A question about Exchange 2003 direct-push technology in the UK

Hi,

I'm just trying to get my head around exactly how Exchange 2003 direct-push
actually works. Currently I have a blackberry server which acts as a link
between our Exchange server and Vodafone. In order to set up Exchange
direct-push (instead of blackberrys) does this work in a similar way? Ie, if
we have a Vodafone account does Exchange push the email out to their network
which then forwards it on to the device? Or does our Exchange server have to
be externally visible on the Internet and the devices have to be configured
to communicate with the server directly?

Has anyone who's already set this up in the UK got any information about
which service provider they use and instructions on how they configured both
the server and the handsets?

Thanks,

Curtis.
--
Please reply to news group only. Thank you.

0
xxx2719 (71)

"Curtis Fray" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

>I'm just trying to get my head around exactly how Exchange 2003 direct-push
>actually works. Currently I have a blackberry server which acts as a link
>between our Exchange server and Vodafone. In order to set up Exchange
>direct-push (instead of blackberrys) does this work in a similar way?

No. There's no additional server or software required. No need to
license the clients for the BES, either.

>Ie, if
>we have a Vodafone account does Exchange push the email out to their network
>which then forwards it on to the device?

Nope. Unlike RIM, there's no NOC. You use Vodafone to connect to you
server as you would to connect to any other server (i.e.
http://www.ibm.com).

>Or does our Exchange server have to
>be externally visible on the Internet

Yes. Or, at least your Front-End server does.

>and the devices have to be configured
>to communicate with the server directly?

The only difference between the previous and "new" setup is that the
"As new items arrive" choice is selected in the synchronization
schedule.

>Has anyone who's already set this up in the UK got any information about
>which service provider they use and instructions on how they configured both
>the server and the handsets?

You use the Internet connectivity provided by whatever carrier use.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Can't load Office 2003
I have Win XP and Office 2000 on a Dell Laptop. I recently bought a sealed version of Office 2003 OEM. It initially loaded, but wouldn't install updates. Tried to uninstall and couldn't get it off. Got some help from Msoft. Got it off, but then couldn't re-install. I decided to reinstall office 2000. Since I had saved my outlook pst file before uninstalling 2003, it's now not readable by office 2002. Question 1: why won't 2003 load. won't even get to "key request"? Question 2: Is there conversion s/w that allows me to go backward? I down loaded...

Can I DCPROMO after installing Exchange 2003?
Hi all, I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition Server installed as DC+DHCP+DNS, and another Windows 2003 Stand. Ed with Exchange 2003 Std. Edition joining as a member of the DC. I am planning to install an ISA Server, and put the Exchange behind the ISA Server. By doing this, the ISA Server documentation recommend me to install the Exchange with its own DC, DNS and DHCP. The question is: 1. can I dcpromo the Exchange Server to DC after the Exchange is installed? 2. What is the best recommendation for deploying Exchange Server on Win2k3 Std. Ed ? Some people said its better to have 2 Exchange S...

Outlook 2003 Cache Mode not working
Hello, I have a problem with one of my users using Exchange 2003 Cached mode. He can't see all the mail in his inbox, anything after last friday is not there. However if he uses OWA he can see all his email, if he uses Outlook 2003 not in cached mode he can see all his mail. I tried setting his account up on a different system and get exactly the same problem. We are running Exchange 2000 Ent. Hopefully domebody has seen thjis before and can offer a solution. Many thanks Nick In news:E62A0664-EF57-432B-9877-7E0007D8DE7B@microsoft.com, Nick Nack <NickNack@discussions.microso...

Backup question

a question and a question

IE8 privacy question

IF AND question

Question about Paste Special

Exchange 5.5 services and exchgadm password
Greetings, I am new to exchange. I am supporting a 25 users office which has exchange 5.5 server. I was trying to start the LDAP protocol and ended up changing the password for exchgadm and exadmin user id under the User Manager on the NT 4.0 server. After I rebooted the server and logged on as administrator none of the exchanger services are starting. Events are indicating the user name and password are incorrect to start exchange. Can someone please help me how to re-start all exchange services. Thanks !! did you see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us...

Microsoft Query question

Smart host in Exchange 2003 SMTP frontend
I have one e-mail domain say test.com. The problem is that I need to forward some e-mail addresses to different domain say test1.com (I have 10 such different domains). In my DMZ I have sendmail which is responsible for routing mails to these domains, for example: user1@test.com ->user1@test1.com user2@test.com->user2@test2.com and so on. If address is not in this table it is forwarded to my Exchange infrastructure (which is responsible for test.com). I want to get rid of sendmail and do this routing stuff with exchange smtp front-end. Of course I know how to do this through Exchang...

CURSOR DIRECTION AFTER POSTING
In Excel when I press return, the cursor goes up and not down. I have already gone into “Tools/Options/Edit Settings Move Selections after Enter direction” and it indicates “down” but the problem continues. How do I stop this? Hi, The problem may be with your keyboard, check to see if one of the SHIFT key is stuck. HTH JG -- pinmaster ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6261 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=482534 ...

Question

Outlook 2003: Will Not Open
Out of no-where: Today Outlook decided to not open. Here is the error message: "Can not start microsoft outlook. Unable to open outlook window. The set of folders cold not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists". There is no problem with the server, I checked. I have no "Administrator" My kid is only 11 so it will be another year or 2 before he earns that title. What now? Any suggestions would be appreciated. (For the rest of my life, anytime I encounter any problem with another person I am going to tell them to...

OWA Question #16

exchange server 2003 routing
I have three locations called A(a.t.com),B(b.t.com),C(c.t.com) and i have ex change server2003 installed on my DC and DC(T.com) is in the same subnet as domain A , A is connected to B through ISDN and to C through DialUP(demand dial). i am able to send emails from A to B and C, but A is not routing emails between C and B i.e am not able to send emails from C to B. all the connectors and de fault and no routing group is present. all configuration is default. please reply to this question.. -- map249 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Posted via http:...

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Text Box Question

401K questions

UK use of Money Plus.... what are the implications ?
Hi all, Given there seems to be a glut in support for UK specific versions of these types of products these days, im considering buying a US build of money plus. As a user of this in the UK, what are the potential downfalls? I presume that there are not any UK institutions for updates etc - but i do this manually today on an old version of Quicken anyway. But other than that - should it work ok ? Kev A non UK version of Money will not read your .mny file. If you are prepared to throw away how ever many years of data that you have accumulated, you can, of course, start over with a...

SBS 2003 RWW
Hi Guys, Have a problem with "The service is not available. Please try again later." when trying to access through RRW (https://sbsname/remote or even https://sbsnamehere/exchange) the message above is being displayed. Any ideas? Not a lot to go on. did it ever work if yes, did it stop after some updates have been applied? or some other reason to make it stop? Do you: manage the SBS with the Wizards? Have you: opened the required ports on the edge device run the ceicw, keyed in the pubic necessary info and specified what you want to be available ...

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

Exmerge Question #7