but it never goes anywhere. I am using Outlook 2003 with XP sp1. I also have Norton Internet Security with Norton Antivirus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Do they arrive when you use the webba...

need help quick outlook is tooooo slow
what is the pop server and how can i change the direction of my email gina05 <gina05@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > what is the pop server and how can i change the direction of my email The POP server is the system that stores your messages and from which Outlook gets them so that you can read them. WHat do you mean by "change the direction"? -- Brian Tillman ...

Help with sorting needed
Hi, deserately need your help, I have this huge files that have lists and on those lists some items begin with a letter and other begin with an asterisk, like this: first sentence *first sentence second sentence *second sentence third sentence *third sentence I would like to move all the items that begin with an asterisk to the end of the list without any additional sorting, I mean the sentences shouldn't be further sorted by letters, like this: first sentence second sentence third sentence *first sentence *second sentence *third sentence I hope somebody will help ...

Need an email logging/monitoring program
Sorry if this isn't the right forum. This is what I'm looking for. A program that will monitor and log all incoming and outgoing emails within our organization. I don't care about how many emails people send to others inside our network, I'm more concerned with emails sent and received on the Internet. What I'd like is something I can pull reports on, based on all email addresses or individually, that shows how many emails were sent and received during a specified time period. Whether that's a week, month, year, etc. A report showing where they were sent to/receiv...

Need help with a formula #3
I need a formula that will look at a number in a specific cell and place a 0-5 in another cell based on the amount of the first cell Example: Number in first cell is $170, I want a "2" to be placed in another cell. I want a 0 through 5 to be automatically placed in another cell based on the amount of the first cell. If the number is $0 - $75 I want a "0" $76 - $150 I want a "1" $151 - $400 I want a "2" $401 - $900 I want a "3" $901 - $1500 I wa...

installation advice
I will son be moving from XP and Outlook Express to Windows 7 and therefore maybe to Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird. I therefore need some advice. Being paranoid, I prefer not to participate in cloud computing and would like to have all my mail on my PC and my ISP's mail server. I have POP3 accounts. Is there a way to a) install WLMail without its components (like calendar, etc.) which may reside on MS servers? b) have it place my storage folders on my E: "data partition" and not in the default C: (documents and settings) drive location? Thank you. Jeff ...

Need expert advice (CString)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C583BD.A36C0470 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-874" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Ok, the help for CString::GetBufferSetLength reads: LPTSTR GetBufferSetLength( int nNewLength ); throw( CMemoryException ); Return Value An LPTSTR pointer to the object=92s (null-terminated) character buffer. Parameters nNewLength The exact size of the CString character buffer in characters. -------------------------------------------------------------------------= ------- Now call me crazy, b...

Formula Help Needed #3
I'm creating a volunteer list for a nonprofit group I belong to. I've been experminting with counta, dcountf, countif, ect...., but no luck yet. On the first worksheet I have all of the volunteer's names, phone number's, ect... Columns are the catagories and the rows are the volunteers. There is a series of four columns representing shifts. The column immediately following the shift columns indicates which work area of the event they have volunteered for. This column is validated and has a drop down list of predetermined choices. Currently I'm trying to create a table l...

Upgrading Advice
For many years, I have been using Publisher 97 with Windows 95, without problem. Unfortunately, the time has come to upgrade, which at my age (and the fact that I am basically a Luddite), will involve a lot more than just a steep learning curve. I will be upgrading to Windows XP and Publisher 2003. If anybody can remember Publisher 97, do they think I will have many poblems integrating my Publisher 97 files? Also, I have a website created in Publisher at http://www.songwriter.co.uk/ and exported to the web using the Publisher Web Wizard. The only (minor) problem I have had with this was th...

Need help with simple formula....
I'm in the process of using Excel in a ballistics project. I have jus about all functions working exept one. I need to add the sum of tw cells and dived by 2. Everything I have tried to use has come u wrong. Example A1=muzzle velocity, A2=velocity@50 yards, A3 is supposed t equal A1+A2/2 (velocity at 25 yards). It just doesn't seem to work an I'm sure it's my ignorance. Any suggestions? Don't laugh, I just started using Excel yesterday.;) Thanks -- NHhunte ----------------------------------------------------------------------- NHhunter's Profile: http://w...

advice
I am looking for advice. I need a software ( Excel based ) for my tiny business in order to process invoicing and inventory control. Dont have lot of money to pay for it. Can anyone know any place or any excel programmer in order to get the software or some help/guide about how to develop it? I apologise english is not my english. Your feedback will be highly appreciated. Osvaldo, This is a fairly general question, so I must give a fairly general answer. You could make an application for your invoicing and inventory control with Excel, or hire someone to do it. Access would...

Need a program to integrate Great Plains for customer support.
We are currently using Great Plains and Microsoft CRM in our office. We are considering Wennsoft and Alert for additional integration use and would like to know if there are some other programs people are using to achieve the following: 1. When a customer calls we want a dashboard -a history of their prior calls opened or closed and the associated notes so that our customer service desk can review the situation more thoroughly with the customer. 2. We want a listing of the equipment that we installed as listed in the sales under Great Plains. 3. Prior tickets/invoices should be av...

Need an advice
Suppose I have a Comment class having properties and their methods like public Comment GetComment(Guid id) And public static List<Comment> GetComments() public static List<Comment> GetCommentsByAuthor(Author id) Now, What I usually do is write the database logic for each of the above methods . That said, Now I am seeing BlogEngine.NET code and He wrote in this way; He wrote the Database logic for GetComments() method and extracted from it for all remaining methods, even for GetComment(Guid id) by using something like FindAll(delegate(Comment comment) { return comm...