Write from one file to a specific line of another

I need to make Excel read a value from a specific cell (A3 for
instance) in a specific file (Input file), read a group of cells on
that file (for instance D5:G5) and write them in a specific row (that
corresponds to the value in cell A3) on a different file (Database).

It would be really helpfull if somebody could give me some help on
that.

Thanks in advance
0
savgeo (1)
7/7/2004 10:59:37 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Savvo,

Would you want to overwrite the values that are already there, or would you
want to insert a blank row? Is the value in A3 a row number? Where to you
want D5:G5 to go? D to G of Database?

Or would you rather that the numbers just get pasted to the bottom of the
list?

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Savvo" <savgeo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I need to make Excel read a value from a specific cell (A3 for
> instance) in a specific file (Input file), read a group of cells on
> that file (for instance D5:G5) and write them in a specific row (that
> corresponds to the value in cell A3) on a different file (Database).
>
> It would be really helpfull if somebody could give me some help on
> that.
>

> Thanks in advance

0
Bernie

How do I add an indicator line to a Gantt chart in excel?
I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I would like to indicate a specific date - most of the time today's date - by a vertical line showing how many days have passed and how many yet to go for specific tasks. I have attempted to create an 'XY graph' on top of the bar/Gantt chart, but the two do not seem to be compatible. Hi, See my examples of various ways of adding a datum line to a chart. I'm pretty sure one of the techniques should work for you. http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Steve wrote: > I have created a Gantt chart in Excel. I...

Problem with my .rc file??
Hi, I use a new picture control ID : IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW Type : Rectangle Color : White In the ressource view. When a run the program, the Rectangle is Black! How i can change that to white? In the ressource view, the Rectangle is white. In the .rc i have CONTROL "",IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW,"Static",SS_WHITERECT,139,28,162,190 The other reference i have in my program of this IDC is : in the *dlg.cpp void CTestDlg::DoDataExchange(CDataExchange* pDX) { CDialog::DoDataExchange(pDX); //{{AFX_DATA_MAP(CTestDlg) ----------> DDX_Control(pDX, IDC_DRAWINGWINDOW, m_DrawingWind...

Looping through files
Hi, I am trying to loop through a directory of (.txt) files. What I would like to do is append the last 4 days (from today's date) worth of files into one file, and save that file for later processing. Does anyone know or have the logic that I need to process these files? Cheers, GT Use Dir to loop through the files in a folder. Here's a very simple example of appending them to an array: http://allenbrowne.com/func-02.html Use FileDateTime() to test if they are in the last 4 days; presumably you don't add the old ones to your array. I think you want to write the file ...

Totals in one cell
What would be the formula if possible for this setup I'm trying to use? Cell A Cell B 2 67 When I input 2 in cell A, I want cell B to change to 69. I know how to do that but the problem I'm running into is when I come back the following month, and put lets say 6 in cell A, I want add 6 to the already 69 to make 75. So, another words almost like a running balance but within cell b. So, another words, I want to add cell a to cell b to create a new total, then take that new total the next month and add cell a to create a new total but within cell ...

Is there a way for Windows Service to Read/Write HKCU Reg key ?
Hi: I'm writing a Windows Service program which needs to read/write the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key for the current logged on user. I know that for a Windows service does not have concept of HKCU since it is always running in SYSTEM's context. But is there a way (trick?) for a service to access the HKCU registry key? Thanks In Advance ! Polaris Hello Try, from a user application (the one that is logged on, or the current user), to send the services the user's SID. Then access the HKCU through HKEY_USERS\users_sid\............ Hope that helps, Elias "Polaris&qu...

Macro Help- combining "CS" files
Below is the macro I have to go to a certain file and combine all spreadsheets. I did not write this macro myself. I just received it and modified it to work for my situation. When this maco is run it gets to the first file and says I cannot change a read only file and says I must unprotect the worksheet. This sheet is not protected but I really only want to copy the info on it anyway. Is there a way to modify this macro to copy the information. I could save all of the "CS" files as new files but that would defeat the purpose of automating this job Any help is greatly a...

Import data from DBF files
What's the best way to import a large dbf file into Access (records from a DBase file)? I have one dbf that has over 220,000 records in it. It gets to about 75% and says "The search key was not found in any record." Everything is patched to the max (Windows, Office, Jet, etc). This doesn't happen with any other dbf file, but they are all smaller. Also, oddly, I can copy and paste 50,000 records in a shot and paste them through a query, but I don't want to keep doing that for every large dbf I have. The Access tables have no problem holding the data, just transf...

Write
I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested to use the Write mode to do this. What is Write, and how do I access it? Are you using voice recognition? Margins are simply changed in the Arrange Menu in Publisher. Are you in the right newsgroup? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CBC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:183bb01c44a40$107bd5d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested > to use the Write mode to do this. W...

"File not found" and "The form name is misspelled..." errors
I am still bulding a database. It contains no data, and contains no embedded macros. Yet, when I go to build code, I get these errors: "File not found" followed by "The form name * is misspelled or refers to a form the doesn't exist" The problem does not lie in the form that automatically opens when the database opens, and there are no embedded macros (I've read that these are the two main places an error such as this can occur). I did a search in the code box, and do find the two subforms listed even though neither contains any kind of code. I ca...

pst files and VPN issues
I'm looking for suggestions on how to configure .pst files for remote users who access a network using VPN. Due to the large size of these files (often over a gigabyte), Outlook's performance is seriously affected and often freezes during the archive process. What are your company's polices for remote users accessing .pst files and is there a way short of saving them locally to access them without affecting Outlook's performance? If the .pst has to be stored and backed up locally, does anyone have security advice for protecting .pst files with sensitive material? Encrypted f...

How do I create a new XLA Add-In from an old one?
I created an XLA add-in called say myStuff.XLA. I wanted to use most of the myStuff modules, and ThisWorkBook code in a new xla add-in. I copied myStuff.xla to myNewStuff.xla. I clicked on Tools->Add-Ins->Browse and clicked on the myNewStuff.xla. The Add-Ins available Box showed the old name myStuff.xla. I brought up myNewStuff.xla in the Excel Visual Basic page and changed the name in the Project Properties window to myNewStuff. I changed the Form to a new Form name and changed the form label and text boxes to accommodate the new project. Everything compiled ok and was saved. I u...

Exporting data to txt/csv file
Hi: I am trying to export the data to a txt/csv (comma separated) file. Some of the fields has 0.03 or decimal numbers but its' truncating those values while exporting it. While exporting, it doesn't give me any option to specify field data types. I am using Access 2003. By default its using Windows Europian format. Please let me know how to export same values. 2) How to see/modify the import/export specification file that saved ?. -- Regards Ramesh V ...

Writing formula for excel worksheet
Item Rate1 Rate2 Rate3 A 3 4 6 B 8 5 23 C 56 5 78 Above is my excel sheet. I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3) for Item B - Rate2(5) For Item C - Rate2 (5) There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to evaluate. Then select this range and click format - conditional format - cell value - is equal to =($L$1) and apply your bold font. The lowest value in the range will then become bold. Mike "Gaur...

How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file?
Hi, How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file? I am working on Windows 2000. Hoping to get a reply soon. TIA. regards, Jahfer V P. No particular way I know of. If you have certain privileges you might be able to use DeviceIoControl(), but there isn't much you can do with this information. joe On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:33:02 -0700, "Jahfer V P" <JahferVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >How to get the sectors/clusters of a particular file? >I am working on Windows 2000. > >Hoping to get a reply soon. >TIA. > >regards, &g...

XSLT: Creating anchors from outer XML files
Hi, I'm trying to put the links (href attribute of the <a> element) out of my XSLT files, in a XML file, and read it from the stylesheet. I suppose that I have to use the document() function to link to the XML file containing the URLs, but I don't know how to do it. I've tried something like this: This is XML file containing the URLs (link.xml): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <LINKS> <L1> /SomePage.aspx </L1> </LINKS> And this is the code from the stylesheet: <a href="{document('link.xml')/L...

write protect/write redirect/kios mode
Hey, I LOVE snapshots in virtualmachines and think it would be awesome to have something like this for my main windows install. Anyone know of any hardware/software to redirect writes to another drive/file/memory/hardware? Or hardware to write protect a drive for kios's (i found some once befor the reverted all changes on shutdown, but cant find it anymore ><) I know VSS(virtual shadow copy service) has a function to redirect on write and wondering if i might be able to use that :/ It will just make everything cleaner, and give alot of flexiblity to setting up ...

How to replace two system files?
I have an XP machine. Have just replaced a couple files from a W7 machine. The files are:- c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys ....and now I can't boot the XP machine. How to get back to before I replaced the files? Thanks. "John Smith" <JohnSmith@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uLL8mqL0KHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I have an XP machine. Have just replaced a couple files from a W7 machine. > The files are:- > c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys > c:\windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys > ....

populating a combo box based on another
I have a Table called tblFleet, with the fields "Domicile" "Vehicle" and among others, What I am been trying to do is create a form withn 2 drop boxes, The First Drop Box must contain the Unique Values of "Domicile" after choosing the correct "Domicile" I need tp populate the second drop down box with the "Vehicles" assigned to that particular "Domicile", I guess I bit off more then I can chew with this one, I am trying to create an On Line Out Of Service Work Order Generator for our Fleet. Most of it is done, just having problem with...

Cannot open .msg files saved from Outlook to network share
Some of my users have dragged and dropped emails into their network shares creating .msg files. When they try to open some of the files they get the following popup: 'The messaging interface has generated an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.' This only happens for some of the saved emails. They are using Outlook 2000 from Office. God only knows why they did this and didn't use autoarchive! How many training sessions does someone have to do?! Anyway, anyone know how I can open them or even better, why I cant? Regards Dave ...

Cannot write to memory location
I can not (all of the sudden) run Publisher in the last week. When starting to run it, I get that it cannot write to a certain memory locaiton, so it is shutting down. I need to get this program working. I have read through this forum and tried the different fixes as well as the knowledge base (emptied the temp file, disabled anti-virus, etc.) but it still won't work. An example is: "The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". the memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program." The header read...

Another Filtering Question
Hello, I'm trying to expand on a filter that I previously created. My filter is created from a combo box where the user would select a fieldname and then a corresponding value combo box would show those items - that works great if all the fields are from the same table ie this works great Me.cboVal1.Rowsource = "Select distinct [" _ & Me.cboCrit1 & "]" _ & "From tblevents" - I'm my case the fields are in different tables. so I'm trying to dynamically build the after update for the row source by: Dim strfield1 as string Dim str...

deleting temp web files
When I delete the temporary internet files with the Iexplorer menu of Tools->InternetOptions->General->DeleteFiles Does this delete said files only for the current User account logged on? Or does it delete said files for all user accts on machine ? Just the current user I think. neil "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in message news:#FNlBGX3KHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > When I delete the temporary internet files with the Iexplorer menu of > Tools->InternetOptions->General->DeleteFiles > Does this delete said files only for the current...

Another suggestion, please
Hello, I have a spreadsheet of addresses. Following previous assistance in this group, the sheet is sorted perfectly......nearly. The addresses are numerically sorted - 1 Anystreet, 2 Anystreet, 3 Anystreet etc. The house numbers are in separate cells from the road name. What I would like to do is apply some conditional formatting - I would like to embolden an entire row, should the house number be an even number. Alternatively, if it's possible to sort all the odds together, and all the evens together, I can apply the formatting manually. What would be the formula that would return t...

how do i write checkbox to.....
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050607000103070200020407 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit how do i write checkbox1 boolean to xml in vb6 i can only do cstr( checkbox1.value) but in vb.net can't write to xml. i am doing irc chat similar to mirc or pirch chat. rw.WriteConfigInfo("User Modes", chkInvisible.Text, chkInvisible.Checked, "PirateChat.xml") in procedure events: ' Both the Key and the Value are filled ' Find the key ...

opening Publisher 2003 files in 2007
Previously to installing the update to the Beta I was able to open the files. Now I can't open them. Help. -- MC How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "MC" <MC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24D0839E-39A2-46E2-8BE5-20424BEEB284@microsoft.com... > Previously to installing the update to the Beta I was able ...