XML Advantages in Excell

Hi,
I have hard about great XML futures in Excel, but I cant find any
examples how to use and what are the advantages, could anyone give me
some good link or some info about how could I improve my day to day
task with use of XML ?

regards
Peter

0
hokah (84)
4/10/2006 7:43:12 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Piotr wrote...
>I have hard about great XML futures in Excel, but I cant find any
>examples how to use and what are the advantages, could anyone give me
>some good link or some info about how could I improve my day to day
>task with use of XML ?

If you don't already have some notion of how XML would benefit you,
it's very likely it wouldn't. XML would be most useful if you were
trying to use data contained in Excel workbooks in other applications.
If you only use data contained in Excel workbooks in Excel itself, then
there's very little benefit to XML.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
4/10/2006 7:52:49 AM
Would be possible to make a excell conection to exported data from
Access in XML ?
And then export changed by user table to XML as automatic ?

0
hokah (84)
4/10/2006 8:20:35 AM
Conceptually, and at its simplest level, XML is another way of storing data
-- very much like a CSV file for example.  Two big "things" about XML are
that (1) everything is in a human-readable text format (very much like HTML
is human readable and creates web pages) and (2) one can describe the layout
of the data within the file itself where the description can be fairly
complex.  This, of course, allows the data in the file to be fairly complex
itself.

You really should start with an introductory book (or website?) on the
subject.

I use XML to transfer data from a web-driven database to XL.  For several
applications I've developed, whenever the user wants to get the data from
the database, s/he visits this web page and requests the data.  The request
is processed by a ASP page that writes the data to a text file using the
same rules as XL's SpreadsheetXML format.  Once done, the user can download
the XML file to their machine and open it with XL.

If you are interested in further processing...I developed an add-in that (1)
saves the XML file as a regular XL file and (2) creates a new workbook based
on a template that I provide.  This new workbook contains several results
(pivottables, non-pivottables, charts, etc.) needed to analyze the
downloaded data.  It accesses the downloaded data (now in a regular XL file)
via a SQL query (created through MS Query).

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article <1144654992.326830.304510@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
hokah@wp.pl says...
> Hi,
> I have hard about great XML futures in Excel, but I cant find any
> examples how to use and what are the advantages, could anyone give me
> some good link or some info about how could I improve my day to day
> task with use of XML ?
>
> regards
> Peter

Writing data from excel to sql-server
I would like to write the values of A1 and B1 to a SQL-Server table every 10 seconds. How can I do this ? Best regards Svein Olav Steinmo There's only two ways I know of to do this. 1.) You have to create a link to the EXCEL sheet in question using MS SQL Enterprise Manager. Then create a scheduled job to run an SQL statement to update the SQL table. Note: Changes to the EXCEL file will update automatically through SQL link. 2.) Create an Access DB with links to the respective tables and worksheets. Create a PASS THROUGH query that updates the SQL table using the EXCEL data...

XML Header

Problem opening excel 97
When I open Excel 97 I receive an error. Microsoft Visual Basic- Permission to use object denied. I have tried re- registering excel with no luck. Any other ideas? Thank you Chip Pearson has a WebPage that offers a variety of suggestions. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm HTH Paul -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >W...

how to compare two excel files
i would like to know how to compare two excel files. is there any tool for that? in addtion is there any way to maintain several versions of the same file with easy way to have diff between them? thanks, -- Miri Tz. Hi Miri, There are a number of programs out in the market that provide more complex comparision. Otherwise you could simply make a new sheet and copy the following formula into A1: =if('[book1.xls]sheet1'!a1='[book2.xls]sheet1'!a1,"","<<<") anotherway to do it is to run the following you need to set up the workbook and workshee...

Read XHTML into XML

excel: real slow to start up
Not sure what's changed but I am finding my Excel takes an age to load and open a file.... so anyone care to tell me what to look for and how to fix it? Many thanks Yours Andrew J Fife Andrew A lot of "slow" Excel problems are caused by too many files in your Windows\Temp folders. Clear out your Windows\Temp folder.(see notes below) If using WinXP another Temp folder would be in your Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp If you are on a Net, the Temp folder could be just about anywhere. Notes on deleting Windows\Temp files............ Re-boot to make sure t...

How to invoke the xml editor?

Dynamic Excel
Dear All Is there anything that I can do in Excel to my Excel report dynamic? For eg... is it possible to create something which will create results based on figures keyed in... ? Any suggestions would be welcomed... It would be good if u could send me similar Excel project of yours... to me as reference... Cheers --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi this is a little bit vague :-) maybe as a starting point: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/exce...

how do i hyphenate text in excel
how do I edit narrative entries in an excel spreadsheet format? I.e. how do I get words to hyphenate automatically in cells? XL isn't a word processor - there's no built-in functionality for automatic hyphenation. XL knows nothing about words, punctuation, etc. In theory it could be done with event macros, but if you're looking for hyphenation at syllabic borders, they would have to be rather sophisticated. In article <259E5311-F66B-4DDD-BAE5-87E40D39A625@microsoft.com>, cjol in WA <cjol in WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how do I edit narrative ent...

EXCEL 2003 How to swtch frmttng ptterns for RADAR chrt to border/a
I am creating radar chart comparing my new chart with existing chart (two different excel files on same computer). On the old chart legend keys displayed as little squares, on the new - as lines. When I bring up Format legend Key dialog on the _OLD_ chart, on the Tab Patterns I see two groups: Border and Area. The Sample shows a rectangle with colored border. When I bring up Format legend Key dialog on the _NEW_ chart, on the Tab Patterns I see another two groups: Line and Marker. The Sample shows a simply a colored line. Same difference I see in Patterns Tab for Format Data Series dialog...

excel forms
Can anyone tell me how you can get a text box to display a number in the format 0.00 ? Dim myVal as double myval = 3 textbox1.value = format(myval,"0.00") Jim Lavery wrote: > > Can anyone tell me how you can get a text box to display a number in the > format 0.00 ? -- Dave Peterson Good evning Jim Lavery This code will show the value of 100 to two decimal places i textbox1: TextBox1.Value = Format(100, "#,###.00") HTH Dominic -- dominic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dominicb's Profile: http://www.ex...

I want to use excel to keep track of my book collection, but I have a question...
Hi, I want to create a database of sorts using excel to keep track of my book collection, but I have a question. Essentially for each book listed on a row I want a column for each of the following: book title, author, publisher, year, and genre. I've used Excel before and have seen a spreadsheet with a worksheet like the above which had a second worksheet that had a button marked "Add book details" When you clicked it you filled the info above into a few boxes and then it would actually add the info you typed in, into the first worksheet and even sorted it into the corr...

show XML schema and values

Offline synch using XML web-services

how to preserve formatting from Access 03 to Excel 03
Has anyone been having issues with exporting a report from Access to Excel, and the data format changing? If so, and you have fixed the issue, please let me know. Thank you ...

excel 2003 no of cells
Hi ! DOes anyone know if the size of a worksheet in excel has increased in 2003 version compared to 2002. We have some reports that are bigger than excel but cannot find any info re the size of the new version. Hope someone can help ! Thanks in advance Carolyn Same size - 65536 rows and 256 columns. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Carolyn Bromley" <anon@anon> wrote in message news:uJzl9tMREHA.3300@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi ! > > DOes anyone know if the size of a worksheet in excel has increased in 2003 > version compared to 2002. > > We have some reports ...

How do I set up a formula to insert text in excel?
Hi, I have a questionnaire that is administered on an excel sheet with respondents typing their answers (i.e 1,2,3) into specific cells. Is there any way that I can create a formula (or something??) that inserts response relevant text into another sheet in the workbook, to create a report? Many Thanks, Nikki Nikki You can use formulas for this type of thing if you want this done only once. But if this is a repeating task I would suggest an event macro. If you want to use an event macro you will have to decide when you want this copying to take place. IOW, what event do you want t...

Beginner of XML

Why does my excel chart appear in gray when I copy it?
I want to copy an excel chart into powerpoint. It is a simple column chart. However the columns contain a color gradient. When I copy the chart to the clipoard, the columns turn into gray. This problem however does not occur on other computers using the same excel version (2003). Hi batman, There are about 30 ways to copy and paste charts from Excel into PowerPoint. The problem you are describing is not one I have heard of - namely that it works on one machine but not another. However, you could try a different method of copying. For example - you can use the Camera tool to copy a ...

SmartList Export to Excel Opens Another Instance of Excel
Client just moved from SP1 to SP2 on v9 Dynamics GP. Also using Excel 2003. Complaint is that while on SP1, they could export from SmartList to Excel; with Excel adding workbooks to the current Excel instance. Through the toolbar window, they could easily flip through workbooks (they have several various exports throughout their daily routine). However, now with SP2, each export will open a new instance of Excel. This results in several Excel programs open at the bottom of the screen, with each containing only one workbook. Although this may seem trivial, it does make it inco...

String to xml document

protection on excel
I have created a form using excel where the users enter a numeric data and using formula to calculate the data. I wanted to post the excel online for the user to use it, but i don't want the user to change any contains on the forms except the input field. In other word, I don't want the user be able to change the formule structurre. Is there a way to do this on excel? Thanks in advances Loc Hi - first select the cells for which you want to allow entries - goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked' - now goto 'tools - Protection' and protec...

How do I create a query field in Excel
I have a sheet with 9000 part numbers on it. Is there a way of say at the top of the sheet having some sort of search box, so I can type in the part# and it goes straight to that part? Thanks Hi, Method1: Using the Filter feature. -select a cell in the data -goto menu Data>Filter>AutoFilter - now your data header has dopdown boxes. From the part# header select the part#. This will make all show only rows with this part# Method2: -Select column Part# - menu Edit >Find Method 3: with code - In a code module, paste the following sub FindAndGo Also change the 'CHANGE HERE...

excel formula needed
I need a formula to 1) look in colunm a, gather any numbers present in that colunm, even though most wil be empty 2) then i want them to take that list, get rid of the empty cells and put that data either into a new table or on another sheet. thanks. Sounds like a sort would work. If you want a function, try this: =IF(ROWS($1:1)<=COUNTA(A1:A20),INDEX(A1:A20,SMALL(IF(A1:A20<>"",ROW(A1:A20)-MIN(ROW(A1:A20))+1),ROWS($1:1))),"") Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just enter... HTH, Ryan--- -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indica...