Working in time formats

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet for various marathon race paces, but
whenever I enter a time in runner's lingo (ie. 7:31 equals 7 minutes and 31
seconds) the program wants to convert to a date. I've thought about using
decimals where 7:31 would be written as 7.517, but that's a bit clunky.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Ralph

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

And you're entering 7:31, not 7/31, right?

Maybe it's a window setting.

Open up the regional settings applet under control panel

In winXP:
windows start button|settings|control panel|regional and language options
On the Regional Options tab
click the Customize button
Then go to the Date tab and make sure that the date separator is not a colon.
(I use the slash (/) character.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

I think I should've played with this a bit more. If I enter 7:31, what I get
is 7:31:00 AM. I assumed it wouldn't let me run calculations, but it does
work fine.

Thanks for the response!
Ralph

> And you're entering 7:31, not 7/31, right?
>
> Maybe it's a window setting.
>
> Open up the regional settings applet under control panel
>
> In winXP:
> windows start button|settings|control panel|regional and language options
> On the Regional Options tab
> click the Customize button
> Then go to the Date tab and make sure that the date separator is not a
> colon.
> (I use the slash (/) character.)
>

> "Ralph Bender, MBA" wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to create a spreadsheet for various marathon race paces, but
>> whenever I enter a time in runner's lingo (ie. 7:31 equals 7 minutes and
>> 31
>> seconds) the program wants to convert to a date. I've thought about using
>> decimals where 7:31 would be written as 7.517, but that's a bit clunky.
>>
>> Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.
>>
>> Ralph
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Hyperlinks to DB dont work now that DB is converted
We have converted all our Access 97 databases to Access 2000- not without a lot of issues. Most of them have now been researched and resolved, some re-coded, etc. We have one issue that we cannot resolve. We used to have hyperlinks on our Intra-net to several Access Databases. These were essentially "shortcuts" to the databases so that the general population could have easy access. Now that we did our Access conversion, the hyperlinks on our intranet do not work. Clicking on the link gives an option to open the file from its current location or download it to a local loc...

Send to Onenote on Windows 7, driver won't work?
I downloaded the driver from David Rasmussen, but every time I open OneNote after printing to XPS I get the message "Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." If I click continue it still doesn't work. This was one of my favorite features - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find me a way to use OneNote! I lived off of it last year. Rilli wrote: > I downloaded the d...

auto caps don't work
in outlookk 2003, even tho i have set tools, options, spelling to autocorrect the first word of a sentence. it doesn't do it. i have never had this problem before, but now i have a new laptop and can't get this feature to work. -- tom martin Are you using Word as your editor? If so, your settings are there. Otherwise, learn to type. http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?itemID=4713&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C4713&ysmchn=GGL&ysmcpn=Typing&ysmcrn=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50&ysmtrm=sr2br29go633go202pi10ai50+mavis+beacon&ysmtac=PPC&ovtac=PPC&SR=s...

Search does not work for one workbook
I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it. Drives me crazy. What can this be. I see peoples names in there. Kevs OS 10.6.2 INTEL imac Office 2004 Hi Kevs: It could be the file format the workbook is saved in. What extension does the file-name have? The extension tells the system what kind of data a file contains, which controls which importer Spotlight uses to read the file: if there is no extension you could get strange results. Cheers On 6/01/10 2:47 AM, in article C7689F21.5718F%forums55@verizon.net, "forums55@verizon.net"...

How does hibernate work
I have a question on the details of how hibernate works. I know it's saving everything in memory to the hiber file. Since power seems to be truly off at hibernation I assumed the flag to tell the PC to resume from the hiber file rather than normal booting must be either saved on disk or flashed to a bit of bios rom space, or maybe in space maintained by the clock battery. But the cure for a laptop that is stuck in a loop of constantly resuming from hibernating is to unplug it and take the battery out for a while so where actually is the flag to signal the system that it's in hi...

working with temporary working files..
I keep getting the message that I cannot save a temp. working file. This work has been save on a cd and transfered back on to my desk top. Help ...

Conditional Format Tracker by Date
I'm building a tracker to make sure paperwork is done on time. Headers: A:Name B:IDNum C:Phone D:StartDate E:Plan F:Paperwork G:30DAuth H:90DAuth I'd like to use conditional formatting to compare the dates and color the cells for easier tracking. The compare TO date is column D. In column E, we have 7 days to write the plan so if there is no date in that column, turn red. When a date is entered turn green if within 7 days but yellow if it's past 7 days. In column F, same as column E but only 3 days for that one. (I can figure that out if I get a w...

Non-working work week
Is there any way to make an entire week a non-working work week? As in, a task is going to take 25 days, but the 4th of July occurs in the middle and you want to show that during that week (or 2), no work will occur. Besides creating a new task or extending the task during. Thanks in advance! Hi RVE, Open up the calendar, "Tools", 'Change working time..', then simply select the days you want as non working. Make sure that the calendar you change is the Project calendar and is the basis for all other calendars such as individual resource calendars. Hope thi...

Graphing work and remaining work over time
I would like to generate a graph showing total actual work and remaining work for a top level task over time (week), This would enable me to show the projected remaining work through the duration of the project as it decreases from N to 0, and show the actual work completed though the duration of the project as it increases from 0 to N. The canned visual reports don't allow me to do this (that I can see anyway). Maybe I'm missing something. I also can't see how to customize a visual report that will do what I want. Using Microsoft Project 2007 (not the Server edit...

Calculating date/time intervals??
I have multiple sets of date/time value combinations. For each start time (date/time) and finish time (date/time), I need a formula that calculates the number of days, hours, and minutes between the two events. Example: Start 5/14/2010, 11:25 Finish 5/17/2010, 18:30 Thanks for any assistance! John Hi, Assume that starting entry is in cell C7 and finishing entry is in cell C9 =INT(C9)-INT(C7) for days; =(C9-C7)*24*60 for minutes; and =(C9-C7)*24 for days -- Regards, Ashish Mathur Microsoft Excel MVP www.ashishmathur.com "jj" <jj@discussions.micr...

Excel 2000
Hello I am new and exhausted from trying to find an answer to m problem. I enter a date into a cell (ex. 020206 which should auto format t 02/02/2006) but when I hit enter I get a weird date that comes u 1/23/7436. This happens with any date I enter. I tried to custom format the cel ##/##/## but that doesn't work, and I tried "text to columns" but ha no success. Any help with detailed solutions would be appreciated. thank -- vt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vtz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&us...

GP8 Manufacturing
Hello Everybody. Our Shop works 5 days a week (closed weekends). We have a WC that works 6 days a week (down Sundays only). We have setup both the Shop and WC Calendars to reflect this reality. We would expect that, when scheduling an MO that routes thru this WC, the WC calendar will override the Shop Calendar? However, our tests are not showing this to be true - We use a Backwards Infinite Scheduling Method and it always skips the weekend when calculating the start day of an MO regardless of the WC. Does anyone have any experience working with the WC Calendars? Please share your wis...

Problem with custom formats
I have a client that is trying to export an excel spreadsheet to an Access database The excel spreadshheet has some custom formats to aid in the speed of data entry. The problem is this. For Instance: Cell A1 is formated Custom 5_??"/"32. When you go to that cell and enter 8 .... 5 8/32 is displayed. However the actual value in the cell is 8. When I import this cell into Access I get 8. I actually need 5 8/32 even if it is a text field. I tried all the cut and paste and special paste options to no avail. Is there any way to capture the literals in the format of the cell...

ISO SQL Date Format / ISO Date Formats
ISO date formats come in a number of variations, two such variations are YYYY-MM-DD and YYYYMMDD. The ISO SQL Standard date format is YYYY-MM-DD only which is termed a "date literal". According to the standard (see here: http://savage.net.au/SQL/sql-92.bnf.html#date literal) the "date literal" in order for it to be a "date literal" MUST be prefixed by the keyword DATE, if not then the text is simply nothing more than a "string literal" which has different meaning and subject to regional settings if used on data type conversions ie. st...

outlook2003 send button does not work
send button does not work i have tryed a new email acc. and reinstalling with no luck. now i am useing express and then export to outlook ...

Total of Time
I'm recording the time I spend working on a piece of work in a spreadsheet along with meeting details etc. I've 2 columns that are start and finish times and a third that works out duration. I then want to total the duration into total hours but I can't find a way to do this Any help please TIA Assuming your duration is in column C, just use =SUM(C1:C100) XL's default display will "roll over" every 24 hours. To get the actual total, choose Format/Cells/Number/Custom [h]:mm In article <#NJENCGYEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "A" <a...

Drag and Drop does not work
Hi all. This is funny: When I try to drag and drop a message from "Inbox" to "Backup" I get an error message. When I right click and select "move to folder"- it does work. ANY CLUES? TIA Guy Not a single one. No Outlook version = no clues. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Guy Cohen asked: | Hi all. | | This is funny: | When I try to drag and drop a message from "Inbox" ...

how do you format an underlined "fill in the blank"
how do you format an underlined "fill in the blank" so that it expands or contracts as it is filled in? Berta wrote: > how do you format an underlined "fill in the blank" so that it > expands or contracts as it is filled in? See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm for several ways. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. ...

Internet Explorer E-mail links are no longer working in Outlook?
Hi, As soon as I click an e-mail link in Internet Explorer, another Outlook pops up. It used to just open a fresh new e-mail screen with the persons address already in the "TO:" line ? I can't figure out what I did wrong. Thanks, Rich ...

SunTrust Auto-Download Not Working after Banking Upgrade
I have been automatically downloading transactions from SunTrust since I installed MS$ 2007 Deluxe last year. I have done this without having to signup (for a fee of 5.95/month) with SunTrust for MS$ support. AFter the MS Banking Upgrade, I had to re-establish my SunTrust account with MS$. But, now I'm told (by MS$) that I don't have a SunTrust on-line account. Any thoughts? Anyone? I have been having issue as well with Suntrust, even if you get it to work you will find that its basically useless now downloading and duplicating pending transactions repeatedly, this is where I am ...

Spell check not working.

converting time (format) to number
Hi I am using ms access and I would like to make querry that will convert certain time (ex. 00:25:05) to number of seconds can anyone help since I can not find the solution Thanks Time is stored as a fraction of a day. Multiply the time value by the number of seconds in a day (86400). ?#00:25:05#*86400 1505 -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Boge" <boge.nikolov@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1146838648.460933.44820@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I am using ms access and I would like to make querry...

Convert data in Excel file to vsd format
H We are dynamically building an Excel sheet aith data to be shown as an Organization chart How can we convert this file into vsd format from Visual Basic Also, how can we show the Excel file contents on the WEB using asp Really Urgent. Regard Ajith well, I'm looking at Office2003 and Visio2003. Visio has the OrgChart Wizard for import of excel data, and Excel has the export of html. I believe this is functional back to the 2000 version as well. What version of the tools are you using? Al "Ajitha Anil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Working with option buttons in Word 2002
So, we are trying to create a form in Word 2002 in which we offer a series of radio or "option" buttons for some of our survey questions. However, we are struggling to make the option buttons work through the "Web Tools" toolbar. We can create the list we want to create, but can't save the file so it can be e-mailed and utilized in the correct capacity. Can someone please walk me through the steps of how to create a form in which there are numerous questions, almost all of which utilize the same clickable "option buttons" to choose either a &q...

Working with WORKS
We have some spreadsheets in WORKS 4.5 fpr Windows 95. But Excel 2000 won't open them. It says that the version is incompatible. How can that be if it is an older version of WORKS? Using Windows XP. -- ____________________ Bill DeShawn Please reply to group only Thank you http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.co...