Will excel 2003 format a cell to the year?

It seems like it should be obvious, but I am finding it impossible to
get excel to do a date format that recognizes a year.  Is there some
way?

0
kateofmd (1)
9/28/2006 3:09:43 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I typed a date in A1 (09/28/2006)
and used format|Cells|number tab|custom category|yyyy

with my USA settings.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Formatting Excel
I have a table in excel, all of the information in this table is linked to AutoCAD. I have added an example below: Example 1 NO. NAME BOTTOM BOTTOM TOP TOP MAT FIN MAT FIN 101 CORRIDOR PLASTIC SMOOTH RUBBER SMOOTH 102 CORRIDOR PLASTIC SMOOTH RUBBER SMOOTH I am trying to get Example 1 to look like Example 2 without having to re-enter everything. It is the same info. but a different layout. I tried a Pivot Table but was not successful. Does anyone have any ideas? Example 2 NO. NAME BOTTOM TOP 10...

Error opening Excel File
Hi, I'm currently having these days an error while opening an excel sheet. The sheet is shared among five users. When one tries to open it, a message indicates that the file is locked for editing by another user and after checking with the user, I understand that he has already closed the file but the latter remains locked. Can someone help? ...

How to validate sum of fields (access 2003)
Hi, I'm running a query in order to find records that have at least one match, based on a form - where I select a certain record - and a subform - where the matching records are displayed. The search is based on four parameters (located in the main form), which are scored from 0 to 1 (passing through 0,25, 0,5 and 0,75). The results that appear in the subform are ranked and filtered according to the sum of those four criteria and corresponding scores. Now, my problem is very simple but so far I haven't found a solution that works: I want to validate the sum of those f...

mail will not open
when trying to open some...not all...emails I get the message "there was an error opening this message.....an error has occurred". This doesn't happen to all messages nor does it happen to all messages from the same sender. "velona" <velona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CFA4037-506D-4362-B110-13A9915D825A@microsoft.com... > when trying to open some...not all...emails I get the message "there was > an > error opening this message.....an error has occurred". > This doesn't happen to all messages nor doe...

show month number as month name in Excel?
I'm trying to format a field in an Excel Spreadsheet in such a way that it displays a month name rather than a month number. For Example, if a cell contains 8, I want the cell to show as August. Conditional formatting only allows me 3 levels of condtions and isn't therefore suitable. I don't think you're gonna be able to use formatting for this. But you could use a helper cell: =date(2005,a1,1) if A1 contained the month number. Format this cell as MMMM and you can keep the value as a real date. or =text(date(2005,a1,1),"MMMM") If you want the text string fo...

signing VBA Macros for Excel
Hi, Below is a question from one of my friend. would be great if someone can answer this "We have a requirement to sign VBA macros in Excel sheet, will only self-signed certificates work or any certificate installed in root certificates folder can be used, if yes how to install the server certificate to use in Excel VBA" -- Thanks, C.Prashanth C.Prashanth - http://vbadud.blogspot.com/2008/04/creating-digital-signature-for-vba.html - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com "C.Prashanth [MSFT]" <prashcha@online.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Date format #15
I did something in a spreadsheet where now anywhere I enter a date I get a 5 digit number instead of the date. If I click on the number, I can see the date in the edit window. When I try to format the cell it doesn't change. Can anyone tell me how to undue it? Try tools|options|view tab and uncheck formulas. You may have hit the shortcut key toggle (ctrl-`) control-backquote. It's to the left of the 1/! on my USA keyboard. Steve wrote: > > I did something in a spreadsheet where now anywhere I > enter a date I get a 5 digit number instead of the date. > If I click ...

Excel 2007 will not refresh cells
I am currently using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet that I want to use to do some analysis of various situations. So here is my problem. I have several columns that have totals at the bottom. I have no problem getting the columns to total initially. However, if I plug in another number in the column, the total stays the same and won't refresh or re-total the column. I don't recall that this was a problem when I worked with Excel 2003. Can someone please tell me how to get the totals to update when I enter some new numbers in the column? Thanks in advance for the...

subform will not refresh
I have a subform for jobs to be at list - when I am int the actual form it requeries and shows only the ones checked off - when I go to the mainform with the jobs to be at list as a subform - it does not refresh or requery unless I close and open back up again. I had added a refresh command button with the following code: DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRefresh when i press the refresh button it refreshes the job list to be at I add this code to the Onload of the Main form - don't want user to have to press refresh button but it doesn't refresh jobs to be at list unless press ...

Excel 2002 Color Printing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C59124.DB3F0E00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Printing in black and white only when the workbook has colored = background and colored letters and numbers. The "Print in black and = white is not checked". ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C59124.DB3F0E00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML>...

messages will not display on Outlook Express
I cannot get my messages to display the text of the message. I can send and receive, but when I actually try to open a message the message will pop up, but without text. The hourglass icon is displaying, seeming like it's trying to pull the message up but it never comes. Does anyone know what I should do? anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I cannot get my messages to display the text of the > message. I can send and receive, but when I actually try > to open a message the message will pop up, but without > text. ...

Can CRM be installed on a Windows 2003 Server running Sharepoint Services and Sharepoint Protal Server V2.0?
Will the standard install for CRM work on a Windows 2003 Server? Would there be any conflicts if the Windows 2003 server is already running Microsoft Project Server? Would there be any conflicts with Sharepoint Services V 2.0 or Sharepoint Portal Server V2.0? Bill Walter I attempted to run the CRM on 2003 Server, but quickly ran into issues accessing the workspace once installed. CRM 1.0 is not yet compatible with the .Net Framework 1.1 that's on 2003 Server "Bill Walter" <wqwalter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Os304M1RDHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... &g...

How do I limit the visible rows in Excel?
I want to hide everything in a worksheet except for the table into which I am asking others for input. Columns are easy, but how can I hide ALL the rows below my chart? I could colour them out in black, that would lead to printing issues. Help please! Tom, One way I like to restrict access is by defining a scroll area thus: Sub DefineScrollArea() ActiveSheet.ScrollArea = "MyCellRange" End Sub Once you run this macro, you can only move the cursor to a cell within this range. You can also use cell addressses instead of the "MyCellrange" range name Sub DefineSc...

Excel Worksheets collection
Greetings, all: I am in the midst of teaching some C# and I do not have Excel in front of me, but a student posed a question about how to refer to a given worksheet inside a workbook. Can I say something like this? exlApp.Workbooks(0).Worksheets(0)... to refer to the first worksheet of the first workbook? Can someone verify the syntax? Are these collections0-based or 1-based? -- Peace & happy computing, Mike Labosh, MCSD MCT Owner, vbSensei.Com "Escriba coda ergo sum." -- vbSensei Both collections are 1 based. The workbook indexing apparently depends on the order...

Outlook 2003
I can't seem to find a setting for this. I just installed Outlook 2003 and I have to click on SEND/RECEIVE to get my mail. In OutlookXP, I could set a timer for this to happen automatically. Is this timer setting still there? -- Bill McCarthy bmccarthy69@hotmail.com Try Tools/Options/Mail Setup/Send Receive "W P McCarthy" <BillMcCarthy@NorthCoastSystems.com> wrote in message news:OgtzALFvDHA.2260@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I can't seem to find a setting for this. > > I just installed Outlook 2003 and I have to click on SEND/RECEIVE to get my > mail. ...

Format of date field in CRM
I have just created an email template in CRM. I have put a date field that is specified as "date only" in the schema but when it is mail merged the date and time appears in the email. Is there a way to format these fields on merge ie only the date? I am aware that I could push the fields contents into a redundant text field "on save" and then hide the field "on load" but thought there may be a way to format these fields. ...

You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com
You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com ...

Is Excel causing me system problems?
I have a problem when I open certain spreadsheets that are on a server. My laptop slows to a crawl. I don't think it's an Excel problem, I think it may be more of an Excel configuration problem. I can't find anything in Excel that isn't right. It takes me 20 minutes just to open the file and another user can open it in 2 minutes. What might I look at in the system tools etc that could tell me specifically where my problem is? As in, do I need more memory or something like that. Thanks "Sandra" <ab@mdahospital.com> wrote in message news:%23Lk99e6OFHA.688@TK...

Excel is creating temp files Help!!!
Hi i have to files in excel, i cant figure it out, whenever i open th files, they create temp files into the same location, when i shut dow the program the temp files are left there. Is their a way to make it so temp files are not saved. Or is their a way to make it so that the creation of temp files i turned off. Thanks jaso -- greenfalco ----------------------------------------------------------------------- greenfalcon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1362 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26182 What do th...

with Publisher or Office.Will I be able to access old files docume
I am frustrated with my Open Office org. program for many reasons. I would like to use Publisher or Office or? Will I be able to access, email, documents etc files previously made on another program if I download Publisher or Office or ? Erica wrote: > I am frustrated with my Open Office org. program for many reasons. > I would like to use Publisher or Office or? > Will I be able to access, email, documents etc files previously made on > another program if I download Publisher or Office or ? Office applications cannot open OpenDocument files. You will have to convert them to O...

Disabled users in Exchange 2003/2000
Hello; Can anyone tell me what the default behavior is for disabled users in Exchange 2000 and 2003 . I alsways assumed all mail would bounce when the AD account is disabled. Looking at article it would seem that the desired behavior is to have the mailbox accept messages. A test account worked as intended, the message was bounced when the account is disabled. I am working with an Organization that has several hundred disabled accounts and they just found out that most of them are receiving mail. They want them to stop receiving mail, but have the mailboxes still accessible when needed. ...

Please help an Excel Newbie!
I am trying to use Excel to make a simple time tracker. This is th basic set up of my page: Cells A4-R4 contain # of hours worked per day, say 5:30 (Time) in eac cell. Cell A2 is a running total of A4-R4. This formula I have already done =SUM(A4:R4) Cell A3 is the % of a total # of hours available that A2 is. Fo example; A2 is 40 and the total available # of hours is 100 (which i A1) then A3 would be 40%. What would be the formula used to show the percentage of A1 that A2 i if A1 is a number such as 100 and A2 is in time format? When I forma A2 to time my % gets screwed up each time I t...

How do I expand the number of characters allowed in an Excel cell.
The default for maximum number of characters in a single Excel cell is 1024. If you enter more than that all you see is astricks (********). If you select the cell where the astericks show, you can read the information in the formula bar above. However, it does not print out well. I am importing web data from a Web Based Application into Excel and require a column for comments which normally falls below the default maximum. On those occassions it does not, it is a pain. I have run into this problem for quite a while and have finally decided to put it out there for the more advan...

Changing Time format in Date column
Hi, When I review email messages in Windows Live Mail I would like to see the time displayed in 24 hour format by each message. Ie, instead of Date: 05/03/2010 4:35 pm I would like it be shown as 05/03/2010 16:35. Any help from anyone would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks, Jon. "Jon" <Jon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54D681D7-2367-434B-AC7A-29AD80A4A828@microsoft.com... > When I review email messages in Windows Live Mail I would like to see the time displayed in 24 hour format by each message. Ie, instead of Date: 05/03/2010 4:35 pm...

Problem with changing a cell validation through VBA
Dear all, I have a problem with a macro which I have recorded in Excel. The macro comes with an error in running the recorded script. This error is: Run-time error '1004': Application-defined of object-defined error. This is the VBA-coding which has the problem: Range("A12").Validation _ .Modify xlValidateCustom, Formula1:=3D"=3DAND(COUNTIF($A$11:$A$52;$A12)<2;VLOOKUP($A12;PRODUCTS;3;F= =ADALSE)=3D""RED"")" Momentarily the cell has the same validation, only the Vlookup has to match "YELLOW". This rule has been manually ...