Validation List not showing external source.

I have a external reference on a Data Validation but the list will not
show up unless I have the external reference spreadsheet open.  I can
manually type in the exact selection and it works fine.  Unless I have
the refernced spread sheet open, I can not see the list options.  Is
there a fix for this or is this a limitation on Excel?  Any work
arounds?
0
dchin73 (2)
8/26/2003 2:48:23 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

David,

Did you find the answer?

---

External Email File Attachment Cant Receive
I have my Global Settings - Message Delivery Defaults set for 10240 on both send and receive. I have my SMTP - Protocols - Messages limit also set to 10240. I have my Storage Limits for my store set to unlimited - No check in the 3 boxes. In my Connectors - IMS - I have Allowed priorities all 3 checked. I also have Allowed types both checked. I have having a problem with a 5MB file attachments getting through from the outside. I can send one internally without a problem. We do have an emial filitering tool but this is not stopping them. This is the error I am getting: User@emailad...

Can I display the e-mal contact list as last name, first name?
New to Outlook 2003. When I open a contact list to address an e-mail, the names are displayed firt name, last name. I don't like this. Can I have the list displayed last name, first name as in the actual contact card? Thanks. You can change the display format of the Outlook Address Book here: Tools menu > Email accounts > View/Change existing directories/address books > Click Next > Highlight Outlook Address Book > Click Change "Mr. Tutt" <Mr. Tutt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5239651-5A75-490F-87BA-64B92A344B8D@microsoft.com... &g...

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

Can a DL List be broken down and sent one address per message?
I currently have an exchange 2003 box in a Server 2003 domain. I have 150 odd workers in the field who carry cell phones. I created a Distribution List in a public folder, and used the [add new...] button to place each cell users "text message" address in the list. (5551231234@vtext.com is the format). I did not create contacts or domain/email accounts for these users. They exist no where except for in this DL. Yesterday, I sent an email to supervisors@mydomain.com (supervisors is the list name) from my local exchange account using outlook and all worked fine. It showed up as a...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

Linking body text to multilevel lists that update
When writing large documents with numbered multilevel lists, is it possible to link body text to the numbers so that they both change together? For example: (Text for section 3.5) 3.1.5 Refer to item 2.1. If the document gets revised, and section 2.1 becomes section 3.1, it automatically updates (numbering), but the text in what is now section 4.1.5 still refers to section 2.1, which is incorrect. Can these be linked so that when the number becomes 3.1 (in the numbered multilevel list), the body text will also update automatically? The same situation exists when referenci...

Sending to lists
I have a client who is unable to send to a list of individuals. There is an 'email to all' function from a Web site roster, enabling the user to mail all the people listed. It works for me and for others, and she is using Outlook as well, and the same browser. Does anyone know if this could be from an Outlook setting? I have searched the help index and have found nothing. I have also checked the code behind the site, and its clean. I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks! Lydia What version of Outlook? How many folks are on the list? Are you all on t...

No to HTML mails and yes to show sending address ...
I just started using Outlook 2003 after using Outlook Express for a lon time. I must say that Outlook is great once you get to know it. I spent a lot of time configuring it for my needs and only have tw questions left - two things I loved OE for. :) - Is it possible, when replying to a HTML mail, to automatic reply i normal text? That is that it converts the HTML mail to text and that don't have to do this manually by choosing "text" in the menubar. - When writing a mail in OE there is a field when one always can se the address the mail is sent by. Is it possible to have th...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

Appending a row to List box row source
I would like to append a row to a list box row source that uses a query as it's source. I can think of a way to do this using a union query - but would like to know if there are other options. If the RowSource is a query, then your only option is to add the record to the source of the query, either by adding it to the underlying table, or creating a UNION query that joins the new data to the existing data. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "JimP" <jpockmire@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:464db013$0$4...

Script to list user rights assignment, local sec. policy and audit policy
Dear all, I need to list user rights assignment, local security policy and audit policy of Windows 2003 servers. Request to help me in providing vb script to list out those. Many thanks Narasimham "Narasimham" <vnarasimham@gmail.com> said this in news item news:e0b5057a-56e7-494d-afa2-43ae98d52a0c@e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Dear all, > I need to list user rights assignment, local security policy and audit > policy of Windows 2003 servers. Request to help me in providing vb > script to list out those. > Many thanks > Narasimham Try xcac...

Pivot Tables: Unable to Group and Show Detail
I am trying to group a column of dates by year and month, and I've done it before and it's worked fine. But now it's saying "Cannot group on that Selection". I checked the data and it's in date format and there aren't any blank or null values. It seems like this is a bug because I've done it before with the same exact data. Have any of you had this problem? What am I doing wrong? Thanks! Lis Is it possible that some of your dates are actually text that look like dates? Save the file. Then, in a blank cell type =ISNUMBER(A1), where A1 represents one of...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

Chart showing rates of increase
I am a trainer and have been given the fictitious scenario described below to test my Excel skills. My question is: What is the best way to build a chart to show the RATES OF INCREASE between Price of Crude Oil and the Cost of Heating Oil for three different companies. Here is he scenario: You are asked to put some learning together for a group of litigation attorneys who will be off site for a trial. They need to learn the easiest way to turn an excel spreadsheet into a chart and put it into PowerPoint presentation. The spreadsheets are not very complex they say. They are tracking...

How to show a Dialog that is in maximed state initially
I am trying to show a dialog when a button is pressed. I know that call Dialog d; d.DoModal(); What else show be do be done in order to show the dialog in a maximized state. I added the properties Minimize/Maximize from the properties . Psl guide. Bhargavi You could use a ShowWindow() call in the OnInitDialog() function for the dialog to show it maximized. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/72szh9c7.aspx Tom "Bhargs" <bhargavi_ks2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1150301229.668141.55560@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to show a dialog when a bu...

Viewing Users in List View
When assigning tasks, my manager wishes to be able to see completed and assigned tasks by user. For instance, if he is in Workplace, he would like to be able to sort active and closed activities by User name, either from the view dropdown or maybe by creating a sortable user header. Any suggestions on how we might go about this-I would think there must be a simple way to do it. Thanks in Advance~ Jamie Use the Advanced Find tool to search on Activities. You can search on activities by type, by who they are assigned to, whether they are open or closed, etc. You will probably want to ...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...

Forward email to external address
I am using Exchange from SBS 2003. I am trying to forward mail for a particular user to an external email account. I have set up a contact in ADUC with the appropriate external email address and changed the user's properties to forward incoming mail to the contact. All mail from any domain except the one that is being forwarded to is bounced back to the sender with a 5.7.1 NDR as follows: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: contactname on 1/8/2004 10:25 AM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administ...

Autofilter Lists Problem
I have a spreadsheet that has 1576 rows and 30 columns. When doing spot checks I switch on the Autofiler and use the drop down list to locate the specified value. In my spreadsheet in one column that I have labelled as "Lot" I am unable to locate the specified value. However, I can scroll down and see the value or I can use the CTRL+F function to find the value. So why am I unable to see the value through the AUTOFILTER drop down list when all rows are selected. This has become very frustrating so any help and advice would be great. I am unable to use the AUTOFILTER dropd...

Can't access external hard drive after plugging it in to a mac
Is it possible to recover the files from an external hard drive after plugging it into a mac? Window Vista sees the drive and assigns it a drive letter, but I can't access any of the files and it keeps telling me to format the drive. I have files on it that I don't want to lose. Thanks, RJ On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:20:19 -0700 (PDT), RJ wrote: > Is it possible to recover the files from an external hard drive after > plugging it into a mac? Window Vista sees the drive and assigns it a > drive letter, but I can't access any of the files and it keeps telling &g...

Validation
Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the combobox alone. Thank again Please stay in the ORIGINAL thread. The archives will thank you. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JLong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c49c3b$889b5020$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the > double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the > combobox alone. Thank again ...

distribution list privacy
Is there a way to keep my mail recipients from seeing all of the names in my distribution list. For instance, I have a distribution list named "clients" which obviously contains email addresses of all of my clients. I don't want each recipient(client) to see the complete list of names when he receives an email from me that was sent to the whole group. Is there a solution in both Outlook and Outlook Express? Use the BCC field, do a mail merge or use an application like one of these found here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail E-mail Templates is a pe...

Data Validation
I have set up a data form and have data validation rules on the various input cells. I see that there is an option called "Ignore blanks" in the data validation settings, which is supposed to restrict someone from entering past an input cell without entering valid data, if the "Ignore blanks" box is unchecked. I have tried to do this, but it does not seem to work. Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Provide information, or better yet, a screen capture of the Data Validation dialog box with the Setting tab selected (User ALT+PrintScreen to copy the imag...

public folder not showing in GAL
I've created a public folder calendar. It shows up just fine in the Public Folders, users can create entries etc. I want people to be able to invite the calendar to meetings (so it'll automatically update the public calendar). It works if I invite using the SMTP address of the folder, but I want users to be able to pick it from the Address Book. I went into the advanced properties of the folder in the Exchange Admin tool and unchecked 'hide from address book' but it just won't show up. Any help appreciated. J. ...