Aarrgghh!!! Can send external mail but not receive it - please help!!

My customer has one Exchange Server with 2 domains - I'll call them
'companyA.co.uk' and 'companyB.net'.

The users for CompanyA are the same people as the users for CompanyB.
There is a requirement for these users to send and receive email (they
use Outlook) from both their 'companyA.co.uk' and their 'companyB.net'
addresses.

I acheived this by configuring 2 user accounts per user in Active
Directory and then giving one user full control of the other, and by
giving one user permissions to view/send as etc on behalf of the
other.  This worked fine for over 5 months. There are only a very
small number of users so this is easy to manage.

It has come to my attention recently however, that the users are not
receiving any mails sent to their 'companyB.net' addresses. In trying
to troubleshoot this, I can confirm the following facts:

1. The users can send and receive from/to their 'companyA.co.uk'
addresses as normal - both internally and externally. Nothing at all
seems to be wrong here.
2. The users can SEND and RECEIVE from/to their 'companyB.net'
addresses INTERNALLY with no problem.
3. The users can SEND from their 'companyB.net' addresses EXTERNALLY
also with no problem.
4. The users can not RECEIVE any EXTERNAL mail sent to their
'companyB.net' addresses.
5. I've sent 'test' e-mails to their 'companyB.net' addresses. They
never receive them but I never get any non-delivery receipts or errors
either.
6. I've tried the tool at www.checkdns.net. Everything looks fine to
me.
7. My colleague has verified that the MX records are correct (I wasn't
sure how to!)
8. I have tried deleting and recreating the connectors - made no
difference.
9. When the users send me a 'test' mail with a request for 'delivery'
and 'read' receipts, I receive the mail but they never get the
receipts back.
10. At present, the 'companyB.net' addresses are not used very
frequently at all.  This problem could have existed for some time
before they noticed it.  As far as I can remember, there have been no
changes to the Exchange Server setup.

Please could someone tell me the next step to try to troubleshoot
this? I'm quite new to this and I don't know where to turn next.

Thank you for your help and advice in advance.

Rafael,

You might want to check the recipient policy (Orginization > Recipients >
Recipient Policy). The domain should be in the Email addresses list
(@companyB.net). Also, when you select it and press "Edit", you should see
the option "this exchange organization blah blah" ENabled.

Also, you can try to do a "telnet mx1.companyB.net 25" to see if you are
able to connect from the outside to the SMTP port of the server. If this
doesn't work, you might have connectivity issues (DNS issues, blocking
firewall, etc).

Regards,

Michel Boks - B.ICT
MCSE NT4/2000

"Rafael" wrote:

> My customer has one Exchange Server with 2 domains - I'll call them
> 'companyA.co.uk' and 'companyB.net'.
>
> The users for CompanyA are the same people as the users for CompanyB.
> There is a requirement for these users to send and receive email (they
> use Outlook) from both their 'companyA.co.uk' and their 'companyB.net'
> addresses.
>
> I acheived this by configuring 2 user accounts per user in Active
> Directory and then giving one user full control of the other, and by
> giving one user permissions to view/send as etc on behalf of the
> other.  This worked fine for over 5 months. There are only a very
> small number of users so this is easy to manage.
>
> It has come to my attention recently however, that the users are not
> receiving any mails sent to their 'companyB.net' addresses. In trying
> to troubleshoot this, I can confirm the following facts:
>
> 1. The users can send and receive from/to their 'companyA.co.uk'
> addresses as normal - both internally and externally. Nothing at all
> seems to be wrong here.
> 2. The users can SEND and RECEIVE from/to their 'companyB.net'
> addresses INTERNALLY with no problem.
> 3. The users can SEND from their 'companyB.net' addresses EXTERNALLY
> also with no problem.
> 4. The users can not RECEIVE any EXTERNAL mail sent to their
> 'companyB.net' addresses.
> 5. I've sent 'test' e-mails to their 'companyB.net' addresses. They
> never receive them but I never get any non-delivery receipts or errors
> either.
> 6. I've tried the tool at www.checkdns.net. Everything looks fine to
> me.
> 7. My colleague has verified that the MX records are correct (I wasn't
> sure how to!)
> 8. I have tried deleting and recreating the connectors - made no
> difference.
> 9. When the users send me a 'test' mail with a request for 'delivery'
> and 'read' receipts, I receive the mail but they never get the
> receipts back.
> 10. At present, the 'companyB.net' addresses are not used very
> frequently at all.  This problem could have existed for some time
> before they noticed it.  As far as I can remember, there have been no
> changes to the Exchange Server setup.
>
> Please could someone tell me the next step to try to troubleshoot
> this? I'm quite new to this and I don't know where to turn next.
>
> Thank you for your help and advice in advance.

0
MichelBoks (46)

Can't send mail after Win2003 SP1 ?
All- After some testing in our labs, we decided to upgrade all production Exchange 2003 servers to Windows Server 2003 SP1. The upgrade went OK, but we did notice one anomaly: Our users who connect via IMAP can no longer send messages. They get an NDR to the effect of " ... you cannot relay for this address" whenever they try to send to external addresses. However, all Outlook 2003 connected users can work just fine and send messages to anyone they want. We checked and re-checked the settings, but nothing seems to help. Anyone else seen this? Hints? Jake Update: To fur...

publisher e-mails
I have not been able to get publisher e-mail formats delivered to to e-addresses either by message or attachments. Copy is impossible. Then what does the e-mail template serve for? -- abee Can you define or further explain "not been able to get publisher e-mail formats delivered to to e-addresses either by message or attachments"? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "abela" <abela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3FA11CE-3538-4842-B372-0039354D46B1@microsoft.com... >...

Can't create offline folder
I have an ost file stored on my local drive, but I would like to store it on a network drive so I can see it at home. However, I can't even get it to browse to create an ost folder on the desired drive. What is happening. First of all, you would not be able to access the .ost file from home as it is specific to the SID created for your work profile. So, moving it is moot since you can't access it from any other machine's Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus,...

HOW Can I have a CView in a CControlBar???
I've been up all night trying to get this to work, but can't for the life of me even with every ugly trick I know. I want to put a CView derived (or even a CWnd derived) class into a CControlBar to accomplish the dev studio like "Docking Views". I went about it this way: 1) derive a class from CControlBar (CViewBar) that creates a dummy host window ("HOST") and then uses a passed in CRuntimeClass to create the view -- THIS ALL WORKS FINE 2) inside of CViewBar::OnMouseActivate() I set CMainFrame::m_pViewActive to point to the view inside when it gets activat...

Mail Messgaes in SystemMailbox{guid string.....}
Hi, Just created a new exchange 2003 box and I stupidly let the pop3 connector run before I had finished creating a catch all address, I now have a mailbox with 401 messages in it that I would like to get into but no idea how really. When I go into exchange tasks there are none available and I'm not sure where to start with this type of problem, any suggestions please ? Thanks, Kane. ...

Purchasing Error: You can't change the status of this line item; it has unposted receipts assigned to it.
User is trying to close a PO. Goes into Edit PO Status window and searched on PO, and returns two line items (two different receipts). First item has status of Released. Tries to change to Closed, and gets error: You can't change the stauts of the line item; it has unposted receipts assigned to it. Have searched through interface and SQL, and cannot locate any unposted receipts for this PO/item. Noticed that the qty on the original PO for this line item is 32 and qty on receipt is 31 (not sure if relevant or not). Have also Check Links on Purchasing module, but did not resolve. Any su...

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Function
Hello, Can I use the ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs function and include the user account to save the file as? For example, I want to save the file to a directory where the user running the macro only has read only access. This is why I want to specify the account to use (which has full access), to save the file successfully. i..e. ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs User: Domain\Name Password: xxxxxxx Is there a way this can be done? Thanks, Brett If what you want is to merely determine who last edited the file, you can examine the file properties for that. On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 04:06:02 -0...

How can I insert a music clip to play in the background?
I have a word presentation that I would like to be able to play Eye of the Tiger in the background without having to open windows media. Is this possible? Word is not presentation software. You can have background music in PowerPoint. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Robbie MacKeen" <Robbie MacKeen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:156A57EE-101D-42E0-BB8D-3C39974A8E80@microsoft.com... >I have a word presentation that I would like to be able to play Eye of the > T...

Can you add custom content into Outlook
In lieu of having a corporate intranet, does anyone know if it's possible to simply add in a few hyperlinks to the "Outlook Today" screen? These links would be for "Tech Requests", "Building Maintenance requests", "Requests for Reports", "employee handbook" etc. This should totally be possible but I haven't a clue as to how. Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction. -- Rocky''''''''s Curious Coding You can create a custom htm-file for this and set that as the Home Page for ...

Can i set Contact in AD not show Global Address list
I create a user in AD and do not want it shows in Global Address List. Any way to do so? Thanks - For one particular Contact you can go to its properties | Exchange Advanced | Hide from Exchange Address Lists. Ditto for users or any mail recipients (public folders, mail-enabled groups... ). - To hide ALL Contact objects from Default GAL (or any other address list) modify the purportedSearch attribute of the address list in ADSIEdit - remove (objectClass=contact) from the ldap query -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog --------------------------------...

How can I void a billing project??
Hi, I need to void a billing for a project and create another bill. There is an option TM Returns, but documentation is clear that this option is for TM projects type... I am using a Fixed Price project type. Any idea??? Here is GP article on this issue. Issue How to void transactions entered for the wrong Vendor or Customer in Project Accounting? Resolution Transactions should be voided in the originating module. In that manner, all modules affected can be properly updated. Unfortunately Project Accounting does not have a void. However, you can enter credit transactions to rev...

Multiple excel users can open the same file and edit at the same .
We are running Excel 2002 SP2. We recently moved to a Windows 2000 server and now we are running into the issue where Multiple users can open the same excel file and edit it at the same time without getting the file the 2nd time in Read Only mode. Go to Tools>Share Workbook & choose the setting to Allow changes by more than one user. The file must also be stored in a Shared network/workgroup folder. Save the fil. It is also strongly recommended that you research the feature in Excel Help to become more familiar with it before you start sharing the file. HTH |:>) "Jef...

Can I use Kerberos authentication with Outlook 2003?
I must log in with Kerberos authentication to check my school email from home. My school tells me that Outlook 2003 doesn't allow this. Is this true? Is there any patch or add-on that will let outlook use kerberos authentication? It seems like microsoft should develop this, as an entire university community (and probably many other communities) are being forced to abandon outlook for email until they offer support for kerberos. Outlook does allow this. Check your configuration. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Du...

Can Grow, Can Shrink on a Form
I have a small form where I display errors and warning messages based on edits to the form. The form can have from 1 to as many as 20 messages to display. I've setup the form as a continuous view so the user can scroll up/down to see all of the messages. The last field on the form is the error/warning message text. It is setup as a text box. I have CanGrow = yes and CanShrink=yes on the textbox, the details section and the header section but the text box will not display all of the message for long messages. I don't understand. I use CanGrow/Shrink all over the pla...

Can i Create an hyperlink in a shape to that shape Data?
I'm trying to create a hyperlink in a shape that link's me directly to that shape data without use of reports or external data. The point of this is: when publishing a pdf of de Visio 2007 document, the hiperlinks i've created work in the pdf or in the visio viewer. Any sugestions? EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .NET Tips and Tricks #24 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/738bcad2-b378-406f-b594-7431fe346dee/dr-dotnetskys-cool-net.aspx ...

mail removed from control panel
Hello, My mail shortcut is removed from my control panel. I did a search, I must have deleted it. How do I create a new one? Boe <boe_d@notspam.hotmail.com> wrote: > My mail shortcut is removed from my control panel. I did a search, I > must have deleted it. How do I create a new one? Perhaps a Help>Detect and Repair in Outlook. -- Brian Tillman Boe, you wrote on Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:06:15 -0800: > My mail shortcut is removed from my control panel. I did a search, I must > have deleted it. How do I create a new one? May it be that you mean "Desktop...

how can i print the notes of powerpoint presentation slides?
i want to print my notes so i have them in front of me (not on the comp screen), but if i print the powerpoint presentation, only the slides are printing..... please help! On the print menu, there is a field called, "Print what:" wherein you can select "Notes Pages". "Luisa Grey" wrote: > i want to print my notes so i have them in front of me (not on the comp > screen), but if i print the powerpoint presentation, only the slides are > printing..... > > please help! ...

Can/How do you create a chart that can uses VBA code?
I am having difficulties duplicating two of the graphs/charts in Microsoft Access 2003 that were created in Minitab. The "Chart of Month, Number" and the "Chart of Age, Region". They are both "stocked column" graph available in Access but not easy to make. The database tracks quality issues from medicines around the world made by the Company in different counties. I have 24 fields for the main table (Issues2) in my Access Database and the fields relevant to the graph are: 1. ID 2. Date Of Notification: date management was notified of issue 3. Date Issue O...

continually receiving the same message
Outlook 2002, I'm stuck in the twilight zone. My outlook continues to receive the same emails over & over again. Every few minutes! 100's of times already. HELP! "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C15FA50D-CF9C-4710-B2BC-563041A584C3@microsoft.com... > Outlook 2002, > I'm stuck in the twilight zone. My outlook continues to receive the same > emails over & over again. Every few minutes! 100's of times already. This may not be your problem but that of the sender. The first thing to do, i...

CRM 4 "Send Direct E-mail" to multiple contacts
Hi everybody, Everytime I choose a contact and I press the "Send Direct E-mail" button it sends the email correctly. On the contrary everytime I choose more that one contacts the emails are never sent with no error. I noticed that everytime I try to send bulk email this way, a System Job appears at "Settings-System Jobs" of type "Bulk E-mail" and status "waiting" and it stays there for ever. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. ...

Can't see inline image with Microsoft Outlook.
Hi, I am sending html message having embedded image in it, When I receive it using Outlook Express it shows me message properly with image, but if I use MS Outlook then I can't see image :( I am adding image as Inline in message. Here is my header for same: Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name=ms_logo.gif Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: inline; filename=ms_logo.gif Content-ID: ms_logo.gif Am I doing anything wrong? I have tried by removing Content-Disposition header. But no use :( Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shilpa ...

Sending and Receiving reported error (0X800CCC92)
The last five days my wife's e-mail account has come up with this error: -ERR[sys/PERM] unable to process from lines (envelopes) in /var/mail/a/z/azlover; change recognition mode or check for corrupted mail drop. I have reentered her password in Outlook, the same error comes up in Outlook Express, changed her password on the e-mail account server (WideOpenWest) and in Outlook. Web mail works fine and called WideOpenWest, they said everything is O.K., customer support was able to login with no problems. Customer support and I rechecked her e-mail setup, all correct. Any thoughts, co...

i have a file with 50 worksheets, how can I print these names
I have a file that has 50 worksheets, I am trying to print the names of the worksheets so that I can incorporate into a new file. I made some changes to the new file and we added about 20 new sheets to the old file so I am looking for a way to print these names as opposed to writing them all out. I thank you in advance for your assistance and consideration. CRF try sub listsheets() for i=1 to worksheets.count cells(i,1)=sheets(i).name next i end sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "chris felix" <chris fe...

Can't backup to USB flash drive
In M05, my USB flash drive is not shown as an option in the dropdown under the removable media section in the backup window. The drive is available in Windows Explorer and everywhere else. I can even select it as a drive in the "backup to hard drive" in M05. What gives?? ...

How can I attach note to a sent e-mail
I have sent an e-mail and received a verbal reply. I wish to attach a note to the e-mail I sent regarding the verbal comments. Kaza wrote: > I have sent an e-mail and received a verbal reply. I wish to attach a note > to the e-mail I sent regarding the verbal comments. Depending on your version of Outlook, (which you really should supply, as versions are different), have you looked at opening the message and (in 2007) doing Other Actions-Edit Message? -- Asking a question? Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about, your OS, Service Pack level and the FU...