ADC - where to install?

I have Exchange 5.5 SP4 in an NT4 domain on a Win2K SP3 server.  I have a
parallel network with active directory and full trusts between the two.  I
have a new Win2K SP4 server on which I will someday install Exchange 2000
and then move my mailboxes from the 5.5 to this - if I can get over the
myriad hurdles I keep hitting...

Anyway, this AD connector - I should install it on my 5.5 server?  No?  Yes?
I've tried and it just doesn't do anything.  Let me elaborate - I pop the CD
into the drive and when the menu pops up, I click the AD connector install
button.  And then.....    Nothing happens...

My Exchange 5.5 server is really the big holdup right now for my AD upgrade.
As soon as I can move those mailboxes to my AD domain, I can shut down the
NT4 domain and be done with it.  But I've been screwing around with Exchange
for a couple of weeks, on and off now...  I'm still trying to run
forestprep, but I need the ADC, but I can't install that for some reason...

Any advice?  Lotus messaging maybe?  Just kidding...

Thanks,
Mark

0
mark6426 (23)

why not go to exchange 2003? by the time you go to 2000 it will be time to
upgrade again!

"Mark N." <mark@deathtospam.net> wrote in message
> I have Exchange 5.5 SP4 in an NT4 domain on a Win2K SP3 server.  I have a
> parallel network with active directory and full trusts between the two.  I
> have a new Win2K SP4 server on which I will someday install Exchange 2000
> and then move my mailboxes from the 5.5 to this - if I can get over the
> myriad hurdles I keep hitting...
>
> Anyway, this AD connector - I should install it on my 5.5 server?  No?
Yes?
> I've tried and it just doesn't do anything.  Let me elaborate - I pop the
CD
> into the drive and when the menu pops up, I click the AD connector install
> button.  And then.....    Nothing happens...
>
> My Exchange 5.5 server is really the big holdup right now for my AD
upgrade.
> As soon as I can move those mailboxes to my AD domain, I can shut down the
> NT4 domain and be done with it.  But I've been screwing around with
Exchange
> for a couple of weeks, on and off now...  I'm still trying to run
> forestprep, but I need the ADC, but I can't install that for some
reason...

> Any advice?  Lotus messaging maybe?  Just kidding...
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

0
jjd228 (96)
8/19/2004 12:49:06 PM
Mark:

Is there a problem upgrading your NT 4 domain in-place to AD? Doing a
migration to a new domain is certainly a viable, and common option, but it
will definitely add more complication to the entire upgrade process. Anyway,
about ADC - I'm not sure if ADC even works on NT4, but either way, you
should be able to install it on any Win2k/2k3 server in the domain - member
server, domain controller, etc. For a small network, installing it on the
soon to be Exchange 2000 server before Exchange is installed is fine. It
should work fine even after Exchange is installed. ADC will only be used
temporary until you remove the 5.5 server and switch to Exchange 2000 native
mode. After the switch, you can remove SRS and ADC from the Exchange 2000
server. One last thing, make sure you're using the ADC version that is on
the Exchange 2000 CD, not the Windows 2000 CD. I'm not sure if ADC for
Exchange 2003 SP1 would work for you, so check that out because it has some
improvements over the 2000 version.

Regards,
Martin

"Mark N." <mark@deathtospam.net> wrote in message
> I have Exchange 5.5 SP4 in an NT4 domain on a Win2K SP3 server.  I have a
> parallel network with active directory and full trusts between the two.  I
> have a new Win2K SP4 server on which I will someday install Exchange 2000
> and then move my mailboxes from the 5.5 to this - if I can get over the
> myriad hurdles I keep hitting...
>
> Anyway, this AD connector - I should install it on my 5.5 server?  No?
Yes?
> I've tried and it just doesn't do anything.  Let me elaborate - I pop the
CD
> into the drive and when the menu pops up, I click the AD connector install
> button.  And then.....    Nothing happens...
>
> My Exchange 5.5 server is really the big holdup right now for my AD
upgrade.
> As soon as I can move those mailboxes to my AD domain, I can shut down the
> NT4 domain and be done with it.  But I've been screwing around with
Exchange
> for a couple of weeks, on and off now...  I'm still trying to run
> forestprep, but I need the ADC, but I can't install that for some
reason...

> Any advice?  Lotus messaging maybe?  Just kidding...
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

0
MartinHTN
8/19/2004 12:52:20 PM
> why not go to exchange 2003? by the time you go to 2000 it will be time to
> upgrade again!

I'll grant you this - you're persistent in your opinion that I should
upgrade.  But I can't.  Let me copy/paste your last similar post and my
response:

> why bother with 2000? support will be discontinued soon enough. 2003 has
> been here long enough to have a service pack... go right to 2003

Well, it's taken us this long to just go AD in our company.  We had the
license for Exchange 2000 purchased already along with the CALs.  We had
only to install it.  Two weeks ago I checked on pricing for an Exchange 2003
server license and the cost was over $5,000....

0
mark6426 (23)
8/19/2004 4:22:27 PM
> Is there a problem upgrading your NT 4 domain in-place to AD? Doing a
> migration to a new domain is certainly a viable, and common option, but it
> will definitely add more complication to the entire upgrade process.
Anyway,
> about ADC - I'm not sure if ADC even works on NT4, but either way, you
> should be able to install it on any Win2k/2k3 server in the domain -
member
> server, domain controller, etc. For a small network, installing it on the
> soon to be Exchange 2000 server before Exchange is installed is fine. It
> should work fine even after Exchange is installed. ADC will only be used
> temporary until you remove the 5.5 server and switch to Exchange 2000
native
> mode. After the switch, you can remove SRS and ADC from the Exchange 2000
> server. One last thing, make sure you're using the ADC version that is on
> the Exchange 2000 CD, not the Windows 2000 CD. I'm not sure if ADC for
> Exchange 2003 SP1 would work for you, so check that out because it has
some
> improvements over the 2000 version.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

My only problem is fear of the upgrade failing and me having a difficult
time recovering.  I need to move to a new box anyway and thought that
setting up that server and moving to it would be safest.  Plus, I can rename
my site too...

I'm using the ADC that's on the Exchange 2000 CD and it's a Windows 2000
Server box.  I installed the ADC on the same box that will be my new
Exchange 2000 server and it finally worked for me.  Then I ran forestprep
and that worked too.  Now it's been telling me for the past couple of hours
(whenever I try to install Exchange) to wait until AD has replicated the
Deleted Items Container.  I'm starting to think that this is a problem and
not simply slow replication.  What do you think?

Thanks,
Mark

0
mark6426 (23)
8/19/2004 4:26:43 PM
Sounds like a good reason to me............

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

> Well, it's taken us this long to just go AD in our company.  We had the
> license for Exchange 2000 purchased already along with the CALs.  We had
> only to install it.  Two weeks ago I checked on pricing for an Exchange
> 2003
> server license and the cost was over $5,000....

0
rasilon1 (689)

security update KB972696 will not install
Windows XP home, dial-up service, cannot get kb792696 to install. I get error code 0x8050855C. I cannot find this code doing a search. MS support is worthless so am asking for help here. Ran Malicious Software Removal Tool, found nothing. I use MS Security Essentials, have one red icon showing no protection, another green showing full protection. What????????? -- surveyor Double-check that KB number & error code, please. Is this a sudden, new problem? Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subsc...

Error installing CRM Sales for Outlook
When running the CRM Sales for Outlook it requires a url Example http://server%name I get an error message that states the following "Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook cannot find an instance of the Micrososoft CRM Server components at 'http://192.168.1.254'." Yes it says "...Micrososoft..." besides the point. I also try WINS name and FQDN with no success. What type of permission settings are needed on IIS, or am I way off base.... Thanks in advance for your help there is an option to create a log so you can work out issues like this here is the line Setu...

Can I install my copy of Access on 2 computers? My Desktop & my Laptop ?
Some software allows more than one installation... maybe one for your regular desktop and another for your laptop. Does MS allow this for a single license copy of MS Access? Thanks for any help. "Mel" <myemaillist@gmail.com> wrote > Some software allows more than one installation... > maybe one for your regular desktop and another > for your laptop. > > Does MS allow this for a single license copy of MS Access? You'd have to read the End User License Agreement that came with your copy of Access. Licenses vary depending on version, ti...

Installation Problem on Office 2007
I am unable to install Office 2007. "Setup cannot find Office.en-us\OfficeMUI.msi" Please select the location to continue is the error appeared on installation. Please help a the earliest. Did you verify that the file is in the folder listed? Since you don't mention if you are installing from removable media (e.g. CD/DVD, USB Jump Drive, .etc), network (mapped) drive, or your local drive, you could check to see if it is a ntfs/share rights issue. "S.Vimal Kumar" <S.Vimal Kumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C25B0C1-3DEE-42CD...

installing blackberry software
I have a client that would like to receive his exchange 2003 email on his blackberry. I downloaded the free blackberry software. I was wondering if indeed I need to install the Blackberry Server Software and if so should I install it on the machine where exchange 2003 is running or install it on a different server? Is there anything I need to be aware of before going ahead with this install? Thanks, Mark Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. I'd suggest reposting your question to a newsgroup re...

Installation issue
Installed Office XP Pro and dont see Publisher. Where do I install it from? Ron, Generally we need more than 10 minutes to respond. Please read my response to your first post. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Ron" <rlyen@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3bd501c4afbb$79894180$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Installed Office XP Pro and dont see Publisher. Where do I > install it from? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.775 / Virus Database: 522 - Release Date: 10/8/2004 A small ...

Upgrade of ADC with ADC SP1
I have a mixed 5.5 and 2003 exchange environment and am currently trying to upgrade the 2003 ADC connector with the version that ships with exchange 2003 SP1. There is no upgrade.exe only a setup.exe and no instructions. (very tardy Microsoft) when I run setup, I am asked; Add/remove Reinstall Remove all After searching the internet for two hours and finding nothing, I thought I would try Add/Remove and see what the next screen said. I took the defaults and pressed next and the setup, after a setup successful message I pressed finish. Thinking that the ADC was now upgraded I tried to...

Installing Money Plus Deluxe Trial
Haven't installed Money Plus yet but have tried essentials and have used Money in the past and am trying to avoid a problem that occurs the first time Money downloads transactions from my bank. The first time it downloads I have a very large difference in what I have and what Money shows. Thus difference is in the thousands. Is there something I'm not doing properly when Money downloads transaction for the first time? Is there any rules of thumb I need to be aware of? Any help will be appreciated. James In microsoft.public.money, JamesJ wrote: >Haven't installed Money Plus ...

Installation of CRM off line client
I have a used PC that another user once had an installation of the CRM offline client installed, I have gone through the support page and have followed the instructions on how to manually uninstall the laptop compatibility client, I haven't had success with the new installation of the client, the current error is that an incompatible verison of the CRM desktop Cleint for outlook is already installed although I have deleted the data files. Can any provide further instructions on how to get this machine wiped clean of this client so I can successfully install the client again for a...

Installing Exchange 2007 SP2 on passive SCC node
Am trying to install exchange 2007 sp2 on the passive node, removed antivirus and MOM agent, restarted Remote Registry and started the the upgrade command. the problem is the setup is stuck on 64% with no errors. anyone can help? environment: - 2 windows 2003 64 R2 sp2 - 2 Exchange SCC SP1 Is there anything interesting in the setup log? -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Batayneh" <Batayneh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5B63827-1C18-4A65-B859-AA5B5642D116@micros...

Run Viewer with Visio Installed
I want to test appearances before shipping visio files. How can I get view files with Viewer instead of my installed Visio? Currently using 2003 visio w/ 2007 viewer. Hi Ya, The party-line used to be that "the viewer is for non-Visio pcs...yada yada yada", but I thought that might have changed for Visio 2007. Anyway, I couldn't find the good answer to your "coexist" problem, but I did find some html from an old sample web page I made (see html at end of post...) It was using the Visio 2003 Viewer, but I imagine most of this is the same with the 2007 version(?)...

HOW to remove ADC?
I had upgraded my exchange 5.5 using ADC. After the upgradion i have deleteled the exchange 5.5 accaount from my active directory i dont have the backup of my active directory now i cant remove the ADC or install the new exchange 2003 because its asking for old 5.5 exchange. is there any way by using ADSI edit tool. Please help me. Thanks Manoj. ...

No lines showing in publisher documents installed on new computer
Just installed publisher from Microsoft Office 2003 on my new computer. Documents transfered and new documents produced do not show lines around borders or anywhere on the document. It will however print them. can anyone explain what I should do? ...

ADC upgrade to SP1
I have upgraded my Exchange server to SP1. When I tried to do my first cross-administrative group move, I got an error message that such moves are disabled until ADC is upgraded to SP1. When I ran the setup from the SP1\ADC\i386 directory, there is no "upgrade" option available, only Add/remove, reinstall and uninstall. How do you upgrade the ADC to SP1? before you can move mailboxes between admin groups, you must turn your organization into a native organization.. org -> properties -> native mode. make sure you dont have any 5.5 servers!!! if there are, i guess you already ...

Install Error 05-05-04
Has anyone come accross this error while installing CRM? Setup runs, builds DB and adds to IIS, then the following "Setup has ended prematurley because of an error" Followed by: "Setup was unable to install MS CRM, setup was unable to install the windows installer package (.msi) of MS CRM setup" This error also occurs when I try to remove the app (because when I tried a reinstall it thought it was already installed!) I have tried running this as the domain admin and as a user part of the domain admin, the server thinks CRM is installed but when I run it it says that t...

Do money updates install when you're not admin?
I noticed when I first start using money it told me to log on as administrator so that the updates can take effect. Is this true of all money updates? When I see the message "Money update recieved" does that mean it has also been installed or do I have to log in as admin to complete the process? In microsoft.public.money, Brian H wrote: >I noticed when I first start using money it told me to log on as >administrator so that the updates can take effect. Is this true of all money >updates? When I see the message "Money update recieved" does that mean it >has a...

Recurrent 2004 Installation Message
Almost every time I restart/start my computer, I have a "Windows Installing" message come up on the screen. It then asks me to close Money Messenger 2004 so I may proceed. If I close Money Messenger from the toolbar or task manager, it goes away. If I start Money 2004, it has numerous "Installing" message boxes come and go as it eventually loads. I do have spyware and Norton antivirus software but the initial installation seemed to go fine. My spyware also continues to identify a program name "eblaster" which I know can track e-mail. Could this eblaster ...

ADC in Mfg
Hi, How can I make ADC (Automated Data Collection) read from a csv file instead of a device? Actually our machines have a dedicated Oracle DB, which collects the required info about every machine & Labor, how can I make ADC in GP read from a file or db instead of reading from a device? Thanks. AMH. ...

Cannot install sp2
Anyone know why I would keep getting a "Office Hotfix Installer encountered a problem" when trying to install sp2 fix? ...

Exchange 2003 Installation Issues!
Environment: Exchange 2003 Cluster and 2 Exchange 5.5 Servers. We recently had some consultants install the 2003 cluster to take place of one of the Exchange 5.5 servers. Now, I was trying to install Exchange 2003 on a new server to take place of our other Exchange 5.5 server and ran into some issues during installation. The installation said unsuccessful. The exact error was "moduleid not found in map in getsetupcomponentbymoduleid" I found an article about this error, although not the same version of Exchange, and it said to make 3 entries in the registry ( http://support.mic...

How I Got Full Windows XP Installed Under 2GB!
Well it is partly true. As I moved the Program Files folder to a flash drive. I believe this is a useful tip for those with small system drives. And unlike Hitachi microdrive filter, it doesn't slow down the computer and isn't a pain in the butt to install. I came up with this because my nephew's 4GB netbook was always running out of drive space. You can't normally just install new programs on a flash drive, because about 50% of them will refuse to install on a removable drive. Nor does it help for the programs already installed. This method fixes both problems...

Install
I have Outlook 2002 on my computer, I think it was in an update from Windows. Each time I open it, the program installer trys to install "something". Asks me for the Outlook 2002 disk (don't have one). I have Office 2000. It seems to be looking for "outret.msi". I can't find that file. It then closes, backs out of the install and gives me Error 1706. Then the program opens in the "safe mode". How do I get the program to stop this installation process each time I open it? ...

re-installation office 2003
I removed my version of office standard 2003 from my computer to save some space and to allow me to run the defragmenter. However during my attempt to reinstall the product the entered product key seems to indicate that the software is now only an update and requires a previously installed office version. I am positive that I bought a full version of that software package and not just an update. Any suggestions? If you have an upgrade, you need something to upgrade. If you think you purchased a full versxion, you need to be able to back that up. Even then I suspect you wil...

How do I install addins?
I have been trying to install the data analysis addin but it keep telling me the file is not found! I tried the online help but I still could not locate the file! Do I have to reinstall Office? Hi Maria Do you mean the analysis toolpack Add-in? Do you see it in Tools>Add-ins in the menu bar? You can run the Office install and use "Add and Remove" to add the Add-ins if they are not installed on you system -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "maria" <maria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2AB7898E-23FE-4CF9-A5C8-DC6DDF69085A@mic...

SP3 install instruction?
I have downloaded sp3 for our exhange server. There is no setup executable in the root and I am at a loss where to start. The readme didnt give me a clue either. chaz "BOB THE BUILDER" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6AED444-1F65-404C-A471-FB11C82C25B0@microsoft.com... > ITS CALLED UPDATE.EXE IN SETUP\I386 Thanks so much! chaz ...