Why does Excel lag Word in the simple stuff?

Like choosing the default file location in Office 2007?
Like having to alter basic Windows parameters just to change the default
type for comments?
Little stuff that says a lot about the quality of Microsoft programming and
interface design.
For several versions Microsoft said it was impossible, personal
correspondence, to have combo-boxes in Word forms without writing macros
although they were coded into Access.
Voila, combo-boxes achieve the impossible in Word 2007.
Ya gotta love (or something opposite) those guys . .
Either way you get to pay full OS prices for Vista SP3 aka Win 7.

0
fac_187 (8)
7/17/2009 3:25:05 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Excel
Text pasted into a cell from Word or other software will keep the formats including carriage returns, line numbers, tabs, etc. Can text be typed into a cell with control characters that will force this type of formating? -- mwaller If I understood your question correctly - you might try hitting Alt+Enter in order to go to a new line in the same cell Micky "mwaller" wrote: > Text pasted into a cell from Word or other software will keep the formats > including carriage returns, line numbers, tabs, etc. > Can text be typed into a cell with control charac...

Strange Borders Around Pictures in Word 2007 and Lack of Printing
Greetings, I've got a co-worker who's produced some Word documents that, when printed, don't do so consistently with respect to the images that he's placed in the document. These images are all identifiable by a different border on-screen in Word. You can see that border in the following screen shot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/369899/word-strange-img-border.png The slightly wider, rounded, gray border is different from the single-pixel black border that usually surrounds focused images like in this screen shot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/369899/word-normal-img-b...

How to export specific emails to excel?
I am stuck at a problem where I want to export emails with specific "TO" ( can be a Distribution List). And I expect the excel to have the email address of the sender and the time at which the email was received. Is there a way to do this? I have looked on several forums and sites, but unable to find something like this. My ultimate goal is to track the emails coming in my Microsoft outlook sent to me Distribution List and export them in an excel sheet. The objective is to look for the number of emails recieved and the time/date at which it was received.. I a...

newbie
I'm using ASP.net vb.net and I make calls to a c++ dll and get back xml results. I've worked with a simple parser before in VFP and am looking for something that works like what I've seen in the past. My return value will be a string like: "OK: <guest_no>123456789</guest_no>" So in the VFP environment I used a custom parser (which I didn't write) like: lcGuest_no = .parse( lcRetVal, "guest_no") and lcGuest_no would end up being a string containing "123456789" Now in the vb.net world I'm not sure how to achieve this. I've s...

Excel 2003: How to make transparent columns in Excel chart?
If you create a bar plot froma given dataset you can format the columns by right clicking and choosing the desired options. In the tab that opens there is a slider which is supposed tho set the level of transparency of the column (selceted area). But so far i couldn't find a way how to use this slider. I know that there is an alternative way to get transparent bars by creating a rectangular object formating it and the use copy -> paste. But i wonder what is the slider for if you can't use it? Does anybody know have an idea? Cheers, Thomas ...

Excel instance in Task Manager
I created instance of the Excel.Application as following On Error Resume Next Set objExcel = GetObject (,"Excel.Application") If err.number > 0 then CreateObject("Excel.Application") End if But the problem is that on closing of my VB application, I m terminating the excel instance as follow Set objExcel = Nothing But despite closure of the VB application, the excel instance remains in the Task Manager. After if I open any other work from Explorer or from my VB Application, the workbook dont become visible. Any suggestions... -------------------------------------...

Is there any way I can import a report design from excel?
Hi My client has designed his Delivery Notes in excel. Is there any way I can import this into access as a report design? Stapes No. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Stapes" <steve.staple@gmail.com> wrote in message news:64a0bb8a-98f5-4cb8-b436-c0cff3ff65c4@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > My client has designed his Delivery Notes in excel. Is there any way I > can import this into access as a report design? > > Stapes ...

Excel 2003 Inactive Tab Colours with Vista Aero
Does anyone know how to change the inacticve tab colours for Excel 2003 running in Vista with Aero colour scheme turned on. Excel 2007 is installed on the same PC and there is no problem with that, it is just 2003 - there is virtually no difference in colour between the active and inactive tabs and it makes it very difficult for grouping tabs (selecting an individual tab is not such a problem because the active tab has bold font in the name). David McRitchie's site http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm#tabs suggests the scrollbar colour affects the tab colours but that doesn'...

Free 'absolute beginners' guide for making charts using Excel
If you are want the ABC's of making charts and a new way to look at the chart-making process, try this free book at http://www.vgupta.com ...

Simple? Reference Question
Can I reference a value in a spreadsheet that is not open? I have 2 spreadsheets, 1 for the totals- and 1 for the values. I want the total spreadsheet to update when the value spreadsheet is updated. Do I need a macro to open the spreadsheet, grab the values and pull them into the total spreadsheet, and close the values? Thanks, Jesse No need for a macro- just open both files at once. Let's call them Source.xls and Target.xls: Target is the file your working on, and Source is the one that holds the data to be referenced. With both files open, start the formula in Target.xls, an...

Excel 2007 spreadsheet saved as DBF4
Just converted to Windows 7. My Excel spreadsheet .xls can't "save as DBF4" I was using Windows XP and had no problems. Help please. Mary, This has nothing to do with your version of Windows but with your version of Office (the two are not related) A Google search with "excel DBF converter" go many hits best wishes -- Bernard Liengme http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme Microsoft Excel MVP "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74C9B53F-2BE4-4A86-8717-1E79690A6493@microsoft.com... > Just converted to Windows 7. My ...

rounding to nearest hundred dollar in Excel
User wants to round up to nearest $100 dollar figure if it's over 50, or down to nearest $100 figure if it's under 50. For example, if they enter dollar figure of $1234.00, they want it rounded down to the nearest $100 dollar amount, which would be $1,200.00. Thanks. 50000? Since you say round up to nearest 100 if over 50 shouldn't 1234 round up to 1300? Or did you mean 50000? Regardsless round to nearest 100 is ROUND(x,100) round up is CEILING(x,100) so you can set it the way you want by testing the condition =IF(x>50,formula1,formula2 Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Diane&...

Problem with Excel 2003 and 2007 on same computer
I've always used the Office 2003 programs. But recently I decided to switch Outlook to the 2007 version. In the process. Office 2007 also installed the 2007 versions of Excel, Word, etc. So now I have both Excel 2003, and Excel 2007 on my Windows 7 home premium computer. I don=92t care at all for the ribbon and other features of Excel 2007. But occasionally, and seemingly randomly, my opening an old Excel file brings up 2007 Excel I know there=92s a setting to create an association between .XLS, .XLT etc.. and a particular program, in this case Excel 2003. But in Windows 7, what woul...

Word 2007 how to get data from forms to Excel
I have forms that have been filled out by various people and would like to export the data into an Excel worksheet. This seemed straightforward in Word 2003, but I cannot get it to work in Word 2007. The actual form is a Word 2003 document. When I save the file as a txt file (after Word options / Advanced / Preserve fidelity / check "save form data as delimited text file") it creates the delimited file, but it gets overwritten when I close the original filled form. Any ideas? Thanks. I am having a similar problem, but the "save form data as delimited text...

Inserting a Word doc does not preserve the imported files' layout.
Hi all! I have two Word documents. They both use the same template (.dot). Document 1 is built by managed code in vb. Document 2 is a document manually built - one page only, and has the following "structure": 1. (Topmost) A text box with black fill and white text. 2. (Beneath 1) Two collumns. Left has text only, right has a picture and some text boxes placed on the picture. 3. (Beneath 2) One collumn. Text only. 4. (Beneath 3) A logo 5. (Beneath 4) A text box with black fill and white text. When calling insert file either doing it manually in Word 2002 SP3 (I...

attach an excel workbook using send object method
I am sending emails from Access using SendObject and would like to attach an Excel workbook to the email. Any suggestions? -- Dar Hi Dar, SendObject will not work in this case, since it is only designed to send an object *within* the database (table, query, report, etc.). If you are using Outlook, you can try the method that I show on page 19 of a Word document that I call Access Links.doc. You are welcome to download a zipped copy, here: http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/ Tom Wickerath Microsoft Access MVP http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/ http://www.access.qbuilt.com/htm...

Simple question #2
For some reason, when people reply to anything I FORWARDED, the original sender of the email (the person that sent it to me) is getting the reply. Why? Thanks. Hi Amon, When you forward an email it retains all of its original characteristics INCLUDING the originators email address. Accordingly, if the person you sent the mail to then simply clicks the "Reply" button in Outlook then their message will go to the originator and NOT back to you. If they want to reply to you they will need to insert your email address. In effect, Outlook is working the way it was intended ...

A simple photosharing application written in asp
I d like to show you http://www.morecute.com It has been awesome runs on Fedora I wanted to share it early on so there is litte load on the server and the early adopter crowd can try it out thanks Jerry It is actually more than photosharing http://morecute.com/vote/400562/1 On Apr 21, 4:20 pm, "fri...@tempinbox.com" <fri...@tempinbox.com> wrote: > I d like to show youhttp://www.morecute.com > > It has been awesome runs on Fedora > > I wanted to share it early on so there is litte load on the server and > the early adopter crowd can try it out > > ...

Excel question #15
When using the scroll bar in Excel the screen blanks out - why? Might be a slow video card. Since Excel 2002 the screen is scrolled real time when you drag the scrollbars. Slower video cards might not be able to keep up. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Battlespace" <Battlespace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34DD582C-0BFD-40F7-B555-951CFF65B7C8@microsoft.com... | When using the scroll bar in Excel the screen blanks out - why? ...

copy and paste excel spreadsheet into autocad
My autocad drawing is linked to a excel spreadsheet. For fast updating. But the window displayed in autocad changes if I have more than on excel sheet. As I switch from auotcad to excel is there a way to permently save the excel window display and make another window display and alway keep the window the same as you switch from one software to the other ...

install excel 2002 on two computers
can i install the above on 2 computers. I tried and it tells you to register it or it will self destruct after so many uses. I have already registered it on 1 computer. lew boone LEWISBOONE@ peoplepc.com Lew I believe you mean "activate" rather than "register". Read the EULA. One computer. One installation. Two computers. Buy a second copy of Office. Gord Dibben XL2002 On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:38:48 -0800, "lew boone" <LEWISBOONE@peoplepc.com> wrote: >can i install the above on 2 computers. I tried and it >tells you to register it or it wi...

Is there way I can automatically have Excel change the scale om a.
I have an excel file, which I uses to make xy graphs but I change the value that are plotted. The graph does not rescale by itself so I have to keep on doing it manually. Is there a way to get Excel to automatically rescale? Jon Peltier has a couple of techniques that you could use: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Phil wrote: > I have an excel file, which I uses to make xy graphs but I change the value > that are plotted. The graph does not rescale by itself so I have to keep on > doing it manually. Is there a way to get Excel to automatic...

Does SP3 Break Excel 2002?
I have an Excel Spreadsheet that has a check box on it. After installing SP3, when I print the document the checkbox disappears. If I save the document at that point, the checkbox is gone. If I exit without saving, the checkbox stays. I have tried printing to different printers but I still have the same problem. I tried it on another computer with only sp2 and the same doc worked fine. I installed SP3 on the pc that was working and the problem showed up. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Steve Is it from the Control Toolbox - If so try setting the property to 'Move an...

How can I set up a pop-up calendar for 2010 in Excel?
for MS Office Excel 2003 if you send me email, i can send you something to try. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17F48E86-75A2-4B85-8EBE-904AB79CDA96@microsoft.com... > for MS Office Excel 2003 Hi Mary You can download one from this site :http://www.fontstuff.com/downloads/index.htm Take note that if you're not using MS Office Professional, you will need to download and install a file called MSCAL.ocx. See is notes at the buttom of the page. HTH John "Mary" <Mary@di...

Feeding MS Excell with MS Word data
Hi there! I need to know if it is possible to pass data from MS Word to MS Excell The data in MS Word is text, and I need to place some information in specific columns in an Excell Workbook Thanks Christian ...