wrong number in cell

In XP PRO & Excel 2002  I have a cell formated as General and unlocked.  I
try to enter a number {  08607100  } I hit enter and it changes to {  8607100
}  no matter what I try it.   This is another example of a problem in a cell
I enter
{  03E2 }  hit enter and it changes to {  3.00E+02  }.  Is there some bug in
certain cells or with excel 2002 or is there some setting I am missing?
Help
--
Thanks
MK

pipco wrote:
> In XP PRO & Excel 2002  I have a cell formated as General and unlocked.  I
> try to enter a number {  08607100  } I hit enter and it changes to {  8607100
> }  no matter what I try it.   This is another example of a problem in a cell
> I enter
> {  03E2 }  hit enter and it changes to {  3.00E+02  }.  Is there some bug in
> certain cells or with excel 2002 or is there some setting I am missing?
> Help

OK, here we are talking formats. When entering 08 in a cell Excel will
interpret this as 8. If you would like it to be 08 you have to format
the cell with the custom numberformat 00 (or 00000000 in your case).

In the case of 03E2 this is the way excel expects to receive scientific
data numbers. If you want the cell to be the text 03E2 then just format
the cell as text.

These things are common for all Excel versions as long as I have done
Excel (since 4.3)
Format the cell as text before entering the "number" or precede the number
with a single quote. This will cause the entry to be treated as text too,
and will not show.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Kjartan Andersen" <kjartan.andersen@myhome.no> wrote in message
> pipco wrote:
>> In XP PRO & Excel 2002  I have a cell formated as General and unlocked.
>> I try to enter a number {  08607100  } I hit enter and it changes to {
>> 8607100 }  no matter what I try it.   This is another example of a
>> problem in a cell I enter {  03E2 }  hit enter and it changes to {
>> 3.00E+02  }.  Is there some bug in certain cells or with excel 2002 or is
>> there some setting I am missing?
>> Help
>
> OK, here we are talking formats. When entering 08 in a cell Excel will
> interpret this as 8. If you would like it to be 08 you have to format the
> cell with the custom numberformat 00 (or 00000000 in your case).
>
> In the case of 03E2 this is the way excel expects to receive scientific
> data numbers. If you want the cell to be the text 03E2 then just format
> the cell as text.
>
> These things are common for all Excel versions as long as I have done
> Excel (since 4.3)

0
nicolaus (2022)
1/26/2005 8:59:27 PM
 That worked!  I always thought  the General format made everthing text.  I
learned something new.
Thanks All.
"Niek Otten" wrote:

> Format the cell as text before entering the "number" or precede the number
> with a single quote. This will cause the entry to be treated as text too,
> and will not show.
>
> --
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Niek Otten
>
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "Kjartan Andersen" <kjartan.andersen@myhome.no> wrote in message
> > pipco wrote:
> >> In XP PRO & Excel 2002  I have a cell formated as General and unlocked.
> >> I try to enter a number {  08607100  } I hit enter and it changes to {
> >> 8607100 }  no matter what I try it.   This is another example of a
> >> problem in a cell I enter {  03E2 }  hit enter and it changes to {
> >> 3.00E+02  }.  Is there some bug in certain cells or with excel 2002 or is
> >> there some setting I am missing?
> >> Help
> >
> > OK, here we are talking formats. When entering 08 in a cell Excel will
> > interpret this as 8. If you would like it to be 08 you have to format the
> > cell with the custom numberformat 00 (or 00000000 in your case).
> >
> > In the case of 03E2 this is the way excel expects to receive scientific
> > data numbers. If you want the cell to be the text 03E2 then just format
> > the cell as text.
> >
> > These things are common for all Excel versions as long as I have done
> > Excel (since 4.3)

0
pipco (3)

wrong email address sends
How do I make Outlook send the correct email address and not a business account that I do not want going out with my messages I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly -- are you asking how to force Outlook to send messages through one account rather than another? If so, I need some more information from you before I can answer: What version of Outlook are you using, and if 98 or 2000, what mail support mode? If you're not sure, look at the second line of Help | About Microsoft Outlook -- it should say "Internet Mail Only" or "Corporate/Workgroup". ...

Best practices on number of attributes
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C89241.CA120FD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Are there limits and/or best practices on the number of attributes per = entity? I added 125 to the Opportunity entity and another 60 to the = Contact entity using Data Migration Manager to create the fields. After = processing for a couple of minutes, it blew up. I was using the CRM 4.0 = VPC image with 1.5GB of RAM allocated. Was that too little memory or = too many fields or just sunspots at the w...

Sequential Cell Numbering
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm trying to create an Excel spreadsheet with one column indicating sequential line numbers; 1, 2, 3, etc.. My goal is to have a formula where, for example, the 6th line down displays 6 by adding 1 to the line 5 above it. The reason is if there are 50 lines I don't have to number each one manually but the problem I'm encountering is if one line is deleted then all subsequent lines show &quot;#REF!&quot; error message. The formula I created is &quot;=IF(A5>0, A5+1, A4+1)&quot;, ...

Cell sizing
I have an .xls with 985 cells. Most of these are fine to view but ther are probably 200-300 that apparently the info has a large number o characters and a cell may appear 2-3" tall. I know that I can go i and resize each cell manually, but is there some way to do thi automatically? Thanks. Larr -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com this is gonna sound like a trivial answer, but if i understand yo correctly you can just highlight the numbers at the left side of th page (row numbers- click the 1st, hold shift, click the last) an either a. adjust any one to the size youre a...

Problems autofit rowheight with wrapped text (but no merged cells)
In several Excel templates I have cells with wrapped text (but no merged cells). In some workbooks the autofit function for the row heights works fine, but in others I miss half a line (or more). I tried several things to find out what causes the difference between the workbooks. � If I copy the whole worksheet in which autofit works fine to a new workbook, it goes wrong in the new one � As far as I can see all the Excel options in both workbooks are the same � The font size is 10.5 in all the workbooks. Changing it in 10 or 11 solves ...

How do I find the total number of the same number/letter in a row
I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate how many number 1s, 2s etc that I have without having to count manually. Also would like to do the same with letters. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. =COUNTIF(2:2,1) =COUNTIF(2:2,"A") -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Anne-Marie" <Anne-Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12225659-9167-438F-A8F4-A6B227F4A677@microsoft.com... > I am not trying to find the sum of numbers but want to evaluate how many > number 1s, 2s etc th...

French version of Excel
Our users in France get the below message when they open one of our Workbooks created in US version of Excel "impossible d'ajouter davantage de formats de nombre personnalises" Translation : "Impossible to add more format of personalized numbers" Note that this workbook is created in Office 97 SP-2 and populated by a VB 6.0 SP-5 applications on a Windows 2000 server Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is stopping our French users from using our Workbook Thanks, Sid Maybe.... It kind of sounds like you're getting hit with the fact that Excel h...

Emails shown with wrong date in overview-screen?
hello NG, i have the following problem: i have made a constellation of folders in witch i sort my incoming and outgoing mail to. now i have found the following phaenomenon: in one of these folders i see a bunch of mail (sent by myself) witch all seem to be sent on the same date, 15. december 2004. but in reality this is the wrong date, they have been sent over a long period reaching back even until 2001. if i doubleklick on the mail and view it the correct date is shown. only in the "overview-screen" where all the mails are listed, the date is shown wrong. what can i do about ...

What wrong with sumproduct function?
I would like to sum all numbers, which match following conditions, =SUMPRODUCT(($B$1816:$B$2400=$A2402),(C$1816:C$2400<0),(C$1816:C$2400)) press ctrl + shift + enter but it returns zero, and I have checked it, zero should not be the result. Does anyone have any suggestions what wrong with sumproduct function? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric 1. Sumproduct is not an array function. Use Enter, not Ctrl-Shift-Enter. 2. You must convert false/trues to numbers. One way: =SUMPRODUCT(($B$1816:$B$2400=$A2402)*(C$1816:C$2400<0)*(C$1816:C$2400)) Regards, Fred "E...

Renumber
What is the best practice to change a customer or vendor number? What about tracking all the historical records with it? I've used Sage MAS90 and they have a utility built in that will renumber or merge customers or vendors and all historical records. It appears that you will need to make a purchase to do this in GP. Microsoft sells the Professional Tools module/library or you can go to an outside vendor called Corporate Rennaisance who have been doing this much longer than GP support has. http://www.crgroup.com/ -- Lyle U ldbeach wrote: > What is the best practice to ch...

How to remove unwanted background coloring from line numbering
I have applied line numbering from File menu, page setup, Layout, Line numbering. On my computer the line numbering appears with a dark blue background behind each line number. The color prints. On another computer the same document appears correctly without the blue background on the numbers. It also prints correctly. I can find nothing about formatting the line numbers. This is Word 2003. There is a Line Number character style that could conceivably include text shading. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps....

Wrong Date/Wrong amount
In the Money 2004 check register it reports the last download date as well as the balance in the top left corner. The only problem is that it is totally wrong. It reports some bogus amount with a "downloaded" date of 10/9/2003. It is quite stubborn as nothing seems to affect it. Does anyone have any idea of how to correct this? Dirty Harry Harry Calahan wrote: > *In the Money 2004 check register it reports the last download dat > as > well as the balance in the top left corner. The only problem i > that > it is totally wrong. It reports some bogus amount wi...

Convert Number into Words
Is there any readymade function or utility in Excel or Word to write a number into words? e.g. show 1418 as : One Thousand Four Hundred Eighteen. "Sunil S Gawde (INDIA)" <sunilsgawde@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:037701c53bab$f2293380$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any readymade function or utility in Excel or > Word to write a number into words? > > e.g. show 1418 as : One Thousand Four Hundred Eighteen. > > Yes. http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages/T0351_Numbers_Spelled_Out.html /Fredrik On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:56:53 -0700, "Sunil S Gawde ...

Insert graph in cell
I am attempting to add a line graph to a single cell as an update of progress by per cent. Hi Evon, If I understand your post you want to use a tiny chart as a progress indicator, based on the content of a cell. This is possible although a bar chart may be better as this can run from a single value. A line chart would have to be an xy-scatter and this will require 4 values. [start and finish (x,y) values] Instructions for bar chart, select the cell containing the percent value. Create a clustered bar chart using the chart wizard. You will have to format the x-axis to have a min=0 an...

Change Number to a negative in VBA
Hi I currently have a range of numbers which need to be change from a positive into a negative however I am not aware of the cell reference as the rows can be more or less. Does anyone know how to change a range of numbers from a positive into a negative using VBA. I actually need the number to be negative not just the format. Thanks Noemi Noemi If numbers are in Activecell column.......... Sub test() Dim rcel As Range Dim Rng As Range Set Rng = Range(ActiveCell, Cells(Rows.Count, _ ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp)) For Each rcel In Rng If rcel.Value <> ""...

Help please
I screwed something up and need help big-time. Somehow the default position of the cursor when I start a new document - or Outlook mail message - is in the right center part of the page. In fact, if I even open a document, it's formatted with everything scrunched over to the right. I can backspace and get the cursor to the right and it's not a big problem on documents with simple formatting, but for some complex documents, simply backspacing makes the formatting even worse. HELP PLEASW. -- rpbilleaud For a start, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDo...

What's going wrong in Outlook 2003?
Hello, When I installed the new Office 2003, I had no problems with Outlook 2003. I received and send mails whenever I want. A few days later, I get a message from outlook that Outlook could not make a connection with the server of my provider to get my mail on my computerb (I didn't change any settings!). I checked all my settings and there are good (I checked the mailserversettings, ports, etc) but the result is still the same: Outlook cannot make a connection with the mailserver. After that, I called my provider to ask them what to do. They told me that I must remove all the ...

Matching number formats
I am using an INDEX/MATCH formula and do get a "VALUE NOT AVAILABLE" response. Both ranges have a "General" format. A [Copy][Paste Special][Formats] does not make the formats match. How can I make them respond to each other? On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:36:09 -0700, "raystub" <raystub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using an INDEX/MATCH formula and do get a "VALUE NOT AVAILABLE" >response. Both ranges have a "General" format. A [Copy][Paste >Special][Formats] does not make the formats match. How can I make them >resp...

Duplicate cells #4
I have an excel spreadsheet of approximately 1500 Names,addressses etc. there are many duplicate cells of which I want to delete the duplicates and I am looking for the best way to accomplish this. I am new to excel and using formulas but if there is a way to use color to point out the duplicates, that would be very helpfull, thanks You could try to use Advanced Filter to get rid of the duplicates. Ensure that you have headers in row 1 (Name, Address_1, Address_2 etc) and highlight all the data including the headers. Then click Data | Filter | Advanced Filter and in the pop up click Un...

Case numbering 01-26-04
I have found the auto numbering in 1.2, but it only lets me change the prefix for the cases "CAS". I need to start my numbering at 3500 instead of 1000. Is there a way to change the starting number? Thanks, Stefanie ...

wrong number in cell
In XP PRO & Excel 2002 I have a cell formated as General and unlocked. I try to enter a number { 08607100 } I hit enter and it changes to { 8607100 } no matter what I try it. This is another example of a problem in a cell I enter { 03E2 } hit enter and it changes to { 3.00E+02 }. Is there some bug in certain cells or with excel 2002 or is there some setting I am missing? Help -- Thanks MK pipco wrote: > In XP PRO & Excel 2002 I have a cell formated as General and unlocked. I > try to enter a number { 08607100 } I hit enter and it changes to { 8607100 &g...

Automatic Numbering Rows
Hi all... Can't find how do to this using Excel 2003... I want to be able to have Excel automatically number rows (in the first column) that have text on them...but skip numbering rows without...and adjust the numbering if new rows get added in later. (I guess something similar to Bullets and Numbering in Word). Here's an example of what I want if I'm not making myself clear... 1. Text Here 2. Text Here 3. Text Here (Empty row...no text) 4. Text Here 5. Text Here (Empty row...no text) 6. Text Here etc.. Then...let's say...at a later date...I inserted a new row under...

Copy row2 cells down to last cell where the whole row isn't all blank
Hi Colo, I tried to run your code to copy formula in cell K2 (I place the cursor on cell K2) down to last cell in column K, it doesn't copy down the formula. Is there anything missing from the code ? Please help and thanks very much! Sub Cell2CopyToEnd() Dim col As Long col = ActiveCell.column Range(Cells(2, col), Cells(Rows.Count, col).End(xlUp)).Formula = _ Cells(2, col).Formula End Sub --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I put a value in K99 (so the macro knew when to quit) and I put a formula in K2. With K2 selected, I ran the code and it worked fine. The co...

numbering multilevel list word 2007
trying to use a multilevel number list and when I hit ENTER (return) the numbering stops (the icon for numbering become un-highlighted) If this is numbering attached to headings, note that, by default, the Normal style will be applied to text when you press Enter (at the end of a heading). You can change the "Style for following paragraph" in the style definition for the relevant heading(s). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "dheuermann" <dheuermann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEF7E0F7-76A1-4B55-98B3-981E303C7A68@microsoft.co...

formattting numbers
I am trying to format text in a textbox so it is in 3 columns (I'm using a fixed width font so it will align correctly). The 3rd column is a number. I would like it to be decimal point aligned (with possibly 1 leading zero - not 2 or 3 leading zeros). So I would like the output to be: AAAAA BBBBBBB 123.45 AAA BBBBB 0.11 AAAAA BBBBBBB 3.20 The code below aligns correctly but gives me 2 extra leading zeros. I basically want this output but have the 2 leading digits replaced with a space if no digit is present. Text1.SelText = " &quo...