"Block auto-forward outside local domain" question

I know that Exchange can be configured to block auto-forward/redirection
outside of it's own domain, and that this can be enabled for certain
specified domains.

But is there the possibility to add a "user exit" that can also enable this
feature, based on some programtic criteria?  For example, if Exchange user X
has an external e-mail address my-x@somewhere.else.net, could a user exit
allow X to auto-forward to their external account?

If "yes", where is some information about this feature, and where would be a
good place to configure the external e-mail address to make it easy for the
user exit processing?

Cheers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

In ESM / Global Settings , create a new domain in the Internet message
formats

--
Regards,
Yannick DUCERF
> I know that Exchange can be configured to block auto-forward/redirection
> outside of it's own domain, and that this can be enabled for certain
> specified domains.
>
> But is there the possibility to add a "user exit" that can also enable
this
> feature, based on some programtic criteria?  For example, if Exchange user
> has an external e-mail address my-x@somewhere.else.net, could a user exit
> allow X to auto-forward to their external account?
>
> If "yes", where is some information about this feature, and where would be
> good place to configure the external e-mail address to make it easy for
the
> user exit processing?
>
> Cheers,
> Paul DS.
>
> --
> Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

0
yducerf (64)
10/18/2004 9:34:40 AM
Yannick,

Doesn't your suggestion enable e-mails out to the entire somewhere.else.net
domain?  Also, this requires Exchange guru/supervisor management if, for
example, Mr X changes his home ISP.  What I am looking for is a system with
these features.

1. Restricts outbound e-mails to a specific single address rather than any
random address in a domain.
2. Allows for (possible) modification by users.  For example, Mr X may have
the ability to modify his home e-mail address, and this should change the
ability to send to my-x@new.home.net (and remove the ability to send to the
old address) without the need for the Exchange gurus to get involved.
3. My Y cannot send to my-x@new.home.net because that is not his configured
home address.  He can configure his own y@y.home.net, should he wish, and
this is seamlessly, and without guru help, actioned by the Exchange system.

Perhaps I have misunderstood your suggestion, in which case, please point me
at some educational websites ;-).

Paul DS.

"Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> In ESM / Global Settings , create a new domain in the Internet message
> formats
>
> --
> Regards,
> Yannick DUCERF
> French Exchange Administrator
> "Paul D.Smith" <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de
> 41738872$0$20469$ed9e5944@reading.news.pipex.net...
> > I know that Exchange can be configured to block auto-forward/redirection
> > outside of it's own domain, and that this can be enabled for certain
> > specified domains.
> >
> > But is there the possibility to add a "user exit" that can also enable
> this
> > feature, based on some programtic criteria?  For example, if Exchange
user
> > has an external e-mail address my-x@somewhere.else.net, could a user
exit
> > allow X to auto-forward to their external account?
> >
> > If "yes", where is some information about this feature, and where would
be
> > good place to configure the external e-mail address to make it easy for
> the
> > user exit processing?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Paul DS.
> >
> > --
> > Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

There is nothing that I know of in Exchange that allows you to let users
perform this action, and for good reason.  Autoforwarding is dangerous, and
can cause mail loops.  If you would like to allow a user to automatically
forward e-mail to a certain address, then here is how you go about doing
this.

1.  Turn off auto-forwarding to the Internet.
2.  Create a mail-enabled contact (Exchange 2000) or Custom Recipient
(Exchange 5.5) that points to the external address you are wanting to
forward to (i.e. joeuser@theirisp.com).
3a.  On the properties of User X's mailbox, in 5.5, go to the Delivery
Options tab and set the Custom recipient as the Alternate recipient.  Make
sure that you check the box to enable delivery to both the Alternate
recipient and the local mailbox.  Once you are done, hide the custom
recipient from the GAL.  This ensures that no one else in the company can
"send" to that custom recipient, but it will still forward all e-mail for
User X to their home address.
3b.  If using Exchange 2000/2003, then in Active directory, go to the
properties of the user and under the Exchange General tab, Delivery Options
button, set the contact as the forwarding address.  Hide the contact from
the GAL same as above.
--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Paul D.Smith" <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yannick,
>
> Doesn't your suggestion enable e-mails out to the entire
> somewhere.else.net
> domain?  Also, this requires Exchange guru/supervisor management if, for
> example, Mr X changes his home ISP.  What I am looking for is a system
> with
> these features.
>
> 1. Restricts outbound e-mails to a specific single address rather than any
> random address in a domain.
> 2. Allows for (possible) modification by users.  For example, Mr X may
> have
> the ability to modify his home e-mail address, and this should change the
> ability to send to my-x@new.home.net (and remove the ability to send to
> the
> old address) without the need for the Exchange gurus to get involved.
> 3. My Y cannot send to my-x@new.home.net because that is not his
> configured
> home address.  He can configure his own y@y.home.net, should he wish, and
> this is seamlessly, and without guru help, actioned by the Exchange
> system.
>
> Perhaps I have misunderstood your suggestion, in which case, please point
> me
> at some educational websites ;-).
>
> Paul DS.
>
> "Yannick DUCERF" <yducerf@nospam.yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>> In ESM / Global Settings , create a new domain in the Internet message
>> formats
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Yannick DUCERF
>> French Exchange Administrator
>> "Paul D.Smith" <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de
>> 41738872$0$20469$ed9e5944@reading.news.pipex.net...
>> > I know that Exchange can be configured to block
>> > auto-forward/redirection
>> > outside of it's own domain, and that this can be enabled for certain
>> > specified domains.
>> >
>> > But is there the possibility to add a "user exit" that can also enable
>> this
>> > feature, based on some programtic criteria?  For example, if Exchange
> user
>> > has an external e-mail address my-x@somewhere.else.net, could a user
> exit
>> > allow X to auto-forward to their external account?
>> >
>> > If "yes", where is some information about this feature, and where would
> be
>> > good place to configure the external e-mail address to make it easy for
>> the
>> > user exit processing?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Paul DS.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

0
Ben