I'm often sharing files on a network drive with someone.  Often, one
of us knows that we don't need to open a file for modification, and we
only need read-access.  Is there a way to open a file in read-only
mode so that when someone does need to open it for modification, the
read-only user is not blocking that?

If there is not a way to do this native to Windows XP, is there a way
to do it from the three applications that we use most, namely Word,
Excel, Visio?  All are 2003 versions.

Thx.
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I used to save files like this in "read only recommended" mode.

File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options|and check that box.

It's not foolproof, but most people would open in readonly mode.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I hope this helps.

Fred

"paul.domaskis@gmail.com" wrote:

> I'm often sharing files on a network drive with someone.  Often, one
> of us knows that we don't need to open a file for modification, and we
> only need read-access.  Is there a way to open a file in read-only
> mode so that when someone does need to open it for modification, the
> read-only user is not blocking that?
>
> If there is not a way to do this native to Windows XP, is there a way
> to do it from the three applications that we use most, namely Word,
> Excel, Visio?  All are 2003 versions.
>
> Thx.

Hmmm, that's an options.  Is there to make opening in readonly not so
much a default as an option that can be called upon when occassionally
needed?

On Mar 25, 10:14=A0am, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> I used to save files like this in "read only recommended" mode.
>
> File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options|and check that box.
>
> It's not foolproof, but most people would open in readonly mode.
>
> paul.domas...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I'm often sharing files on a network drive with someone. =A0Often, one
> > of us knows that we don't need to open a file for modification, and we
> > only need read-access. =A0Is there a way to open a file in read-only
> > mode so that when someone does need to open it for modification, the
> > read-only user is not blocking that?
>
> > If there is not a way to do this native to Windows XP, is there a way
> > to do it from the three applications that we use most, namely Word,
> > Excel, Visio? =A0All are 2003 versions.
>
> > Thx.
How would windows/excel know when it was needed?

--

Dave Peterson
0

In Word 2003 (which I have no longer installed on this machine) there was a
similar option in the "Open" dialog if I'm not mistaken.

Yves

On Apr 1, 1:31=A0pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> How would windows/excel know when it was needed?

What I pictured was that open-in-read-only would be one of the options
in the context menu that pops up when you right-click the file in
Windows Explorer.

On Apr 1, 1:42=A0pm, "Yves Dhondt" <yves.dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In Word 2007, go to "Open" dialog, select your file. Then, press the litt=
le
> down arrow next to the "Open" button. One of the options is to open the f=
ile
> in read-only mode.
>
> In Word 2003 (which I have no longer installed on this machine) there was=
> similar option in the "Open" dialog if I'm not mistaken.
>
> Yves

That is awesome!  I will look for such an option in all applications I
use henceforth.  Too bad such an option is not available in the
context menu that is popped up when one right-clicks the file in
Windows Explorer.

> "Dave Peterson" <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message

> > How would windows/excel know when it was needed?
>
> > paul.domas...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> Hmmm, that's an options. =A0Is there to make opening in readonly not s=
> >> much a default as an option that can be called upon when occassionally
> >> needed?

> > --
>
> > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

So you're going to trust the users to either rightclick on the file or choose
the dropdown on the Open button within the File|Open dialog.

That doesn't sound feasible to me.

paul.domaskis@gmail.com wrote:

> On Apr 1, 1:31 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> > How would windows/excel know when it was needed?
>
> What I pictured was that open-in-read-only would be one of the options
> in the context menu that pops up when you right-click the file in
> Windows Explorer.
>
> > paul.domas...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm, that's an options.  Is there to make opening in readonly not so
> > > much a default as an option that can be called upon when occassionally
> > > needed?

> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)

Any File\Send To\Mail Reciepient feature doesn't work
I have WinXP w/Outlook 2003. When I right click a file and choose Send To\Mail Recipient, the feature does not work. I have got it to work one time by going to Control Panels\Add Remove Programs\Set Program Access and Defaults. There I select Microsoft Windows, (instead of Custom), restart the computer and I can then send to mail recipient, but only one time. After that I get the Error message, Microsoft Office Outlook, The operation failed. This feature works when I select Outlook Express as my default Email client in Internet options. Please can someone help! Thanks in advance. Gregg "...

How to open a workbook into a new Excel application
Hi, I'm wondering if there a way to open a workbook into a new application by default. So, when you double-click the excel workbook, it will start in a new Excel application. I think about something in the Open event but I don't know how to cancel the process and restart it into an other application. Thank you! Alex -- Alex St-Pierre Alex, Excel is an application. Normally Excel runs with only a single instance of itself. You can do OLE linking with programs like MS Word. This sort of runs Excel inside Word. I have seen multiple instances of Excel running a...

Shell.UI and vista Unable to determine XP theme error message
I'm opening a .net project that loads Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI in order to make the app inherit the dexterity colors. When I open this project on an XP machine, it works fine. When I open the same project on vista and open the designer, I get the following message : System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to determine XP theme. GetCurrentThemeName returned C:\Windows\resources\themes\Aero \Aero.msstyles for the theme name. at Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI.LibWrapper.GetThemeName() Fair enough, it doesn't understand aero themes. :) Is there an easy workaround or am I stuck having ...

MMC error on opening exchange system manager
I get an error when opening: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. then I click to report or continue, if continue it opens up but you cant get into anything, in the right bigger window it says MMC could not create snap-in. The snap-in might have not been installed correctly. Name: Exchange System CLSID: 1b600aea-10ba-11d2-9f28-00c04fa37610 It has been working for a month fine, HELP! ...

Excel Cell Compares
I have an Excel spreadsheet with 30 rows in it. I need to write a formula or macro that will compare the value of cell C1 to C2. If the value is the same then I need it to look at cells E1 and E2 to see if the value of either is ZZ. If the value is NOT ZZ then I need it compare cells C2 to C3 etc to the bottom of the worksheet. If the value is ZZ then I need it to delete rows 1 and 2. Can someone help with how to accomplish this? ...

reinstalling windows

Converting Pulisher 98 files to work with Publisher 97
Can anyone help me with this. I did some work from home with Publisher 2003 and saved as Publisher 98. I thought that's what we had at work, but just found out we have Publisher 97. Can anyone help? Thanks, June Send me the file, I will convert it for you. It will lose formatting somewhat. gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "June G." <JuneG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A2C930C-A716-4C3A-A171-365E113E002B@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me...

Can I use Word Toolbar commands in Excel.
I am using a Excel 2000 SP-3. I have noticed that there are more options under the Toolbar/Customise/Command/Format in Word than in Excel. I am trying to add a toolbar command for superscripting into Excel. Is this possible? Is it possible to have all the options that I have in Word for Customizing a toolbar as in Excel? hi, this option is not available in excel regards >-----Original Message----- >I am using a Excel 2000 SP-3. I have noticed that there are more options >under the Toolbar/Customise/Command/Format in Word than in Excel. I am trying >to add a toolbar comman...

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

open windows

publisher cannot load files from a different version... HELP
i got an email from a friend and i am trying to open it, but i get "publisher cannot load files from a different version". I have Publisher 97. Is there anything that I can do besides buying an updated version? Thanks in advance! Bob TubMaster wrote: > i got an email from a friend and i am trying to open it, but i get "publisher > cannot load files from a different version". I have Publisher 97. > Is there anything that I can do besides buying an updated version? > > Thanks in advance! > Bob nope, with what you got... ask your friend to make a pdf o...

Outlook email won't print from open message
Hi, Wonder if anybody has any idea how to deal with this one. Can't find anything in the knowledge base about this specific error. When an email message is opened in Outlook, choosing File + Print results in the following error message: Function address 0x77fcdf2a caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed. It does print from the print command when accessed directly from the header with a right click on the menu. In addition, since this problem cropped up, the same happens during some printing functions in IE 6 and wit...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

a previously saved page wont open now in PUBLISHER
I have saved a page containing all pictures and it always used to open up on demand. Now when I try to open it it comes up with the message "Publisher cannot open this page". I have tried several times to no avail. All other pages open up as required. Maybe some help here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "winlucy" <winlucy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51A89093-3241-4B91-8DAB-D10FE49A62DC@microsoft.com... >I have saved a page containing all pictures and it always used t...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Excel formula that does this...
Hi all, I'm looking for a simple formula that will count the number of records that meet these criteria. It doesn't matter if it's "countif", "sumif", "sumproduct", etc... as long as it counts the number of records that meet the criteria. This is an example put in logical format: =sumif((same_range,"one answer" OR same_range, "another answer") AND (different_range, "required answer")) Again, I'm looking for the count of (criteria OR criteria OR criteria) AND (criteria) Thanks for any help! -- Cheers somethi...

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Excel Charts
Hi all , Can somebody give me information about any vendor providing a tool to that integrates Great plains data with Excel Charts and Graphs. Thanks in advance I would recommend Analysis Cubes for Excel (? not sure if that's still the name). It's the "BI" solution that MS bought from Professional Advantage. It is not too expensive, and will save you a lot of hours if you are currently doing a lot of 'reporting' thru smartlists. It is very use-able out of the box, and can also be customized with the help of the developers. Hope this helps, Maria. "vija...

DB Files with Access2007
Can any help prev with Access2003 I could read .db Files but 2007 return a invalid file Same goes with Excel 2003 was able to read mdb and db files but not with 2007 Thanks Hennie ...

Stock prices in Excel?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi Folks, Can I set up excel so that it downloads and displays the current stock price for a certain stock every time I open the document or refresh? I want to use my own workbook, and I'm looking for a free solution, although I might consider an inexpensive add-on. Thanks!! Yes, Excel will do that. Pop over to the Excel forum and they will explain how: https://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?product=Excel&app=1 On 30/03/08 6:22 AM, in article ee969b4.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "graybell@officeformac...

Open form based on combo box value w/error message for blank combo box
I am working in an Access 2000 database that I've inherited. I'm trying to clean up some of the non-working functions. I am trying to open a form using the OnClick property for a button. On a job order form, there is an unbound combo box [CmbContactID] that gets its list from querying Table!ContactInformation.[CustomerCodes]. When populated, [CmbContactID] should provide the value to open FrmContactInformation when [CmdOpenContactForm] (a button) is clicked. I want an error message to display if the field is blank otherwise it will open the form for the customer code that is displaye...