Wont show Values, just formula

Have some formulas like the following:-
=IF(B10=0," ",LOOKUP(B10,Menu!$A$1:$A$146,Menu!$B$1:$B$146))

wanted to change the lookup range, but every time i change the formula
it just displayes the formula, and not the resulting value. WHY??

I have checked the View Options and they are OK. Tried deleting an
retyping the formula. Nothing helps

Can some1 help me please

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Actually what you want to make sure you have on is
Calculation: Automatic   on the  Calculation tab of options.

If may have be turned of by a macro that did not complete,
or an addin that did not complete.

If you turn calculation off on purpose you would have to use
F9  to initiate a recalculation, but I'm sure you would prefer
to change your tools options..
---
HTH,

"mushy_peas" <mushy_peas.xd5ja@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mushy_peas.xd5ja@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Have some formulas like the following:-
> =IF(B10=0," ",LOOKUP(B10,Menu!$A$1:$A$146,Menu!$B$1:$B$146))
>

> wanted to change the lookup range, but every time i change the formula,
> it just displayes the formula, and not the resulting value. WHY??
>
> I have checked the View Options and they are OK. Tried deleting and
> retyping the formula. Nothing helps
>
> Can some1 help me please .

dmcritchie (2586)
11/23/2003 8:34:50 PM
mushy

The cells you are typing your formulas into are most likely pre-formatted to
TEXT.

Select the cells and Format>Cells>General

This will not in itself alter the view.  You must re-type the formulas and
ENTER.

OR to change all at once..............

Select cells and Edit>Replace

What: =
With: =

Replace all.

Gord Dibben   XL2002

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:17:37 -0600, mushy_peas
<mushy_peas.xd5ja@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Have some formulas like the following:-
>=IF(B10=0," ",LOOKUP(B10,Menu!$A$1:$A$146,Menu!$B$1:$B$146))
>

>wanted to change the lookup range, but every time i change the formula,
>it just displayes the formula, and not the resulting value. WHY??
>
>I have checked the View Options and they are OK. Tried deleting and
>retyping the formula. Nothing helps
>
>Can some1 help me please .

>~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/
>~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
Gord
11/23/2003 8:38:18 PM
The MS knowledge base says you just have to hit F2 after changing the
format. I can verify this works, it happens to me all the time.

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:38:18 -0800, Gord Dibben wrote:

>mushy
>
>The cells you are typing your formulas into are most likely pre-formatted to
>TEXT.
>
>Select the cells and Format>Cells>General
>
>This will not in itself alter the view.  You must re-type the formulas and
>ENTER.

0
mine1 (1)

Limiting formulas based on filtering?
Is there an easy way to build a formula that will only take values into consideration when the auto format is used. So, if I have a table of data and a formula based on this table and I filter one of my data columns to some vause then I would like my formula to automatically update. Is this possible? Thank you, CH The SUBTOTAL function ignores rows that are hidden by an autofilter (and optionally, also rows that were hidden manually). It can perform a wide range of operations, including sums, averages, counts, standard deviations, products, maximums, minimums, etc. Check E...

formula for money additions & subtractions
I am trying to get a formula to calculate payroll deduction for cas register +/-. When an employee is over by $10 or under by $24, th difference comes out of thier check. Example: if somone is -25.00 for the month $1.00 would come out of th check. If someone is +11.00 then $1.00 would come out of the chec also. the +/- for the month is in one cell so i would like the formula to b able to read that cell and figure out if it is too much or little fo the deduction. this is the greatest sight that i have ever found and i hope someon can help me Thank you, Mik -- Message posted from http...

Formula in Marksheet #2
Hi all... I need help on a 'formula' for my students' marksheet. For them to pass the whole exam, a student MUST PASS 7 SUBJECTS from 3 groups. The grouping is like these : A) Must pass ALL 4 subjects in Group A - marks are in cells D7, F7, H7, J7 B) Must pass AT LEAST 2 OUT OF 3 subjects in Group B - marks are in cells L7, N7, P7 C) Must pass AT LEAST 1 OUT OF 2 subjects in Group C - marks are in cells R7, T7 Thank you so much something like? if count(d7,f7,h7,j7)<4,"bad","good") -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.co...

Showing Specific Data from Master Sheet to Another Sheet
I am making a bill of materials at work and have a master list I want to access from other sheets. The master list has all parts named and categorized, and I want to be able to access sections (Hydraulics, Chassis, Electrical, etc.) of the master from other sheets. I have tried pivottables but I am having issues showing the data in it original form: Part Name Quantity Material Expense Category etc. (accross the row) I wish to be able to make calculations only off the selected data on each sheet but I am having immense problems getting there. If you can help. Parker Jo...

Activities don't show up until we hit the refresh button
Hello all, We upgraded from 3 to 4 and it appears that the upgrade did not complete successfuly, but the users used the system. Everything appears to be working well except for a couple of strange things like when we create an activity the activity does not appear until we hit the Refresh button, going to history and coming back does not fix the issue, only the refresh button any quick fix on this one? thanks ...

SBS 2008 Fax Sent Items Not showing all faxes sent
Hello, I need to allow sent faxes to be seen by all users. I have Windows XP and Windows 7 64bit client machines. Currently they can only see their sent faxes. In SBS 2003 they were able to see all sent faxes. Any suggestions? Could you create an Outlook rule based on the fax sent acknowledgement that copied the fax to a public folder? "RodSoh" <RodSoh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4541A0E-18C2-4A83-A13D-8E7D045C29E8@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I need to allow sent faxes to be seen by all users. I have Windows XP...

Show All Groups in 2007
I've looked for this setting, but can't seem to find it -- or, maybe it's not available (which would totally surprise me) -- is there a way to always "Show All Groups" in Access 2007 as opposed to having to right click on the navigation pane and activate all the time? I prefer to see all my objects at once. Thanks for any help. Yes: the top of the Nav Pane has a drop-down. Choose: All Objects. To see them sorted like previous versions, right-click on the top of the Nav Pane, and choose: Category | Object Type -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, W...

Access Code Pushing Values
I have a customer database with [BillAddress] and [ShipAddress]. I am using a "yes/no" box titled[SameShipAddress?]. To automatically fill [ShipAddress] after checking the "yes/no" box I used this code in the after update event for the check box. If Me![SameShipAddress?] Then If IsNull(Me![BillAddress]) Then Else [ShipAddress] = [BillAddress] End If End If This works for the selected customer, but then pushes the entry [BillAddress] of the previous customer to [ShipAddress] of all of the following customers. Any thoughts? Sounds as...

How do I send newslette in email without showing the publisher too
When I email my newsletter as an attachment, when you open the attachment, it takes you to the publisher program page where I built it. How can I send a "finished" newsletter out? As a .pdf file. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Lifefire" <Lifefire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4E8B0FB-B033-4393-8F27-DFAAA6DD37A5@microsoft.com... > When I email my newsletter as an attachment, when you open the attachment, > it > takes you to the publisher program page w...

What is the formula for series: Jan-04, Feb-04, Mar-04, etc.?
Hi Kitty, =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1) -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "kitty" <kitty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C586891-2883-47B9-A3DE-AF77D4A9799E@microsoft.com... > Hi kitty, One way of doing it is with the formula below: If you have a date is cell A1 (01/01/04) and you want cell B1 to sho you the following month insert in B1 the formula below. =EOMONTH(A1,0)+1 You may have to install the "add in" the ToolPak in order for th formula to work other wise you will get a #NAME?, error. Hope thi helps -- Fa...

enter value based on drop down list of another field?
I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with 3 worksheets. In sheet 1, I created a drop down list in column A based on values in sheet 3, column A (item number). Thisd data comes from sheet 3, where I have column A (Item #'s), column B (Item desc)an Column C (price) In column B of sheet 1, I have Item Descriptions and in column C I have price. I want this to automatically fill in based on what I enter in the column A sheet 1 and it should get the corresponding values from sheet 3 column B and C. I can make the drop down list in sheet 1 column B and C, but some of the descriptions need ...

I'm looking for a community just like this one but for Entourge?
I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just like this one. Thank you. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage Gilbert wrote: > I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft > Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just > like this one. Thank you. Thank you very much Bob. "Bob I" wrote: > http://www.micros...

Balances don't show when reconciling
I just upgraded to Money 2004 and the totals dollar value of debits and credits cleared no longer shows. Instead, this line shows: "The difference between your statement and register is:" along with the difference. I want to know the dollar value of debits and credits I have cleared so far and compare that with the bank statement. Somebody at Microsoft thought this was an "improvement" compared to the way they presented the data in M03 and earlier. It's probably something that came out of the usability lab after they took their great grandmother in to see if ...

time formulas
Can anybody give me an advice Lets say i put in first column dime of departure and in second one time of arrival (of course i know have to insert the time ). In third column i get the time spent somwhere. So far everything is ok. The problem occ urs when i want the sum of all differences in the third column (rows are months dates). The autosumm formula wont work and the result is completely wrong. thanks miro Hi format the resulting cell with the custome format [hh]:mm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany axiom wrote: > Can anybody give me an advice > > Lets say i put i...

Stop Buttons showing when opening up form
I have a button on my Main Start up page that when click makes these buttons visible, but when I open up my DB they automatically show on start up, is it possible they not be visible till I click ckbHelp.......Thanks for any Help.....Bob Private Sub ckbHelp_Click() If ckbHelp = True Then cmbHelpNewHorse.Visible = True cmbHelpActFinHorse.Visible = True End If If ckbHelp = False Then cmbHelpNewHorse.Visible = False cmbHelpActFinHorse.Visible = False End If End Sub Bob, In design view, set the property pf the *button* Visible=No Regards/Jacob "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote i...

How do I filter rows based upon a column value
I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When generating reports, I would like to filter per agency and display only the rows associated with that agency. Is there a tutorial or sample on how to do this? Hi It sounds like you are looking for Data / Filter / AutoFilter. Have a look here for some basics: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html -- Andy. "Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eqiU08TVEHA.2988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When > generati...

Formula for excel example 555 x 15%
=555*0.15 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "sari" <sari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B4BA8D5-04A4-4195-B749-DFEED0452A3A@microsoft.com... > ...

Some contacts don't show on drop down box when addressing email
I was using Outlook Express, my computer motherboard died, got new computer with Windows 7, trying to learn Outlook 2003. The computer tech from my husband's office put Outlook 2003 on the new computer and somehow transferred the addresses that I had in Outlook Express. I do not know what method he used to get the addresses into Outlook 2003. Some things carried over just fine, some things didn't, i.e. a group list of my subdivision property owners, so I had to re-make that distribution list. When I want to email my daughter, her name or email address is not s...

Pasting Formulas bug?
I seem to be having a strange problem with my Excel (11.2.5) for Mac. I have pasted formulas for years and never had an issue...until now. The formulas are simple (addition, subtraction, etc.). I copy the formula in a cell and paste it to a new one (I even do this with Paste Special...Formula). What appears in the spreadsheet is the value of the original cell, not the result of the "relative" formula -- even though the formula bar displays the correct "relative" formula. I can only get the correct value in the new cell if I go into the formula bar and press return at the...

Customized picklist fields are not showing up in the preview
hi, can you please help me out in the following situation: i have customized my crm 1.2 system in a huge manner. now all customized picklists do not show up in the preview of e.g. opportunity. opening such a related opportunity offers me the possibility to change the picklist field as wanted. note: all built-in picklist fields are showing up in the preview... tia -- Fritz Theiss Did you publish the customizations? And performed an IISReset? After those actions your changes should be visible. Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands "Fritz" wrote: > hi,...

Pivot table
Can I develop a formula that I can add to those which you pick from whe using the wizard ie sum, average, min, max etc Specifically, I want to add an IF statement to give me a 'flag' i which to summarize the data with elsewhere. The data behind the pivo changes (sales data) and I am trying to flag new customers that hav never worked with us before.....once they have traded with us then the dissappear as they are now an old customer To -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi no you can't do this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Can I develop a for...

Help Creating A Formula To Copy and Paste Text
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you may have. I need to create a formula that searches for a specific word in a column then cut the word and paste it to another column. Of course this would be simple if it was the only word in the column, but there is other text that I would like to remain in the orginal column.. Thanks again, Mary You have a reply at your other thread. Mary wrote: > > Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you may have. > > I need to create a formula that searches for a specific word in a > column then cut the word and paste it to ...

Signatures not showing up in email
I have signtures setup and selected in Outlook 2003 and format set to HTML yet they don't show up on the email when I select new. Any ideas on what I'm missing? Are you using Word as the editor? If yes, you must define a signature in Word and then your other signatures will be available via the right click context menu. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: KMW <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | I have signtures setup and selected in Outlook 2003 an...

How to get Row # in formula?
I have several rows with the same formula but they are seperated, in some cases, by rows with other information to prevent me from just dragging a formula down to other rows. Ex. While in row 13: B13*C13+B13*D13+B13*E13 While in row 20: B20*C20+.... how can I write a formula to populate the "13" or "20" automatically for whatever row I am in? Thanks, Dave You may not be able to drag it, but if you copy row13 formula and go to row 20 it updates does it not? -- HTH Bob "DaveR" <DaveR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Fractions showing up as decimals
I have a spreadsheet with columns of fractions, but when you select a cell the function bar shows a decimal instead and when you save as text file it saves as decimal instead of fraction. Could someone please tell me how to make it show as a fraction in the function bar? I have tried formatting the cell as fraction and it does not work that way Dani Dani Formatting a number as a fraction like 1/2 or 1/5 is strictly for appearance on the sheet. The underlying value is still .5 or .2 The formula bar shows that number and when you save as text file, that is the number that gets saved, n...