vlookup function

I am doing grading using excel. For grade percentages, I would like to
have the letter grade automatically calculated rather than figuring out
each student individually. The grade percentages are broken into 10s,
each one gets the next letter and after 60 is an F. How do I enter the
formula to automatically process the letter grade. Any help you can
give me is much appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Blinkerbox,

I've sent you an example by private e-mail which may help.  Will need some
adjustments for sure, but it may get you going.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"blinkerbox" <blinkerbox.ulbjy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am doing grading using excel. For grade percentages, I would like to
> have the letter grade automatically calculated rather than figuring out
> each student individually. The grade percentages are broken into 10s,
> each one gets the next letter and after 60 is an F. How do I enter the
> formula to automatically process the letter grade. Any help you can
> give me is much appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

lhkittle1 (70)
10/1/2003 12:02:18 AM

Set up a table as follows
and assuming the percent is D1,  then in E1

       A        B        C        D        E
1     0%      F                55%        = vlookup(d1,A1:B5,2)
2     60%    D
3     70%    C
4     80%    B
5     90%    A

"blinkerbox" <blinkerbox.ulbjy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am doing grading using excel. For grade percentages, I would like to
> have the letter grade automatically calculated rather than figuring out
> each student individually. The grade percentages are broken into 10s,
> each one gets the next letter and after 60 is an F. How do I enter the
> formula to automatically process the letter grade. Any help you can
> give me is much appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

dhymel (16)
10/1/2003 4:06:34 AM
Blinkerbox,

You'll probably be copying Dale's formula down a column in your student
grades table.  You'll need absolute cell references:

= vlookup(d1,$A$1:$B$5,2)

Why do they call it VLOOKUP?  It doesn't look up.  It looks down.

Earl Kiosterud

"Dale Hymel" <dhymel@cox.net> wrote in message

> Set up a table as follows
> and assuming the percent is D1,  then in E1
>
>        A        B        C        D        E
> 1     0%      F                55%        = vlookup(d1,A1:B5,2)
> 2     60%    D
> 3     70%    C
> 4     80%    B
> 5     90%    A
>

> "blinkerbox" <blinkerbox.ulbjy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I am doing grading using excel. For grade percentages, I would like to
> > have the letter grade automatically calculated rather than figuring out
> > each student individually. The grade percentages are broken into 10s,
> > each one gets the next letter and after 60 is an F. How do I enter the
> > formula to automatically process the letter grade. Any help you can
> > give me is much appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

> > ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/
> > ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from
http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
nowhere8060 (363)
10/2/2003 6:00:35 PM
"Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Blinkerbox,
>
> You'll probably be copying Dale's formula down a column in your
student
> grades table.  You'll need absolute cell references:
>
> = vlookup(d1,$A$1:$B$5,2)
>
> Why do they call it VLOOKUP?  It doesn't look up.  It looks down.

It looks on a _vertical_ axis for the index number. Might want to
contrast that with hlookup, which checks a horizontal axis.

Fabian
Visit my website often and for long periods!
http://www.lajzar.co.uk

0
lajzar (58)
10/2/2003 10:14:32 PM
Still think it oughtta be VLOOKDOWN.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"Fabian" <lajzar@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Blinkerbox,
> >
> > You'll probably be copying Dale's formula down a column in your
> student
> > grades table.  You'll need absolute cell references:
> >
> > = vlookup(d1,$A$1:$B$5,2)
> >
> > Why do they call it VLOOKUP?  It doesn't look up.  It looks down.
>
> It looks on a _vertical_ axis for the index number. Might want to
> contrast that with hlookup, which checks a horizontal axis.

> Fabian
> Visit my website often and for long periods!
> http://www.lajzar.co.uk

0
nowhere8060 (363)
10/5/2003 3:51:35 AM
In article <uI8V6PviDHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
 "Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@verizon.net> wrote:

> Still think it oughtta be VLOOKDOWN.

'Course, on a Tablet PC, a VLOOKDOWN() may well be horizontal. It
could be called LOCOTHROW() (for LOok at COlumns, THen ROWs)...
Perhaps we should just call it GEORGE().
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/5/2003 4:58:52 AM
And when you go to the telephone book and peruse down the columns to
find your friend's telephone number, do you think we ought to refer to
that as "looking down his telephone number"?

Alan Beban

Earl Kiosterud wrote:
> Still think it oughtta be VLOOKDOWN.

0
beban (93)

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

function #3
Dear all, Can some one tell me the function ;- this is like if 60000 is left for 20 yrs at 30% compunding it will be 1cr but how can i get the reverse of the same ie if i want 100000 after 20 yrs what should i invest today. Look in HELP for the PV() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Vishal Patel" <vishalpt@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ab8f8a1f-0d89-4a66-9428-b82c604e55e0@w4g2000prd.googlegroups.com... | Dear all, | | Can some one tell me the function ;- | | this is like if 60000 is left for 20 yrs at 30% compunding it will be | 1cr | | but...

IMAP and Sent Items and overall poor IMAP functionality
Hi! Why is IMAP in Outlook 2003 not automatically moving sent emails to Sent Items on server? Why is Purge on Exit not an option? It seems to me that Outlook Express has better IMAP implementation than Outlook 2003. And I was hoping to get at least some improvements in this new version :-( Our users are still on Outlook Express, even though some of our users would like to have Outlook. I can't implement a solution that only works good if you're a pro end-user that can write macros that move sent emails to sent items and create own buttons so that you can purge your folders....

Calculator function
When entering a transaction in the payables transaction entry screen or in a journal entry, there should be a button where you can click to bring up a calculator which can then be used to calculate the amount you want to distribute to a line item. When you click okay, the resulting calculation should autofill the distribution amount for that line item. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, ...

XL2000: Networkdays function giving wrong answers
Hi group, I have a spreadsheet where every row has a unique project. The last two columns are "deadline date" and "actual completion date" none of which fall on either a Saturday or a Sunday. These are columns J and K and formatted as a standard date field. The UK bank holidays for 2003 are just stored in the range $Q$2:$Q$9 and for the record are: 01-Jan-03 18-Apr-03 21-Apr-03 05-May-03 26-May-03 25-Aug-03 25-Dec-03 26-Dec-03 I need to find out which of my unique projects (in rows) were on time (and by how much), similarly which missed their deadlines (and by how much...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

IF Function #10
Hi How should be IF function for the below mentioned request? IF something is equal to 2 or 3 or 4 do something otherwise do another things. Thanks hme -- hme ------------------------------------------------------------------------ hme's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15930 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=538002 "hme" <hme.276hoy_1146570300.6104@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:hme.276hoy_1146570300.6104@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Hi > > How should be IF functio...

TextWidthHeight function
This is a question for Stephen Lebans. I recently downloaded the TextWidthHeight function from your web site. I am using it to bottom justify text in a text box in the header of a user-customizable report. The user enters a column heading for each column in a dialog box. Then I put this text in the column heading and use your function to bottom justify the text. I have tested the report with various different text strings. All of my test strings worked fine until I entered the following: "The effective date of the contract". When I entered this string, the last line of the cor...

Logical function
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm trying to do a logical function and I can't figure out where to put what....I want to say if the word &quot;fabric&quot; appears in column a, then column b should be 100% or if accessories appears in column a then column be should be 30%....and so on. I have looked at the IF/Then/Value Help and I can't figure out what to do since I'm using text instead of values. Please help! Mary In article <59bb1527.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, bchgnn@officeformac.com wrote: > Operating System: Mac O...

Using the Join function on lines from an AutoCAD import
Hi, I use Visio 2007 and I have a problem joining lines and then filling the resultant shape on an AutoCAD import. So, I imported my DWG file. I've done a convert once it imported. I've discovered that there's a layer called DWGEntityColorOverrideLayer and that this has to be ticked to allow Visio to recolour lines, etc. I've got a selection of lines and arcs that touch up against each other to form a single shape. I want to fill that shape. So I select all the lines and use the Shapes > Operations > Join function and the join goes ahead but the fill ...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

export function in 2010
What happened to the export and import functions in Outlook? Most notably; ..pst files Nothing. What makes you think something happened? Exporting and importing PST files has never been a good idea. -- Russ Valentine "PARADOX-RED" <PARADOXRED@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42C48BCC-C9DC-41D4-9A55-4F4E5CE97B36@microsoft.com... > What happened to the export and import functions in Outlook? Most > notably; > .pst files If you're saying you can't find them, you haven't looked very hard. File > Open > Import gives ...

List function
Hello, happy christmas, Can someone have a list of financial function, i would like to have it all ! thank you Philippe, Alliel, Sitel pour l'assistance utilisateur Microsoft Try MVP Debra Dalgleish's page at: http://www.contextures.com/functions.html Look for the downloadable file: Apx01FuncList.zip 80 kb under "Excel Functions" by MVP Norman Harker Think you'll find what you want and more ... (there's a nice menu in the file with a "Financial" button, amongst others) -- hth Max ----------------------------------------- Please reply in thread Use xde...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

Countif/And Function
I am trying to count the number of occurrences in a column based on two criteria. For example, I would like to count how many times the letter 'N' appears in column E, but only if the value in column A is equal to 0016. Can this be done using the COUNTIF or AND functions?? (basically I would like to count the number of cells in column E with a value of N in column E AND a value of 0016 in column A) Hopefully this makes sense... Thanks! Try... =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="0016"),--(E1:E100="N")) OR =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=G1),--(E1:E100=H1)) ....where G1 con...

Is there functionality to audit changes made to records in CRM 3.0
I'm looking to find out if there's a way to audit the changes made to records such as accounts in CRM 3.0. I'm specifically looking to track who an account was assigned to in the past, when it was assigned, etc. Thanks in advance! Have you Tried the c360 tool http://www.c360.com/Audit.aspx "XMcknight" wrote: > I'm looking to find out if there's a way to audit the changes made to records > such as accounts in CRM 3.0. I'm specifically looking to track who an > account was assigned to in the past, when it was assigned, etc. > > Thanks i...

Using the IF function
Ok I have A1 as test, A2:9 as blah, A10 as test and A11:A20 as blah so it looks like this test blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah test blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah What I want to do is make A1 so that IF(A1=???Any of cells A2:20??? then it becomes the same format as A1 is that possible -- fluc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fluci's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2589 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39291 You'd need a macro. A formul...

VLOOKUP in VBA

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

Visible Function In Access
Can I alter the visible function for a field so that it corresponds to my computers date i.e. today is 04/04/07 and the text box on the form is visible when computer clock changes to 05/04/07 text box property visible is set to true? Thanks I'm not sure to completly understand your question/use but yes you can control a fileds visibiliy. The basic synthax would be Me.ControlName.Visible = TrueOrFalse So you could easily create a date check and then change the visible property accordingly. -- Hope this helps, Daniel P "Asif" wrote: > Can I alter the visible fun...

Index Match Functions #2
Has anyone ever combined the Index and Match functions to do lookups? oh yeah! http://www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm UnumProvident User wrote: > Has anyone ever combined the Index and Match functions to do lookups? > > ...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

Specific function to get the sum
Hi all, I have an excel table with data like: ticket amount invoice n=B0 45 145$ 7025.222-(75 ) 45 120$ 7025.222-(75) 45 12$ 7025.222-(25) 46 555$ 7025.235 46 10$ 7025.236 47 188$ 7026.735-(80) 47 52$ 7026.735-(20) What I'd like to do is: to make the sum of each ticket "like 45" but with an argument when the invoice ends with -(75) make sum of ticket 45 =3D [(145$+120$)/75%],if invoice ends ...

combobox and vlookups?
I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu, the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code). Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You shouldn't need code for anything you described here. Set up the combobox with the list fill range, if any. Set the linked cell to the desired cell. Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell from the combo box to lo...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...