"A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients"

I'm hoping someone can offer a simple solution for this problem. Thanks
much in advance.

A local company is running SBS 2003 and has a domain name of "xxx.com"
The partners split and the server was kept as "xxx.com" in Active
Directory but the email domain was changed to "yyy.com".

We couldn't change the Active Directory domain since it's not allowed
in SBS 2003. So, DNS is still set up with "xxx.com".

Now, when the secretary tries to send email to "oldowner@xxx.com", we
receive the message in the subject above.

Is there an easy fix for this without having to rebuild the server?  We
need to keep Active Directory as "xxx.com" but need to be able to email
outside to another SMTP domain "xxx.com".

Thanks again.

-dave

0
mtdave (4)

DAve, if you change your recipient policie and setup a new default SMTP
address and apply it to all recipients, it should work.

"mtdave@gmail.com" wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can offer a simple solution for this problem. Thanks
> much in advance.
>
> A local company is running SBS 2003 and has a domain name of "xxx.com"
> The partners split and the server was kept as "xxx.com" in Active
> Directory but the email domain was changed to "yyy.com".
>
> We couldn't change the Active Directory domain since it's not allowed
> in SBS 2003. So, DNS is still set up with "xxx.com".
>
> Now, when the secretary tries to send email to "oldowner@xxx.com", we
> receive the message in the subject above.
>
> Is there an easy fix for this without having to rebuild the server?  We
> need to keep Active Directory as "xxx.com" but need to be able to email
> outside to another SMTP domain "xxx.com".
>
> Thanks again.
>
> -dave

5.3.5 A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients
We are running a single exchange 2003 server. We do not have an SMTP connector, and we are not forwarding all mail to a smart host. I have tried the only fix that I was able to find on Microsoft's site with no success. Only one user is experiencing this problem, and it is only to one specific email address. I used smtpdiag to check the connections between the server and it gives me the following result: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for xxxx@xx.net Error: Expected "250". Server rejected the recipient address. Failed to submit mail to xx.xx.net. Any suggestions ...

"A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients"
I'm hoping someone can offer a simple solution for this problem. Thanks much in advance. A local company is running SBS 2003 and has a domain name of "xxx.com" The partners split and the server was kept as "xxx.com" in Active Directory but the email domain was changed to "yyy.com". We couldn't change the Active Directory domain since it's not allowed in SBS 2003. So, DNS is still set up with "xxx.com". Now, when the secretary tries to send email to "oldowner@xxx.com", we receive the message in the subject above. Is there an easy...

Solution: #5.4.6 "A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients"
Hi, I had this error sending from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 5.5. It only affected one or two destination accounts. The solution was the user object had the "target address" attribute, like a contact, for the receiving domain. This was found by searching for all Exchange users, contacts, groups etc in AD Users and Computers and including "Email Address (External)" in the returned results. The affected accounts were mailbox enabled, but had this field set. The solution was to use ADSIEDIT to clear the "target address" attribute of the user object and then mail ro...