Adding proper X-Received: headers for inbound messages?

Hello all,

In Exchange 2003 (running on SBS2003) with the Outlook client, there doesn't
seem to be any way to tell which email address was used to route a given
message into my mailbox unless this appears in a literal To/Cc header (which
hardcore SMTP people like me consider the "body" of the message).

I'm on staff at a network consultancy supporting a small number of very
large customers, and each one has its own support alias that expands to a
distribution list including the proper engineers, and normally it's no
problem because the visible To: header tells us.

contoso-support@mycompany goes to me and Geoff
msft-support@mycompany goes to all of us
edsel-support@mycompany goes to Dani and Matt

and so on. Our customers know to use these generic addresses so that all the
engineers see stuff, and we use it for vendor/partner correspondence too.

But we recently got a message that ended up in all of our mailboxes from an
ISP that *one* of our customers peers with, and it was obviously sent with a
Bcc: to a list.

    "Dear peering partner. Your traffic no longer meets our requirements,
we're removing
    the peering session on $DATE"

and we had to go with non-email clues to find out which customer it applied
to: there was *no clue* in the headers which alias it was sent to.

The Postfix mail system that Exchange just replaced always included the RCPT
name in the Received: lines, so even if the recipient is the subject of a
Bcc, he can figure out how it arrived. A random sample, showing the "for
<user>" clause - that's the RCPT name.

        by linux.unixwiz.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5787A4788
        for <steve@unixwiz.net>; Fri,  6 Oct 2006 07:14:42 -0700 (PDT)

All UNIX-based MTAs work this way, and we're surprised that it's not visible
in Exchange.

Is there any way we can add something like an X-Received-For: header? The
boss is ready to make us put Postfix back in front of Exchange in order to
deal with this (and other failings of Exchange).

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Friedl / UNIX Wizard / Microsoft Security MVP / www.unixwiz.net

0
steve9597 (5)

I use this for that purpose:

http://www.ivasoft.biz/xrecipientlist.shtml

But I just realized it does something I don't like. If user A is in the To
line, and User B is BCCd, user A can see that it went to User B by looking
at the header. I haven't decided if that is a big enough problem to warrant
removing it.

-Matthew

"Steve Friedl [MVP]" <steve@uniwiz.net> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> In Exchange 2003 (running on SBS2003) with the Outlook client, there
> doesn't seem to be any way to tell which email address was used to route a
> given message into my mailbox unless this appears in a literal To/Cc
> header (which hardcore SMTP people like me consider the "body" of the
> message).
>
> I'm on staff at a network consultancy supporting a small number of very
> large customers, and each one has its own support alias that expands to a
> distribution list including the proper engineers, and normally it's no
> problem because the visible To: header tells us.
>
> contoso-support@mycompany goes to me and Geoff
> msft-support@mycompany goes to all of us
> edsel-support@mycompany goes to Dani and Matt
>
> and so on. Our customers know to use these generic addresses so that all
> the engineers see stuff, and we use it for vendor/partner correspondence
> too.
>
> But we recently got a message that ended up in all of our mailboxes from
> an ISP that *one* of our customers peers with, and it was obviously sent
> with a Bcc: to a list.
>
>    "Dear peering partner. Your traffic no longer meets our requirements,
> we're removing
>    the peering session on $DATE"
>
> and we had to go with non-email clues to find out which customer it
> applied to: there was *no clue* in the headers which alias it was sent to.
>
> The Postfix mail system that Exchange just replaced always included the
> RCPT name in the Received: lines, so even if the recipient is the subject
> of a Bcc, he can figure out how it arrived. A random sample, showing the
> "for <user>" clause - that's the RCPT name.

>        by linux.unixwiz.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5787A4788
>        for <steve@unixwiz.net>; Fri,  6 Oct 2006 07:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
>
> All UNIX-based MTAs work this way, and we're surprised that it's not
> visible in Exchange.
>
> Is there any way we can add something like an X-Received-For: header? The
> boss is ready to make us put Postfix back in front of Exchange in order to
> deal with this (and other failings of Exchange).
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> --
> Steve Friedl / UNIX Wizard / Microsoft Security MVP / www.unixwiz.net

By the way, postfix in front of exchange is an excellent setup. That is what
I use. It fends off all the viruses, emails to non existent users, spam, etc
using a variety of methods that are not available in exchange. All of this
is done with no impact on the exchange environment.

"Matthew Kitchin (Usenet/Lists)" <mkitchin.public@gmail.com> wrote in
message news:uG7BNFW6GHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I use this for that purpose:
>
> http://www.ivasoft.biz/xrecipientlist.shtml
>
> But I just realized it does something I don't like. If user A is in the To
> line, and User B is BCCd, user A can see that it went to User B by looking
> at the header. I haven't decided if that is a big enough problem to
> warrant removing it.

Wow - this looks right on point, and it was as simple as unzip+click click
click.

The Bcc issue does require some thought, because Bcc surprises are painful,
but we'll bounce this around the staff to see if there are any feelings one
way or the other.

Thanks for the great direction.

Steve

--
Steve Friedl / UNIX Wizard / Microsoft Security MVP / www.unixwiz.net

0
steve9597 (5)
10/6/2006 7:58:48 PM
Steve Friedl [MVP] wrote:

> Wow - this looks right on point, and it was as simple as unzip+click
> click click.
>
> The Bcc issue does require some thought, because Bcc surprises are
> painful, but we'll bounce this around the staff to see if there are
> any feelings one way or the other.
>
> Thanks for the great direction.

No problem. I'm thinking I will probably just live with the BCC issue,
becuase I don't think their is any way around it. On most Unix/Linux mail
servers, a different message is sent to each mailbox when someone is BCCd or
CCd. On exchange, since there is single instance storage, I guess there is
only one copy of the message. It would be ideal if the header entry only
showed the relevean TO: line for the mailbox it was in, but I guess that
isn't possible with Single Instance Storage. I also only have it implemented
on the front end servers, so internal mail even that moves via SMTP isn't
stamped.

What other shortcomings are you finding in exchange? as an admin of postfix
and exchange boxes, maybe I can help out.

-Matthew

Error message in publisher #2
When i open my document i get an error message but it doesn't tell me what the problem is. The message reads: Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to open. If you are certain that this file came from a trusted soruce and does not contain harmful information click ok. If you received this file from another person or machine and are not sure that the contents are safe click cancel. I can open the file but the message comes up every time. If it told be what the problem was that it detected - then maybe i could fix it. I do know that since the problem started i ...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

Group Policy for Registry Permissions yielding Red X Icon on RSOP
Greetings, I'm trying to include registry permissions in my policies to lock down certain keys. Every single key I select I get a "Red X Icon" on the registry key and the error message says the following: "The policy xxxxx resulted in the following error Unknown error. Ofr more information, see %windir%\security\logs\winlogon.log on the target machine." Well winlogon.log looks perfectly fine, it isn't complaining about anything. Further, the permissions on the key did apply successfully. What gives? Hello -, Which OS version, SP/patch...

how to make forwarded messages to show the original sender
We have MS Exchange 5.5 system and Outlook 2000 on our LAN. Some mesages from the suppliers are being sent directly to me and I forward them to my colleagues. The problem is that my colleagues see these forwarded messages as coming from my name and later it is difficult to them to find a specific message, as all of them seem to be from me. Is there an opportunity to add an additional field to forwarding form, which will automatically pick-up the "ORIGINAL SENDER" name, so my colleagues will be able to sort the messages by that field? How one can make that? Many thanks in advance for ...

Possiblity of Two X Axis Graph
I need to compare 2008 sales against 2009 sales side by side in asingle graph. My data is given below PERIOD-09 Jan 09 Feb 09 Mar 09 Apr 09 SALES-09 2500 2550 2230 3100 PERIOD-08 Jan 08 Feb 08 Mar 08 Apr 08 SALES-08 1900 1990 2301 2900 Any solution? Fowmy Add a helper column and just display month =MONTH(SerialDate) Use that for the X axis. That may be the easiest way assuming you are only looking at a calendar year. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "Fowmy" wrote: > I need to compare 2008 sales against 2009 sales side by side in asingle graph. > My data is given below...

Incorrect received date
Hello, My domain controller server failed and it's systemboard was replaced by the manufacturer. We did not anticipate the date/time - Kerberos sensitivity and all systems were disconnected until we were able to synchornize the time (new server was off). Unfortunately, we were so focused on the time that did not noticed the date being off to. About 12 hrs later a user reported receiving message's with "tomorrow's" date. How bizarre? We checked the newly repaired server and there was the culprit. Upon fixing the date and resynchronizing/replicating Active Director...

ADDING A NUMBER

lost deleted messages
I'm using a pop account with my outlook 2002. Often when I delete incoming mail it does not go to trash. It just dissapears?! Where does it go? I have two trash folders, one on my pop account and one in outlook. Help What you couls try is select View - Folder list. Then delete and incoming but unread message. See where it goes to (you can tell by the number of unread messages behind each folder). ;-) "g" <g@thefoco........com> wrote in message news:049601c3674e$67d46a70$a101280a@phx.gbl... I'm using a pop account with my outlook 2002. Often when I delete incoming...

adding new records

Sending/receiving message size limits
Hi, W2K3 domain with Exchange 2003. I was wondering what would happen if I configure a larger maximium message size on a specific smtp connector then is configured in the Global settings. For example in the global settings 10000KB sending receiving. On the SMTP connector 20000KB. Any idea's? Thanks Best, Glenn ...

OS X Leopard and Office 2004 Student Ed
I've just upgraded to OS X Leopard and now none of my Office 2004 applications will work I click on the icons be it in the dock or in the applications folder and the programmes will not load... All the icon in the dock does is move to acknowledge it has been opened then nothing happens, the programme fails to open altogether. What can I do to help rectify this problem?! Seeing as a =A375 upgrade is now making an =A385 application stop working! Info from Console's system log Dec 31 20:06:19 Macintosh /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/ Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp[189]:...

When adding attachments...

how do I display x-axis range negative to positive?
Trying to create a simple (!) bar chart that has a range of values on the x-axis from -5 to +5 - NB: this is how the range needs to be displayed, with the '-' and '+' shown! Any help would be much appreciated!! Thank you Is it a horizontal bar chart or a vertical column chart? Are you talking about the category (X) axis (the horizontal axis on a vertical column chart or the vertical axis on a horizontal bar chart)? Or do you perhaps mean the horizontal value (Y) axis of a horizontal bar chart? I suspect it's a horizontal Y value axis on a horizontal bar chart. If yo...

Removing messages based on sender
Has anyone heard of a way to remove messages from the store based on the sender address? I know exmerge can target subject and attachment, but I'd like to target the sender address. Thanks in advance. Exmerge might have that option. Not possitive though. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "Bobby Hilliard" <robhillj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:OCBI28lTEHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Has anyone heard of a way to remove messages from the store based on the > sender address? I know exmerge can ta...

Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages.
How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages. -- "J. J." JDJ <jj@invalid.invalid> wrote: > How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in > incoming HTML messages. I would think that the sender controls the text size for incoming HTML messages. -- Brian Tillman On the View Drop Down of an open message window there is a Text Size menu bar which when you mouse on it gives you 5 choices. I just want it to default to largest so I don't have to go through that with each new message I read. ...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Receiving error
Outlook Express 6 - Just upgraded to XP, and receiving error code when trying to receiving my mail. Error: A TCP/IP error occurred while trying to connect to the server. Account: 'Incoming.Verizon.net', Server: 'Incoming.Verizon.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC15 What do I need to do? Chris L <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook Express 6 Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman I was receiving the exact same error in Outlook 2000. I also use Outlook Express which worked fine. I purchase...

Error message on closing Outlook #2
I am getting the following error message when closing Outlook: The instruction at "0x77f83907" referenced memory at "0x009a4d4c". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program I have tried the Microsft Online help but it wouldn't accept my product number so I wondered if anyone else had encountered such an error. I would like to know what it's doing! cheers ...

initial install CRM message
Trying to install CRM 1.2 for first time. Receive message "You must be a member of Domain Admin's group. Make sure computer is joined to domain and you are logged on to domain admin account". Installing on Server 2003 , using administrators account and on server. Other prerequisites such as SQL etc install with no problems. What am I not doing properly? Rich Glushkoff Rich, Is this server a member of a domain or a stand-alone? Is the Windows domain in "Native" mode? Stephen "Rich Glushkoff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Specific Font that be contained within Office 2004 do not appear to Font Box on Mac OS X 10.3(panther). #2
There are "Gulim.ttf" and "Batang.ttf" Within Font Folder in Office 2004 Folder (Application folder or Office 2004 CD) These fonts are Window True type Font and Hangul font (using Korean) I have known the font automatically be installed in Font Box when Office 2004 setup. After I had selected these fonts beside All Font in collection window of font box then used disable button, These fonts disappeared in font Box. Perhaps it is rightful!. However When I added these fonts repeatedly, Only The "Batang.ttf" font appeared on Font Box window. unfortunately The &...

Missing OLE_obj in message
I have a customer who is trying to send an email with a P/O, apparently he attaches an object, and I only receive part of the message. Please see below: REV: N/A SUPPLIER NAME: STORES LOCATION: METHOD OF PURCHASE: <<...OLE_Obj...>> I am using Outlook 2000 from Office 2000, I had him send it to Outlook and to my hotmail account. I get the same results. Any opinions? Thanks ...

Adding alternate columns