VLookup to Hide Columns

Hi everyone -

I'm still trying to figure out how to perform this one. Within my
Timesheet tool, I use a VLookup table, on a data entry page, that
contains employee names, departments, etc...... Also on the data entry
page, are a number of columns (designated with specific housing
programs) where the employee enters their daily hours depending on
which program they work in.

The thing is that certain employees only work in certain programs where
it would be easier if the program columns that the employee does not
deal with will "hide" once the employee chooses their names from the
VLookup drop-down box. THIS IS WHAT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO. I've
tried a number of different VB codes and nothing seems to work.

I was hoping someone could take a look at what I've developed and shoot
me in the right direction. ANY help would really be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.

Frank

0
golf4wff (10)
3/13/2005 6:50:36 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

One way would be to use data validation in a cell that referred to the
employee list. Then, use a match formula to get a number from the selection
that you could then use in a select case statement to hide the rows based on
the case.....

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
<golf4wff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone -
>
> I'm still trying to figure out how to perform this one. Within my
> Timesheet tool, I use a VLookup table, on a data entry page, that
> contains employee names, departments, etc...... Also on the data entry
> page, are a number of columns (designated with specific housing
> programs) where the employee enters their daily hours depending on
> which program they work in.
>
> The thing is that certain employees only work in certain programs where
> it would be easier if the program columns that the employee does not
> deal with will "hide" once the employee chooses their names from the
> VLookup drop-down box. THIS IS WHAT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO. I've
> tried a number of different VB codes and nothing seems to work.
>
> I was hoping someone could take a look at what I've developed and shoot
> me in the right direction. ANY help would really be appreciated.
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> Frank

0
Don
3/13/2005 7:02:04 PM
Hi, Don -

Thanks for the quick response. A bit of an amateur here, but learning
as I go. Would you be willing to take a look at what I have so far and,
kind if, show me what you're referring to?

Thanks for the help,

Frank

0
golf4wff (10)
3/13/2005 7:21:07 PM
Send to me and I will have a look but kind of busy today. Nascar race....

--
> Hi, Don -
>
> Thanks for the quick response. A bit of an amateur here, but learning
> as I go. Would you be willing to take a look at what I have so far and,
> kind if, show me what you're referring to?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Frank

0
Don
3/13/2005 7:28:46 PM
Hi, Don -

Thanks again for the help. Just sent you an email with a reference to a
zipped copy. Please let me know if you receive it. If not, I can send
you an Excel full copy of the tool.

Thanks again,

Frank

0
golf4wff (10)

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

How to use goal seek on column
Hi! I have a formula in cell C which is dependant on values in cell A and B. I use goal seek to adjust the value in cell A to meet the goal for C. This works perfectly. However I would like this to be performed on all rows in column C. Is this possible? Example: Column A Column B Column C 1 1 =A/B 5 3 =A/B .... ... =A/B An answer would be much appreciated! /Daniel Hi, Goal seek is designed to work on one cell at a time only. Why not show...

Downward column
Hi suppose that,my data set on column x and second row(x2),i want to move this column to desired row. For example: data position is x2 and expected position is x7644. I need to a macro, when run it then at first open the Box, and take me new row number, and finally, move data on column x to new row number. Would you please guide me? best regards Please note that, my data set on column x for example is x2: x570 and i want to move to new position x7644:x8214. i have many file and little time. thus i need to a macro that before explained. regards "climate" wrot...

hide mouse pointers with VB script
Hi, do you know if exist a command for hide the mouse pointer? Regards Santino ...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Column help please
I have addresses in one column in an excel worksheet. When I highlite the address, it shows up correctly in the fx box (showing name on one line, address on the next, city, state and zip on last “line). However, when I pick the any address in the drop down box I made, the address shows up as one long line, not as the multiple lines I need. How can I have this show up as I need? Ignore this post, already figured out "galgolfer63" wrote: > I have addresses in one column in an excel worksheet. When I highlite the > address, it shows up correctly in the fx box (showing na...

Fields not showing up in columns
I have a field titled PageNumber in a table that is not showing up in my columns, although it is checked in the design view and is not hidden. On the form view I have access to this field and it has all the entries, which would indicate that nothing has been accidentally deleted. What's happened, and how can I fix this so the page number column shows up in the table. The terms you are using and the way you use them are confusing to me. Access has 'fields' in table. Those fields are displayed in columns. When you say 'I have a field titled PageNumber in a t...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

How can I Hide rates in Resource Worksheet
I work in an environment in which the hourly rates of project team members is considered sensitive information. Is there any way that I can conceal this information and still share the Project file with team members? Can I password protect the rates or make the resource sheet invisible to everyone except me? Thanks. Nope. Typically you could: 1) Invest in Project Server, and control the views to which they have access using their browser. 2) PDF specific views of the project schedule for their consumption (or use the Copy Project to Office Wizard) 3) Delete the rates manu...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

Column width and pasting sections in excel? Formatting questions
I am trying to make a spreadsheet in which I need to have varied column widths in different sections, one under another. (they don't need to relate directly, and no major equations going on) for example: xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx How do I go about splitting the sheet or whatever I need to do so I can manipulate columns differently based on the row I'm in? Thanks! Rich Column widths apply to the whole column. You may be able to use merged cells to give the appearance that you want, but I try to stay...

VLOOKUP in VBA

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

need to find which numbers (3+) in a column sum to a value
need to find which numbers (3+) in column sum to a value I have a column of 100+ numbers. I know that the column should sum to x, but is summing to y instead. I need to find which numbers in the column sum to the difference of x and y. Then I can remove them from my column. Thanks. This is difficult, because you need to check all the combinations of those 100 numbers to find your difference. The number of combinations from a pool of 100 numbers is, frankly, staggering: 2 to the 100th power, or 1,267,650,600,228,230,000,000,000,000,000. Can you reduce this list? If you know the diff...

Hiding new reord button?
Is it possible to hide the Add new record button at the bottom of a for? I want the user to be able to navigate through the records using the Next and Previous buttons, but not be able to add a record using the Add new record button. Thanks Tony Sorry! Didn't look close enough I see if I use allow additions=no in the properties it greys out the button I would have preferred for it to have gone altogether but grey will do. Thanks anyway Tony "Tony Williams" <tw@invalid.com> wrote in message news:%23626bqbOIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to hide...

Hide button New:<entityname>
Hi, Under Contacts I've created a new 1 to many relationship to a custom entity called Employments. This entity in it's turn is related to Accounts. From the Account records I don't want the users to have the ability to create new Employments records. They schould only do this from the Contacts side. Is there any way to hide the New: Employments button under Accounts? If yes, how? Thanx, Bertil what about making the " Create " blank in secruity role of entity ( i assume its employment ) ? In this way , users would not be able to create new employment records .....

transferring data in rows of one table to columns of another table
Hi All, We are working with FCC station data that puts some simple numeric data in one file, arranged in a number of consecutive rows for each station. The next station's data follows consecutively. Each group of rows that are common to a station share an index number, while the next group uses its own separate number. A separate file contains the main information fields in a table of separate rows, or records, along with a matching index number. We'd like to move the numeric data in a group of rows that share the index # for a station, to a series of new fields add...

adding 2 columns of currency
=D5-SUM(D6:D92,H6:H92) i thought worked but for some reason i can't get it to. Can anyone help me ...

Column Charts for Pie Slices?
Hi. What a great forum! Hope someone can help me (went back about a month and didn't see this question). My pie chart has 5 slices (# of employees for each of 5 departments). Each slice consists of 2 values (male, female). I'd like each slice to "point" to its own stacked column chart that shows how the slice is distributed across the two values. So the pie chart itself shows the distribution of employees across depatments, and the 5 associated stacked column charts show the relative number of male and female employees for each dept. Any ideas? Thanks! You could ma...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

combobox and vlookups?
I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu, the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code). Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You shouldn't need code for anything you described here. Set up the combobox with the list fill range, if any. Set the linked cell to the desired cell. Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell from the combo box to lo...

How to unhide column?
I hid column E, did some other work on the spreadsheet, now cannot unhide column E EXCEL 2007 Clcick on D to highlight that column and, keeping the left mouse button depressed, drag to column F so that both columns are highlighted. Right click / Unhide If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Lois Corp Secy" wrote: > I hid column E, did some other work on the spreadsheet, now cannot unhide > column E Select D and F and right-click>unhide. If that doesn't work mayber E has been set to 0 or very tiny width. In Namebox type ...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...

How do I change the row/column format in a macro to beyond letters?
Hi all, I recorded a very long VBA macro in Excel and the index of ranges is in letter format, for example, "M14:M19", etc. Now I am going to run this macro programmatically and automatically in a for loop and expand it from the left to the right so I want to change the "M" in the above example automatically. But after 26 letters, there will be AA, AB, etc. which is really hard to program. Is there a way to adapt the recorded macro (by changing as little as possible) to more than 26 letters. I really want to change as little as possible because I spent lots of time re...

vlookup inside an if statement?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi everybody! I have to do a vertical lookup of an object that might or might not exist, in case it doesnt exist normally it gives back Ref! but the thing is that if this objet doesnt appear on the data base is because is zero. This Ref! is not allowing me to make a sum since this objet is part of it. Maybe with an example would be easier to explain. i have to pull from a database the number of cars sold of three brands A,B, C, In the database unless is one car of the type it will not appear. lets say we hav...