Why does the change change to a number?

Hi all,

I've noticed something wierd and always wondered WHY it happens.  When you
type a date into a cell, and then change the Formatting of it to a 'general'
cell, it turns into a number.  How does it come up with that number?  What is
the significance?

i.e. type today's date of "12/7/2007" - change it to a 'General' format, and
it then says "39423".

I'm a trainer of Excel and this question always comes up.  I'm curious
myself too.  Thanks!

Joe
0
AccessJoe (17)
12/7/2007 5:48:01 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It's the number of days since January zero 1900 using Excel default for
windows (Mac uses 1904), they copied that including the leap year bug from
Lotus when Lotus was the main contender in spreadsheets.

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Access Joe" <AccessJoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed something wierd and always wondered WHY it happens.  When you
> type a date into a cell, and then change the Formatting of it to a
> 'general'
> cell, it turns into a number.  How does it come up with that number?  What
> is
> the significance?
>
> i.e. type today's date of "12/7/2007" - change it to a 'General' format,
> and
> it then says "39423".
>
> I'm a trainer of Excel and this question always comes up.  I'm curious
> myself too.  Thanks!
>
> Joe

0
terre081 (3244)
12/7/2007 5:54:54 PM
I had a feeling it was something like that.  Thanks Peo!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> It's the number of days since January zero 1900 using Excel default for
> windows (Mac uses 1904), they copied that including the leap year bug from
> Lotus when Lotus was the main contender in spreadsheets.
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>

> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "Access Joe" <AccessJoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've noticed something wierd and always wondered WHY it happens.  When you
> > type a date into a cell, and then change the Formatting of it to a
> > 'general'
> > cell, it turns into a number.  How does it come up with that number?  What
> > is
> > the significance?
> >
> > i.e. type today's date of "12/7/2007" - change it to a 'General' format,
> > and
> > it then says "39423".
> >
> > I'm a trainer of Excel and this question always comes up.  I'm curious
> > myself too.  Thanks!
> >
> > Joe

0
AccessJoe (17)
12/7/2007 6:05:00 PM
And that will explain why =A2-A1 will give the number of days between two
dates
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

>I had a feeling it was something like that.  Thanks Peo!
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>
>> It's the number of days since January zero 1900 using Excel default for
>> windows (Mac uses 1904), they copied that including the leap year bug
>> from
>> Lotus when Lotus was the main contender in spreadsheets.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Peo Sjoblom
>>

>> "Access Joe" <AccessJoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I've noticed something wierd and always wondered WHY it happens.  When
>> > you
>> > type a date into a cell, and then change the Formatting of it to a
>> > 'general'
>> > cell, it turns into a number.  How does it come up with that number?
>> > What
>> > is
>> > the significance?
>> >
>> > i.e. type today's date of "12/7/2007" - change it to a 'General'
>> > format,
>> > and
>> > it then says "39423".
>> >
>> > I'm a trainer of Excel and this question always comes up.  I'm curious
>> > myself too.  Thanks!
>> >
>> > Joe

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

normalizing a column of numbers
How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing Mason, Use a helper column where you normalize your numbers using an appropriate formula prior to charting, and then chart that column with your normalizing formulas. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "mason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F1FB07-419B-4E41-87D3-25DB75E1EEDC@microsoft.com... > How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing. > &...

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row, how to?
How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? hi, i don't know if i understand your question correctly, =Sum(A1:A10) -- isabelle Le 2012-02-15 01:25, marsup a �crit : > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? On Feb 17, 11:30=A0am, isabelle <i...@v.org> wrote: > hi, > > i don't know if i understand your question correctly, > > =3DSum(A1:A10) > > -- > isabelle > > Le 2012-02-15 01:25,marsupa =E9crit : > > > > > > > > > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? Thanks Isabelle, I a...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Assign random numbers
Hello everyone I have a table with roughly 40000 records, that gets more records added weekly. From this table my staff work through each record and add a closed date when finalised. The table the staff are working off contains an "Investigated By" field which is linked to the staff members name on a seperate table, the default investigated by name is "Exception". At this point, only one person can work on the records at a time. The amount of records that get added weekly varies and I want to be able to allocate an employees name to each new record so that they show...

colour change of dated box

Page numbers in Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I cannot get Insert Page numbers to work in word, in documents elements when I choose Header, in other words, in any format. When I select Insert, etc. I get a grayed button reading "page" instead of the numbers. I even had an email response from Microsoft but their instructions did not correct the problem. They had me put several items in the trash, and finally restart. Nothing worked. It sounds to me like you simply may have toggled the display of Field Codes -- Try keying Option+F9 or go into the Head...

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2

Daylight saving time changes for Exchange 2003 server
Hi guys, I was wondering how other real life systems administrators are preparing for the upcoming “2007 global time zone update for Windows” (daylight time change for exchange 2003 server). I'd like to know what contingency plans are being planned out to implement this update and what practical ideas you think thus far are the best. I would greatly value your input. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx -Thanks! ...