ADMT - Migrate Exchange

We are migrating our current Windows 2000 Active Directory domain into a
brand new (and appropriately named) domain using the Active Directory
Migration Tool 2.0.

We have a single domain and a single Exchange 2000 server.  We are not
upgrading Active Directory or Exchange in this migration.  All users, groups
and computers will be migrated to this new domain, including the Exchange
server.

Should the migration tool be able to successfully migrate everything without
having to build another Exchange server in the target domain first?

I have successfully tested migrating users, groups and machines into the new
domain, but I didn't want to touch Exchange until I was more educated on the
ramifications of using this tool.

Any information and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff

I think the answer to your question is yes, but it depends on what you're
doing and how you're doing it.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Jeff Grosenbacher" <anonymous@mydomain.com> wrote in message
> We are migrating our current Windows 2000 Active Directory domain into a
> brand new (and appropriately named) domain using the Active Directory
> Migration Tool 2.0.
>
> We have a single domain and a single Exchange 2000 server.  We are not
> upgrading Active Directory or Exchange in this migration.  All users,
groups
> and computers will be migrated to this new domain, including the Exchange
> server.
>
> Should the migration tool be able to successfully migrate everything
without
> having to build another Exchange server in the target domain first?
>
> I have successfully tested migrating users, groups and machines into the
new
> domain, but I didn't want to touch Exchange until I was more educated on
the
> ramifications of using this tool.
>
> Any information and advise would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Jeff

0
curspice1 (113)
4/27/2004 5:24:48 AM
OK...my intent is to do a forestprep and domainprep on the target domain,
then migrate all the user and computer accounts (including the Exchange
server) using the Active Directory Migration Tool.  Does that do the trick?

Thanks for your reply.
Jeff

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.net> wrote in message
> I think the answer to your question is yes, but it depends on what you're
> doing and how you're doing it.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Jeff Grosenbacher" <anonymous@mydomain.com> wrote in message
> > We are migrating our current Windows 2000 Active Directory domain into a
> > brand new (and appropriately named) domain using the Active Directory
> > Migration Tool 2.0.
> >
> > We have a single domain and a single Exchange 2000 server.  We are not
> > upgrading Active Directory or Exchange in this migration.  All users,
> groups
> > and computers will be migrated to this new domain, including the
Exchange
> > server.
> >
> > Should the migration tool be able to successfully migrate everything
> without
> > having to build another Exchange server in the target domain first?
> >
> > I have successfully tested migrating users, groups and machines into the
> new
> > domain, but I didn't want to touch Exchange until I was more educated on
> the
> > ramifications of using this tool.
> >
> > Any information and advise would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Jeff

You will not be able to "migrate" the Exchange server directly to the new
Forest/Domain.

Exchange will need to be properly installed into the new forest as if it
never existed in the Forest, because it didn't and doesn't. Assuming you
use the same org, administrative group, storage group, and server name
during the new install, then you should be able to use the same database
files directly on the server after the installation.

There is not a tool designed to migrate all of the Exchange configuration
information from one forest to another.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: "Jeff Grosenbacher" <anonymous@mydomain.com>
>Subject: Re: ADMT - Migrate Exchange
>Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:15:33 -0500
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>
>OK...my intent is to do a forestprep and domainprep on the target domain,
>then migrate all the user and computer accounts (including the Exchange
>server) using the Active Directory Migration Tool.  Does that do the trick?
>
>Thanks for your reply.
>Jeff
>
>"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.net> wrote in message
>> I think the answer to your question is yes, but it depends on what you're
>> doing and how you're doing it.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Jeff Grosenbacher" <anonymous@mydomain.com> wrote in message
>> > We are migrating our current Windows 2000 Active Directory domain into
>> > brand new (and appropriately named) domain using the Active Directory
>> > Migration Tool 2.0.
>> >
>> > We have a single domain and a single Exchange 2000 server.  We are not
>> > upgrading Active Directory or Exchange in this migration.  All users,
>> groups
>> > and computers will be migrated to this new domain, including the
>Exchange
>> > server.
>> >
>> > Should the migration tool be able to successfully migrate everything
>> without
>> > having to build another Exchange server in the target domain first?
>> >
>> > I have successfully tested migrating users, groups and machines into
the
>> new
>> > domain, but I didn't want to touch Exchange until I was more educated
on
>> the
>> > ramifications of using this tool.
>> >
>> > Any information and advise would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> > Jeff

0
rroddy (682)
4/28/2004 11:37:03 AM
Thank you...that helps me tremendously with the planning of this project.

Jeff

"Richard Roddy [MSFT]" <rroddy@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You will not be able to "migrate" the Exchange server directly to the new
> Forest/Domain.
>
> Exchange will need to be properly installed into the new forest as if it
> never existed in the Forest, because it didn't and doesn't. Assuming you
> use the same org, administrative group, storage group, and server name
> during the new install, then you should be able to use the same database
> files directly on the server after the installation.
>
> There is not a tool designed to migrate all of the Exchange configuration
> information from one forest to another.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard Roddy
> Microsoft Exchange Support

rights.

> --------------------
> >From: "Jeff Grosenbacher" <anonymous@mydomain.com>
> >Subject: Re: ADMT - Migrate Exchange
> >Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:15:33 -0500
> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
> phx.gbl
> >
> >OK...my intent is to do a forestprep and domainprep on the target domain,
> >then migrate all the user and computer accounts (including the Exchange
> >server) using the Active Directory Migration Tool.  Does that do the
trick?

> >Thanks for your reply.
> >Jeff
> >
> >"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.net> wrote in message
> >> I think the answer to your question is yes, but it depends on what
you're
> >> doing and how you're doing it.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "Jeff Grosenbacher" <anonymous@mydomain.com> wrote in message

> >> groups
> >Exchange

> >> without

> the
> >> new
> on
> >> the

exchange/outlook sync issue
I get the following sync issue message, and nothing I can do on the client side (deleting/recreating ost file) works. Any help appreciated. 17:41:49 Synchronizer Version 11.0.8000 17:41:49 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Aymeric Bulliard' 17:41:49 Synchronizing Hierarchy 17:41:49 Synchronizing Favorites 17:41:49 Downloading from server 'rc2.rc.local' 17:41:49 Error synchronizing folder 17:41:49 [80040119-501-80040119-560] 17:41:49 The client operation failed. 17:41:49 Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store 17:41:49 For more information on this failure, click the URL be...

Exchange 2003 or Linux?
What are the practice experiance of Exchange 2003? Good and bad. Compared witch linux. Linux and Outlook integration is bad and you have to pay. Exchange and Outlook is good. > Linux and Outlook integration is bad and you have to pay. OK > Exchange and Outlook is good. > And you have to pay as well.... You're asking for a comparison of an email server to an OS? -GT "Ivo Michiel" <imichiel@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cieq88$hk6$1@gaudi2.UGent.be... > What are the practice experiance of Exchange 2003? Good and bad. > Compared witch linux. >...

Mail Migration Tool issue
I have used the Mail Migration Wizard in clone mode (mailmig.exe /m) to move mailboxes from one AD Forest to another but experience the following issues: a. The mailboxes are not accessible via the User accounts created with ADMT. To get the mailboxes connected to user accounts in the new forest I have to remove the Exchange attributes from the user accounts created by ADMT, delete the mailboxes, run cleanup wizard to mark them for deletion, create new user accounts manually and then reconnect the mailboxes manually. I don't think this is the way it is supposed to work. The user a...

Exchange #2
I have three user accounts that have mass email going out from Exchange. It doesn't show up as sent items, but I get an Exchange report that they have emailed muliple thousands of emails. I don't know how to disable the, what looks like spam, without disabling their accounts. Any ideas? "=?Utf-8?B?YnA=?=" <bp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:3DCA88B8-8336-4363-BE14-333ED823DA8D@microsoft.com: > I have three user accounts that have mass email going out from > Exchange. It doesn't show up as sent items, but I get an Exchange > report that they have...

All Address Lists is missing Exchange 2003 manger
We have SBS 2003, i want to create custom address list. but in Exchange manager i cannot see "All Address Lists" under recipients container. could anybody help us? ...

Antivirus / Antispam for Exchange Server 2003
Howdy all- My license on Symantec for Exchange is about to expire and I'm look for suggestions to replace it. We are a small org with <10 users running Exchange 2003 on a single box WinServ2003 set-up. My primary concerns are: 1) Ease of installation and use (we have not IT dept) 2) Reliabiltiy and true auto-update (Symantec never seems to do it without some coaxing) 3) Cost per seat and ability to license 10 or less users. Any suggestions are appreciated. -Eric I would check into GFI.com We use their Antispam product called MailEssentials (it used to include AV also but now t...

Multiple Email Accounts (Exchange, POP3, and IMAP)
When I jsut have my exchange account setup, everything works fine. But when I add either of my other two accounts, the only thing I can do is receive emails. Everytime I respond to an email, it just sits in my Outbox. I have tried selecting an account to use, not selecting an account to use, multiple variations of the send/receiving groups, but nothing works. What version of Outlook do you have? From your description below, it sounds like Outlook 2002. If so, could you turn on diagnostic logging (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300479) and post the OPML...

IMAP on exchange 2003/outlook
This might belong in the Outlook forum but... So I'm a bit confused and I know this is pretty simple but I need to configure IMAP in Outlook/Thunderbird for a email distribution group as in multiple users will check this dist group by talking to our Exc 2003 server. The dist group has about 6 users. My question is this - what logon account is used? Since this is a dist group and isn't associated with an account in AD does that mean that the users in the dist group all have access? I know the in and out servers - for ex below. in (imap) - mail1.mycompany.com out (smtp) - smtp.mycom...

Moving Exchange Folders
I'm looking for the proper way to move the ExchangeServer_<servername> folder to a different drive. I've successfully moved mail stores, message tracking logs, MTA and SMTP queues but can't find any info about moving this folder. It is the Full Text Indexing database which I don't use, but the Server is clustered so there are some files called clust0.0 clust0.1 etc in there which seem to update every once in a while. Anyone know how to move this folder properly? Moveing these files is not intuitive, but it can be done. Follow the Microsoft article http://support.mi...

Exchange 2003 SP1 broke OWA
I had some issues with install. Errors when updating SMTP service. However, install went throug and after install many icons are broken with OWA. Chip Chip - If there were problems with the install, the first thing I'd recommend is to reboot the server and try to run the Update again to see if it goes through without issue the second time around. -- Evan Dodds Microsoft Exchange Support ****** Disclaimer ****** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Note: Please do not reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup purposes o...

Exchange Email-Router Failed
hello during installation i have such a problem could someone explain to me whats wrong? Setup cannot log on to the Microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down, or that you are not a Microsoft CRM user. (SOAP Server Application Faulted ) I did create a crmmailbox account, its a Domain Admins member, local admin in Exchange and local admin in crm, is not Crm user. Are you logged in as an administrator when doing the installation? I had the same problem - and I wrote it down somewhere in my docs, I'll try to find it ... but I think it had something to do...

Exchange/Outlook archiving problem with space restrictions
I've recently read the following kb article that states archiving is broken when you've reached your space limit on an Exchange server. We are running Exchange Server 2003 SP2 and using Outlook 2003 clients. Does MS have any plans on fixing this issue? We have a lot of users hitting their limits and then not being able to archive items. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297226 ------------------------------ Jeff Wommer Sr. Systems Technologist Northern Michigan University On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:36:47 -0800, Jeff Wommer <jwommer@nmu.edu> wrote: >I&#...

Intermittant disconnections from exchange server
Hi there, for the last few weeks, our outlook (2003) users have experienced intermittant disconnections from the exchange server (2003). A message pops up time by time from the outlook icon in the system tray saying that "Outloook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange server servername.domainname". The connection recovered in 5-30 seconds. Anybody can help? Thanks. Aloha outlook, That didn't happen before? First thing I'd check is the event viewer on the Exchange server and see if it's recording any events that might coincide with the problems...

Exchange fails to send CRM emails
When I try to send emails using the CRM 3.0 web interface "most" of them fail to be sent. If I copy that exact same and email and send it to the same address using outlook 2003 it sends with no problem. Exchange 2003 will send me an email, a day later that is is delayed and then finally another day later that it failed. I have turned off the email tracking in CRM and this did not help. I thought the numbers CRM puts in the subject may have been causing it to be blocked. What could be causing the emails to fail when sent using CRM and the exact same email to work with Outlook...

Exchange server no longer on domain
I got a phone call at 2am saying our Exchange server had failed. Tests showed that SMTP mail still flowed through it. OWA still worked, RPC over HTTP still worked. However IMAP did not work. Users were presented with their password prompt over and over. Event viewer on the Exchange server shows failure audits, event 680, error code 0xC0000064 which shows Account does not exist! Then we discovered that the time on the server was out by 12 hours, wrong time zone set (going to look into how THAT happened, but that's a different story) set it back. Anyway, it seemed to me, that the...

Exchange 5.5 problem with NDR
Hello, I've got a problem with my Exchange 5.5 Server. I've applied the hotfix n� 837794 with allow to control the generation of the NDR. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;837794 I put in the registry, the DWORD value SuppressNDROptions = 1. No more NDR !!! But it's not the behavior I've expected. In fact, all I wanted was to block and delete the messages in the sending queue with "<>" as originator and "host unreachable" status when trying to send notification... Any idea ? Thanks Franck. Filtering for Blank Senders i...

Exchange Recovery Help
I have what used to be a SBS 2003 Server that died a horrid death due to a corrupt registry with NO backup. UGH. I have done a parallel install to get file system access and can get to all the files. If I backup the MDBDATA folder can I recover everything? Is there some other files I need to backup while I have file access to make my life easier? Any help would be appreciated because I am diving into this tonight. Thanks -- Shane Young SharePoint911 - "Your SharePoint Help Desk" Hi shane, It depends. Backup your EDB, STM and all the log files. Then re-install your...

Entourage 2008-No longer connecting to the Exchange server
Hello, My machine is: Macbook running 10.5.8 Entourage 2008 version 13.0.3 (091002) No problems at home- running VPN and accessing emails. I put the machine into sleep, go to the office and it can no longer connect to the Exchange server. What I have tried so far: - Pinged the Exchange server- solid connection - Through OWA on the same machine, with the same credentials, I was able to log into the exchange server - Tried using my old PC (running outlook), connected to the same Exchange Server with the same credentials- no issues. - Spent some time reading the posts here a...

Send on behalf not working in Hosted Exchange 2003?
Hi I have Exchange 2003 set up in a hosted exchange environment. My problem is that I have one user that has added another user to deligates and with reviewer rights on the inbox. (I read that it should be enough for send on behalf) But I always get this error when I try to send on behalf of this user: " Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Test Sent: 4.1.2005 11:00 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Test user on 4.1.2005 11:00 You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administra...

Exchange 2k3 Recovery in another h/w
Friends Need your help guys!,, Is there any way i can restore exchange2003 in another h/w with same os? Existing exchange server name :osiExchange OS :Windows 2003 Standerd SP1. Domain member :osiExchnage.osi.local New H/w I hv installed Windows2003 Sp1 and joined to my existing domain ! do i need to keep the same hostname for new server? pls heelp me out by steps and advises Best Regards, On 27 Jan 2007 21:01:14 -0800, "Vamsi" <konasanimurali@gmail.com> wrote: >Friends > >Need your help gu...

Exchange 2003 and outlook 2003 with cache mode enabled
Help please, We have just done a Group policy to enable Exchange 2003 cache mode. We are about to upgrade all office users to Office 2003 from 2000 so we decided to do this. The GPO was done last night and we already have a number of users who have office 2003 but did not have cache mode turned on. This morning we noticed it was taking some of the users forever to see their mail as it was caching the local copy for the first time. Also our Exchange server appears to be a bit slow. We have a 65 Gig store and many mailboxes over 300-400 Mb in size. Some have heaps of items in thei...

Mixed Exchange and Internet Email on Exchange Server 2003 and Outlook 2003
Recently installed a new SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003. Have clients using Windows XP Pro with Outlook 2003. On the Outlook 2003 profile I have an Internet POP Account and an Exchange Server Account. If I set the Internet account as the default account, it handles Internet messages properly, but also tries to send local messages via Internet SMTP server. If I set the Exchange account as default, it handles local mail correctly, but sends Internet mail through the Exchange SMTP server with the local email address as the reply address. Therefore, anyone receiving the message is unable to reply s...

Exchange 2000 : Can't hide Domain Admin owned mailboxes
We are currently migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000. Our postmaster doesn't have domain admin status and we don't want to change that if possible. In Active Directory Users & Computers, the postmaster can hide any Exchange 2000 mailbox except the ones that belong to domain admin accounts. The message «Access Denied» is shown when trying the command Is it normal ? Is there a solution other than giving domain admin status to the postmaster ? "R. Garant" <richard.garant@saaq.gouv.qc.ca.invalid> wrote: >We are currently migrating from Excha...

Adding user exchange space, delay befor it is seen.
I give a user more exchange space (2003) and it seems to take a wile befor the user will see the new space. It also takes a wile befor the user see's space they cleaned up? thanks in advance, Ed http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327378 Ed wrote: > I give a user more exchange space (2003) and it seems to take a wile befor > the user will see the new space. It also takes a wile befor the user see's > space they cleaned up? > > thanks in advance, > > Ed ...

AD Users and Exchange Mail account
Does anyone have a script or tool that they would recommend that allows you to query AD and retrieve the associated email address for that user? "-->AP<--" <ap@mail.com> wrote: >Does anyone have a script or tool that they would recommend that allows you >to query AD and retrieve the associated email address for that user? Just the mail address? You don't need a script, just the Active Directory users and Computers snap-in. Make sure the e-mail address is a colimn displayed in the right-hand pane. Then select the OU in the left pane, right-click it and p...