why does =date always return the 1900-Jan-0

Hi,

I'm trying to understand why this occurs. I have read info regarding
serial dates, how excel stores dates etc but can't find an answer to
this. It has cropped up while using criteria in advanced filters - I
would have expected to be able to filter on =date. I can get round it
by using two date criteria i.e. >=date and <=date but it just seems odd
that use of =date returns 00/01/00.

If I change to 1904 date system it becomes 01/01/04

Any ideas?

Thanks

excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try using

=DATE(year,month,day)

or referring to a cell with the date of interest.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"shazmar" <gillian.mcd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to understand why this occurs. I have read info regarding
> serial dates, how excel stores dates etc but can't find an answer to
> this. It has cropped up while using criteria in advanced filters - I
> would have expected to be able to filter on =date. I can get round it
> by using two date criteria i.e. >=date and <=date but it just seems odd
> that use of =date returns 00/01/00.
>
> If I change to 1904 date system it becomes 01/01/04
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

0
Bernie
10/6/2006 3:01:45 PM
Thanks - yes both of those are fine.

I'm still at a loss as to why entering =somedate (i.e. =07/10/06)
returns the first system date. I've tried it in Excel 2000, 2002 and
2003. With filtering using =somedate as a criteria seems such a logical
request?

On 5 Oct 2006 15:05:43 -0700, "shazmar" <gillian.mcd@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to understand why this occurs. I have read info regarding
>serial dates, how excel stores dates etc but can't find an answer to
>this. It has cropped up while using criteria in advanced filters - I
>would have expected to be able to filter on =date. I can get round it
>by using two date criteria i.e. >=date and <=date but it just seems odd
>that use of =date returns 00/01/00.
>
>If I change to 1904 date system it becomes 01/01/04
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks

Excel stores dates as serial numbers You must have the Name "date" defined as
equal to zero.  Otherwise you would get a #NAME! error.  Day 0 is defined as
you note above in the two different systems.

If you are not using the word date, but rather referring to some cell in which
you have stored a date, then the contents of that cell are evaluating to zero.
In other words, it may look like a date, but so far as Excel is concerned, it
is not a date.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3123)
10/6/2006 4:39:19 PM
Gillian,

Yes, it is very logical to expect that, but whoever accused Excel of being _completely_ logical?

Entering =7/10/6 means to Excel "divide 7 by 10 and then that number by 6. ( That's what the equal
sign does.) Just entering 7/10/6 in a cell causes Excel to treat it as a date, but entering 33/42/6
in a cell gets treated as a string, since there is a "date entry interpretation engine", for lack of
a better term.  In filters, you need to be a bit more precise about what you mean, since there is no
"engine" like in cell entry.

> Thanks - yes both of those are fine.
>
> I'm still at a loss as to why entering =somedate (i.e. =07/10/06)
> returns the first system date. I've tried it in Excel 2000, 2002 and
> 2003. With filtering using =somedate as a criteria seems such a logical
> request?
>
> Bernie Deitrick wrote:
>> Try using
>>
>> =DATE(year,month,day)
>>
>> or referring to a cell with the date of interest.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "shazmar" <gillian.mcd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to understand why this occurs. I have read info regarding
>> > serial dates, how excel stores dates etc but can't find an answer to
>> > this. It has cropped up while using criteria in advanced filters - I
>> > would have expected to be able to filter on =date. I can get round it
>> > by using two date criteria i.e. >=date and <=date but it just seems odd
>> > that use of =date returns 00/01/00.
>> >
>> > If I change to 1904 date system it becomes 01/01/04
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
Bernie
10/6/2006 4:51:09 PM
Thanks for the replies - got it!

Bernie Deitrick wrote:
> Gillian,
>
> Yes, it is very logical to expect that, but whoever accused Excel of being _completely_ logical?
>
> Entering =7/10/6 means to Excel "divide 7 by 10 and then that number by 6. ( That's what the equal
> sign does.) Just entering 7/10/6 in a cell causes Excel to treat it as a date, but entering 33/42/6
> in a cell gets treated as a string, since there is a "date entry interpretation engine", for lack of
> a better term.  In filters, you need to be a bit more precise about what you mean, since there is no
> "engine" like in cell entry.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "shazmar" <gillian.mcd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks - yes both of those are fine.
> >
> > I'm still at a loss as to why entering =somedate (i.e. =07/10/06)
> > returns the first system date. I've tried it in Excel 2000, 2002 and
> > 2003. With filtering using =somedate as a criteria seems such a logical
> > request?
> >
> > Bernie Deitrick wrote:
> >> Try using
> >>
> >> =DATE(year,month,day)
> >>
> >> or referring to a cell with the date of interest.
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> Bernie
> >> MS Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "shazmar" <gillian.mcd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Outlook CRM 3.0 asking for password
Hi folks, if got a problem with one client machine running on Windows XP (SP2 + IE7) working with Outlook 2003 and the CRM Sales Client 3.0. User is working with the client in outlook and managing his activities and so on, then suddenly when choosing any crm interaction the user is prompted to enter his username and password. The crm-site is entered within the local sites of the Internetexplorer and working with the crm web fronted is also working fine, only problems are within the outlook plugin. Can anyone help me with this? Best regards, Daniel This is for all users or just one ...

filter by date and action

911: v3.0 and v1.2 appointments
hi all, currently we are having problems when synchronzing appointments belonging to our previous v1.2 environment being upgraded to v3.0. newly created appointments, done in v3.0, do not face a problem. how can we identify these old 1.2 appointments (sql script, etc.)? thanks in advance, fritz -- Fritz Theiss The v1.2 Outlook appointments/contacts/tasks should upgraded over properly via the v3.0 Outlook Client setup. Did it just affacted the appointments? Here is a way to list out the v1.2 appointments: Outlook Calender>>view appointment list (similar to contact list), add co...

Transaction Date VS Business Date

Post Dated Checks

0 < F6 < 12
Can I use this in an IF formula? rather than F6>0,F6<12. Thanks, Michelle are you a C programmer?? I don't think that will work.. have to use AND function AND(0<F6,F6<12) "Michelle P" wrote: > Can I use this in an IF formula? rather than F6>0,F6<12. > > Thanks, > Michelle OK, thanks. What's a C programmer? "TomHinkle" wrote: > are you a C programmer?? > > I don't think that will work.. have to use AND function > > AND(0<F6,F6<12) > > > > "Michelle P" wrote: > > ...

strange date format problem

How to sort by name then date?

Email Template Problem
Hi, I'm having an issue with using email templates. When I try using them, the messages are sent just fine, except that the Greeting in the message contains my name (the sender) instead of the name of the person the email is going to. This happens on the built in templates that came with CRM as well as some that I have created. For example....I'm Dan, and if I send a message to Joe using a template, Joe would see something like this: Dear Dan, Welcome to CRM....blah blah blah. Sincerely, Dan The field that is auto populated after "Dear" is this: {!User:First Nam...

if statement with dates #2

Counting Dates?

sending email returned
A lot of our email gets returned, I think the remote mail server thinks we are spamming. Here is the problem We changed our company name and therefore our outgoing email domain is different than our AD domain How do I changed what exchange server calls itself ...? Meaning, mail which is received from my mail server is from wat-dc1.domain1.ca ([65.93.237.66]) but my outgoing mail is from domain2.ca. I think it may do some reverse lookup or something and determine that domain2.ca isn't on this IP address. So I need to somehow hack in somewhere when exchange sends email to remote hosts that ...

An expression for dates from and to

CRM Outlook Client 3.0
Since installing the Outlook client my Exchange server has been running close to 99% of the CPU. If I disable the addin then everything runs fine. It seems to be only 2 specific users creating the problem. I've tried one of the user on a clean install on another PC and still have the same issue. If I run Outlook in Cache mode than it is the clients CPU and hardrive that are extremely busy. I've open a case with Microsoft over 2 weeks now and have yet to get a resolution. Hoping someone out there has an idea. We're using Outlook 2003 SP2, Windows XP SP2 Also same issue runni...

Returning only MAX(date) not all dates
I want to be able to list the most current date an item is checked out. As I was working through the query I used max as an aggregate function but I still can't get the simple result I want. I'd rather list the fields I have chosen and somehow select just the most current checkout date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my query: SELECT tblTerritory.TerritoryID, [TerritoryName] & " " & [TerritoryDescription] AS Description, tblTerritory.TerritoryTypeID, tblTerritoryType.TerritoryType, Max(tblTerritoryCheckout.DateCheckedOut) AS Checked...

OL 2007, WLM, and return receipts
I am using Outlook 2007 to read my Windows Live mail using the Microsoft Office Outlook Connector version 12.0.6237.1003 (23 July version). When I read a mail where the sender has requested a return receipt, I am not getting a prompt for sending it nor does one get sent. For all my other accounts (IMAP), it does work as expected (a prompt and a receipt being delivered). Using Windows Live Mail, however, the return receipt function works as expected with the Windows Live Mail account. I'd rather use Outlook 2007 for all my mail handling and would like to give the sender a receipt w...

Delete or stop return receipts ?
Using Outlook 2003, is there any way that you can set it up to never return email receipts when the sender requests them ? About half the time I click NO, but others I miss it as the cursor comes up already pointed to YES and I hit the return to fast not thinking. I know this is not a OE group, but does anyone know about the same subject with OE ? -- Tedd Riggs PDA Square Content Developer www.pdasquare.com --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.562 / Virus Database: 354 - Release Date: 1/17/04 There is an op...

Porting Security Setting from GP 9.0 to GP 10.
Hi, Many of my customers are in the midst of upgrading to GP 10. One of the biggest hurdles is the security/access setting. How can I convert the security setting from GP 9 to GP 10 in a way that's as painless as possible? Do I have to do it user by user? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Saras delete it in 9 and migrate then recreate in 10 saved us a lot of misery.. "Saras" wrote: > Hi, > > Many of my customers are in the midst of upgrading to GP 10. One of the > biggest hurdles is the security/access setting. How can I convert...

System Date
Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of "Date" type? I could not find any help on msdn that comes with visual c++. Any hint or help will be appreciated. Thanks, Behrouzk Are you just trying to get the current date. You can use CTime::GetCurrentTime() or COleDateTime::GetCurrentTime() Tom "Behrouzk" <Behrouzk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8FA4B6B-73CE-4058-B50C-C9BEBAB67E68@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help me on how to force the system date to a member field of > "Date" type? I could not fi...

4.0 vpc expires
When the new vpc image of crm 4.0 will be ready to download, any idea? The current version is expired a few days ago. On Jun 16, 4:57=A0pm, crmguy <crm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When the new vpc image of crm 4.0 will be ready to download, any idea? Th= e > current version is expired a few days ago. https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/deployment/methodology/vpc/MSD_CRM4= VPCApril09 Can you check this lik regards Rakesh Agarwal Thank you. "rakesh" wrote: > On Jun 16, 4:57 pm, crmguy <crm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > When t...

RMS1.2-GP8.0 Integration
Iam facing a critical issues regarding one of my implementation of GP 8.0 and RMS 1.) when will the integration utility between RMS and GP9.0 will be released. ? 2.) HQ db is on one server while GP db is on another server. When we try to link the 2 databases using the above utility which makes use of Linked server technology, we are not able to do so? Please note our architecture is such that 2 dbs has to reside on separate server . 3.) When we did a test integration with the sample HQ db with sample GP TWO db ( in this case residing on same server ) everything goes fine except ...