"Message delivery to the remote domain '<ISP SMTP server>' failed for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host."

"Message delivery to the remote domain '<ISP SMTP server>' failed for the
following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host."

For the past couple of weeks I have been getting the above message every
10-15 minutes on Exchange 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4. The SMTP queue also
clogs up for a while then suddenly clears out.

I have asked our ISP to look at their end & they claim there are no
problems.

A while ago I had this problem & switching off 8 bit MIME appeared to work
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=262168). I have made no
changes to Exchange in months tho.

When I telnet to our ISP's SMTP server & type EHLO I get the response: "250
8BITMIME"

Does this mean their server wants me to talk 8BITMIME but I am having the
problems cos I have turned it off on our Exchange box?

Any other ideas please?

Many thanks
Eddie

Hi Eddie,

There may be a number of various reasons for this behaviour, but this often
occurs if the email server sending does not have PTR record (reverse name)
for its IP address. Do you have PTR record correctly set up? Does the
reverse name point back to the IP?

  Peter

"Eddie Cooper" <eddiejcooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Message delivery to the remote domain '<ISP SMTP server>' failed for the
> following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host."
>
> For the past couple of weeks I have been getting the above message every
> 10-15 minutes on Exchange 2000 SP3, Windows 2000 SP4. The SMTP queue also
> clogs up for a while then suddenly clears out.
>
> I have asked our ISP to look at their end & they claim there are no
> problems.
>
> A while ago I had this problem & switching off 8 bit MIME appeared to work
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=262168). I have made no
> changes to Exchange in months tho.
>
> When I telnet to our ISP's SMTP server & type EHLO I get the response:
"250
> 8BITMIME"
>
> Does this mean their server wants me to talk 8BITMIME but I am having the
> problems cos I have turned it off on our Exchange box?
>
> Any other ideas please?
>
> Many thanks
> Eddie

0
Peter
9/27/2004 12:46:02 PM
I have just checked in my AD domain's DNS servers & yes, the PTR record is
there. Should it be anywhere else?

I have a single Exchange 2000 server which forwards all mail to the
smarthost which is set as our ISP's SMTP server. It has done this for the
past 3 years with no hitches apart from about a year ago when we had exactly
these symptoms. That was when I switched off 8 bit MIME & the problem went
away.

Suddenly it is back & nothing has changed! :-(

Thanks
Eddie

> I have just checked in my AD domain's DNS servers & yes, the PTR record is
> there. Should it be anywhere else?

Did you check that from an external source, e.g. http://www.dnsstuff.com? If
it still seems to be OK, you can try the hard way: get a packet capture
software like Ethereal and monitor the SMTP traffic to the ISP SMTP server
to see which command fails. This may help to draw some conclusion.

You can also try a more complete telnet check with MAIL FROM and RCPT TO.

Peter

0
Peter
9/27/2004 1:06:13 PM
Using dnsstuff.com I can see my ISP's relay servers set for my email domain.
Does that sound about right?

> "Eddie Cooper" <eddiejcooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have just checked in my AD domain's DNS servers & yes, the PTR record
>> is
>> there. Should it be anywhere else?
>
> Did you check that from an external source, e.g. http://www.dnsstuff.com?
> If
> it still seems to be OK, you can try the hard way: get a packet capture
> software like Ethereal and monitor the SMTP traffic to the ISP SMTP server
> to see which command fails. This may help to draw some conclusion.
>
> You can also try a more complete telnet check with MAIL FROM and RCPT TO.
>
> Peter

Ah, so you do not host MX for your domain, the emails are pulled down from
your ISP's server using POP3 (or another method) and you send outgoing via
the ISP mail relays?

If so, it is clearly an issue between your server and the ISP relays. Did
you do the packet capture? Also, did you verify the PTR record for your
outbound email server?

> Using dnsstuff.com I can see my ISP's relay servers set for my email
domain.
> Does that sound about right?
>
> Thanks
> Eddie
>

> "Peter Karsai" <welcome.home@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> > "Eddie Cooper" <eddiejcooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have just checked in my AD domain's DNS servers & yes, the PTR record
> >> is
> >> there. Should it be anywhere else?
> >
> > Did you check that from an external source, e.g.
http://www.dnsstuff.com?
> > If
> > it still seems to be OK, you can try the hard way: get a packet capture
> > software like Ethereal and monitor the SMTP traffic to the ISP SMTP
server
> > to see which command fails. This may help to draw some conclusion.
> >
> > You can also try a more complete telnet check with MAIL FROM and RCPT
TO.

> > Peter

0
Peter
9/28/2004 9:15:36 AM
The emails just roll down the 2Mb pipe from our ISP, no need for fingering
etc.

Outbound email is configured to "Forward all mail through this connector to
the following smart hosts" which is set to our ISP's SMTP server.

Just realised I checked MX records not PTR records. MX records exist for
both the ISP SMTP server & our own email domain. PTR records do not show for
either.