is to have this second Exchange Server just sitting there, and in the event
of disaster of DC #1 / Exchange main, then I can restore backup / mailbox
from DC #1 onto DC #2 /Standby Exchange.

Question:
---------

(1)  Is this setup feasible or okay?  Keep in mind, I can not cluster (not
on DC), and I do not have budget for anymore hardware - period.

(2)  How or what do I need to keep in mind in restoring to DC #2 / Exchange
#2 in the event or crashed DC#1 / Exchange #1?

(3)  Does the Exchange DB care if I am restoring to a different named server
(Hostname) - server 1 to server 2?

(4)  In this setup I have planned, how do I enable front-end / back-end
scenario - ultimately, do I have to move all mailboxes to one of the
Exchange server (front-end can not have mailboxes)?

Your insights are kindly appreciated for my scenario and questions - thank
you.

0
jackzerby (2)

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 01:08:00 -0600, ">>JZ<<" <jackzerby@alltel.net>
wrote:

>Exchange is only internal - no external (yet)
>
>I have two servers TOTAL - small company (35 users).  They also function as
>file server.  1 of the DC - #1 has Exchange 2003 STD with SP2.  I want to
>have the other DC #2 to be a backup Exchange Server (no accounts).  My goal
>is to have this second Exchange Server just sitting there, and in the event
>of disaster of DC #1 / Exchange main, then I can restore backup / mailbox
>from DC #1 onto DC #2 /Standby Exchange.
>

>Question:
>---------
>
>(1)  Is this setup feasible or okay?  Keep in mind, I can not cluster (not
>on DC), and I do not have budget for anymore hardware - period.

Not even remotely feasible. Forget the idea completely.
If you wanted to cluster you'd have to get at least one new piece of
hardware and shared storage.

You can't have an Exchange server sat there idling until your current
server goes down.

>(2)  How or what do I need to keep in mind in restoring to DC #2 / Exchange
>#2 in the event or crashed DC#1 / Exchange #1?
>
>(3)  Does the Exchange DB care if I am restoring to a different named server
>(Hostname) - server 1 to server 2?
>
>(4)  In this setup I have planned, how do I enable front-end / back-end
>scenario - ultimately, do I have to move all mailboxes to one of the
>Exchange server (front-end can not have mailboxes)?
>

>Your insights are kindly appreciated for my scenario and questions - thank
>you.

I don't want to come across dismissive but your two servers
(DC/Exchange and File) are fine as they are really. Without
significant investment you are better off leaving them alone.
0
mark7219 (5666)
11/2/2005 7:17:09 AM
Solution for that scenario is WANSync

> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 01:08:00 -0600, ">>JZ<<" <jackzerby@alltel.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Exchange is only internal - no external (yet)
>>
>>I have two servers TOTAL - small company (35 users).  They also function
>>as
>>file server.  1 of the DC - #1 has Exchange 2003 STD with SP2.  I want to
>>have the other DC #2 to be a backup Exchange Server (no accounts).  My
>>goal
>>is to have this second Exchange Server just sitting there, and in the
>>event
>>of disaster of DC #1 / Exchange main, then I can restore backup / mailbox
>>from DC #1 onto DC #2 /Standby Exchange.
>>

>>Question:
>>---------
>>
>>(1)  Is this setup feasible or okay?  Keep in mind, I can not cluster (not
>>on DC), and I do not have budget for anymore hardware - period.
>
> Not even remotely feasible. Forget the idea completely.
> If you wanted to cluster you'd have to get at least one new piece of
> hardware and shared storage.
>
> You can't have an Exchange server sat there idling until your current
> server goes down.
>

>>(2)  How or what do I need to keep in mind in restoring to DC #2 /
>>Exchange
>>#2 in the event or crashed DC#1 / Exchange #1?
>>
>>(3)  Does the Exchange DB care if I am restoring to a different named
>>server
>>(Hostname) - server 1 to server 2?
>>
>>(4)  In this setup I have planned, how do I enable front-end / back-end
>>scenario - ultimately, do I have to move all mailboxes to one of the
>>Exchange server (front-end can not have mailboxes)?
>>

>>Your insights are kindly appreciated for my scenario and questions - thank
>>you.
>>

> I don't want to come across dismissive but your two servers
> (DC/Exchange and File) are fine as they are really. Without
> significant investment you are better off leaving them alone.

0
jackzerby (2)
11/2/2005 4:53:47 PM
Agreed, use WANSync.

See: http://www.xosoft.com/products/f_WANSync.shtml

--
David Aschmann
MCSE: Messaging, Security+
">>JZ<<" <jackzerby@alltel.net> wrote in message
> Solution for that scenario is WANSync
>

> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 01:08:00 -0600, ">>JZ<<" <jackzerby@alltel.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Exchange is only internal - no external (yet)
>>>
>>>I have two servers TOTAL - small company (35 users).  They also function
>>>as
>>>file server.  1 of the DC - #1 has Exchange 2003 STD with SP2.  I want to
>>>have the other DC #2 to be a backup Exchange Server (no accounts).  My
>>>goal
>>>is to have this second Exchange Server just sitting there, and in the
>>>event
>>>of disaster of DC #1 / Exchange main, then I can restore backup / mailbox
>>>from DC #1 onto DC #2 /Standby Exchange.
>>>

>>>Question:
>>>---------
>>>
>>>(1)  Is this setup feasible or okay?  Keep in mind, I can not cluster
>>>(not
>>>on DC), and I do not have budget for anymore hardware - period.
>>
>> Not even remotely feasible. Forget the idea completely.
>> If you wanted to cluster you'd have to get at least one new piece of
>> hardware and shared storage.
>>
>> You can't have an Exchange server sat there idling until your current
>> server goes down.
>>

>>>(2)  How or what do I need to keep in mind in restoring to DC #2 /
>>>Exchange
>>>#2 in the event or crashed DC#1 / Exchange #1?
>>>
>>>(3)  Does the Exchange DB care if I am restoring to a different named
>>>server
>>>(Hostname) - server 1 to server 2?
>>>
>>>(4)  In this setup I have planned, how do I enable front-end / back-end
>>>scenario - ultimately, do I have to move all mailboxes to one of the
>>>Exchange server (front-end can not have mailboxes)?
>>>

>>>Your insights are kindly appreciated for my scenario and questions -
>>>thank
>>>you.
>>>

>> I don't want to come across dismissive but your two servers
>> (DC/Exchange and File) are fine as they are really. Without
>> significant investment you are better off leaving them alone.

Word 2003 conversion failure from 97 documents
Have some old word 97 documents around we have to convert as needed. problem exists for users running office 2003. open a word97 document in word2007 works fine. Saving he converted word97 document as a word2007 docX and then opening in word2003 works fine, so it seems the document conversion process is working. The problem occrs when opening word97 docs wih word2003, they come up as garbage (bunch of square boxes with [Content_Types].xml on the first line), looks like its trying to read it as text. I have tried uninstalling the office2003 document filter options and del...

exchange 5.5 #51
Hello all, we have an NT4 domain and we are looking to REPLACE that to 03 cause the current machine can't handle the upgrade. Our mail server is a standalone internal only exchange server 5.5. What I am wondering is if I can put in the new DC server with it's brand new users (not migrating them over just using a script to create them. then link exchange 5.5 to the new 03 DC. I don't want to upgrade our exchange yet that is coming down the road... any help would be great TIA On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:21:26 -0600, Brian <Brianm@mtewood.com> wrote: >Hello all, we have ...

Major help needed!!!! #2
Thanks for the post GE, I was able to find another computer with exce 97 still loaded. I opened the existing spreadheet and went through th tools options and unchecked th 1904 date option. Went back to m updated computer and the dates came across just fine. Also thanks Don, your comment will be noted. I was in a rushed an panic'd state : -- KyDean ----------------------------------------------------------------------- KyDeano's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1556 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27128 ...

Money 2003 Color Schemes
Anyone know where I can get additional color schemes? Or know how to produce one's own? -- Ranger Gord rangergord@hotpop.com --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.507 / Virus Database: 304 - Release Date: Aug04-03 ...

Setting up out of office reply on exchange server 5.5
Hello, Is there a way to set out of office reply on the email server rather than at the client's machine? because when the client's machine is off, no reply will be sent. I am using exchange server 5.5 with internet mail connector, using SMTP/POP. Thank you Leo wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way to set out of office reply on the email server rather > than at the client's machine? because when the client's machine is > off, no reply will be sent. I am using exchange server 5.5 with > internet mail connector, using SMTP/POP. I'm confused - where does POP...

error 0x800ccc13 #2
I have Outlook 2000 installed on WinXP home. After installing modem software (for fax purposes) I now receive error 0x800ccc13 when performing 'send receive' in Outlook. Outlook Express now also fails with 0x800ccc0f error. I've disabled all spywatch and filtering software and tested Winsock using Netdiag and Winsock passes but there is a fail for NetBT transports test failed (I'm assuming because I removed all services other than TCP/IP.) I've reinstalled Outlook Express using the procedure from #318378 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378&...

Outlook 2003, selecting Contacts question, long post, Please give feedback
We are using Outlook to manage a rather large client base. (it's not the best program for our use, but I'm not the boss) Right now the number stands at 900, with a possible 500+ more by the time we're done entering. I have to select clients each day and print them, 2 per page. I have to be in Detailed View to get the info I need to print. The "clicking and selecting" method is clumsy because if I click on the Initial column at the far right, it de-selects those already selected. Most days, I need to print 20-30 pages, (40-60 clients) I've resorted to just selecti...

MS Publisher #2
Does anyone know how to open an MS Publisher 2000 document with MS Publisher 97? You cannot open a Publisher 2000 document in Publisher 97. You need the same or later version of Publisher to open Publisher documents. -- Why is it that people don't realize that they will probably have a problem opening a newer file with an older program? Rarely does that ever happen. "Riobard" <morgan.riobard@sivh.ie> wrote in message news:12b801c38ceb$868aea80$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to open an MS Publisher 2000 document > with MS Publisher 97? Because t...

Help ! #2
Hi, I have developed an application in VC++ where spelling of a word will be checked in Excel (English is default). I have used Automation for this. I want to use the same application for German and French languages. Could someone help me on how to select the language programmatically so that selected language's dictionary will be activated and spelling of a word will be checked in that selected language's dictionary? TIA, Gary ...

Error adding users #2
Hello all: I am working with a new installation of MSCRM, and when I try to add a user I get the "AN error ahs occurred, please contact your system administrator" message. So I enabled tracing, and I have pasted the error details from the trace file below... Does anyone have any ideas? John. >MSCRM Application Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. >Parameter name: index Error Message: Index was ou...

RMS 2.0 Manual
I have a general question. I remember over year ago when we were buying RMS license we were receivig license+box with manual, user guide and Instalation CD. From some time whenever we order new license there is A2 cartboard "envelope" comming which have another A3 soft envelope in it and eventually this one ontains 10cm x 10cm RMS license sheet. Can someoe tell me is it just us or everybody have it this way. Before after we did training for customer he had Manual/User Guide to look back into if he forgot about something, I know that this manual is exact printout of ...

Qty sold/Qty available #2
Any way of doing this on a top performer report? I would like to see the qty sold and qty available per item, not individual sales. THANKS! CT >-----Original Message----- >CT, > >Detailed Sales Report and add the On Hand column. (right click on the >report, Show/Hide Columns) > >-- >Jeff > >Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security > >===================================================== > >When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via >your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit >from your issue. > >=======...

Real Exchange 5.5 issues
I just attempted to upgrade my Exchange 5.5 server to sp4. It was not the smoothest process to say the least. When I open the exchange administrator console and click on the help menu then about it says version 5.5 (build 2653.23: Service Pack 4). However when I check the properties on the server, it says version 5.5 (build 2448.8: Service Pack 2). When I start the exchange admin in raw mode there is no way to change the version of the server and I am receiving errors when I try to generate new email addresses (KB article 158336). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Aaron Hi Aa...

Email Rules in Exchange
We have a number of email rules on each PC using Outlook. To control all PCs from the Exchange server, can we define these rules somewhere within Exchange so that all email messages are evaluated before being passed on to the users' own PC This would simplify the management of the rules to reduce the spam and network load Thanks. Yeah man! Wouldn't that be nice? If Exchange came with a rules handler like Outlook, you could filter out a HUGE percentage of worthless spam. Outlook let's you filter on the contents of the entire message header (not just the stupid subject line). I...

Button for goal seek?! #2
Hello I have the following data: 5 6 12 15 20 Total of all those added I will have to set a goal seek button so that i can put the total i want and then change the cell i want i tried using a macro but i couldnt do it... I just want to do it using a click of a button instead of going to menu>goal seek>etc etc Thanks a lot From John -- Neo1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30329 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=515571 Any ...

problems compiling xsd in .Net 2003
Hi, I have an .xsd document (Inc_B.xsd) that "includes" two more from the same folder: <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc.xsd" /> <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc_A.xsd" /> They all have the same targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd" xmlns:ir="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" When I try to use xsd utility from .Net command prompt to compile Inc_B.xsd - I receive the following error: Could not find file '\Inc_B folder\Inc.xsd'. I need to assign 'Inc_B.xsd'...

FTP #2
Greetings. I have an MFC application working just fine using ftp with CInternetSession and CFtpConnection, and I'm using windows ftp server. this app needs to check file's size and dates where CFtpFileFind seems to works perfectly. I have some doubts: 1. this app seems to work fine with filezila ftp server... is there somethig I have to know working with other ftp servers specially servers runing on linux? I have seen that list files is not standard... 2. MFC can handle FTPS?? if not, does any one knows a good library? I'm starting to see libcurl. Any suggestions are welc...

Is there a way to list users currently logged into Exchange?
This sounds so basic, but I cannot for the life of me find a utility or way to determine who is logged into an Exchange server. This is for a 5.5 server, but I would also like to know for 2000/2003. The Mailbox Resource in Exchange Administrator lists te last logon and logoff time, but it is not an accurate way to tell at all (also doesn't account for OWA connections). Is the a Back Office tool or 3rd party app or freeware util or even script that will do this? Thanks! -------------------------------- From: Greg Slater ----------------------- Posted by a user from AdminLife (http://ww...

Exchange error #3
I am getting the following event in my exchange server system event with the event ID# 55: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. pls run the chkdsk utility on the volume E:. My backup is also failing.. Can someone help me to resolve this issue? Thanks, SV Sounds like you have a physical disk problem. The event you reference is not from Exchange but from the OS. -- Tyrone Cowart Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers ...

2 cells 2 colors
Hi All, Here's my glitch: I've got 2 dropdown/combo boxes in a user form. Both offer variou color options. The 1st one colors an active cell the correct color tha is chosen. The 2nd dropdown colors the cell directly to the right or th active cell in the same manner. My code is pretty crude & not ver efficient, but it works correctly. The problem is when color 2 is no chosen. Currently, if a color isn't chosen, I can put an "X" in th cell, or color it a certain color, but what I want is to color i whatever the color of the active cell is. Any ideas? Thanks -- S...

Outlook 2007
WinXP Pro SP3 Outlook 2007 - Pop3 Can outlook 2007 have mail stores (PST) greater than 2 GB? I have a friend who keeps all for his business and is pushing the limit. I was told that Outlook 2007 raised the limit. Any clarification is appreciated. -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net 20Gb + if using the new, default, pst file type of Unicode which is the default in Outlook 2003 and later If however you upgraded outlook from a pre 2003 version, then it maybe that you are still using the old outlook format data file which has the size limitation. Within Outlook, select ...

Forms.dic #2
Hi, I might have missed out something. After installing MGP v8.0 SP5 on the workstation, I then I clicked on Modifier, the system created a file called forms.dic. After this, I can't open certain forms like Sales Transaction Windows, Sales Order Fulfillment, Inventory Transaction, etc. Other forms like Item Class ID, Journal Entry are fine. Anything I miss out here? TIA, Sugih Were these forms modified? Is security pointing to the modified forms? The new forms.dic will be empty and not contain these forms. Most firms either copy a complete forms.dic from a working workstation ...

Office 97 to 2003: Excel: enter data w/fixed 2 decimal. 2000. be. #2
When I enter number "2000." I get 20.00 - yes, set decimals at 2 but earlier excel would accept change if you entered decimal with number. this is slowing down a budget prep and I'd sure like some help - online and tutorials say "enter decimal" but this is not working. what am I doing wrong? ...

One Control for 2 codes
My Combo Box cbGSTOptions selects either tax or no tax but after making my selection I need to update with another control form the calculation to work Control 2 is under the line==== Can I incorporate these two code to just the Afterupdate of my Combo Box ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Option Compare Database Option Explicit Dim recInvoice_ItMdt As ADODB.Recordset Dim recInvoice As ADODB.Recordset, dblGSTContentsValue As Double, lngIntermediateID As Long Dim dblGSTOptionsValue As Double Dim bModify As Boolean Dim ynCheque As Boolean, ln...

Problem viewing public folder in Exchange System Manager
Hi, I receive the following error message when trying to expand the Public Folder tree in the Exchange System Manager. The error message takes about 2 minutes to pop up , with the hour glass displaying up to that point. "an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host" Facility: Win32 ID no: c0072746 Exchange System Manager There is no information anywhere on this error message as far as I can find, though I have seen it posted as a problem on other news groups with without responses. See http://forums.msexchange.org/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=19;t=000143 for...