When I reference a cell in a separate list, I am unable to sort that list and keep the reference. Any suggested solutions?

I have noticed that when I reference a cell (eg, in worksheet 1) from
a list (eg, in Worksheet 2) in another spreadsheet, and then sort the
list (in Worksheet 2), that I lose me reference (in worksheet 1). Does
anyone know how I can alter the reference, or user settings so that I
can avoid this problem?

Thanks for any suggestions!
0
js2k111 (48)
2/15/2008 6:42:41 AM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Mike

Instead of pointing to the cell in the second sheet, can you make the entry
a Vlookup of some value from the other sheet.
Then it will find the correct value, even after sorting.
For example, if column A of Sheet1 had Names, and column B was using your
existing reference to find a value belonging to that Name from Sheet2, you
could use
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A:$B,2,0)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Mike C" <js2k111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have noticed that when I reference a cell (eg, in worksheet 1) from
> a list (eg, in Worksheet 2) in another spreadsheet, and then sort the
> list (in Worksheet 2), that I lose me reference (in worksheet 1). Does
> anyone know how I can alter the reference, or user settings so that I
> can avoid this problem?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

0
Roger
2/15/2008 12:52:34 PM
On Feb 15, 6:52=A0am, "Roger Govier"
<roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk> wrote:
> Hi Mike
>
> Instead of pointing to the cell in the second sheet, can you make the entr=
> a Vlookup of some value from the other sheet.
> Then it will find the correct value, even after sorting.
> For example, if column A of Sheet1 had Names, and column B was using your
> existing reference to find a value belonging to that Name from Sheet2, you=

> could use
> =3DVLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A:$B,2,0)
>
> --
> Regards
> Roger Govier
>
> "Mike C" <js2k...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > I have noticed that when I reference a cell (eg, in worksheet 1) from
> > a list (eg, in Worksheet 2) in another spreadsheet, and then sort the
> > list (in Worksheet 2), that I lose me reference (in worksheet 1). Does
> > anyone know how I can alter the reference, or user settings so that I
> > can avoid this problem?
>
> > Thanks for any suggestions!- Hide quoted text -

Ok, thanks Roger.  I should have thought of that. I will give it a
shot.

00/01/1900 In the date cell when linked cell is empty?
Hi I have 52 worksheets all linked up to a total sheet that is working very well thanks to RD All I need to do now is sort out the date this is copied from sheet1 onto the totals page and works fine when the date is put into sheet1. However if the cell is blank on sheet2 the date is put into the totals sheet as 00/01/1900 when the date is put in sheet2 all is well with the right date entered into the totals sheet. So how do I get the totals date to stay blank until the weekly sheets have a date put into the sheet please. the format I am using is below many thanks for all the help I ...

Unable to access database simultaneously
hi, we have migrated the machines from one domain to another. after that users are not able to access the access database simultaneously. please suggest ...

Need to reference a block of cells from another sheet.
Dear All, apologies if this is probably a mundane question, but I didn't know what 'search terms' to put in google to return any results.. I've got a Spreadsheet with 12 tabs (sheets), I need part of tab 12 (sheet) to appear on tabs 1-11 (sheets), so that if I change data in tab 12 (sheet), tabs 1-11 (sheets) are changed too.. the cells themselves will never move location, just the data within them.. Is it possible? Regards Paul. On your sheet1 select the cell that should receive the data from Sheet12; Hold down the Shift key and Click on Sheet11 << this shoul...

Cell Value as Named Range Reference
Little bit of a quirky question... Trying to use a cell value as a reference in a formula, where that cell value is the name of a named range. So, assume A1:A3 is a named range: Rng1. And, B1:B3 is Rng2. I want to get the correlation vale for A1:A3 and B1:B3 So, cell D1 contains "Rng1" and D2 has "Rng2"; and cell D3 has the formula: =correl(D1,D2). But I get an error. Have also tried using Indirect to no avail. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you. =CORREL(INDIRECT(D1),INDIRECT(D2)) -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "ste...

Unable to access any Outlook info offline
My company recently switched from Lotus Notes to Outllok through Microsoft Exchange server. I am able to access all of my Outlook files online, but if I attempt to do so offline, I get a message: "unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The information store could not be opened." Can anyone suggest a simple fix for this? Thanks, Bill Was the profile setup for offline storage? (Assuming that you are running Outlook 97 or Outlook 98/2000 Corporate/Workgroup, see Tools | Services | Highlight Microsoft Exchange | Properties...

I need to increase a number which is held in a cell by 1
How do i increase a cell which has a number in it, eg, cell a8 has 4 i want to run a If statment that looks at another cell and if true i want cell a8 to increse to 5 You need VBA. The code is simple in itself (Range("A1").Value = Range("A1").Value + 1), but what will trigger the addition to happen. -- HTH ------- Bob Phillips "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:106609F3-2295-4FDC-8ED2-CA9E29D2FA3B@microsoft.com... > How do i increase a cell which has a number in it, eg, cell a8 has 4 > i want to run a If sta...

refering to a name range area as a reference value multiple times on a worksheet at different locations
i was wondering if i had posted this in the right section as it could apply to both please could you take a look at the following post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/f088a5737dd26570 thank you Is there some reason you can't post your question here instead of asking us to look elsewhere? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Blinds Nottingham" <bradrail.blinds.awnings@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:d8768e43-e035-45eb-856a-0ccdc843441d@g1g2000yqi.googlegroup...

moving to next cell using "Enter"
With Excel XP (Windows EX also) Excel seems to have a problem remembering what direction to move the focus when the Enter key is hit. Is there a fix or a way of keeping it the same? Thanks -- Joseph Meehan Dia duit Hi, Go to Tools->Options and choose Edit tab. In that choose the direction of the Enter key to the way you want. Govind. Joseph Meehan wrote: > With Excel XP (Windows EX also) Excel seems to have a problem > remembering what direction to move the focus when the Enter key is hit. Is > there a fix or a way of keeping it the same? > >...

Could someone please help me with a solution to my problem?
Could someone please help me with a solution to my problem...? In column X I have finishing position last run In column Y I have finishing position penultimate run What I am trying to do is find how many times the finishing position in both the last run and penultimate run was 1st 2nd or 3rd I have been trying this formula... =SUMPRODUCT(('Cheltenham 1992-2010'!$X$2:$X$820<=3)*('Cheltenham 1992-2010'!$Y$2:$Y$820<=3)) but it appears to be returning all instances of finishing position equal or less that three, where I only want it to return when the fini...

What is IVA# in Distribution Reference and Reference?
We did an inventory adjustment and now we get a unknown amount in Debit under the Inventory account and Credit for COGS account in the Transaction Entry Zoom. We're trying to figure out where that amount came from but we couldn't zoom more than what it's currently shown. In both fields, Reference and Distribution Reference, it's shown IVA#######... that is unknown to or setup by us in anywhere, i.e. Audit Trail, Source Document. Does this amount affect the dollar in the accounts mentioned? And can anyone please help to where we could drill down the IVA details?...

protecting a group of cells not a whole worksheet
I would like to protect a group of cells and not a whole worksheet but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. I think this would be the best way for what I am wanting to do. I have a spreadsheet that I send to 13 people. They make changes and send back to me and then I have to up-date the changes. If I could protect all the cells except for the one they enter in - then I could save the file on a shared drive and it would eliminate me up-dating. Is there a way to do this? Hi select the cells for which you want to allow entries. After this goto 'Format - cells - Protection&...

How to move cells to a another Cell?
Hello, I hope someone can help me on this. I am trying to move cells from a group into a top cell, the initial view of column A (very simplistic) of the cell looks like this: 1 2 3 4 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 1 1 2 3 What I want to do is to move 2 3 4 from the first group to the cell that contains the 1 (first entry) and continue with the rest of the cells so at the end columnA will look like this: 1 2 3 4 1 2 2 2 333 1 123 The cells vary in lenght and I have several spreasheets with LARGE amounts of data that I have to processed, so I am hoping that there is a macro (VB) that is able to do th...

Unable to register downloaded purchase of Money Premium 2006
I purchased Money Premium 2006 via a popup in Money Premium 2005. Almost every time I start the program now it pops up saying I have not registered it for special offers, but when I try to register it I get a message stating: Thank you for taking the time to enter your information. Unfortunately, the server could not be contacted. Microsoft Money will save the information you entered and you can try to upload your information again later. Please click OK to continue working in Money. This has been happening since I purchased it and is starting to get really annoying. Is anyone els...

Image in a cell
Is it possible to place an image in a cell? If so, can you tell me how to do it? No. Images are placed in the Drawing Layer "above" the worksheet. Cells can contain formulae or data. If you size an image to exactly cover a cell, you can set the Move and Size with Cells property (right-click on the image, choose Format Picture/Properties and select the appropriate radio button) so that the image remains "on top" of the cell. In article <6463B5FA-3D07-43B9-90EE-7A5143977C1B@microsoft.com>, "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is ...

List all users with Send AS rights
Hello All, I need to find a utility or script that will show all users who have the Send AS right enabled. I have looked at the script in Microsoft KB Article 912918 and it list all users who have full mailbox rights but do not have Send AS rights. What I need is to list only the users who do have Send AS rights. Is there anyhting that will tell me who has Send AS rights? -- RS MCSE, MCP +I MCP See if this helps. Auditing Send-as and Receive As rights via script http://gsexdev.blogspot.com/2005/12/auditing-send-as-and-receive-as-rights.html James Chong Rschraeger wrote: > Hel...

how do I merge two adjacent cells and keep the data from both cell
To take it a step further, I also need the formats to remain the same. ie...the left column data is Left-text-justified, and the right column is Right-text-justified. =A1 & " " & B1 -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "johncaleb" <johncaleb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E182C58A-A577-43ED-9C90-46E58767E7CB@microsoft.com... > To take it a step further, I also need the formats to remain the same. > ie...the left column data is Left-text-justified, and the right column is > Right-text-justified. ...

more than 4 color choses for cell/colum
I an new to excess so please show me how this is to be done I would like to put a letter in a cell but all in the same colum. "A" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "B" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "C" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "D" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "E" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) thanks jladika@millenniumimagingfl.com jo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi only possible with VBA as conditional formating only supports 3 conditi...

macro button refers to prev. workbook?
Hi, When I create a macro in Excel, and assign a button to it, it works fine the first time, but when I re-open the workbook for a second time, and try to run the macro again, the macro seems to refer to the previous workbook...For some reason, the macro saves the name of the previous workbook... Sub test() ' Dim name As String Dim adress As String Sheets("sheet1").Select Range("A1").Select name = ActiveSheet.Range("B6").Value adress = ActiveSheet.Range("B4").Value ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Temp...

Data Validation in cell
Hi I have a sales order form with the equipment on the second sheet as "PartNo" "Description" "Cost" selected each column of data then clicked in the cellname box and called them "PartNo" "Description" "Cost" On the sales order form I have the columns "Qty" PartNo" "Description" "Serial No" "QtyDes" "Price" Total" I have set up data validation for the description as a list with =Description what I want it to do is display the part no in the part number Column and the cost in...

Unable to edit custom dictionary within Word 2008
The first time I tried to edit my custom dictionary (I had accidentally entered a misspelled word) in Word 2008, the Edit button was available, but I was unable to click in and actually edit the list of words that came up. I temporarily gave up and resumed my spellcheck to finish the document. Then I tried again to edit the custom dictionary. Now the Edit button is dimmed, and the only way I can edit the custom dictionary is through the finder (by opening the file in a text editor). No matter which document I open or how many times I relaunch Word, this problem persists. Any suggestions? On...

Empty Cells #3
I export data from a program called OpenView Service Desk into a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is then imported into Access and queries performed on the imported data. This data is then copied and pasted into a different spreadsheet where calculations are performed. In one particular spreadsheet there are 2 columns, one complete with data (no empty cells) and the other which may contain empty cells. I need to count the number of "empty cells" however the problem is, these cells, although they appear empty, are not. I need to but cannot find the content(s) of this cell(s). How do I fi...

Account list balance incorrect
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I noticed a similar post regarding a different version of Money and it seemed to me that more infomation on the problem might result in a more specific answer. I recently installed Money 2004. I noticed that for several accounts the balance listed on the Account List page is incorrect. When I check the register for these accounts, I find the correct balance. The downloaded balance-that is, cleared transactions-is correct; today's balance-that is, the balance above the black line in the register-is correct, and ending balance-includ...

deleting duplicated cells in a list via advanced autofilter?
I have a list which I would like to filter and deleted duplicate records. A1: A250= account numbers B1:""= values C1:"" = loan balances D1:"" = notes I'd like to be able to delete the duplicate account numbers but stil show the value, loan balances, and notes that belong to the accounts. Can anyone help. Thanks. Pete: -- petevan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- petevang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2503 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadi...

Column and Row reference
How do i hide the column and row reference number in a sheet, when viewing the worksheet i do not to show the top and right hand side references Dave Tools>Options>View. Uncheck "row and column headers". Good idea to spend a few minutes browsing through the various Tools>Options tabs to see what else is available to toggle on/off. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:53:02 -0700, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do i hide the column and row reference number in a sheet, when viewing the worksheet i do not to show the top an...

How do Macro to EDIT cells?
Am using MS Excel XP (2002). All I want to do is a short macro to, in effect, press F2 (to EDIT the cell), then let's say delete the first character of the cell and change it to let's say X, like this... Before: _Mary Jones *Joe Smith %Peter Rabbbit After: XMary Jones XJoe Smith XPeter Rabbbit I just want to put the cursor on a given cell, click CNTL-A to run the macro, and have it change one cell at a time. There are reasons why I can't use the search and replace. Problem is... if I record the macro (turn it on, press the key sequences, F2, Home, Delete, X, GoDownOneCell, ...