writeback to SQL 2005

hello! I use excel 2007
iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my
workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some
cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible?
0
cj (142)
4/1/2008 12:10:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data
connection you've already established.

Ross

"CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello! I use excel 2007
> iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my
> workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in
> some
> cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible?

0
rculver1 (16)
4/1/2008 4:22:42 PM
Why does not microsoft have such in excel?

Several 3 part has it like :

http://www.excel-db.net/sql_server.htm
and
http://pcwin.com/Business___Finance/Excel_MS_SQL_Server_Import__Export___Convert_Software/index.htm

"Ross Culver" wrote:

> It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data
> connection you've already established.
>
> Ross
>
> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hello! I use excel 2007
> > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my
> > workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in
> > some
> > cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible?

0
cj (142)

writeback to SQL 2005
hello! I use excel 2007 iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible? It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data connection you've already established. Ross "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54EC521-0DD5-4B3D-971B-4FF3394D6FA8@microsoft.com... > hello! I use excel 2007 > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table...

Payees in 2005 Business
When you change account or address information is another Payee created in Money? My gas company is listed under Payees and I have auto bill pay setup for them. However when I look up what has been paid to that payee it only goes back to March of this year! When I look up the category it goes back much further, so when I looked up the Payee for before March, the same Payee showed up but some information is different (and not greyed out like for my recurring bill). BTW... this is affecting Budgets as well when I look at my budget history. :) Graham ...

2005 Update failed
Hello, I have the 2005 Money trial version, I downloaded the update, but it failed to install. I cannot open Money with my current money.mny file, only a newly created one. The error is: A communication error occured. Please try your call again. If you cantinue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services Customer Support. Thanks for the help Frank In microsoft.public.money, Frank wrote: > > >I have the 2005 Money trial version, I downloaded the update, but it failed >to install. I cannot open Money with my current money.mny file, only a ne...

PostgreSQL or other SQL servers in RMS
Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 for large databases? David "dh" <dh@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1783A90D-AF3E-4D91-A445-0039D4E7E379@microsoft.com... > Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? > Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 > for > large databases? RMS has implemented only for MS SQL Server (2000/MSDE) and isn't possible to work with ano...

Money 2005: "Spending by Category" says "No data to display"?
Hi all, On the Home tab under "Spending by Category" I see: 8/30/04 through 9/28/04 No data to display Well, I do have spending during that time frame. I imagine that the "Spending by Category" thingy is looking in the wrong account(s) and needs to be reconfigured. But I can't for the life of me figure out how -- when I right click it there's no "Customize" option or similar. Any ideas on how to fix this? P.S. I'm able to get data if I click the Reports tab and then "Spending by Category". It's only the "Spendi...

sql.request #2
Does anyone have a comprehensible guide on how to use it that a dolt like me can follow? Every time I try I get a #N/A. The only guide I can find is at http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/UsingSqlRequest.zip but it's really hard to follow. From the MSDN Library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/office97/html/SEC41.asp Not sure how familiar you are with ODBC; but if you are getting #N/A as a result, it is usually because of problems either with the SQL syntax or the connection string. There are a few examples of connection strings in the re...

MSDE or SQL Personal or SQL Developer? or SQL Workstation?
Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal? SQL Developer? SQL Workstation? Thank you. It depends on what edition of GP you are going to run. If you are going to use Professional, you need to go with SQL Server developer, assuming you are installing on a non-server OS. "ano" wrote: > Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal? > SQL Developer? SQL Workstation? > Thank you. Is the function of SQL Developer the same as Enterprise edition? How about personal edition? Can it be used for GP Pro? Can dev...

Excel RoundUp in Transact-SQL
Last week I posted the following computation in Excel... roundup(roundup(rate * 500),4) - roundup(rate * 200,4) + polfee,2) ((6.108934 * (500000/1000)) - (200 * 6.108934) + 1311.51) = 3144.20 In SQL using round(num,4) = 3144.19 I've moded this to... round(num+0.0005,4) = 3144.20 This works most of the time but occasionally I'm still off from what Excel returns. I'm under 2% in my 342 calcs, so it's do-able and we'll explain if any client notes this that we've reduced their pmt by .01 cents. BUT, I'd still like a way to replicate Excel'...

SQL help needed please
greetings gurus I am having trouble with the syntax of a query I'm trying to write. Here is the situation, simpified to its essence: C:/DB/A.mdb has tblNames with relevant fields CustID, CustName, CustEMail. C:/DB/B.mdb has the same table and fields. C:/DB/C.mdb also has the same table and fields. Many of the names appear in 2 or 3 of the databases, but most names appear in only one of the three databases. Here's what I am trying to do (so far without success)... I want the values of CustID, CustName, CustEMail that are in A.mdb UNION the values of CustID, Cus...

how to transfer a T-SQL query to a semantec query and create the M
How to transfer lots of T-SQL input from users or files to a semantec query used in Reporting Service of SQL Server 2005 and create the MSDL file accordingly? ...

SQL Quary Analyzer connection to SQL Server 2008
Hi, I'm using SQL Quary Analyzer on my Win XP machine. Now I would like to connect to the new SQL Server 2008 from my Win Xp's SQL Quary Analyzer, somehow it's not working. Thanks for help. Jason On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:45:35 +0800, "Jason Huang" <JasonHuang8888@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I'm using SQL Quary Analyzer on my Win XP machine. >Now I would like to connect to the new SQL Server 2008 from my Win Xp's SQL >Quary Analyzer, somehow it's not working. >Thanks for help. > > >Jason > Hi...

Setting Up a offline Database with SQL Express
I need to setup a offline database with RMS 1.3 and I was told I need to install SQL Express to do this. Can anoyone give me some directions for this. I was also told when I install SQL I would have to tweek it but was not told what the to do can anyone help me out here? Hi Dakor, The RMS 1.3 comes with MSDE version of sql so I am not sure why you are going on SQL express anyhow if you haven't installed the MSDE then you can just install the SQL Express edition. you will find the instance and all services in Service Manager. Then go to your SO Administrator program and login to dat...

Excel Pivottable Writeback
Hi Microsoft has a sample of writing data in a pivottable to an olapcube. Extending Excel OLAP Functionality Performing "What If?" Analysis with PivotTable Data http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140054%28office.10%29.aspx Any one know how to do this from scratch. Following this sample but in a new excel workbook and you only end up with a pivottable saying you cant edit. So even though this actually works I cant find a property EnableWriteback or ReadOnly so that I can reproduce it on an another cube Anyone one? /Magnus ...

Filtering Low Cardinality Columns on SQL 2005
I have a view which is a 5 table join. One of those tables is 1.5million rows. When doing select on this view, the conditions are as follows: 1. compare if equal a column to a literal, with 2 distinct values, 2. compare if equal column to a literal, with 5 distinct values, 3. compare if equal column to a literal, with329 distinct values, 4. compare if less than date column to literal, with 1.2 distinct values All of the above columns are from the large table, mentioned above. This table has a compound primary key. Looking at explain plan, an index scan is being performed ...

newbe: one vb project for sql server and sql server CE
Hello everybody, is it possible to develope a project where I can switch between sql server db and sql server CE? If yes, is there any sample / ressources in internet? If not, ist there any tool to "convert" a sql server vb project to the sql server CE project? Thanks Hans The short answer is yes. Make sure you develop for the CE version as the SQL express or higher versions allow more options such as "stored procedures"... Create 2 projects... First one, add a new sqldatasource, and select the datafile to be a compact edition.. second project, ...

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

money 2005
Just a recommendation to all potential money 2005 purchasers...don't do it! Look around the message boards and you'll see countless examples of the program ruining peoples data; unfortunately, I'm one of those people to. Ever since i installed the program it has been updating my information on MSN Money as well. Everything was fine until I wanted to stop doing this and use Money 2005 independently of the web service. When I tried to erase the data from MSN server I couldn't. Then, when Money 2005 opens up my file it connects to the server and all hell breaks lose. My...

kb971117 report viewer redistributable 2005
I am having a problem getting this update installed. Have a 2003 Server Enterprise edition sp2. This guy became available a couple of weeks ago I believe. When it installs it prompts me for a location by saying this: Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2005 The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK or enter an alternative path to the folder containing the installation package ReportViewer.msi. So I do a search for this file and it is located in C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft Report Viewer Red...

sql summarizing help

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...