18000 Users Exchange - 2 locations

We would like to use Exchange 2003 for our school system but would like some
suggestions on an architecture.

We have two locations.

Site 1 = 14000

Site 2 = 4000-5000

How many front-end and backend system would you have and how would they be
placed?

I understand that this is all VERY high-level, but I would still like some
scenarios and suggestions provided - let's pretend bandwidth is not of a
concern.

Thanks-

0
jwilder (3)

It depends on how active the users are with their email.  I'm assuming that
those numbers include mailboxes you will be providing to students.  You'll
likely find that not all students decide to use their school-provided email
account, and even if they do use it they will do so as a secondary account
used only for school things (so very light use).

We're a large university with 7000 FTE staff and 28,000 FTE students.  Here
is our Exchange deployment:

- 2 dual CPU FE servers (load balanced)
- 5-node quad CPU cluster (4 active, 1 passive).  Staff are distributed
across 3 of the servers and students are all on the other.  We're only 1/3
the way through student conversion to Exchange, but it appears this server
will be adequate for all (although we might need another FE to support them
since they tend to use OWA almost exclusively).

-GT

"Jack Wilder" <jwilder@msn.com> wrote in message
> We would like to use Exchange 2003 for our school system but would like
> some suggestions on an architecture.
>
> We have two locations.
>
> Site 1 = 14000
>
> Site 2 = 4000-5000
>
> How many front-end and backend system would you have and how would they be
> placed?
>
> I understand that this is all VERY high-level, but I would still like some
> scenarios and suggestions provided - let's pretend bandwidth is not of a
> concern.
>
> Thanks-

0
GT
11/13/2005 1:36:27 PM
"Jack Wilder" <jwilder@msn.com> wrote:

>We would like to use Exchange 2003 for our school system but would like some
>suggestions on an architecture.
>
>We have two locations.
>
>Site 1 = 14000
>
>Site 2 = 4000-5000
>
>How many front-end and backend system would you have and how would they be
>placed?
>
>I understand that this is all VERY high-level, but I would still like some
>scenarios and suggestions provided - let's pretend bandwidth is not of a
>concern.

We put about 5K mailboxes on each BE server (4x1.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, and
connected to a SAN using EMC DMX's). The FE servers are pretty
lightweight and you could probably get by with two in site #1 (depends
on how well connected the two sites are and what you plan on doing
with them).

You don't mention important stuff, like how you plan on backing this
stuff up, how much storage you want, what your SLA's might be, Public
Folders, etc., so there's *lot's* of unmentioned things that would
affect the estimate of four BE and two FE servers.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

password and user name
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01CABE0B.1A3ACFA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable i have set this sysstem informer last year and forgot all about it, now = i cant remember password and user name, help? ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01CABE0B.1A3ACFA0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META content=...

I disabled an user, and then re-enable this user later on. But that user cannot access her Outlook Exchange mail box, and...
....when I sent her a test e-mail, I got this kind of bounce back message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 3/29/2005 4:16 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: This Useron 3/29/2005 4:16 PM The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. <mailserver.mycompany.net #5.2.1> Here are the servers info: Domain Controller: Windows Server 2003 Exchange Server:...

User name missing account report pro integrator
We are importing an American Express file(IGL) from Concur. A report is generated which lists out accounts which are missing. On that report we would like to add the user who actually entered in the transaction to allow better tracking and research capability. I do not see how to do this. I spoke to concur and the information is contained for each record of the file. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not...

Exchange services order
In what order should the MS Exchange 2003 services be shut down? >-----Original Message----- >In what order should the MS Exchange 2003 services be shut >down? >. >System Attendant should be first. This will shut down several others. Any remaining services can then be shut down. You can also just powerdown and restart normally. Exchange will take are of itself. The dependencies on the services handle the order in all versions of Exchange. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do ...

New Exchange account in Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 32-bit
How is this accomplished? I have looked for the Mail applet in Control Panel with no luck, and most posts regarding its diapperance apply to 64-bit OS. Thanks, Scott "ScottB" <ScottB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCEDB0CE-C17A-42C5-846C-E4FC0019C70E@microsoft.com... > How is this accomplished? I have looked for the Mail applet in Control > Panel > with no luck, and most posts regarding its diapperance apply to 64-bit OS. Where in Control Panel are you looking? Have you tried a classic view? It's there. I have Windows 7 3...

RE: user@domain.local
I have Exchange 2000 SP3 running Windows 2000 SP4 and using Outlook 2003. Can someone tell me what is and how I got the myusername@mydomain.local in my E-mail Addresses tab in Active Directory? ( my username and mydomain is used for demonstration purposes.) Thank you. DM I presume that your AD domain name is mydomain.local. This means you'll always see that in your recipient policy by default. If you add mydomain.com to your recipient policy & let mailboxes get updated, they'll get myusername (or whatever the default alias is)@mydomain.com - set it as the default in the poli...

OWA user rights
I need to configure OWA on an Exchange 2003 server as follows: - appointments can be set by anyone in group 1 to members of group 2 [should be OK] - group 2 members have full access (create/change/delete) only to their own calendars [should be OK] - appointments from members in group 2 can not be _changed_ by group 1 members, with the _exception_ that only the person (in group 1) who created the appointment can change it Can this be accompished with Exchange 2003 and OWA? If yes, how? Thanks, Dan ...

Alter exchange rate on unposted sales transactions?
Scenario: 1) Exchange rate is set for Friday's rate 2) Batch of invoices comes through in eConnect on Monday morning (invoice date = Monday) before Monday's exchange rate has been entered; all invoices are date/time stamped with Friday's exchange rate 3) Monday's exchange rate is entered 4) Invoices won't post with an 'exchange rate has expired' message (since Monday's is now in effect, not Friday's). Is there any way to do a mass update of the exchange rate that's been stamped on each invoice record in the SOP10100 table? We could manually edit...

If a user delete a mail....how do i get it back?
Hi all I have a exch2003 + outlook2003 setup. i have a issue where a user deleted a mail and from Deleted items also. I tried to lg onto OWA and recover it from there but was unable to do so because it was 7-10 days back. is there anything i can do in exchange to keep message e.g 30 days after it has been deleted. Thank you for your ideas. Search for "deleted item retention" in Exchange Help. - Jason "MSExchange2003Student" <exchangestudent@newsgroups.com> wrote in message news:%23jXF4C5bHHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi all > > I have a exch...

User deleted Junk E-mail folder?
I have a user that deleted her Junk E-mail folder. She doesn't seem to know how she did this (she's working from home and using OWA for the past couple of weeks, but I tried recreating with OWA and I'm not able to). We're running an Exchange 2003 server. I can't move the folder back to her mailbox so that it appears in the root. Has anyone run into this before? I was going to attempt to install Outlook 2000 on a machine hoping that the client end wouldn't recognize the folder as being special and move it back, but haven't tried that yet. I'm hoping that th...

User interface and Permissions
I'm working on a small database to work in conjunction with our website. I've got all the tables/forms/etc. done and ready to go. I've put together a switchboard for ease of navigation, I'm having a few problems though. I have the database set to open directly to the Switchboard, so that the users don't start messing around with stuff. That works, but it also opens the Access Background (with the file, edit, etc. menu, and all the shortcut icons); is there a way to keep that from coming up as well, or minimize it without minimzing the switchboard? Also, When I click...

Rebuilding Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003
I've had a number of problems with this particular server blue screening while attempting to copy and paste Exchange files, restoring the Exchange files, and after working with technicians on both the hardware and software sides, I've decided to just rebuild the server. This is my plan and I'm looking for advice to make sure I'm taking the right steps. The server is currently the master domain controller, running the global catalog, dns and dhcp. I have another domain controller in the network that I will promote and give global catalog permissions to. I will then ...

Hot opportunity. Make $18000 now!
Here is a hot opportunity to make upto $18000 in only a couple of weeks. Whats more, it only costs $5! So what have you got to lose??!!! http://www.soonstudios.com/~agardiner/mtop.html Check it out now for full details. Within these hallowed halls, AG of <adrian.gardiner@soongroup.co.uk> added the following to the collective conscience: > Here is a hot opportunity to make upto $18000 in only a couple of > weeks. > > Whats more, it only costs $5! So what have you got to lose??!!! $5? Or is that �5? Call me when it's �5 to make �18,000 and I'll have a couple goes...

Email to multiple Exchange recipients homed on direct exchange ser
If an Exchange user sends an email to multiple recipents homed on different Exchange servers in the same organizations, are duplicate copies of the email stored on each Exchange server? Or are there only pointers to a single copy regardless of recipients being homed on different Exchange servers. We are contemplating adding a 2nd server or going to enterprise version. But if we will accumulate duplicate internal email, two servers does not sound like good option. Single Instance Storage is maintained on a per-mailbox store (database) basis only. So even if you have multiple mailbox ...

User License Requirements
Can a user have a task assigned to them if they are disabled or have restricted mode access? no disabled user can be assigned any object. "Onetreeup" <Onetreeup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDFFCA3B-720E-4BC3-9056-A3D99CCB086A@microsoft.com... > Can a user have a task assigned to them if they are disabled or have > restricted mode access? ...

Exchange 2003 server problem
I have an issue where some inbound emails seem to be going to the administrator/postmaster despite being addressed properly to a valid user mailbox on the server. For example, if I use my Hotmail email account to send and email to foo1@foo.com, it goes to the mailbox on the Exchange server for foo1. However, if foo1 has subscribed to a list server (offsite) the inbound email will go to the Exchange administrator/postmaster, despite being addressed properly to foo1@foo.com....?! Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated. TIA Maurice On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:57:37 +0100, "Mau...

Email DomainA/Email DomainB
I have a recipent policy now (Default) that allows everyone to get a email addres user@abc.com and user@efg.com. I want to add another domain; xyz.com but only allow specific users to get those email addresses. The number of users is small enough that I could manually add the email to each user. According to a previous post, I could create a new policy for the new domain (so exchange allows the reciept of the email) and leave it blank, but I wonder if I leave the policy filter "blank", will it create email addresses for all the users automatically, or can I pick and choose b...

Changing the display name of a user
This probably sounds like a dumb question, but I've tried everything I can think of and it is not changing. I have a user who was setup with a wrong display name (I thought it was Robert, it should be Rob). I'm running SBS2003. I have went into user manager and clicked on the change display name and did it that way. It changed it on the user manager window, but not when you log into OWA and send an email, the person that receives the email still shows Robert as the sender. I have went into the user properties and looked around there with out seeing anything. I didn'...

User form problem
I have made a userform, which works great. However i have a problem. I would like the userform to only load up when the template file i opened. I do not want it to load when saved workbook copies of th template are opened. The system I am creating is an invoice system, and thus the loading o the userform is only necessary upon opening the template, not any othe files. Is this possible to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Z -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Zairn You can check the Len of the Thisworkbook.path in the Macro. A template have no path Sub test() I...

Exchange 2003 SP2 Symbols
What is the best way to install the symbols for E2K3-SP2? ...

Number of mail enabled users
I need to create a report that shows me number of mail enabled users in exchange 2003 server who have accessed their mailbox during last month. I can create a report using AD users and computers that shows all mail enabled objects and their last login time. But there are two problems with this: 1- It includes distributin lists as well as users. 2- Last login time could be time when system (i.e. for backup or virus check) accessed mailbox and not user. Is there any tool or 3rd party product which can help to produce more accurate report? Masoud Try this script http://www.rlmueller.net/Las...

Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F)
Dear All, We have users on outlook 2003 getting error message while doing dend and recieve. The users can send and receive from outlook but they get the following message when sending and receiving is done: Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.' We have Exchange 2003 installed in a front end and back end environment with ISA 2004 on which OWA is published. Please help -- Haroon Malik Try to check this KB Article 887409, i had the same error message and solved. "Haroon Malik" w...

Exchange server rejecting SMTP connections with 521 error.
Greetings. I have recently commenced working with a company which has a somewhat wonky exchange 5.5 server running on W2K in an active directory domain. This server occasionally rejects mail from an external internet source with the following error 521 Server does not accept mail 421 SMTP service not available, closing transmission channel Connection closed by foreign host. COuld anyone point me in the right direction as to where to look to find out WHY this infuriating pile of junk is doing this? It doesn't reject mail from every domain - some internet mail gets in perfectly well. ...

User can not deleted
Hi all, when I try to delete a user project server 2007says: test_epm : The resource is owner on one or more projects and cannot be deleted I am shure, that this user has NO Projects and is not assigned to any projects with work. I deleted already all assignments for this user. Peter the clients and the server are on the latest patch level Peter -- Navigate to the Project Center page and apply the Summary view. Click the Settings menu and choose the Group item. In the Group pane, click the Group By pick list and select the Owner field. Look for the projects owned b...

User Access Reporting
Hello Everybody, Does anyone know of a better way to audit security for individual users that the User Security report? Even with the options set to include Accessible Items only, we're finding the report for a single user runs well over 100 pages. With that kind of bulk, both the generation and review of the reports becomes a major endeavor. We're currently using GP9, with plans to go to 10 this year. Thanks, Jeremy Hi Jeremy Have you looked at the Rockton Software add-on called Security Auditor? I think it will do everything you are looking for and more. -- Fliehigh &q...