I'm often sharing files on a network drive with someone.  Often, one
of us knows that we don't need to open a file for modification, and we
only need read-access.  Is there a way to open a file in read-only
mode so that when someone does need to open it for modification, the
read-only user is not blocking that?

If there is not a way to do this native to Windows XP, is there a way
to do it from the three applications that we use most, namely Word,
Excel, Visio?  All are 2003 versions.

Thx.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I used to save files like this in "read only recommended" mode.

File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options|and check that box.

It's not foolproof, but most people would open in readonly mode.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I hope this helps.

Fred

"paul.domaskis@gmail.com" wrote:

> I'm often sharing files on a network drive with someone.  Often, one
> of us knows that we don't need to open a file for modification, and we
> only need read-access.  Is there a way to open a file in read-only
> mode so that when someone does need to open it for modification, the
> read-only user is not blocking that?
>
> If there is not a way to do this native to Windows XP, is there a way
> to do it from the three applications that we use most, namely Word,
> Excel, Visio?  All are 2003 versions.
>
> Thx.

Hmmm, that's an options.  Is there to make opening in readonly not so
much a default as an option that can be called upon when occassionally
needed?

On Mar 25, 10:14=A0am, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> I used to save files like this in "read only recommended" mode.
>
> File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options|and check that box.
>
> It's not foolproof, but most people would open in readonly mode.
>
> paul.domas...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I'm often sharing files on a network drive with someone. =A0Often, one
> > of us knows that we don't need to open a file for modification, and we
> > only need read-access. =A0Is there a way to open a file in read-only
> > mode so that when someone does need to open it for modification, the
> > read-only user is not blocking that?
>
> > If there is not a way to do this native to Windows XP, is there a way
> > to do it from the three applications that we use most, namely Word,
> > Excel, Visio? =A0All are 2003 versions.
>
> > Thx.
How would windows/excel know when it was needed?

--

Dave Peterson
0

In Word 2003 (which I have no longer installed on this machine) there was a
similar option in the "Open" dialog if I'm not mistaken.

Yves

On Apr 1, 1:31=A0pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> How would windows/excel know when it was needed?

What I pictured was that open-in-read-only would be one of the options
in the context menu that pops up when you right-click the file in
Windows Explorer.

On Apr 1, 1:42=A0pm, "Yves Dhondt" <yves.dho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In Word 2007, go to "Open" dialog, select your file. Then, press the litt=
le
> down arrow next to the "Open" button. One of the options is to open the f=
ile
> in read-only mode.
>
> In Word 2003 (which I have no longer installed on this machine) there was=
> similar option in the "Open" dialog if I'm not mistaken.
>
> Yves

That is awesome!  I will look for such an option in all applications I
use henceforth.  Too bad such an option is not available in the
context menu that is popped up when one right-clicks the file in
Windows Explorer.

> "Dave Peterson" <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message

> > How would windows/excel know when it was needed?
>
> > paul.domas...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >> Hmmm, that's an options. =A0Is there to make opening in readonly not s=
> >> much a default as an option that can be called upon when occassionally
> >> needed?

> > --
>
> > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

So you're going to trust the users to either rightclick on the file or choose
the dropdown on the Open button within the File|Open dialog.

That doesn't sound feasible to me.

paul.domaskis@gmail.com wrote:

> On Apr 1, 1:31 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> > How would windows/excel know when it was needed?
>
> What I pictured was that open-in-read-only would be one of the options
> in the context menu that pops up when you right-click the file in
> Windows Explorer.
>
> > paul.domas...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Hmmm, that's an options.  Is there to make opening in readonly not so
> > > much a default as an option that can be called upon when occassionally
> > > needed?

> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)

windows media player 11 for windows xp
I did a system restore on my computer because neither my dell cinema player, my windows media player, nor my windows media player would play sound when i inserted any type of dvd. It played the picture fine, but no sound. There was no problem when i play a cd though. After the restore, i couldn't open up windows media player at all, I would get a yellow symbol with an exclamation point in it saying "internal application error". How can I correct this? Does reinstalling WMP fix the internal application error? If you don't have the original install package anymore,...

Quirky recent file list #2
Debra--- I do tend to open from Windows Explore more then File>Open. But I am saving the file. It's more that it is annoying when I close a file by accident and don't quite remember where it got saved on the server. Stacie -- SPenney ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SPenney's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1079 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=267592 Well, I guess you weren't the only one who wanted this behaviour changed. <g> If/when you upgr...

Opening a new instance of Excel

Windows Live Email Time Stamp
The windows live time stamp on all outgoing emails is 4hours later than the actual time. PC time is setup with the correct time zone. Only happens when using the online windows live email access. Can anyone assist? Thanks. v "dioncnr" <dioncnr@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht news:68BCFE8E-74E3-4967-B733-209DCE7C3BED@microsoft.com... > The windows live time stamp on all outgoing emails is 4hours later than > the > actual time. PC time is setup with the correct time zone. Only happens > when > using the online windows live ...

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Won't Recognize Outlook XP .pst Fi
Sirs: I received an insightful answer to my previous post on receiving "cyclic redundancy" errors when opening Outlook XP .pst files with Outlook-2007 on Windows 7 Home Premium Edition. I've used chkdsk as suggested, and am no longer receiving this error. Instead, I am receiving a new error report of, "Windows does not recognize Tools.pst as a valid 32 bit application'. Can anyone suggest a fix for this? Many thanks. How are you trying to open it? To reconnect a pst-file in Outlook use; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... Note that this is no...

Linking a graph to a csv file
**Excel 2002 Hello, I'm sure this is exceedingly easy, but somehow, I'm screwing this up. I ultimately need to have a self- updating PowerPoint file (client mandates a ppt file). According to ppt's help, that means I have to use linked Excel graphs, not embedded ppt graphs. However, my programmer will be supplying me with tons of csv files. When I try to create an excel file with a data link to a csv file, it tells me that it can't update it unless I open the source file. I *can't* take the time to open each csv - there will be hundreds. What am I missing wi...

Numbering in Word 2007
I have a large (over 150 page) document that has paragraphs followed by numbered lists. I'm using one of the canned 2007 Styles for the documents overarching look. I went into the Numbering Library and modified the Numbering format so that each level of the multilevel list stepped in appropriately - 2 is flush left, 2.1 starts under the starting text of 2, 2.1.1 starts under the starting text of 2.1 etc. This does make the latter numbers have small text areas, but it gives the look I want. Now, I have a problem. The document is not using the numbered list style I se...

Word 2007 Vista
Spell check is not working -- JKW48383 On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:04:01 -0800, JKW48383 <JKW48383@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Spell check is not working See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. ...

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

Word Attachment problem
Have a network of PC's with MS Office of various flavours, drawing Email from Exchange Server. On one PC, have had an ongoing problem with Word attachments. PC has ben reformatted, permissions opened up to Admin, Office upgraded, from 2000 through XP to 2003 all with the same result. When you double click on a Word attachment and chosse to open it, you get a 'Serious error' report with the option to restart Word. Sometimes this works other times it just loops through the same. The latest update to Office 2003, when using the 'Send Report' and then using the diagnosis fro...

MS Office 2000 Professional
When we bought the latest ACER laptop with Vista it came with the test version of MS Office 2007 which we never purchased or installed. Instead I loaded an old version of Office 2000 Professional and have not updated it since installation and it has worked flawlessly up to now Yesterday Word suddenly stopped working (it just freezes) after I tried to open an excel csv file. The system tried to open the file with Word 2007 and started to install I didn't notice until it asked for my Product Key. I foolishly ignored the request and cancelled the installation a few seconds later...

Remembering Echange Username with XP Home
Hi, I have an issue that I can't seem to find any guidance on. Here's the setup --> we are using SBS 2003 with Exchange working properly for email for about 10 users. All of the machines that connect to the SBS box are using XP Home and are still able to connect to each user's Exchange account just fine. (I already know they can't join the domain without Pro) But the issue is that when Outlook prompts for the user's credentials, it is by default entering the workstation's name into the username box. For example, it is inserting "BOB-PC/bsmith" and th...

Outlook 2002 and XP Pro
2 new computer running Win XP Pro with Office 2002. Setup Outlook 2002 with ISP settings. If I go to tools and e- mail accounts than test the account all is fine. When I send/receive, we receive but the send times out. If I go to the web and mail account it will send/receive. Also send/receive work fine in Outlook Express. Pat >-----Original Message----- >2 new computer running Win XP Pro with Office 2002. Setup >Outlook 2002 with ISP settings. If I go to tools and e- >mail accounts than test the account all is fine. When I >send/receive, we receive but the send times o...

multiple xp accounts share outlook contacts and calendar
we have one computer at home. it has xp home edition installed. we have two user accounts, one for me, one for the wife. both of us use outlook 2002. we each have our own inboxes, contacts, calendar, etc. it's like having outlook installed on two separate machines. this is good. however, i need to have us share our calendar and contacts only, not our inboxes. i think i need to point both outlooks to the .pst files that i place in the "all users" directory, but i'm not sure how to isolate the contacts and calendar pst files. can someone walk me through this with instructions?...

Getting List of Visible Windows
Hi All, I am working on a problem that requires me to know whether or not any part of a particular window is visible (even if it's like a one pixel corner). In my misunderstanding, I thought that ::IsWindowVisible would cover it, but it looks like that call just verifies that the hWnd actually has a dialog box. I was able to take it a step further and find out whether or not a window is minimized using ::GetWindowPlacement, but I really need to find out if a window is visible or not (in other words, not completely covered by higher z-order windows). Is there some sort of API call that ...

Excel Crash

Import Palm files
Can anyone help me by telling me how to import palm files (dat files) into outlook. I want to import contact, calendar, etc Depends what you can export to from Palm Desktop. Personally, I've found this messy. Why not just get sync software that can sync your Palm with Outlook directly? Chapura Pocketmirror or Pumatech Intellisync are two ideas....or your Palm CD may have come with this option. F. Carvalho wrote: > Can anyone help me by telling me how to import palm files > (dat files) into outlook. I want to import contact, > calendar, etc ...

outlook 2000 help file

EXCEL TROUBLESHOOTING #2