XL 2002: Row limit in Pivot Tables

Hello all,

Using XL 2002.

I was looking for this in XL's help, but couldn't find it:  What is the row
limit for pivot tables?

I have a set of data that I know will have 48,309 rows (less than the 65,536
row per sheet), but when I try to create this pivot table I get the
following error:  "A field in your source data has more unique items than
can be used in a PivotTable report.  MS XL may not be able to create the
report, or may create the report without the data from this field."

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the source data is a filtered
view from a SQL Server 2005 DB.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Excel 2002 and 2003 is 32,500 unique items.
Prior to that it was 8000.
Excel 2002 help under "specifications" says the limit is 8000 but that is wrong.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Conan Kelly"
wrote in message
Hello all,
Using XL 2002.

I was looking for this in XL's help, but couldn't find it:  What is the row
limit for pivot tables?

I have a set of data that I know will have 48,309 rows (less than the 65,536
row per sheet), but when I try to create this pivot table I get the
following error:  "A field in your source data has more unique items than
can be used in a PivotTable report.  MS XL may not be able to create the
report, or may create the report without the data from this field."

I don't know if it makes any difference, but the source data is a filtered
view from a SQL Server 2005 DB.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

0
jim.coneXXX (771)
7/17/2007 4:14:32 AM
Jim,

Thank you for all of your help,

Conan Kelly

"Jim Cone" <jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX> wrote in message

> Excel 2002 and 2003 is 32,500 unique items.
> Prior to that it was 8000.
> Excel 2002 help under "specifications" says the limit is 8000 but that is
> wrong.
> --
> Jim Cone
> San Francisco, USA
> http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
> (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)
>

> "Conan Kelly"
> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> Using XL 2002.
>
> I was looking for this in XL's help, but couldn't find it:  What is the
> row
> limit for pivot tables?
>
> I have a set of data that I know will have 48,309 rows (less than the
> 65,536
> row per sheet), but when I try to create this pivot table I get the
> following error:  "A field in your source data has more unique items than
> can be used in a PivotTable report.  MS XL may not be able to create the
> report, or may create the report without the data from this field."
>
> I don't know if it makes any difference, but the source data is a filtered
> view from a SQL Server 2005 DB.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can provide,
>
> Conan Kelly

configuring outlook 2002
hello everyone, i don't know how to configure outlook2002. I had windows 98se and upgraded to XP. I know there is supposed to be a wizard that takes you through the setup, but i accedently closed it and now i can't get it back (from what I understand, and i may be wrong, the only time it comes on is the first time you try to access outlook after the upgrade) and now have to set up my accounts manually, something I don't know how to do! if anyone can help me i would really appreciate it, thank you Luis You can access the connection wizard through Internet Explorer, Tools,...

how to drag the cell to assign numbers by skipping one row each ti
1 skip 2 skip 3 skip 4 and so on... I A1 enter 1 In A3 enter 2 Select A1:A4 and drag down. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Paran" <Paran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8633F6F5-AF19-492D-9163-8735373A222A@microsoft.com... > 1 > skip > 2 > skip > 3 > skip > 4 > and so on... hi in a1, enter 1 in a3, enter 2 in a5, enter 3 in a7, enter 4 this will leave a2,a4 and a6 blank. high light a2:A7. DO NOT include a1 in the high lighted selection. hover the mouse over the lower left corner of ...

Word Table to Excel Sheet
Each day, a customer sends me a Word doc with 20 pages of data in several columns of a table. It's nice and orderly, but I live in Excel all day, and would rather view the data there. I use Office 2000. Is there a quick way to bring a Word table into an Excel sheet? What happens if you just cut and paste it Doug? Copy the table in Word and paste it into your worksheet. On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:06:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote: >Each day, a customer sends me a Word doc with 20 pages of data in several >columns of a table. It's nice an...

Outlook 2002 shuts down with "remote procedure call failed" error
Hello, I've got a bugger of a problem that I can't seem to get around. I've got Outlook 2002 hitting an exchange server. It can download messages just fine on entering. But, when I try and hit the "to" button on a new mail to access the address book, It freezes up for a couple seconds, then the main outlook window closes and I get a "remote procedure call failed" error. Outlook also closes down when I try and access the calendars. It seems to me that the problem could be happening only when I try to access the exchange server, but i'm not exactly sure. I ...

changing default language in XL
I know this probably sounds completely stupid, but i have a swedish version of XL and want to change it to English, as well as not understanding swedish, i am not 100 percent on computers. can someone please help? Thanks Pete. I don't think you can. I think you have to buy the English version... ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com Check out the NEWsgroup stats! Check out: www.ExcelUserConference.com "peter curran" <petercurran17@eircom.net> wrote in message news:cUiIf.5957$j7.214198@news.indigo.ie... >I know this probably sounds completely ...

Pivot charts and graphs ?
I know pivot charts are used to "summarize" the data. but if i have a table like A 20 24 83.33 B 16 24 66.66 where the fourth column is calcuating the 2nd/3rd * 100. basically percentage. Now if i want to draw a graph its easy, but if i want it to be drawn through a pivot table ? ie a pivot chart how would i do it. Now my question is in what format my data should be so that i can draw a similar graph which shows A and B and their percentages. NOw i know i can use calculate field , but you see eventually i want it to be published on "share point" where the only graphing...

Help! Pivot table need to make Pie Chart
Hi, Can anybody help me, i need to make a pie chart after i made the pivot table. Here what i have for data: Year, Month, Company's name, product and Revenue. I need to make a pie chart of What % of total sales did each product group contribute on the same sheet. Francis In the pivot table, put Product in the row area, and revenue in the data area. Remove the other fields from the pivot table Select a cell outside of the pivot table, and click the Chart Wizard button Select the Pie chart type, and one of the subtypes Click Next For the data range, ...

Publisher 2002
I'm creating an Employee Directory (130 employees total, 4 employees per page) and cannot get the merge to move to the next record. Since the 'Catalog Merge' function isn't an option in 2002, and the company isn't going to buy 2003, can anyone help me do this in Publisher? Thanks, Kate Divide the page into 4. Input this number into the page setup. (2.75 inches), click the "change copies per sheet", change the gaps and margins to zero. This will give you 4 entries per page. Only one entry will be on your screen. Setup your merge. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP htt...

Outlook 2002 #64
I am having an issue with Outlook 2002 when I try to forward an email the exisiting text turns yellow and barely readable to the person I am sending the email too. My fonts are all set to BLACK. I can not seem to figure this out. It has also happened from time to time when I have tried to reply to a message. Has anyone seen this? How do you fix it? Thanks >I am having an issue with Outlook 2002 when I try to >forward an email the exisiting text turns yellow and >barely readable to the person I am sending the email >too. Chnage the format to plain text. -- Brian Til...

Default Value =now() in table
I have a Default Value of =now() for a DateEntered field formatted as General Date. I noticed when I copy pasted a group of 4 records the DateEntered field did not update automatically. Could it be because I copy/pasted a block of records or can you tell me when/how it is supposed to update automatically from w/in the table. The DateEntered works OK on the form but the form add/enters one record typed at a time - is that the difference? Realistically, copy-and-paste is seldom a good idea when working with databases. Default values only apply for new records, and you're ...

XL 03 vs XL 97
Is the newer version of XL that much better than 97? I have a copy of Office '03 Student and Teacher edition, but have never bothered to install it. Are the improvements in it actually worth the effort to mess with it? There are several improvements, but not very spectacular ones. The next version of Excel (due late 2006) will be the biggest change since many years. See http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message news:wNednQFttM0wajreRVn-rw@comcast.com... > Is ...

send/receive problems with outlook 2002
Hey guys, having a problem here. I recently setup my hotmail account with outlook 2002. This is the only account setup through outlook. The auto send/receive feature does not seem to be working. I've test sent about 12 different messages from another pop3 account. I can watch the bottom right corner as it says "Send/Receive Complete". Nothing shows up in my Hotmail Inbox. If I manually click the SEND/RECEIVE Button, the message shows up. I tried configuring a new send/receive group and adding the account, but then I just ended up with 2 copies of the message. An...

Access - Macro
Hello, I have 2 databases. DB1 and DB2. DB2 is more or less like a rater. I give the input to the DB2 and DB2 produce the output back to me. In DB1, I have a macro (plus calling vba code) that will 1. send the input file to DB2 2. Run the macro in DB2 (part of the macro in DB2 will run a Make table query which will make an Output table in DB1.) 3. Update the result from Output table into another table in DB1. The problem I have is the macro failed at step3. it said the table doesn't exist... I ignored the message, and run the query of step 3 manually and it works f...

Pivot Table Show Pages missing from Excel XP
I used to use the "Show Pages" function on my Pivot tables in Excel before but now I have been upgraded to Excel 2007. Has this option gone away as I can not find out how to do this now. found it, happy guy Select a cell in the pivot table On the Ribbon, click the Options tab In the PivotTable group, click the dropdown arrow for Options Choose Show Report Filter Pages Select a filter, and click OK "Don" wrote: > I used to use the "Show Pages" function on my Pivot tables in Excel before > but now I have been upgraded to Excel 2007. ...

Help: how to "merge" rows while summing some values
Hi, sorry for the title, but I have no simpler way to put it: here is the issue: I have a worksheet where different orders from the different customers are shown. I would like to get a resulting sheet where I have only one row for each customer, where the total $ amount is shown for each customer. Column A and B identify the customer (name and location), column C and D are the $ amount and number of items. So I have sorted the sheet using A and B: now I would like Excel to uniquify the rows based on column A and B, while showing the total per customer on column C and D Any help is greatly...

Strange problem in outllok 2002
Hi, I am facing a strange issue related to outlook 2003. My POP3 server is external. I have 30 client machines on my domain and I have configured outlook 2003 successfully But on 1 machines it gives me an error while connecting to the POP3 & SMTP server that is " Receiving reported' error (0x80042108): 'Outlook is unable to connect your incoming (POP3) email server". When I configured same email account on another machine it was working fine with outlook 2003 and 2002. What was surprising is, on this machine outlook express also not working.We have ISA 2000 installed on o...

OL 2002 Rules
Most posts I have found about the rules are very old, so I am hoping that someone has some updated useful info on this subject. I am running OL 02 SP3. I have only one rule. It says: Apply this rule after the message arrives through the 'A' account forward it to "B" The rule runs properly the first time Account A receives email after re-starting OL, but never runs again until OL is re-started. I cannot hardly believe that something so simple will not work. If anyone has any suggestions I will be eternally grateful to you. Thanks Tom P <google@accuspec.biz> wrote: ...

Excel file size limitation
I've got someone trying to work with a 400MB Excel spreadsheet using Office 2007. Excel keeps crashing when trying to modify and then save the file. Outlook goes into Not Responding mode. The file itself doesn't contain all that much data, however, it does contain many high-res images cropped to fit into a cell. The pictures have been compressed, however the file size doesn't change all that much. I was under the impression that the PC itself perhaps didn't have enough RAM memory. Tried working with the file from a PC having 4GB or RAM - same result. I...

How to Convert same horizontal row to vertical row in Excel?
Is there anyway to "Copy" a horizontal row in Excel and "Paste" it as a vertical column in Excel? Paste Special/ Transpose -- David Biddulph "Winnie" <Winnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5A6E4BC-BBAF-41E4-854F-EC657C096D04@microsoft.com... > Is there anyway to "Copy" a horizontal row in Excel > and "Paste" it as a vertical column in Excel? 1. In EXCEL 2007 in cells A 21 to E 21 I type:- a b c d e (one letter in each cell). 2. Highlight cells A 21 to E 21 inclusive. 3. Ctrl-C ...

Different labels on one page with Publisher 2002
Is there any way to have more than one designed label on a single page with Publisher 2002 ? . . . like with MS Word. I often want to print a sheet of labesl but not have them be identical to each other. Is it possible to print one sheet of labels in Publisher and not have them be the exact same ? Many thanks Sure, but you have to create the page manually, good templates here: http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=38 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DixieWins" <DixieWins@discussions.microsoft....

Scheduling for Group in Outlook 2002
Hello, I am a manager of a group of 5. Our group works a 4 day week with rotating schedules. Every month I use a spreadsheet to creat a work schedule. I am wondering if it is possible for me to set their calandar through Outlook. We are on an Exchange server so I have the ability to see their workday shedules. I would like to create a monthly schedule for the group and push it out through Outlook. Is this possible? Thanks in Advance Frank You have two Options: Setting a calendar in the Public Folder, or you creating a Sub Calendar under your calendar, which from there, you ca...

Outlook 2002 Not Ending
Frequently when I closed Outlook, I find that outlook.exe is still in the running process list. Any thoughts? ...

row number: specifying the group when using "over group"
I'm having a problem with row numbers in a report with three groupings. The exact subject matter is a bit arcane, so as an example I'll use taxi cabs. My question is simple: how do I get the desired result (listed third below)? In other words, how do I specify the group when asking for a running sum "Over Group"? (The hypothetical data assumes as fixed-width font.) Thank you, Alec -------------------- OVER ALL -------------------- Row | Day: Tuesday ------------ Driver: Alice ------------- Odometer Start | Odometer Stop ...

Counting text characters in a row
This problem is likely very simple however I'm new to speadsheets. I've created a spresdsheet to record attendace at work. in each row have an "H" or "S" to denote holiday or sickness respectively, agains each name. How do I count the number of "H's" in a row to tot up the number o days holiday taken. Sorry if this is very basic, but so is my spreadsheet knowledge. Ala -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi ;), Dargo wrote: > *This problem is likely very simple however I'm new to speadsheets. > I've created a spresdsheet...

Money 2002 fix????????
I saw a post saying it would be fixed on Tues. Then I saw a post that said it would be fixed on Wed. It is now 10:10 PM on Wed. EST. I do not see a fix. If anyone has any info on when, where, and if Microsoft will resolve the problem, it would be very much appreciated if you would post the info. Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, charlie wrote: >I saw a post saying it would be fixed on Tues. Then I saw >a post that said it would be fixed on Wed. It is now >10:10 PM on Wed. EST. I do not see a fix. If anyone has >any info on when, where, and if Microsoft will resolve >...