Wrapping Text in Excel

I have tried the following techniques to wrap text in excel. I have
followed them exactly as shown and in that order. The process works
fine in a workbook. When I move to another workbook the Wrap text style
is gone from the Style box. How can I make it stay permanently for all
workbooks?

Adding a Shortcut to Excel for Wrapping Text

Step 1: Adding the Style Box to the Formatting Toolbar:
1. Right-click one of the toolbars, and select Customize.
2. Select the Commands tab, and then select Format.
3. Drag the Style icon from the Customize dialog box to the Formatting
toolbar, and drop it next to the Font Size box (or anywhere else you
choose).
4. Click Close.

Step 2: Adding Wrapped Text to the Style Box:

1. Enter text into a cell in the sheet, and press Ctrl+1.
2. Select the Alignment tab, select the Wrap text checkbox, and click
OK.
3. In the Style box, enter the text WrapText.
4. To use the Wrap text shortcut, select a cell, and then select Wrap
text from the Style box.

--
trainer2000

trainer2000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30367
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500202

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you use the existing workbook as the basis for the new workbook, then the
style will come with it.

But styles live in workbooks.  You can create a template (book.xlt in your
XLStart folder) that contains this style.  Then all new workbooks created by
clicking on the New icon will inherit this style.

But if you have an existing workbook without the style, you can open a workbook
with that style and merge them.

Format|style|Merge

trainer2000 wrote:

> I have tried the following techniques to wrap text in excel. I have
> followed them exactly as shown and in that order. The process works
> fine in a workbook. When I move to another workbook the Wrap text style
> is gone from the Style box. How can I make it stay permanently for all
> workbooks?
>
> Adding a Shortcut to Excel for Wrapping Text
>
> Step 1: Adding the Style Box to the Formatting Toolbar:
> 1. Right-click one of the toolbars, and select Customize.
> 2. Select the Commands tab, and then select Format.
> 3. Drag the Style icon from the Customize dialog box to the Formatting
> toolbar, and drop it next to the Font Size box (or anywhere else you
> choose).
> 4. Click Close.
>
> Step 2: Adding Wrapped Text to the Style Box:
>
> 1. Enter text into a cell in the sheet, and press Ctrl+1.
> 2. Select the Alignment tab, select the Wrap text checkbox, and click
> OK.
> 3. In the Style box, enter the text WrapText.
> 4. To use the Wrap text shortcut, select a cell, and then select Wrap
> text from the Style box.
>
> --
> trainer2000

> trainer2000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30367
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500202

--

Dave Peterson
0

Formula with text
We do fixed assets on excel spreadsheet. Each worksheet is an new month. Formula is =K47*$M$2. The M represents the current month (7) and this number is entered on Row 2 M. We acquired the new asset in February and we only want to depreciate it for six months. This formula no longer works if we enter the current month of (7) in M. Can you help me? DD, What does the K47*M2 represent with respect to the fixed assets or what is K47? When you say you only wish to depreciate the new asset for 6 months, is that its entire useful life or are you taking a 1/2 year convention where 1/2 of...

Help with Excel 2007 Interface programming
I need to do 2 things... 1) Capture data input into a cell prior to hitting Enter. 2) Create a box under the cursor (like when you start typing a formula into a cell and Excel displays the resulting possibilities). If you can opoint me in the right direction, I can figure it out from there. THANKS! Sounds like you are after a WorkSheet_Change event for the first question? This will fire after data was entered but can tell you what was entered. For the second question, depending what you want to show, you may be able to use a Data Validation input message or a popup menu. But...

opening files with Excel 7.0
My version of Excel is ancient - it came with my Windows 95-loaded machine, ages ago. I hope to use it for the rare email attachment that comes my way, using Windows XP. I have received a .xls file via email, that my old Excel will not open, although the help file says it will. Any suggestions how to open the attachment? Thanks, Susan Excel 97 and later use a different file format by default than Excel 95 can read. You could ask the sender to save the file in Excel 95 format but that's extra hassle for them. Beside upgrading your Excel you might see if the Excel Viewer all you n...

Text wrapping difficulity
I am attempting to wrap text around a graphic, an oval. On the "outside" of the oval is a picture that ends on the ovals left hand side. I want the text to follow the "inside" (or right hand side) of the oval. I have edited the text boxes' wrap points, that did nothing. I have grouped the three objects (picture, graphic & text box) and brought the graphic to the front. That didn't work. The text always runs through (on top of) the graphic and the picture, or goes away completely. Is there a solution? Thanks. Text will never wrap inside the oval....

Excel 97 = v?
I have a really dumb question...what is the version number of excel in office 97? 8 http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/ -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "junie" <ihildebrandt@mednet.ucla.edu> wrote in message news:03d801c38d04$235e3cf0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a ...

Displaying durations in Excel
I have a worksheet which calculates a duration in hours...is there a built-in number formatter that could display that as h:mm:ss? How would I create a formatter to do that if there isn't? All the built-in "time" formatters seem to be stuck on telling the time of day. Try Custom format: [hh]:mm:ss Regards Trevor "Verbatim" <Verbatim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC52174C-7CE7-464A-BE78-D471AF0336AA@microsoft.com... >I have a worksheet which calculates a duration in hours...is there a >built-in > number formatter that could di...

remove the text preview in a slide text box
My slide has a text box and the bullits are grayed out until I select them in my presentation. How can I remove the grayed out preview? That is just a placeholder until you put text into it. It does not show up until your in the slide presentation mode. If you want a blank slide without a place holder you need to select new slide and select the blank option. -- Michael Koerner MS MVP - PowerPoint "Ken V" <Ken V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F33DE7C8-4082-44A4-8499-91094BBA7FCC@microsoft.com... My slide has a text box and the bullits ar...

Calculating text boxes
I'm running a report on how to split up the fee for a band. Because all members of the band aren't equal (eg road crew work on a fixed fee) I have a code allocated to each member. Members Crew Agent In my query I have calculated a subtotal after the fixed fees are taken out and I now want to divide the remainder up amongst the Members equally. In my report I now have a field [FeeSubtotal] and a calculating text box called Text 27 with the control source =-Sum([Code]="Member") As an example, when I run the report the field show FeeSubtotal $5170 and the Text box showing ...

Cells with same text but excel think it's different?
I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement and the result is showing the 2 cells are different. I checked format, space and even '. can someone please help? thanks. Do you have an 0 instead of a O? (Number zero, letter O) -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84F83A62-88D7-4292-9B2E-B8F34B737B48@mic...

Wrapping Text to next cell?
Is it possible to get text that overfills a cell to wrap to the nex cell below it? thanks Bria -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi no, but you can make it wrap in the SAME cell (Format - Cells - alignment' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "bdunk >" <<bdunk.19rdkw@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bdunk.19rdkw@excelforum-nospam.com... > Is it possible to get text that overfills a cell to wrap to the next > cell below it? > > thanks Brian > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

required excel formulas
Cat Article no impresion of 01 801-1110 - 02 801-1111 - 01 801-4111 + 03 801-5222 + 04 801-4666 01 801-7485 - i want to count - ,+,blank according to cat.Pls help me with formulas try this. UNtested =sumproduct((a2:a22="01")*(c2:c22="+)) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Santosh" <Santosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0237040-347F-438A-8CD9-7C31B61D6D8F@microsoft.com... > Cat Article no impresion ...

Excel Question....Help !!!!
how do i save multiple versions of a document in microsoft excel? (Because in word you can save multiple versions of a document rather than saving multiple files of the document.) Thanks! Excel does not have that built in Regards, Peo Sjoblom "matt guy" wrote: > how do i save multiple versions of a document in microsoft excel? (Because in > word you can save multiple versions of a document rather than saving multiple > files of the document.) > > Thanks! ...

Funky text justification
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040208070607020604080801 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Publisher 2007. Every so often, when I have a paragraph set to full justification, the first few lines will be fine, and the next one will be spread out like this for no reason and then the next line will be fine. Sometimes I can fool with it and fix it, especially if the fu...

Wrap to Window
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) In draft view, I'd like the text to wrap to the window size rather than the document's margins. Is this feature part of Word for Mac? It's easily done in the PC version. Thanks, Robin Hi Robin - Word> Preferences> View - check the box for Wrap text to window. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/12/08 10:20 AM, in article ee98414.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Robin@officeformac.com" <Robin@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > &g...

Excel 2003 #6
My wife and I keep a copy of our inventory on each of our computers. My problem is we have both entered data on our own computers. Can we merge the two files and not loose any data? And how would we go about it. Welcome! Without seeing your setup, I'd imagine copying one wb and opening it (renamed) on the other PC, then append all of the data to the other one. If you have a master record identifier you can sort on, you can then delete duplicates or seach the MSKB for a "delete duplicates" code snippet. If you have a home network I'd suggest setting up the master as a s...

word wrap in publisher
I am wanting to know if there is a way to reset the default word wrap values in publisher. I have everything else set so that I don't have to open the 'format text box' box every time to set this. I am writing newsletters and need to do this quickly at least 20 times an hour. HELP!!! mewithad <mewithad@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am wanting to know if there is a way to reset the default word wrap > values in publisher. I have everything else set so that I don't have > to open the 'format text box' box every time to...

Excel links #6
I have a word document that I have a link to an excel worksheet with. I need to know how to make the Excel worksheet fit on the correct page width for a word doc. In Excel it fits on one page width. But when I link it, it doesn't fit the width. This is due for a client today I need help. Hi, Can't you select it and drag to resize?? jr >-----Original Message----- >I have a word document that I have a link to an excel >worksheet with. I need to know how to make the Excel >worksheet fit on the correct page width for a word doc. > >In Excel it fits on one p...

Add Text Field Columns
PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? -- On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:38:49 -0600, bw wrote: > PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) > > I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a > concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? How does one add "This is text." + "this is also text&qu...

META in excel publishing
I'm creating XML documents to publish online through excel's feature, but I want to add a meta tag so it auto refreshes every couple of minutes. Is there a way to make sure Excel adds extra code to its file everytime it publishes it? Rather than refreshing, you can link your website directly to the excelworksheet. However, you will have to have the computer on all the time. Best to have a second computer that has the link so you can do other stuff, eg play games, ion the first comp[uter. The second computer does not need to be more than a Pentium 2 because it is only a link. I...

Bold some text within a text box
I have a text box hosting a memo field. I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within the text box. I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to do it? Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control, what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text will automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to consider? -- Len ______________________________________________________ remove nothing for valid email address. It is possible only in Access 2007. In table ...

A macro for deleting lines of text
Hi I need to delete all lines except those containing the Text NMI, FromDate>, To Date> Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong with this Macro when I run it, it deletes all lines? Public Sub DeleteNonSpecific Rows() Dim rCell As Range Dim rDelete As Range For Each rCell In Range("A1:A" & _ Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row) With rCell If Not (Text) = " FromDate>" Or _ (Text) = " ToDate>" Or _ ...

How can I hide a column in excel?
How can I hide a column in Excel that others I send the sheet or workbook to cannot unhide, but can still add/modify other information in a sheet or workbook? You can lock the cells in that column (select the column|format|cells|protection tab|checked Locked) Unlock the other cells Hide that column protect the sheet (tools|protection|protect sheet) But xl's worksheet protection isn't made for this. It can be broken really quickly. If you have stuff that others shouldn't see, don't put it in a workbook that you share with others. tjenkgrp wrote: > > How can I hide ...

Wrap not wrapping
I go FORMAT, click CELLS, click NUMBER, click TEXT, click WRAP TEXT as I usually do but for some reason it does not wrap. Anyone have a clue? Maybe I need to turn the machine off and let it recharge... Ralphael, the OLD one Ralpael Format>Cells>Alignment tab. Wrap text is on this Tab. Checkmark it a couple of times to set and reset it. Then make sure the row is formatted to "Autofit". If you are dealing with "merged" cells, this presents a whole 'nother problem as autofit does not work with merged cells unless you use code. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On 28 ...

excel dates 03-25-10
how do i change #(1-365) to the corresponding date in excel? It depends on what result you want. If the number is 1, what date do you want? 1/1/2010? With your number in a1, try the following: =date(2010,1,a1) If that doesn't do what you want, post back with what you want to achieve. Regards, Fred "king2385" <king2385@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD3502E1-F28B-4FD5-8637-478EF98E6F66@microsoft.com... > how do i change #(1-365) to the corresponding date in excel? ...

4-Sided Text Border
I want to print continuous text all around the outside border of my document . The only way I can figure out how to do it is use 4 text boxes & line 'em up as a border. Which I'll do if that's the only way . . . Is there a way to make one continuous text border around a document? Thanks so much! No way in Publisher to make one continuous text box. Your way (4 text boxes) will work. You could copy/paste special as a .png, this will allow cropping. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jan" <...