Vlookup Return Problem

Hi everyone,

I'm new at excell and having a problem with a return on a vlookup formula.

I have a workbook with several sheets all the same execpt worksheet 6.  Which
has my zipcodes, city and state.  I want to type in zip and get the exact
match and return the city.

My formula looks like this:  =VLOOKUP(P11,MyLookup,2,FALSE)

H11 sheet 1 is where I have entered my formula and want my return to display

P11 sheet 1 is where I'm entering my zip
On sheet 6 which you see below is my range name MyLookup
2 is column B on sheet 6
False is exact

Sheet 6
                                                                1     Zip
City     State

I entered my formula via the paste function in office 2000 which shows the
results as I go from box to box and it is all correct.  However, when I hit
enter it won't display my result on sheet one.  Only the formula.

Any suggestions are welcome.
0
Nikjen
2/7/2006 8:48:21 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The cell its in is probably formatted as text. Try double clicking the cell
and press F2, I that does it, see below,
Ifyou have a lot of them, enter 1 in an empty cell, right click and copy it
then highlight the offending cells, right click again and select Paste
Special, Multiply, OK,
Regards,
Alan.
"Nikjen" <u18505@uwe> wrote in message news:5b8a206a150ec@uwe...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new at excell and having a problem with a return on a vlookup formula.
>
> I have a workbook with several sheets all the same execpt worksheet 6.
> Which
> has my zipcodes, city and state.  I want to type in zip and get the exact
> match and return the city.
>
> My formula looks like this:  =VLOOKUP(P11,MyLookup,2,FALSE)
>
> H11 sheet 1 is where I have entered my formula and want my return to
> display
>
> P11 sheet 1 is where I'm entering my zip
> On sheet 6 which you see below is my range name MyLookup
> 2 is column B on sheet 6
> False is exact
>
> Sheet 6
>                                                                1     Zip
> City     State
>                                                                2
>
>                                                                3
>

> I entered my formula via the paste function in office 2000 which shows the
> results as I go from box to box and it is all correct.  However, when I
> hit
> enter it won't display my result on sheet one.  Only the formula.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.

0
alan111 (581)
2/7/2006 9:05:51 PM
Hi Alan.  Thanks for getting back to me on this.  I tried your suggestion but
it still dosen't work.  I formatted all the cells involved as text, number
and general but still to no avail.  I'm wondering if I have a problem with
excell?

Alan wrote:
>The cell its in is probably formatted as text. Try double clicking the cell
>and press F2, I that does it, see below,
>Ifyou have a lot of them, enter 1 in an empty cell, right click and copy it
>then highlight the offending cells, right click again and select Paste
>Special, Multiply, OK,
>Regards,
>Alan.
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]
>>
>> Any suggestions are welcome.
0
Nikjen
2/7/2006 9:25:54 PM
Did you hit F2? Just changing the format to General etc doesn't work on its
own, you have either double click it or hit F2 which effectively reinserts
it.
I doubt if you have a problem with Excel.
If you still have a problem. post back, someone will have the answer,
Regards,
Alan.
"Nikjen" <u18505@uwe> wrote in message news:5b8a74644cdb4@uwe...
> Hi Alan.  Thanks for getting back to me on this.  I tried your suggestion
> but
> it still dosen't work.  I formatted all the cells involved as text, number
> and general but still to no avail.  I'm wondering if I have a problem with
> excell?
>
> Alan wrote:
>>The cell its in is probably formatted as text. Try double clicking the
>>cell
>>and press F2, I that does it, see below,
>>Ifyou have a lot of them, enter 1 in an empty cell, right click and copy
>>it
>>then highlight the offending cells, right click again and select Paste
>>Special, Multiply, OK,
>>Regards,
>>Alan.
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]
>>>
>>> Any suggestions are welcome.

0
alan111 (581)
2/7/2006 9:40:27 PM
Yes I did hit F2 after double clicking.

Alan wrote:
>Did you hit F2? Just changing the format to General etc doesn't work on its
>own, you have either double click it or hit F2 which effectively reinserts
>it.
>I doubt if you have a problem with Excel.
>If you still have a problem. post back, someone will have the answer,
>Regards,
>Alan.
>> Hi Alan.  Thanks for getting back to me on this.  I tried your suggestion
>> but
>[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]

0
Nikjen
2/7/2006 10:00:57 PM
Look at your View tab from Tool/Options from the menubar.  On the bottom
left under Window options there is a checkbox for Formulas.  If this box
is checked, then your spreadsheet will show your formula rather than the
result.

--
taylorm
taylorm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28892

Hey taylorm!  Thanks for trying to help.  I checked and the box is not
checked.
Steve

taylorm wrote:
>Look at your View tab from Tool/Options from the menubar.  On the bottom
>left under Window options there is a checkbox for Formulas.  If this box
>is checked, then your spreadsheet will show your formula rather than the
>result.

0
Nikjen
2/8/2006 1:08:14 AM
To anyone out there having the same type of problem, I figured it out.  Here
is the answer.

Go to http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html and follow their
directions.  It fixed my current problem.
I found that the zip codes in MyLookup on sheet 6 and P column must be
formatted as numbers and all the others as general.  Since a zip may have
many different cities attatched to it,  I have to work on finding a formula
to drop down a list to chose from now.
Special Thanks to Alan and taylorm for their help.  I know it can be
frustrating with someone new.

Nikjen wrote:
>Hey taylorm!  Thanks for trying to help.  I checked and the box is not
>checked.
>Steve
>
>>Look at your View tab from Tool/Options from the menubar.  On the bottom
>>left under Window options there is a checkbox for Formulas.  If this box
>>is checked, then your spreadsheet will show your formula rather than the
>>result.

Nikjen

Project accounting
I have a query raised by one of my customers in relation to the vat 100 report. In quarter 1 this year (Nov 08 – Jan 09) , the Tax return exception report – General Ledger displayed billing transactions that refer to bills generated for external jobs in the project accounting module. These 3 entries also appear in the standard sales tax detail report. This resulted in my customer mistakenly repaying these amounts twice. Anyone any ideas why these transactions should be reported twice Jean -- JB Should have said this is in V10 Jean -- JB "JB" wrote: > I have a query ra...

Query problem #2
Hello, I know how to set up query parameters where the paramater entered provides a value for one of the query fields. What I am struggling with is setting up a parameterised query where the parameter entered is the first character in a field. In other words I want to parameteries a "begins with" criteria. In the Value field within MS Query I have entered Like '[parameter]%' which obviously isn't working. Can anyone tell me the correct syntax please? Thanks in advance Will replace the % with *. Different systems use different wildcard characters to make life spicier...

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Focus problem when using UI thread
Hi all- I have an app that uses a separate ui thread for popping up a dialog box when the app is doing something that takes awhile (like a big query). The dialog box simply shows a "please wait" message, then when the query is done, the dialog box and its thread are destroyed (this is done through a separate class that spawns the thread which shows the dialog box). The problem is that it seems sometimes when the dialog box is removed, and I'm about to show *another* dialog box, that belongs to the main thread, the focus gets screwed up...some other window will be pushed to the ...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

VLOOKUP in VBA

Windows Live Password Problems with Archive Files
I am able to login to my current Microsoft Money file using my current Windows Live ID and password. However, I need to look up something in a Money archive file. When I try to open the archive file and sign in, I get an error that my email or password is incorrect. Resetting my Windows Live password did not help - I continue to get the error message. Any ideas for what's going on here? I use Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe, Windows XP. Very tough to say. Do you know what version of Money you were using when you created the archive file? For many reasons--some JUST LIKE THIS--I r...

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

Inventory returns purchased on CC
What is the recommended process for the following situation: 1) purchase inventory item using a credit card 2) item is returned to the vendor 3) credit from vendor is put back on the credit card Presumably, need to do a return with credit transaction. This puts the credit on the vendor account. What next? Obviously there needs to be a transaction to remove the credit from the vendor account and another? transaction to reduce the cc balance. Seems like there should be a shorter method for doing this vs 3 different steps! What is the best way to do this? Thank you! Neil ...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

combobox and vlookups?
I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu, the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code). Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You shouldn't need code for anything you described here. Set up the combobox with the list fill range, if any. Set the linked cell to the desired cell. Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell from the combo box to lo...

Problem after MS Update KB978207
Hi All, After installing KB978207 we found we had no network connection and IPSec eventId: 7023. Has anyone else installed this yet or found a solution to this? Thanks, Nick My guess is this is that old DNS reserved ports issue that can happen randomly on any reboot and has nothing to do with KB978207. Make sure you add the DNS reservation patch to fix your IPSec booting issue: http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2009/03/11/sbs-2003-and-dns-patch-issues-revisited.aspx -- Allan Williams Nick wrote: > Hi All, > > After installing KB97820...

SERIOUS: CRM problem when attaching file
Hi We have implemented SPLA CRM, with clients using the Outloop laptop client. We have a serious issue when you attempt to attach a file to a CRM entiy by clicking the paper clip icon. When you click this icon, you get the standard "Add Attachment" popup. You browse to a file, then click attach, and instead of attaching the file (under the Notes section), you get this bizare looking form titled "CRM Sample Logon Form". This form has Username and Password fields, and a LogOn button. This happens for any entity. This error does not occurr when usign the web client. ...

tab control problem
i have a tab control. there are dialogs in each tab. when i press enter in a tab , the dialog in the tab disappears. however, when i go another tab and choose the disappeared tab it is shown again. i guess when the focus is on the dialog in that tab , and the enter is pressed it disappears. how can i prevent disappear of dialogs in the tabs when i press enter? murat murat aydin wrote: > i have a tab control. there are dialogs in each tab. when i press enter in a > tab , the dialog in the tab disappears. however, when i go another tab and > choose the disappeared tab it is shown ...

problem with toolbar?
Hi, I have a very large spreadsheet which is used by many people. I have been updating this spreadsheet so that it is more effecient, so far successfully. I have just created a new toolbar which has on it, buttons which I created which link to macro's. The problem I have is that everything looks great on my pc, however when another person looks at the spreadsheet, it is updated with everything except the new toolbar. I have saved it correctly and the other people are opening the correct file. Anyone have any thoughts which would help????????? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum...

FormView contained in an UpdatePanel always returns NULL values.
I have a formview that is fully contained within an UpdatePanel, and when the Update command is sent, the textboxes in my formview are always returning null values. If I read textboxes contained outside of the UpdatePanel, I am getting the actual values. I have tried getting the values on the InputParameters of my ObjectDataSource, as well as trying to read the values directly from the TextBoxes in the FormView, and they both contain NULL values. I have seen a few other posts from people having this problem, but I have yet to see a resolution. The code containing the UpdatePa...

How do I setup automatic return reciept for one person in Outlook
I have n employee who constantly insists he's not receiving my messages. Is there a way to set up return receipt for one particular person? Not without some in depth changes to how you a send email to that person. You could use an email message that you have saved with the option for a read receipt turned on and only use that message form for emails to this person. Of course, that person may decline sending you the RR if they so desire. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account ...

Excel calculation problem
I think something in Excel 2007 is trying to be too clever by half (or is it a bug?). Col A Formula Result Expected 2.25 =a$1 2.25 2.25 2.25 =a$1 + a2 4.50 4.50 3.50 =SUM(a$1:a3) 8.00 8.00 1.75 =SUM(a$1:a4) 8.00 9.75 2.00 =SUM(a$1:a5) 8.00 11.75 5.25 =SUM(a$1:a6) 8.00 17.00 9.00 =SUM(a$1:a7) 8.00...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...

Big problems after Money Plus install!
The following problems started right after I installed Money Plus Home and Business: I have a problem on my Windows XP Pro computer where user account 1 works fine, but user account 2 is having serious problems. The problems on user account 2 include the following: 1. When I try to login to MSN Messenger, I get an 800401f3 error. 2. When I try to (re)register msxml3.dll, I get an 0x80004005 error. 3. In Internet Explorer, many sites, such as hotmail and msn either don’t load at all, or load incorrectly. 4. Some applications, like the users control panel come up with a blank page. 5. Win...

Publisher Color Printing problem
My brochure which I have printed many times before now will only print in B/W. It shows in color but not in Priint preview or in actual print. Can anyone help? Thanks Janet Might be a corrupted driver. Go to the manufacturer's web site and see if there is an updated printer driver. If not, uninstall your printer and reinstall It is always better to completely uninstall your printer before reinstalling/installing. Bruce Sanderson's Windows Web How to clean up printer drivers http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.micros...

activation problem #2
I have bought a new laptop and wish to activate my publisher 2002 programme which I already have installed on my other computers. Why do I get a message saying that it is already installed on another computer, and won't allow me to install it on my laptop? On the activation window use the phone number listed. About Office Activation and Reduced Functionality http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293151&Product=offxp -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Trevor" <anonymous@disc...

Problem replicating a chart in Excel from Harvard Graphics
I am trying to make horizontal, paired 2-D chart in Excel. It is not one of the choices in Excel 2003 that we have at the office. You can find the chart at this link here at page 21 of the report: http://www.cjareports.org/reports/jo2006color.pdf Any help would be appreciated! Also if this chart option is available in Office 2007 please let me know so we can upgrade. Thanks in advance for any help, Ray NYItalianM@yahoo.com Hi, Assume you mean this type. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html xl2007 offers no new chart types, only more formatting options. Cheers Andy ...