2000 migrate to 2003

I have a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 site that wants to upgrade to 2003. We
are planning to use new equipment for the exchange server and a file server,
and reuse 4 additional servers. What is the best practice upgrade the
exchange server first or the AD

Doesn't make much difference, especially if you are planning to upgrade both
within a short time frame.  However, either way, I'd recommend to run
Exchange 2003 Forestprep first.  That way, if you do decide to upgrade your
DC's to Windows 2003 first, you won't end up with mangled attributes.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"ScottS" <Scott.Salvatore@loweHealthcare.com> wrote in message
>I have a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 site that wants to upgrade to 2003. We
> are planning to use new equipment for the exchange server and a file
> server,
> and reuse 4 additional servers. What is the best practice upgrade the
> exchange server first or the AD

0
Ben
6/2/2005 4:32:57 PM
Thank you

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:OnE29C5ZFHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Doesn't make much difference, especially if you are planning to upgrade
both
> within a short time frame.  However, either way, I'd recommend to run
> Exchange 2003 Forestprep first.  That way, if you do decide to upgrade
your
> DC's to Windows 2003 first, you won't end up with mangled attributes.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314649
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
>

> "ScottS" <Scott.Salvatore@loweHealthcare.com> wrote in message
> >I have a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 site that wants to upgrade to 2003. We
> > are planning to use new equipment for the exchange server and a file
> > server,
> > and reuse 4 additional servers. What is the best practice upgrade the
> > exchange server first or the AD

Queues in exchange 2000
Hi all, Cenario, Windows 2000 Server SP4 Exchange 2000 SP3 I have a little problem. By Christmas, we sent christmas postcards by e-mail. For some reason the e-mails where not sent, and stayed in the queue retrying. I removed them from the queue, connector after connector (about 150). Now everytime i restart the Exchange Server, they return to the queue. The person that sent those e-mails, starts receiving the NDR(around 300!!!!) so does the Administrator. This situation becomes painfull, since we have mailbox limits, with those NDR the user reaches the limit everytime. Any ideia how to real...

Cyclic Redundancy Error
Just bought a new box and upgraded to Office 2003. I was singing the praises of MS particularly for the updates to Outlook when all of a sudden it crashed and burned. I've recovered from the blow out but still do not know what caused it. Thus I am moving slowly to make sure it does not happen again. Here is the process, symptoms, and "what I did." The new box is a Hp pavilion 367c, P-4 2.8HT running Office 2003. Also running NAV/PFW as well as Cloudmark SpamNet. Latest versions of each. Copied outlook.pst from old computer which was running Office 2000 With some creative proble...

Outlook 2000 - Installation Problem
I am running Outlook 2000 under Windows XP Home on a laptop and have been doing so for 18 months. I have recently been getting the following problem: 1. When Windows has finished loading, I load Outlook without any problems - loads without problems, including personal toolbars. 2. When I close Outlook - no problems either 3. If I open Outlook again, I get an error message saying "Improper Installation", but it loads OK except that it looses my personal toolbars. When I try to view an e-mail through preview pane, it just appears grey. 4. When I close Outlook, it closes with an er...

Printing question using 2003
I create flyers for my theater group on my home computer and then take them to another location to print the flyer on a new large-format printer. We have been having problems having the large-format printer print the file as a 18"x22" or other desired large size poster. It wants to print as it would on my home printer...like a group of six sheets that have to be taped together. Won't Publisher allow you to create in a letter size format (8.5"x11") and then automatically expand all text boxes, graphics, clip art, word art, etc to fit the enlarged large-format pr...

Have reached 10 license migration..... how can i reset this
over the years i have reloaded my pc a few times....... but now recently... i have had to download migration key to play my music each time i reload..... Now i have upgraded to Windows Vista, with Media player version 11.0.6002.18111... i have no idea what to do. have tried again and agian to acquire licenses but Microsoft website insists that i have downloaded 10 or more times... this cannot be the case i assure you..... please assist, anybody............ You the user aren't designed to be able to directly bypass that. You would need to contact the license provider to ge...

Open Excel 2003 files with Excel 2007
Hi all, I'm having a strange problem with Excel 2007, maybe somebody can give me some help with it. If I open a xls file that was created using Excel 2003 with Excel 2007 it's very fast. If I try to open a file which is already opened by Excel 2003 using Excel 2007 it takes forever, maybe 1 min, to get the "File in Use" message. Is there a way to speed up this? Regards, ...

Upgrade from v5.5 (pervasive SQL) to v8.0 (MS SQL 2000)
Has anyone done this upgrade? I don't think the software upgrade would be a problem but my concern is the database conversion. Can anyone comment whether they have tackle this themselves and if Microsoft was helpful with this upgrade. I have not gone from 5.5 to 8 but I've done many updates from 5.5 and many to 8.0. You've got a few stops in between, as you probably know. Depending upon the data size and how many companies, it's going to take a few days to convert. I would go to 5.5 on SQL Server and then start updating from there to 8.0. Make darn sure you run the...

Right click in Outlook 2000 SR-1
The menu doesn't appear when right clicking on messages. There is no problem right clicking in any aother application or with the Windows 2000 OS. ...

Exchange server 2003 smtp queue
Hi! I think I have a virus. I have many messages (email) in the SMTP queue. These are "strange messages". For example : from jkfkdjdf.jkuii@yahoo.com to hyhuiiiokl@yahoo.com The exchange server, naturally, can not deliver and I have a lots of messages waiting. Could anyone help me, please ? Antonio Grasso First, open up any of the message in Notepad. Look at the received header and find out what machine inside your organization is generating those emails. Take that machine off of your network. Second, check if your Exchange server is open for relay. It should not be ...

Windows 2000 server exchange 2000 and xp workstation
Ok, I got the snap in and everything but im missing the tab in user propertied that allow you to hide an email address in the global book, along with other protocal restrictions and such. any ideas? You got what snap-in? Did you install the Exchange 2000 Management Tools? Did you install the same SP that is on your Exchange server? Try enabling the Advanced view within ADUC. View, Advanced View. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Lansweeper on sbs 2003 premium
Got some people on the network with undesirable software on their workstations. Due to some crappy software that we need, I can not demote them to regular users on their machines. So I saw this software in the internet for free!!! Anybody has done this? any gotchas? Regards Miguel s�nchez "Miguel Sanchez" <santaki2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#M39t$YsKHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Got some people on the network with undesirable software on their > workstations. Due to some crappy software that we need, I can not demote > them to regula...

Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2000
I am configuring my new office computer and cannot figure out how to import my Outlook 2000 files and archives from the old computer to the new computer. The only information I have been able to find is importing Outlook Express to Outlook 2000 - but this does not seem to apply to Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2000. These are the steps I believe should work - but don't quite make sense to me: On the new computer: Open Outlook File Import and Export .....Which "action to perform" option will work? None of the options seem to include Outlook 2000. Thanks in advance for your he...

outlook 2000 locking up
working on msExchange on server with win2000 prof. working on Outlook 2000 on workstations with win98. On 2 of our workstations out of the blue, they will not allow user to create a new message, forward a message, or display the entire message. It locks up their computer requiring a hard boot. Have tried a number of remedies. Ironically, the only one that worked was downgrading to Outlook 97 ...

Quicksell 2000 / Windows 2000
I've been running Quicksell 2000 for over five years on Windows 95 on NEC pentium II 233's, and it runs great. But now, its time to upgrade my hardware, and hence, upgrade my OS. I've been trying to get QS2000 to run on the new machine and I can't get it to run. I have a parallel port dongle for the software, and I've tried installing it too, but I can't get the system up and running. I don't have the original install disks, they were damaged in a break-in 4 years ago. Anyone have any hints for me? Should I just install the demo system and copy my datab...

delay sending out all emails outlook 2003
How do I permanently delay sending out all emails for 2 minutes if I realize there is an error or I forgot an attachment? Use Rules. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2007/20070508.htm http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2008/up080508.htm#3 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cente...

outlook 2000 takes several minutes to load
I have a client using outlook internet mail only(no exchange) that takes several minutes to load since about 1 week ago. it runs normal (as far as i can see) once it is loaded. Any reason for the slow loading?? thanks CR ...

Pubisher 2000
I have created a one page document in pub 2000 and when I try to save it it say the following : " The disk is full tying to write C:Documents and Settings. Please save this file on a different disk and /or drive. I have tried to save it to A: as well as on my network drive. I have check them all and I still have plenty of space left? Any suggestions? I really do not want to lose this document. What you will have to do is open another instance of Publisher and copy and paste the information from that file that will not save to the new publication. Publisher is not at all n...

Outlook 2000 #135
I installed Outlook 2000 on a new computer setup as part of the office package. My Internet provider only supports outlook express, so I use outlook express. At startup I get a message that there is not a default e-mail program. That I should run Outlook and set it as the default reader. Is there a way to stop this or uninstall outlook with out removing the other office programs? ...

Problem with Section Breaks Word 2003
I am creating a Master Document that contains several separate documents. I am trying to separate the subdocuments with Section Break-Next Page, and then have separate headers start in each Section. When I insert Section Break Next Page, and then go to edit the Header, I find that the program has changed the section Break it to Section Break Continuous . When I delete the Section Break-Continous and insert a Section Break-Next Page in its place, the program deletes my PREVIOUS Section Break- Next Page and changes it to Continuous. The Headers disappear at the same time. madd...

Microsoft Office 2000 and XP Outlook
I have multiple email accounts, all pop3 accounts. On XP version of Outlook, I could utilise the Profile function to manage all email accounts separately. I would like to know if this Profile is available on Office 2000 Outlook (can't seem to find it). If not, is there a way to manage multiple accounts separately on Office 2000 Outlook? Thanks! Pagam <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have multiple email accounts, all pop3 accounts. > On XP version of Outlook, I could utilise the Profile > function to manage all email accounts separately. > > ...

sending in outlook 2000
for some reason i can't send e-mails using outlook2000. i get an error message stating can't find WBB DLL. the source of the problem seems to be something with the address book ... i think. anyway does any one have any ideas. i have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling outlook thanks Is this the W"A"B.dll? If yes, then your Windows Address Book is damaged. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted withou...

cannot send emails with microsoft outlook 2000
What happens when you try? "leahberko" <leahberko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D49E29DB-ABA7-4CD4-9F39-ED0A615FC7B3@microsoft.com... > ...

outlook 2000 on nt 4.0 client not responding to exchange 2000 server
outlook opens but after a couple of seconds it shows as not responding in tyhe task manager ...

Excel 2000 Crashing Windows 98 Upon Exit
Hi, Windows has recently been crashing due to extremely low resources every time I exited Excel 2000. This doesn't happen with any other application (Office or otherwise), so I think it has something to do with Excel, as opposed to Windows. I've both repaired and reinstalled Office to no avail. I'm guessing that there is some Excel process running in the background that just overwhelms the system when I exit the app. I'm hoping that someone here has had a similar experience and found a solution short of wiping Office out completely and reinstalling. Thanks for your input. ...

Publisher 2000 #32
I have a really nice picture I would like to have put in the background and insert a poem on top of it. I would like the picture softer/lighter but still with the original colors. How do I do that? And when I insert the poem on top of it how do I get the picture to show through? Do you have an image editing program? You will get better results, however, View, Go to background (ctrl+m) insert your picture, select the picture, format menu, click recolor picture, click color, fill effects. Experiment to see if you get the effect you want. When you are finished, go to foreground (ctr...