What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel? Hi all, My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive... Is there a w

What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?

Hi all,

My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
(boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...

Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
so that they toggle all at once?

Thanks!
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I can't tell you whether this is a "best way" to do what you want or not,
but it is "a way" to do it. It doesn't use a key short-cut, rather it uses a
right mouse click. Go into the VB editor and double click on ThisWorkbook in
the Project window, then copy/paste this code into the code window that
appeared...

Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeRightClick(ByVal Sh As Object, _
                     ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  Dim C As Range
  Dim NotTorF As Range
  On Error GoTo Whoops
  Application.EnableEvents = False
  For Each C In Target
    If C.Text = "TRUE" Or C.Text = "FALSE" Then
      C.Value = Not C.Value
    ElseIf NotTorF Is Nothing Then
      Set NotTorF = C
    Else
      Set NotTorF = Union(NotTorF, C)
    End If
  Next
  If Not NotTorF Is Nothing Then
    Cancel = False
    NotTorF.Select
  Else
    Cancel = True
  End If
Whoops:
  Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Now, go back to the sheet and select any combination of TRUE and FALSE cells
and right click in the selection (you do not have to restrict yourself to
processing all TRUEs first and then all FALSEs afterward... if the cell in
the selection contains either TRUE or FALSE, that value will be flipped to
its opposite). Note the the normal context menu is suppressed for the TRUE
and FALSE cells; however, if you select non TRUE or FALSE cells, they will
still pop up the context menu. Also, if you mix TRUE or FALSE cells with non
TRUE or FALSE cells, the TRUE and FALSE cells will be removed from the
selection and a context menu will popup for the remaining cells.

Rick

"LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?
>
> Hi all,
>
> My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
> (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...
>
> Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
> so that they toggle all at once?
>
> Thanks!

One way is this:

1.  In a *standard* module paste:
Declare Function GetKeyState Lib "User32.dll" (ByVal NVirtKey As Long) As
Integer

2.  In the worksheet's class module paste this:
Const VK_SHIFT = &H10

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As
Boolean)
Dim c As Range
If GetKeyState(VK_SHIFT) < 0 Then
    Cancel = True
    For Each c In Selection.Cells
        If VarType(c.Value) = vbBoolean Then
            c.Value = Not c.Value
        End If
    Next
    Set c = Nothing
End If
End Sub

3.  Select the cells and hold down the Shift key when right clicking to
toggle the boolean values.

Greg

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?
>
> Hi all,
>
> My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
> (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...
>
> Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
> so that they toggle all at once?
>
> Thanks!

0
GregWilson (42)
7/28/2008 5:28:16 AM
For a  non code solution, simply select all the cells that will be toggled
and then firstly give them a name using Insert / Name / Define and call it
anything you like.  That lets you select them all in one easy hit using the
drop down just above cell A1.

Next, simply type TRUE/FALSE or 1/0 depending on what you are using and then
hit CTRL+ENTER which will put the same value into every cell.

Regards
                 Ken.......................

"LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?
>
> Hi all,
>
> My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
> (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...
>
> Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
> so that they toggle all at once?
>
> Thanks!

0
ken.wright (2489)
7/28/2008 5:58:10 PM
On Jul 28, 1:58=A0pm, "Ken Wright" <ken.wri...@NOSPAMntlworld.com>
wrote:
> For a =A0non code solution, simply select all the cells that will be togg=
led
> and then firstly give them a name using Insert / Name / Define and call i=
> anything you like. =A0That lets you select them all in one easy hit using=
 the
> drop down just above cell A1.
>
> Next, simply type TRUE/FALSE or 1/0 depending on what you are using and t=
hen
> hit CTRL+ENTER which will put the same value into every cell.
>
> Regards
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Ken.......................
>
> "LunaMoon" <lunamoonm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
> > (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...
>
> > Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
> > so that they toggle all at once?
>
> > Thanks!

thanks but this is not a toggle solution...
On Jul 28, 12:07=A0am, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
<rick.newsNO.S...@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote:
> I can't tell you whether this is a "best way" to do what you want or not,
> but it is "a way" to do it. It doesn't use a key short-cut, rather it use=
s a
> right mouse click. Go into the VB editor and double click on ThisWorkbook=
 in
> the Project window, then copy/paste this code into the code window that
> appeared...
>
> Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeRightClick(ByVal Sh As Object, _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0ByVal Target As Range, Cancel =
As Boolean)
> =A0 Dim C As Range
> =A0 Dim NotTorF As Range
> =A0 On Error GoTo Whoops
> =A0 Application.EnableEvents =3D False
> =A0 For Each C In Target
> =A0 =A0 If C.Text =3D "TRUE" Or C.Text =3D "FALSE" Then
> =A0 =A0 =A0 C.Value =3D Not C.Value
> =A0 =A0 ElseIf NotTorF Is Nothing Then
> =A0 =A0 =A0 Set NotTorF =3D C
> =A0 =A0 Else
> =A0 =A0 =A0 Set NotTorF =3D Union(NotTorF, C)
> =A0 =A0 End If
> =A0 Next
> =A0 If Not NotTorF Is Nothing Then
> =A0 =A0 Cancel =3D False
> =A0 =A0 NotTorF.Select
> =A0 Else
> =A0 =A0 Cancel =3D True
> =A0 End If
> Whoops:
> =A0 Application.EnableEvents =3D True
> End Sub
>
> Now, go back to the sheet and select any combination of TRUE and FALSE ce=
lls
> and right click in the selection (you do not have to restrict yourself to
> processing all TRUEs first and then all FALSEs afterward... if the cell i=
> the selection contains either TRUE or FALSE, that value will be flipped t=
> its opposite). Note the the normal context menu is suppressed for the TRU=
> and FALSE cells; however, if you select non TRUE or FALSE cells, they wil=
> still pop up the context menu. Also, if you mix TRUE or FALSE cells with =
non
> TRUE or FALSE cells, the TRUE and FALSE cells will be removed from the
> selection and a context menu will popup for the remaining cells.
>
> Rick
>
> "LunaMoon" <lunamoonm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
> > (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...
>
> > Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
> > so that they toggle all at once?
>
> > Thanks!

Thanks! Any pure key short-cut solution?
I think that's the fastest...
On Jul 28, 1:28=A0am, Greg Wilson <GregWil...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> One way is this:
>
> 1. =A0In a *standard* module paste:
> Declare Function GetKeyState Lib "User32.dll" (ByVal NVirtKey As Long) As
> Integer
>
> 2. =A0In the worksheet's class module paste this:
> Const VK_SHIFT =3D &H10
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As
> Boolean)
> Dim c As Range
> If GetKeyState(VK_SHIFT) < 0 Then
> =A0 =A0 Cancel =3D True
> =A0 =A0 For Each c In Selection.Cells
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 If VarType(c.Value) =3D vbBoolean Then
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 c.Value =3D Not c.Value
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 End If
> =A0 =A0 Next
> =A0 =A0 Set c =3D Nothing
> End If
> End Sub
>
> 3. =A0Select the cells and hold down the Shift key when right clicking to
> toggle the boolean values.
>
> Greg
>
> "LunaMoon" wrote:
> > What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
> > (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...
>
> > Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
> > so that they toggle all at once?
>
> > Thanks!

Thanks! Any pure key short-cut solution?
I think that's the fastest...
Then you will need to use code.  You could still use the range name idea and
then simply assign a bit of code to a keyboard shortcut, eg CTRL+SHIFT+T

Sub Toggle()
    Dim Cel As Range
    For Each Cel In Range("ToggleVals")
        Cel.Value = Not Cel.Value
    Next
End Sub

Hit the key combo and you'll change TRUE to FALSE and vice versa.  Even
gives you the option of running with mixed values if you had to.  If you add
or delete cells to your range of booleans, then all you need do is reset
your named range and no need to touch the code again.

Could also throw a button on and use that, but again just another option.

Regards
                 Ken................

On Jul 28, 1:58 pm, "Ken Wright" <ken.wri...@NOSPAMntlworld.com>
wrote:
> For a non code solution, simply select all the cells that will be toggled
> and then firstly give them a name using Insert / Name / Define and call it
> anything you like. That lets you select them all in one easy hit using the
> drop down just above cell A1.
>
> Next, simply type TRUE/FALSE or 1/0 depending on what you are using and
> then
> hit CTRL+ENTER which will put the same value into every cell.
>
> Regards
> Ken.......................
>
> "LunaMoon" <lunamoonm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
> > (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...
>
> > Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
> > so that they toggle all at once?
>
> > Thanks!

thanks but this is not a toggle solution...

0
ken.wright (2489)
7/28/2008 7:26:26 PM
What keyboard shortcut can be any faster that holding Shift and right clicking
the mouse.

--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Here's a sub you can invoke with a keyboard shortcut, and it'll toggle all the selected
cells with booleans (TRUE and FALSE).  It leaves other values, including text and numbers
and formulas, alone.  It can handle multiple-cell selections, including separate areas (Ctrl
key used to select non-contiguous cells).  It leaves your right-click alone.

It has a shortcoming that it thinks 0 and -1 are FALSE and TRUE, and will toggle these
values (including formulas that return these values, replacing them with 0 or 1).  I don't
remember where you test the type (boolean) of the contents of a a cell, if it's even
possible.

Sub ToggleBoolean()
Dim thing As Range
For Each thing In Selection
  If thing = True Or thing = False Then ' is it boolean?
    thing = Not thing
    End If
  Next thing
End Sub

You could put it in a module in your workbook (or in Personal.xls, if you want it available
for all workbooks), then assign a keyboard shortcut to run it (Tools - Macro - Macros -
Options).

When you bottom-post to a reply that's top-posted, it gets messy.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"LunaMoon" <lunamoonmoon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to toggle between true and false in Excel?
>
> Hi all,
>
> My excel work involves a lot of toggling between true and false
> (boolean types) ... and it's very repetitive...
>
> Is there a way to select a bunch of cells, and press a key short-cut
> so that they toggle all at once?
>
> Thanks!

0
someone798 (944)

Journal stopped working #3
I'm running Office XP Pro in Windows XP Pro. I noticed that my journal doesn't keep track any more. When I open the journal it is now empty. I've made sure that the feature is enabled in the Journal Option under Tools and I've checked off the boxes to track email, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. But it still doesn't do it. Is there another location to enable Journal? ...

is there a way to zoom the Excel view to the current highlighted cells..with a single click
Never mind I found it zoom to selection I wonder f theres a way to hotkey (shortcut) this? Jery ...

Why Doesn't This MATCH Work
I'm trying to do a match to find a number equal or larger than an input value. Since the values in the table are ascending I need to reverse them to use a -1 Match type. I've got a half dozen tricks that work. What I would like to find out is why one in particular doesn't work. A simplified example: A1:J1 contains the values 2, 4,...,20. A2 is the look up value. (eg 15) A3 is =MATCH(A2,OFFSET(J1,0,1-ROW(Count!1:10)),-1) where count is a blank sheet to return the numbers from 1 to 10. I can see that the offset returns the array in reverse order which is what I want. The Match how...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

There must be a way.........
There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody help? <five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:hb12r5tjthdtl87hlpgrcapq9b0hd87c4e@4ax.com... > There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed > (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody > help? Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool. Read about system file protection here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193 On Mon, 29 Mar 2...

is there a way to hide a whole worksheet in excel?
I would basically like to place all formulae on one worksheet and hide from anyone tempted to amend. most folks know how to unhide cells etc. Even if someone knows a sneakier way of making viewing of formula unviewable Good evening Marion McFarlane To hide a worksheet go to Format > Sheet > Hide. This can be unhidden through the same menu (but use unhide instead). To hide cells from view press ctrl + 1 and change the number format to Custom and ;;; (three semicolons). The formulae will still show in the status bar, so to hide from there, press ctrl + 1 and in the Protection ta...

External Data Refresh if fuction is true.
Is there a way you can make a external data source refresh if a function is true....... Ive got a few sheets which refresh automatically..... but i only want them to refresh if a function is true..... Any ideas? Cheers a macro or worksheet_change event macro if range("a1")=1 then runmymacro -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "The Boondock Saint" <robport@(no-spam)inspire.net.nz> wrote in message news:42b1be28$1@clear.net.nz... > Is there a way you can make a external data source refresh if a function is > true....... > > Ive got a f...

excel 07, i don't want circular reference arrows every time I open
I know i have a circular reference and I am ok with it. In the old version of excel, you could ignore the circular reference, in this version, the program automatically posts arrows, which you have to remove in the formula auditing toolbar. Is there a way to turn this off? Maybe just notify me of the error and if I click ok, show me the errors, if "ignore" no arrows? thanks, Office button - Excel options - formulas tab = check 'Enable iterative calculation' Mike "Zack H" wrote: > I know i have a circular reference and I am ok with it. In t...

how to use marco in excel
is any one know how to use Marco in excel and what is benefits to use it? Thanks a lot -- rnparikh ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rnparikh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25737 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391490 Yes we know how to use a macro, they are usually required to do something not built into Excel. But if you don't have a use, why do you ask? -- HTH Bob Phillips "rnparikh" <rnparikh.1sypmc_1122692712.2267@excelforum-nospam.com> w...

'Remember Password' does not work
I click the Remember Password box in MSM Premium 05 and it never works. This is the buggiest pos I have ever seen! Money 2004 has had the same problem since last year when Microsoft had a problem with .Net passport. -- Chris "Yet he can see through a brick wall in time. (As they say in Bree)" Time and change will surely show How firm thy friendship O-hi-o "Carlos" <CJrodriguez@msn.com> wrote in message news:Xw6Kd.98372$w62.18673@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... >I click the Remember Password box in MSM Premium 05 and it never works. >This is the...

Displaying Multiple-Page Linked OLE Files in Excel
Is there a way to display more than the first page of a multiple-page Word document linked to an Excel spreadsheet as an OLE object? It's possible to click through to the original document, but I'm unable to find a way to display the entire document within Excel without distorting the image. ...

Excel Formula Poser
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C74C75.8BD73550 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have created a worksheet to provide details of resources. Within the worksheet are separate sheets for each month this financial year (i.e. Feb 2007 - March 2008) Along the top I have three separate rows with differing rates for different clients and below, I have a number of sections for those different clients which list different projects. Within each of these sections are formulae in the form: =(C6*C15)+...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

FRx SP10 Export to Excel
Hello all, We have encountered a problem in FRx whereby: - a report is set to output to Excel (with Export Formulas switched on) - the row contains a total - there is more than one column of figures The formula in the total cell will be the same for every column - i.e. it will show the total of the first column in every column of data. Naturally we can get around this by turning off Export Formulas, but this is hardly a good solution. Similar issues seem to have been reported in KB902625 and KB865083, but both of these were subsequently fixed in earlier Service Packs. Has the bug been rein...

Scanning and Excel
I have a great question. Would it be possible to take a document that I scan in with monetary figures on the document and create a corresponding spreadsheet to where the monetary figures populated the corresponding fields on the spreadsheet (i.e. mileage on the scanned document would populate the mileage field in excel, so that I could calculate the total cost for mileage)Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would think that this would depend on your scanner and the software that came with it. And if you got lucky enough to have a scanner that did it and an accurate OCR program, t...

Why do I get some missing minor gridlines in an excel chart?
I have an excel chart. The horizontal minor gridlines (y-axis) show correctly. Some of the vertical minor gridlines (x-axis) are missing. Any ideas on how to correct this. I can turn the minor gridlines off, but I would like to have them for my content. What version of Excel? Line or XY chart ? Any chance you could share the data with us? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "maryrose" <maryrose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBF4F518-C554-4564-A9A7-4217D67508DC@microsoft.com... ...

Smartlist downloads to Excel crashes.
When downloading a smartlist to excel it often crashes. The problem is that it will not respond when I hit the 'Stop' button at all. I literally have to Control Alt Delete the entire GP program and then start all over again. Is there a way to kill this non responding job without killing the entire program. Do you mean you're in the middle of downloading to Excel & you want to stop it (before it crashes)? I don't think you can do that - you just have to wait it out :-) -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 "DB" w...

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

getting data from excel worksheet in to a script
hi folks, i need to take input for my script from an excel sheet . the excel sheet has 8 worksheets and i want to select particular columns from a particular worksheet. please help me out in this regard. cheers, nuti ...

Excel Document Closes
User has one document that she likes to keep open all day and it will randomly close by itself. We have witnessed it happening but do not know why. (2000 on a Win98) If she is clicking the upper X to close any document all documents will close "Amanda" <ajolivier@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0f7701c42614$74254ee0$a301280a@phx.gbl... : User has one document that she likes to keep open all day : and it will randomly close by itself. We have witnessed : it happening but do not know why. (2000 on a Win98) It's not from clicking the x. She can have it minimized a...

How to AUTO SAVE as opposed to turning on auto recovery: EXCEL
Is there a way to have Excell perform a SAVE at a specified frequency? -- T-mo T-mo If you're using Excel 2002 or 2003, there is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as there was in earlier versions. Autorecovery from Tools>Options>Save is it. This is not the same as Autosave which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving. Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes normally without incident. BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine. I have a...

Quotes in money 2007 stopped working
Anyone else having problems with Money 2007 downloading quotes? Mine stopped about 10 am. JC Same here JC. -Kevin "JC" <handccomputers@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1DC73822-FBAB-4E77-BC7B-F5B7556A4876@microsoft.com... > Anyone else having problems with Money 2007 downloading quotes? Mine > stopped about 10 am. > > JC ...

unchanged file (excel)
With an unchanged file (excel) I am prompted to save the "changed" file upon closing. Only seems to happen on excel files. If you have a volatile function, the automatic calc on opening will cause a change that prompts the Save. Volatile functions include NOW(), TODAY(), RAND(), AREAS(), CELL(), COLUMNS(), INDEX(), INDIRECT(), OFFSET(), ROWS(). In article <5D4A0FC2-A7AC-4103-88EC-9157E7A90789@microsoft.com>, "Cobb" <Cobb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > With an unchanged file (excel) I am prompted to save the "changed" file upon >...

Can VB6 compile Excel VBA Code using the Excel object model?
Can the Excel VBA object model be connected to VB6 so that the VBA code can be compiled into an exe? In other words can VBA code such as: ============================================================================ Selection.Sort Key1:=rngsort, Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlYes, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom or Rows("1:1").Select Selection.AutoFilter Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="=" & col1, Operator:=xlAnd Selection.AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:="=" & col4, Operator:=xlAnd or ...

problem with Excel
Designed worksheet to be used as master, then use it for records input each month. The worksheet is very large, (18 columns) and I need to freeze the top pane in order to keep track of records. The windows Freeze pane works on the master, but when I try it on the worksheet saved as February, it doesn't work. I can't find any difference, so why won't it work? any suggestions on what to check? Thanks This option does not work for the month of February due to the leap year, sorry. ps. this is Microsoft CRM newsgroup, you can get better advice on the Excel newsgroups -Gary...