When using general format for a cell, numbers appear with decimals

I'm working in a new workbook.

When I type in a number like 535, it shows up in the cell as 5.35

The format of the cell is General and not number.  Even the example that
shows up when looking at the cell format shows the decimal.  This shouldn't
be happening.  Any suggestions?
0
Simmian (2)
8/14/2006 4:33:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I may have found it.  The tools/options/Edit tab    Fixed decimal checkbox.....

"Simmian" wrote:

> I'm working in a new workbook.
>
> When I type in a number like 535, it shows up in the cell as 5.35
>
> The format of the cell is General and not number.  Even the example that
> shows up when looking at the cell format shows the decimal.  This shouldn't
> be happening.  Any suggestions?
0
Simmian (2)
8/14/2006 4:45:02 PM
Tools>Options, Edit tab, uncheck Fixed decimal

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Simmian" <Simmian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0DC7AA8-62FD-425F-BDE1-CB928925AED1@microsoft.com...
| I'm working in a new workbook.
|
| When I type in a number like 535, it shows up in the cell as 5.35
|
| The format of the cell is General and not number.  Even the example that
| shows up when looking at the cell format shows the decimal.  This shouldn't
| be happening.  Any suggestions?

0
nicolaus (2022)

VBA: move to the next cell down from anywhere in the sheet
I am deleting rows based on a value in a column (< 16) and if the valu is 16 or greater I want to move down to the next row and check tha value and so on. i am using a Do Until value = "". What is the code for moving down to the next cell below ActiveCell -- jm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2903 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48770 Activecell.Offset(1,0).Select I would not recommend this though. If you want to dele...

character limit in cell?
I merged several cells and entered text. I have it set to 'wrap text' so it will all fit in the merged cells. If the text is only 1/2 of the third row it is all displayed. However, if I enter any more text than that it displays as '#######'. Is there a limit on the number of characters I can enter? Can that be changed. There is still room in the merged cells to hold more text. Abby, You don't seem to be getting any takers on this one. ####, to my knowledge, shows up only when you have a number in a cell (not text), and it's too big to display in its entir...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Add times, convert to number not time of day?
Okay, this should be pretty simple. 17:24:00 + 00:24:00 = 7 5:00 PM + 9:30 PM = 4.5 That's what i'm trying to achieve. A start time, a finish time, and the time it took between them. Not a clock time of 5pm + 9pm = 2am How can this be done? thanks, Benjamin i forgot, i might want to add this in. I did this: a1 - 9:30 a2 - 10:00 a3 = a2-a1 the result is .02 ??? =MOD(B1-A1,1) format as hh:mm or [h]:mm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "spezticle" <spezticle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7093FF53-BA3B-4003-B4D3-65941455C6FB@microsoft.com... >...

Go Offline in Outlook fails with SQL General Error
Hello After sometimes going offline in Outlook CRM Client I get an SQL General Error and the process cancels. I can repair that using the Diagnose program of the CRM Client. There I saw an message which says Outlook Client Subcription is corrupt. In the Eventlog I found following Error Message: Ereignistyp: Fehler Ereignisquelle: MSCRMOfflineSync Ereigniskategorie: Keine Ereigniskennung: 6000 Datum: 21.05.2008 Zeit: 18:10:13 Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend Computer: NB169 Beschreibung: An error occurred during Offline Synchronization. Try going offline again, or restart Microsoft Outlook. So...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Printing Problems (cells printing on top of one another)
When printing cells are merged together like the they have been shifted up half a row height. This problem is restriced to one user on one system (Windows 2000 Pro and Office 2000). The problem is same on a single sheet workbook or a multi sheet workbook. The printer setting keep reverting back to 11 sheet tall by 1 sheet wide. This produces an unclear image through print preview. You can manually reset the default to 1 sheet wide by 1 sheet long which corrects the print preview but not the printed output. I avoid merged cells like the plague - full of problems. I guess that you ...

Formula staying as a formula in a cell?
Does anyone know why a formula stays a formula in a cell? I know that using the aspostrophe makes it like a string, like '=blah+blah, but this one doesn't...I even have made the cell General and made sure that calculate automatic was selected. This thing is driving me nuts. Any suggestions??? You can't just format the cell as general if it was text to start with. You need to format as general AND then hit F2 and then enter. the other possibility is that you have the Formulas view turned on in Tools / Options / View Tab / Uncheck Show Formulas in Window options. Ideally you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Conditional Formating #18
Dear all, I would like to apply a conditional formating to fill with a red colour some Excel cells when the computer calendar gets some date, I would like to fill that cells when "best before date" of some pruducts gets that date with the computer calendar. Thanks a lot. Pedro Mestre One way: If cell A1 is active: CF1: Formula is =TODAY()>=A1 Format1: Patterns/red In article <13BD3AC5-9DFE-4C53-BA91-440BC506B82E@microsoft.com>, Pedro Mestre <PedroMestre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I would like to apply a condition...

High number of page faults per second, but has enough memory?
Hi, I'm having a problem with an application, it easily has enough physical RAM but it's generating a very large number of page faults (2000 per second). Does anyone know why this might be? ...

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Average of Numbers in Top 5
How do I tell excel to look at only the top x numbers in a list of values? For example, if I have 100 scores and I want Excel to calculate the average of the top 10 scores, how do I do that? Thanks One way =AVERAGE(LARGE($A$1:$A$100,ROW(INDIRECT("1:10")))) entered with ctrl + shift & enter regards, Peo Sjoblom "Jake" wrote: > How do I tell excel to look at only the top x numbers in a list of values? > For example, if I have 100 scores and I want Excel to calculate the average > of the top 10 scores, how do I do that? > > Thanks =AVERAGE(LA...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Recalc of SUM() that refers to a cell across a range of worksheets
I'm using Excel 2003 w/ SP2 and have encountered a problem I don't recall having before. I have a workbook where a summary sheet is used to aggregate the values in each of the cells in the rest of the sheets by using a formula with following syntax: =sum('sheet1:sheetx'!Cn), where "sheet1" is the name of the first sheet in the range of contiguous sheets, "sheetx" is the name of the last sheet in that range, "C" is the pertinent column letter for a cell (the columns in this workbook represent years) and "n" is the pertinent row numb...