Working with huge cells

I'm pseudo-using Excel as a database with some huge cells such as 150
lines including LFs (I stripped the CRs). I'd like to see as much as
possible, navigate with the keyboard, and (hey, I can dream) if possible
find and land cursor on a search term (ideally repeating with a button).
Highlighting them would be the final victory - or at least enlarging or
emboldening - even if I could only do one at a time.

At a comfortable font I can see about 30 lines in the auto-expanding
Formula Bar while selecting the unwrapped cell so that's a start. It
looks clean with the LFs. I can then click in the (full screen height
now) formula bar and use all 4 arrow keys and even control-left,right
and control-home,end. I can even mark and copy text. So so far, fairly
useful.

I can improve on that by hitting a button and copying it on a full
screen form that has nothing but a huge textbox and exit button. That
also buys me use of page-up and page-down.

The only other thing I've found is to modify characters().font
properties such as .size (thank you for once giving that solution,
Darlin' Harlan). But that only affects the visible cell on the worksheet
- not the formula bar content or the form listbox. (I haven't considered
a listbox directly on the sheet.)

Background highlighting individual terms is my greediest hope, but I did
actually think of a way - parsing the cell word by word onto many cells.
But if you think about it, it makes unnatural sentences - because of
course I can't autosize widths differently on different rows.

Can you suggest where I can go now? Can I embolden or color parts of a
textbox or something? And/or get finds?

Maybe I should wimp out and copy the cell into a fresh Word .DOC and
highlight with (UGHH!)Word VBA. I'd certainly have the repeat-find
capability too.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hyperlinks to DB dont work now that DB is converted
We have converted all our Access 97 databases to Access 2000- not without a lot of issues. Most of them have now been researched and resolved, some re-coded, etc. We have one issue that we cannot resolve. We used to have hyperlinks on our Intra-net to several Access Databases. These were essentially "shortcuts" to the databases so that the general population could have easy access. Now that we did our Access conversion, the hyperlinks on our intranet do not work. Clicking on the link gives an option to open the file from its current location or download it to a local loc...

Send to Onenote on Windows 7, driver won't work?
I downloaded the driver from David Rasmussen, but every time I open OneNote after printing to XPS I get the message "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." If I click continue it still doesn't work. This was one of my favorite features - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find me a way to use OneNote! I lived off of it last year. Rilli wrote: > I downloaded the d...

auto caps don't work
in outlookk 2003, even tho i have set tools, options, spelling to autocorrect the first word of a sentence. it doesn't do it. i have never had this problem before, but now i have a new laptop and can't get this feature to work. -- tom martin Are you using Word as your editor? If so, your settings are there. Otherwise, learn to type. http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4713&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C4713&ysmchn=GGL&ysmcpn=Typing&ysmcrn=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50&ysmtrm=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50+mavis+beacon&ysmtac=PPC&ovtac=PPC&SR=s...

how to keep cell rounding to 2 places even when someone else pastes number with more.
At work, i receive spreadsheets of bonuses that can be derived from formula. however, when i copy and paste the info into our file fo payroll, it can only be 2 places, otherwise it kicks out an error. now, i've been here almost a year now and it's been near impossible t get the people who submit the file to make sure they ROUND the numbe to 2 places. i'm wondering if there is something i can do in the cell that when the paste their number in it, it automatically rounds. or if that's not possible, if there's a way for me to highlight column then have it round all t...

Search does not work for one workbook
I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it. Drives me crazy. What can this be. I see peoples names in there. Kevs OS 10.6.2 INTEL imac Office 2004 Hi Kevs: It could be the file format the workbook is saved in. What extension does the file-name have? The extension tells the system what kind of data a file contains, which controls which importer Spotlight uses to read the file: if there is no extension you could get strange results. Cheers On 6/01/10 2:47 AM, in article C7689F21.5718F%forums55@verizon.net, "forums55@verizon.net"...

cell shading
Hello all, I am looking for a way of automatically shading a range of cells takin the value from another cell. i.e. If A1 has the value of 25 in it is there a way of thi automatically shading say B1:B25. Thanks in advance. Greg -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select the range of cells that you want the conditional formatting t apply to (B1:B25) and then click *FORMAT --> CONDITIONAL FORMATTING.* Next change the "Condition 1" drop down selection to read *FORMULA IS* Enter the formula below into the formula textbox and then click th format button, select the pat...

How does hibernate work
I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag to signal the system that it's in hi...

working with temporary working files..
I keep getting the message that I cannot save a temp. working file. This work has been save on a cd and transfered back on to my desk top. Help ...

Displaying a blank cell
I have this formula in my spreadsheet... =IF('Prospect Questions'!B61=""," ","") Obviously, if cell B61 on the Prospect Questions work sheet is blank, I want this new cell to appear with a blank. Otherwise I want the contents of what's in B61. When I enter this formula, it is displaying the formula. What am I doing wrong??? Is the formatting wrong??? Or just the formula?? HELP! Have you text format in the cell with the formula? Also, =IF('Prospect Questions'!B61="","",'Prospect Questions'!B61) I noticed th...

How do I Add Data at the beginning of multiple cells in Excel?
I have an excel document that I am trying to add the letters "PH:" in front of already existing data (phone #'s) to help create a directory of sorts... Need to know if theres a way add this at the beginning of data in multiple cells all at once? Any help is appreciated... Hi, let's assume your data is in column A, then in another column enter ="PH"&A1 copy formula down, if you want an space between PH and the data use ="PH"&" "&A1 "Leigh" wrote: > I have an excel document that I am trying to add ...

Non-working work week
Is there any way to make an entire week a non-working work week? As in, a task is going to take 25 days, but the 4th of July occurs in the middle and you want to show that during that week (or 2), no work will occur. Besides creating a new task or extending the task during. Thanks in advance! Hi RVE, Open up the calendar, "Tools", 'Change working time..', then simply select the days you want as non working. Make sure that the calendar you change is the Project calendar and is the basis for all other calendars such as individual resource calendars. Hope thi...

GP8 Manufacturing
Hello Everybody. Our Shop works 5 days a week (closed weekends). We have a WC that works 6 days a week (down Sundays only). We have setup both the Shop and WC Calendars to reflect this reality. We would expect that, when scheduling an MO that routes thru this WC, the WC calendar will override the Shop Calendar? However, our tests are not showing this to be true - We use a Backwards Infinite Scheduling Method and it always skips the weekend when calculating the start day of an MO regardless of the WC. Does anyone have any experience working with the WC Calendars? Please share your wis...

Getting a cell address and using it
I have a spreadsheet containing production information. I want to b able to search by date (can do this using VLOOKUP), and extrac information from the same row as that date. However, I also want to be able to extract the previous 10 entries a well, for comparison purposes. ie I enter a date and find that it is in B95, and the piece of info want is in C95. I also want to be able to pull out C86-94 and place i all into a new sheet. I'd be grateful for any help offered. Thank -- dudar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dudara's Profile: http://w...

Graphing work and remaining work over time
I would like to generate a graph showing total actual work and remaining work for a top level task over time (week), This would enable me to show the projected remaining work through the duration of the project as it decreases from N to 0, and show the actual work completed though the duration of the project as it increases from 0 to N. The canned visual reports don't allow me to do this (that I can see anyway). Maybe I'm missing something. I also can't see how to customize a visual report that will do what I want. Using Microsoft Project 2007 (not the Server edit...

Combining text and cell value to create a sentence
In Excel 2000 I have something like the following: A B C D Inc/Dec 1 April May YTD Goal 2 $75 $50 $10 $200 decreased I'd like to form a sentence such as Recoveries decreased from May to April. I've tried "="Recoveries " &Text(E2) " from" &Text(B1) "to " &Text(A1) But keep getting "too many arguments". Any suggestions, or is this possible? Simply =Recoveries " & E2 &" from "& B1 & " to " & A1 the T...

If cell equals, give total of another cell #2
I have a formula that looks likes this: =IF(Historical!I10="X","Historical!A10","") If true, it returns "Historical!A10" How do I write this formula to give me the value of A10 and not the name of the cell? -- Lori =IF(Historical!I10="X",Historical!A10,"") Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Lori Burton" wrote: > I have a formula that looks likes this: > > =IF(Historical!I10="X","Historical!A10","") > > If true, it returns "Historical!A10" > > How do I writ...

How to create a formula that results in a blank cell if required
I have a spreadsheet that is to be populated during the course of the year. I have a column which totals the number of days worked on a particular task and have copied the formula down the sheet for the number of entries required. Obviously, as the sheet is currently unpopulated, I do not want a whole load of zeroes listed in this column when the other cells in the sheet (which are used in the calculation) are currently empty. ie) what I have is (as a simple example) A B C ------------------------------- Hours Total Hrs Total Days 37 37 5 ...

outlook2003 send button does not work
send button does not work i have tryed a new email acc. and reinstalling with no luck. now i am useing express and then export to outlook ...

Inserting Pictures into Excel cell
I would like to insert a Picture or a word file into an excel worksheet cell, but keep it hidden behind the cells below. Usually, when I insert a word file, etc. it appears on top in full and covers cells underneath. Is there a way of inserting a file in a cell, keep most of it hidden so that when you click on the cell, the whole thing appears. When you click on another cell, it hides again? Please let me know in simple clear English. Hi AFAIK not really, when you insert pictures into excel they don't actually go into a cell ... the "best" option, might be to insert the...

Drag and Drop does not work
Hi all. This is funny: When I try to drag and drop a message from "Inbox" to "Backup" I get an error message. When I right click and select "move to folder"- it does work. ANY CLUES? TIA Guy Not a single one. No Outlook version = no clues. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Guy Cohen asked: | Hi all. | | This is funny: | When I try to drag and drop a message from "Inbox" ...

Internet Explorer E-mail links are no longer working in Outlook?
Hi, As soon as I click an e-mail link in Internet Explorer, another Outlook pops up. It used to just open a fresh new e-mail screen with the persons address already in the "TO:" line ? I can't figure out what I did wrong. Thanks, Rich ...

SunTrust Auto-Download Not Working after Banking Upgrade
I have been automatically downloading transactions from SunTrust since I installed MS$ 2007 Deluxe last year. I have done this without having to signup (for a fee of 5.95/month) with SunTrust for MS$ support. AFter the MS Banking Upgrade, I had to re-establish my SunTrust account with MS$. But, now I'm told (by MS$) that I don't have a SunTrust on-line account. Any thoughts? Anyone? I have been having issue as well with Suntrust, even if you get it to work you will find that its basically useless now downloading and duplicating pending transactions repeatedly, this is where I am ...

Spell check not working.

Clear cell from formula?

Moving cells to row with matching data
My spreadsheet looks like this: A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 00960109...