viewing CSV file in Excel-2000

I 've got my bank statement as a CSV text file but my Excel2000 fails to
recognise comma as a fiel separator and places each record into a single
cell. How do I get round this?

0
a2893 (5)
9/20/2009 11:55:04 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Select the column, use Date>Text-to-Columns, Delimited and specify comma
best wishes
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"aa" <a@microsoft.ru> wrote in message
> I 've got my bank statement as a CSV text file but my Excel2000 fails to
> recognise comma as a fiel separator and places each record into a single
> cell. How do I get round this?

Excel uses the windows separator for its list separator.

You could go into the control panel|regional settings and make the list
separator the comma.  But since this is a windows setting, you may find you've
caused other problems.

Alternatives would be to rename the .csv file to .txt and when the import data
wizard appears (after you do File|Open), you can specify that it a text file
delimited by commas.

Or since the data is in a single column already, just select that column and use
Data|Text to columns.  Then choose delimited by a comma.

--

Dave Peterson
0

0
a2893 (5)

manipulated a data file in excel
Is there any way to have a button in excel where when I click on it, i will let me choose a data file (by pointing and clicking) that's comm delimited and I can simply sum up an array of numbers and import tha sum into a cell? I don't want to put the text file into th spreadsheet, but rather just sum of the numers I want into a specifi cell. Thanks -- skinnydud ----------------------------------------------------------------------- skinnydude's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1627 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php...

Mail Messages HTML Viewing

Files and Folders in C:\Windows
I'm trying to conserve space on a small HD on a laptop, and would like to know if I can remove the following files and directories. 1) Numerous files and folders in C:\WINDOWS with various names that have modified dates going back to the installation date of XP. C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB873333 C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$ C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB835732$ 2) There are numerous files and folders in the 'C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\' directory with long alphanumeric names ( examples are shown below) C:...

I get a file in use message telling me that the file is locked ?
This is a one user computer and the file is not being used. The box containing the error message says "FILE IN USE". If I reboot I can get into the file once only before having the same error message. I have tried saving the file under a different file name but that file acts the same. I have checked permisions and that is not the problem either .....HELP! ...

excel 2000 convert to excel 2003
Hi I would like to move current excell 2000 spread sheets and open them in 2003 excel. Please help in any way. I have copied my excell 2000 data onto a floppy however it will not open in Excel 2003 XL2000 and XL2003 share exactly the same file format and so should open just fine in either. However, you should never open XL files on floppies - XL uses temporary files, which may exceed the capacity of the floppy. Instead, copy the file from the floppy to your HD before opening. In article <72864281-728A-4B27-8317-A760E6440BB2@microsoft.com>, cityof <cityof@discussions.microsoft...

possible to show an XML file using CHTML?
I have a XML file, and it uses XSL to parse it to HTML. That XSL file also contains javascript. I just want to know if CHTML would be able to display the XML file and parse it usign XSL just like internet explorer does? Is CHTML basically an "IE plugin" that we use in MFC? If so then I'd assume it would work. I just want to make sure.... You can use CHtmlView to display it. Or you can use the IWebBrowser control. http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/simplebrowserformfc.asp AliR. "Kourosh" <kderakhshan@msn.com> wrote in message news:1147717929.593067.319000@v4...

can't open file #2
I created publisher 2000 files on a windows98 SE COMPUTER. I saved the files to disk. Just got a new Vista computer. I installed the publisher 2000 on the new computer. The disk shows the files but publisher says it cannot open them. Any hints? thanks -- joy artisan lampwork beads and jewelry http://wildorchidpotteryandart.com Try copying the saved files from the disk to the hard drive on your new computer and opening them from there. Bruce "wildorchid" wrote: > I created publisher 2000 files on a windows98 SE COMPUTER. I saved the files > to disk. Just got a new Vis...

MS excell 2007 Data verification list
I am attempting to use the list function within data verification for drop down menus. I need a list that is conditional upon the information in another cell. Example: The first cell offers a drop down menu with specific Make of equipment. From what appears in that cell I seek to offer only the Models for that Make of equipment on a list in another cell. I considered using a series of IF statements to run macros however I don’t know how to invoke a macro from within a formula. Any suggestions? Thank You =if(“Trane”,macro,=If(Crrier,macro,=If(Bitzer,macro…))) See Debra D...

how do i print from excel to envelopes
mailing address and return address print directly to envelopes or labels from excel There is not an easy method to do it in Excel without trial and error manipulation. Use Word's mailmerge...........labels and envelopes. Assuming you are using Word for the mailmerge and Excel for the source see these sites for help. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:41:01 -0700, gus <gus@...

Migrate PST file
re: Outlook 2003 I realize the topic has probably been covered ad nausium but I still can't find out how to solve this problem. Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated. I have just bought a new computer (Vista) I installed Office 2003. I chose File/Open/Outlook Data File and pointed to the pst file that was on the old computer. Outlook imported everything into a separate "Personal Folders" list. I want the information all in the main Personal Folders. How do I do this? Also because I've been transferring the old pst folder to the new computer I ...

Making counters in excel
Is there a way to get a box to behave as a counter, so that each time you click on it the numerical value will increase by one. I am trying to create a survey response sheet and this would be a big help. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ToolsMacro>Record New Macro>name it AddOne. Stop the macro recorder before doing anything else; nothing should be recorded. Tools>Macros>*Select the AddOne macro and click Edit. Paste this on a line between t...

File:// Linking...
Why is it that when you link something in Outlook with file:// when clicking on the link it returns the error Outlook 2000: "Cannot find the file 'file://Q:\blahblahblah' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." Outlook 2003 "Cannot find the file "Q:\blahblahblah'. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct." It used to work before any service releases to Outlook 2000 were applied. There are typically no spaces in the filename and if they are I usually replace th...

Charts in Excel
Anyone have a way to create a combined Clustered Column and Stacked Column chart in Excel? I can easily select one or the other, but I would like to have a combination. I'm using Office version 2002 Have a look at http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "JR1" <JR1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BCD33A6-AC57-474C-8C35-E8A93FE060C8@microsoft.com... > Anyone have a way to create a combined Clustered Column and Stacked Column > chart in Excel? I can easily...

Excel simple stock control
I am a service engineer, and i'm looking to use excel to manage my stock better I have tried a few things and it's all manually input/edited I would like to know if it's possibale to use VB, to auto manage these levels IE, 1 box asks for the part number 2nd asks you how many 3rd/4th boxes are "+", "-" When + or - is pressed the part number will automatically add's/subtracts that part level. Say.. I had 10x abcde's I enter 2 in "How Many", then press "-" it will then adjust the level from 10 to 8 My excel sheet would have parts...

Using Access Reports in other EXE file
Hello I'd like to use access reports from any access version XP, 2000 or 97; because of the easy way to build such reports. Have you ever found or built any solutions permitting to reuse such access reports objects in other exe files, developped in Visual Basic, Visual Studio or even Delphi.... Thanks a lot for your suggestions Hi. Most programming languages support launching an executable, so the Snapshot Viewer executable would be a good choice for viewing reports exported from Access as Snapshot (*.SNP) files. Access would not need to be installed on the computer in order to view ...

Excel table is not correctly pasted into PPT and LN
Hi, i would like to haves ome info about this problem: One user cannot paste correctly an excel table (Edit Copy > Paste Special/Image - Paste) from excel 2000 to powerpoint 2000 or lotus notes vs. 4.6 This problem does not exist in word or in onother excel sheet. Coloured cells are right, coloured text is pasted in black. Have you got some ideas to resolve the problem? Thank in advance, Sara (Italy) ...

insert 'x' number of rows in excel
Hi, I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is the result of a 'countA' function. Is this possible? Hi# only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is >the result of a 'countA' function. > >Is this possible? >. > Yes VBA is feasible "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi# > only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? > > >-----Original ...

How to add a configuration file to a MFC project?
hi, I want to add a configuration file to a MFC project ,how an i get that? and I have a command like the following line: copy app.config $(ConfigurationName)\$(TargetFileName).config Where do I need to put? Any ideas would be appreciated! -ja Yes, I already know how to do it,thanks a lot! -ja "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra@yahoo.com> д����Ϣ����:%23ymi%23P%23yGHA.4176@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > What does it mean? Do you want to perform copying as part of build > process? > In VS, you can do so in Pre-Build, Pre-Link and Post-Build steps. You can > specify the...

HTML code fragment options not available in Publisher 2000
Neither the tool on the left toolbar for inserting html code fragment, or the function in the Insert Menu are available. They are both grayed out. How do I create html code fragment in Publisher 2000? You will need a web page built to do it. Start Publisher, create part or all of a web page, then do a File, Save as a web page. Now select Insert, Html code fragment, select an area on your web page (anywhere you can move it later) with the mouse pointer with a left click. A window will open allowing you to write the code for the fragment. -- Don Vancouver, USA "smsbear1" &l...

View Webpage

Forms in two differant views

I need help with Excel formula
I need help with Excel formula (first one is correct but I don't know how to add second formula)? =IF('1'!W16="($E20>2000000,0,IF($E20>100… =""AB8",'1'!W16) or =IF(‘1’!X16="(($E20>5000000,1200,IF($E20… =""AB8",'1'!X16) -- Thx On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 06:31:01 -0800, antoinette <lerouxroux@gmail.com> wrote: >I need help with Excel formula (first one is correct but I don't know how to >add second formula)? >=IF('1'!W16="($E20>2000000,0,IF($E20>100� =""AB8"...