VLookup VBA error trapping

Can anyone tell me how to modify this formula to trap errors? I tried
wrapping it in IsError (code) Then...but it doesn't work.

Public Sub RunMeNow()
Dim i As Long
Dim iLastRow As Long

   With Sheets("Sheet2")

 iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        For i = 3 To iLastRow 'iLastRow to 1 Step -1
            .Cells(i, "B").Value = Application.VLookup( _
                .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range("RegionGrouping"), 2,
False)
        Next i
 End With

End Sub

Or any other way I can handle an error with this type of procedure.
Thanks,
Xrull
0
joni.myi (11)
1/7/2009 3:21:51 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Public Sub RunMeNow()
Dim i As Long
Dim iLastRow As Long
dim res as variant 'could be an error

   With Sheets("Sheet2")
        iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        For i = 3 To iLastRow 'iLastRow to 1 Step -1
            res = Application.VLookup( _
                .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range("RegionGrouping"), 2, False)
            if iserror(res) then
                .Cells(i, "B").Value = "it's an error"
            else
                .Cells(i, "B").Value = res
            end if
        Next i
 End With

End Sub

I'd include the worksheet in that =vlookup() formula, too:

If RegionGrouping is on Sheet2:

     res = Application.VLookup( _
             .Cells(i, "A").Value, .Range("RegionGrouping"), 2, False)

Or on another sheet:

     res = Application.VLookup(.Cells(i, "A").Value, _
             worksheets("Somenamehere").Range("RegionGrouping"), 2, False)

--

Dave Peterson
0
On Jan 6, 10:45=A0pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Public Sub RunMeNow()
> Dim i As Long
> Dim iLastRow As Long
> dim res as variant 'could be an error
>
> =A0 =A0With Sheets("Sheet2")
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 iLastRow =3D .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 For i =3D 3 To iLastRow 'iLastRow to 1 Step -1
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 res =3D Application.VLookup( _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range("RegionGroupi=
ng"), 2, False)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 if iserror(res) then
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 .Cells(i, "B").Value =3D "it's an error"
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 else
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 .Cells(i, "B").Value =3D res
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 end if
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Next i
> =A0End With
>
> End Sub
>
> I'd include the worksheet in that =3Dvlookup() formula, too:
>
> If RegionGrouping is on Sheet2:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0res =3D Application.VLookup( _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0.Cells(i, "A").Value, .Range("RegionGrouping")=
, 2, False)

> Or on another sheet:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0res =3D Application.VLookup(.Cells(i, "A").Value, _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0worksheets("Somenamehere").Range("RegionGroupi=
ng"), 2, False)

> xrull wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me how to modify this formula to trap errors? I tried
> > wrapping it in IsError (code) Then...but it doesn't work.
>
> > Public Sub RunMeNow()
> > Dim i As Long
> > Dim iLastRow As Long
>
> > =A0 =A0With Sheets("Sheet2")
>
> > =A0iLastRow =3D .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 For i =3D 3 To iLastRow 'iLastRow to 1 Step -1
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 .Cells(i, "B").Value =3D Application.VLookup( _
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range("RegionGrou=
ping"), 2,
> > False)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Next i
> > =A0End With
>
> > End Sub
>
> > Or any other way I can handle an error with this type of procedure.
> > Thanks,
> > Xrull
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

One more questions:
Suppose I wanted to name the column to look how would I do that? I
tried qualifying the range by:
Cells(i, "B").Value =3D Application.VLookup( .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range
("RegionGrouping"), Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("Period"),False
 False)
I discovered that the formula needs to be more complex. It is coming
from the following formula:

=3DH3&IF(C3=3D"","",VLOOKUP(C3,Data2!B:O,F3+2,0))&IF(D3=3D"","",VLOOKUP
(D3,Data2!B:O,F3+2,0)). The column search changes every month based on
the information in column F.

Xrull
0
joni.myi (11)
1/7/2009 4:31:09 AM
Try

Cells(i, "B").Value = Application.VLookup( .Cells(i, "A").Value,
Range("RegionGrouping"), Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("Period").Value, False)

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"xrull" <joni.myi@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 6, 10:45 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Public Sub RunMeNow()
> Dim i As Long
> Dim iLastRow As Long
> dim res as variant 'could be an error
>
> With Sheets("Sheet2")
> iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
> For i = 3 To iLastRow 'iLastRow to 1 Step -1
> res = Application.VLookup( _
> .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range("RegionGrouping"), 2, False)
> if iserror(res) then
> .Cells(i, "B").Value = "it's an error"
> else
> .Cells(i, "B").Value = res
> end if
> Next i
> End With
>
> End Sub
>
> I'd include the worksheet in that =vlookup() formula, too:
>
> If RegionGrouping is on Sheet2:
>
> res = Application.VLookup( _
> .Cells(i, "A").Value, .Range("RegionGrouping"), 2, False)
>
> Or on another sheet:
>
> res = Application.VLookup(.Cells(i, "A").Value, _
> worksheets("Somenamehere").Range("RegionGrouping"), 2, False)
>

> xrull wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me how to modify this formula to trap errors? I tried
> > wrapping it in IsError (code) Then...but it doesn't work.
>
> > Public Sub RunMeNow()
> > Dim i As Long
> > Dim iLastRow As Long
>
> > With Sheets("Sheet2")
>
> > iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
> > For i = 3 To iLastRow 'iLastRow to 1 Step -1
> > .Cells(i, "B").Value = Application.VLookup( _
> > .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range("RegionGrouping"), 2,
> > False)
> > Next i
> > End With
>
> > End Sub
>
> > Or any other way I can handle an error with this type of procedure.
> > Thanks,
> > Xrull
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

One more questions:
Suppose I wanted to name the column to look how would I do that? I
tried qualifying the range by:
Cells(i, "B").Value = Application.VLookup( .Cells(i, "A").Value, Range
("RegionGrouping"), Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("Period"),False
 False)
I discovered that the formula needs to be more complex. It is coming
from the following formula:

=H3&IF(C3="","",VLOOKUP(C3,Data2!B:O,F3+2,0))&IF(D3="","",VLOOKUP
(D3,Data2!B:O,F3+2,0)). The column search changes every month based on
the information in column F.

Xrull

0
BobNGs (423)
1/7/2009 9:27:40 AM
Another take:

Cells(i, "B").Value = Application.VLookup( .Cells(i, "A").Value, _
                          worksheets("data2").Range("RegionGrouping"), _
                          .cells(i,"F").value, False)

Or maybe:

Cells(i, "B").Value = Application.VLookup(.Cells(i, "A").Value, _
                          Worksheets("data2").Range("RegionGrouping"), _
                          .Cells(i, .Range("period").Column).Value, False)

<<snipped>>

--

Dave Peterson
0

Use index/match or offset/match...more accurate and you may not need
the other stuff!!!

Regards,
Tom Bizannes
Excel Development
Sydney,Australia
http://www.macroview.com.au
0
tom1416 (13)
1/8/2009 3:15:20 AM
How is it flakey?
How is it less accurate?

--

Dave Peterson
0

It is so bad ... just google for issues with vlookup..

Obviously there are some workarounds such as wrapping text around the
strings but....enough said

Regards,
Tom Bizannes
Excel Development
Sydney,Australia
http://www.macroview.com.au
0
tom1416 (13)
1/8/2009 5:57:52 AM
I cannot reproduce that behaviour, and I am not aware of any such problems
with Vlookup. You may be correct, but I think you should back your
statements up with some tangible facts.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"SmartbizAustralia" <tom@smartbiz.com.au> wrote in message
> Try it with a lookup on a string with a - in it! It goes to a row it
> thinks is okay!...But not the one you wanted!
>
> It is so bad ... just google for issues with vlookup..
>
> Obviously there are some workarounds such as wrapping text around the
> strings but....enough said
>

> Regards,
> Tom Bizannes
> Excel Development
> Sydney,Australia
> http://www.macroview.com.au

0
BobNGs (423)
1/8/2009 8:32:54 AM
Maybe you meant asterisks and question marks.  But =match() supports this useful
(not flakey) behavior.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Here's an example that finds all instances of "Nick" on a sheet:

Sub FindStuff()

With ActiveSheet.Cells  ' you can change this to any range
 thingToLookFor = "Nick" ' for example
 Set FoundIt = .Find(thingToLookFor, LookIn:=xlValues,
LookAt:=xlWhole)
 If Not FoundIt Is Nothing Then
  firstaddress = FoundIt.Address
  Do
   FoundIt.Select  ' select it for example
   myValue = FoundIt.Offset(0, 3) ' pick up the value 3 cols to the
right
   Set FoundIt = .FindNext(FoundIt)
  Loop While Not FoundIt Is Nothing And FoundIt.Address <>
firstaddress
 Else
   MsgBox "didn't find it !"   ' but note, no error trapping needed
 End If
End With

End Sub

This is the cleanest way to find things, don't use VLOOKUP, INDEX,
MATCH via VBA

Nick

http://www.excelexperts.com/
Free Excel based systems for the world

0
nickviv (7)

Error message whilst tying to do a mail merge
Hi, Im using crm 4 & trying my first mail merge. To keep things simple I have a letterhead (with an image in the header) saved as an xml file. Ive selected no fields & try to run a mail merge for an account. After i select template I get error message Runtime error c:/program files/internet explorer/iexplore.exe the application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way also occurs when I select the template that is preinstalled. thanks in advance ...

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

VBA code to capture Computer device unique ID number
I am seeking knowledge of how to write a VBA code in access 2003 that allows me to call a property function by which I can capture a unique number which identifies the computer hardware device. I am thinking of something like the MAK Number that is associated with the hardware of interest since it is unique and cannot be repeated in any other device. The purpose of this function is that I would grant accessibility for users to my database application only if the hardware can be identified in a table that contains approved MAK numbers. I would greatly appreciate the help I can get in thi...

in vba for access how do i get the day of the week for a date field?
in vba for access how do i get the day of the week for a date field? You mean Monday, Tuesday,... Dim myDate As Date myDate = DateSerial(2005, 12, 25) MsgBox Format(myDate, "dddd") or the day portion of the date? Dim myDate As Date myDate = DateSerial(2005, 12, 25) MsgBox Day(myDate) Daniel wrote: > > in vba for access how do i get the day of the week for a date field? -- Dave Peterson ...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

Template download error
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2007 yesterday. Whenever I tried to open a template in Word and Excel I kept getting a template download error. I googled my problem and try all the solutions. Nothing worked! Well tonight I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007. Still getting the Template Download Error. However, I'm able to go on Microsoft's website and download the templates that I needed. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the error?? Are the legacy templates installed in the correct location? Is the location full accessible by Word with full permissions...

An annoying error
I upgraded my friend's computer from Win 98 to Win 2000 and Office 2000. Everything works fine, except for one weird problem. If he tries to open an ..msg e-mail attachment it tells him "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client." I checked everything and Outlook IS the default mail client in the settings. I recreated the e-mail profile too, just in case. No dice. It looks like some setting in the registry might be screwed up. Anybody has any suggesti...

Runtime Error 1004
I have a workbook that contains 100 worksheets. On each work sheet I have the following code (see below) that runs and when a particular person is selected from a drop down list a jpg of their signature displays at the top of each sheet. This was working fine but I am now getting the following error after I select a person from the drop down and then when ever i try to input data into any other cell. The error message is: Runtime Error '1004'" Unable to set the top property of the picture class It then allows me to END or debug. if i select debug it opens t...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

vba select field

VLOOKUP in VBA

error downloading transactions in Money 2006
iI have been using Money 2006 for several months now...recently I started having problems downloading transactions from my washington mutual checking account. I've never seen this before when using Money 2005, 04, etc. When I go to download the transactions, it will attempt to download and load and then Money will give me the error "The file you attempted to import appears to be invalid or contains corrupt data. Please download the file again. If this problem continues, contact your financial institution." Of course attempting to download it again doesn't work. What ...

Script Error when opening Today
I am getting the following "Internet Explorer Script Error" each time open the Today page. Line: 311 Char: 1 Error: Class Not Registered Code: 0 URL: Outlook.Today Any ideas on how to fix? Mark IE\Properties\Advanced and put a checkmark to Disable script debugging in IE and take out checkmark from Display notification about every script error -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6...

using VBA to retrieve values to ComboBox
i am trying to retrieve a range of data (the stock code of different phones) from worksheet("Inventory") based on the name of the branches of where the phones are stored. worksheet("Inventory") has branch (Column A) and stock code (Column B) i have 2 combobox. combobox1 contains values (name of branches) such as: 1-BS 2-EN 3-HG 4-JE 5-SP 6-TB 7-WS 8-YT combobox2 will have to retrieve values from the worksheet("Inventory") based on the value in combobox1. the values in combobox1 can be found in column 1 while the values i need for combobox...

File name error ine SMTP message
Hello, I have a pb with the file attach in the mail in CRM 3.0 The file is attach correctly in the pop-up webmail in crm. I send the mail and when the customer or me received the mail (pdf document), ne name of file is modified with this example: Pièce jointe : =_utf-_B_U3dpdGNoIERFTEwgVjQgLSBEZXZpcyAnMDctMDAyNTAnLnBkZgA=__= de Boîte de réception - Microsoft Outlook this pb is one mail of x mail send. ...

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

Outlook 2000 Error 0x800ccc13
I have Outlook 2000 installed on WinXP home. After installing modem software (for fax purposes) I now receive error 0x800ccc13 when performing 'send receive' in Outlook. Outlook Express now also fails with 0x800ccc0f error. I've disabled all spywatch, firewall and filtering software and tested Winsock using Netdiag. Winsock passes but there is a fail for NetBT transports test failed (I'm assuming because I removed all services other than TCP/IP.) I've reinstalled Outlook Express using the procedure from #318378 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318...

combobox and vlookups?
I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu, the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code). Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You shouldn't need code for anything you described here. Set up the combobox with the list fill range, if any. Set the linked cell to the desired cell. Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell from the combo box to lo...

Error 2147352567
I have a combo box on it that searches for the record on my form. My problem is that when I enter a new record using my command button to add a new record, then try to search for another record on my form using my combo box, I get the following message: Error 2147352567 Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit I have the following code for my combo box: Private Sub cmbCoName_AfterUpdate() ' Find the record that matches the control. Dim rs As Object Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone rs.FindFirst "[VendorNumber] = '" & Me![cmbCoName] & &q...

Error 1025
Good Day, We are running Exchange Enterprise 2003 w/SP1 on Windows 2003 Enterprise Server (no SP) with about 60 users. All critical updates have been applied with no issues. As of a few days ago I started noticing a warning message in my event log which is a follows: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Event Category: General Event ID: 1025 Date: 9/10/2005 Time: 6:35:22 AM User: N/A Computer: TEST Description: An error occurred on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (TE...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Need to suppress chart error message
Hello, I have a workbook containing a chart with dynamic ranges and I woul like to use the workbook as a template for my charting needs. Thi means that to use the workbook as a "standard template" (though not literal Excel 'Template'), I would like to save the workbook withou any data in the source ranges for the chart. However, each time I remove data from the source ranges, I get th familiar error: "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify that the path, workbook, and range name or reference ar correct, then try again." Thi...

Error-2147216474
hi all when i go to ma ke check database on SO V.2 i got above error massage. and when i try to open POS give me following massage: Row cannot be located for updating. some values may have been changed since it was last read. ...