Validating sum of 2 cells, same row

Hi-

I have created a row with 2 categories and 2 numerical selection lists
The numerical selection list represents a % allocation and goes fro
0-100 in increments of 5 and the goal is to apply a percent of tim
spent on activities in each category.  The sum of the two %allocatio
cells should equal 100 - is there a way to confirm/validate this befor
the user leaves the row??

eg

Row 1   Category 1    %allocation                Category2
%allocation
Row 2   Activity 1      0-100 (selection list)   Activity 2
0-100(selection list)

Thanks

-Ji

--
jgkoci
jgkocis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3147

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Jim

I don't really see the point of validating it ... or even putting in two
percentages.  If you've only got two things to choose from and you spend x%
of your time doing one of them, you must spend (100-x)% of your time doing
the other one.  By validating, you're just trying to force people to put
50/50 or 40/60 or 30/70 or whatever.

Am I missing something ?

Regards

Trevor

"jgkocis" <jgkocis.2cymr5_1156281310.8894@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:jgkocis.2cymr5_1156281310.8894@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi-
>
> I have created a row with 2 categories and 2 numerical selection lists.
> The numerical selection list represents a % allocation and goes from
> 0-100 in increments of 5 and the goal is to apply a percent of time
> spent on activities in each category.  The sum of the two %allocation
> cells should equal 100 - is there a way to confirm/validate this before
> the user leaves the row??
>
> eg
>
> Row 1   Category 1    %allocation                Category2
> %allocation
> Row 2   Activity 1      0-100 (selection list)   Activity 2
> 0-100(selection list)
>

> Thanks
>
> -Jim
>

> --
> jgkocis
> jgkocis's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31477
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=574402

0
Trevor9259 (673)
8/22/2006 9:48:25 PM
There are actually 4 categories and selections, but for brevity just
explained it as 2

--
jgkocis
jgkocis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31477
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=574402

Credit Card Processors #2
I am in the process of acquiring RMS but I am not sure yet... at the same time I have to choose a credit card processor. I wanted to go with Citibank as all the credit card interfaces are built in and I don't want to sign on with a company that gives me a 24 month equipment contract because that just makes it a hassle to integrate with RMS later and pay rental fee for equipment I don't use. Anyone have any recommendations? i spoke to Citi and they gave me a rate of 1.71 which is okay but do they do check verification? and gift cards? Does anyone get a lower rate then 1.71 from Citi? I ...

Back-up to CD #2
Does the Money 2004 Standard Edition or Premium Edition have hte ability to back-up to a CD (versus a floppy diskette)? Only if packet writing software, such as Direct CD, makes the CD appear to be a regular read-write file system. Can Notepad save a file to your CD? If so, Money should work too. But Money does nothing to prevent you from burning your data file to CD just like you burn any other data file. "Suzi V" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b88901c48946$26689280$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Does the Money 2004 Standard Edition or Premium Editi...

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

Formatting copied cells
How can I format a cell to not display anything when the cell that it is copied from doesnt have any values in it? Hi Brett, I think you are are referring to a formula here? If you have the formula "=A2" in a cell, it will show the value in A2. If A2 is empty, it shows a 0, or even #N/A or something nasty like that. If you change the formula to read "=IF(A2="","",A2)", it will only show a value if there is a value in A2. I hope this is what you were after? "Bret" wrote: > How can I format a cell to not display anything when the ce...

XLS to CSV file in notepad #2
Thanks, I see if that works -- lmk00 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lmk001's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1000 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26901 ...

Incorrect Password #2
My PC crashed and I've had to restore all applications and files. I've reinstalled Money 2002, but when I try to open my last Money file and enter the correct password, I receive a message that the password I entered is incorrect. I've used the same password for years, so I know I'm entering the right password. I also used Microsoft Passport with Money. What do I need to need to fix this problem? Is there something else I need to do to restore Money? I have years of Money data at stake. Thanks for your help. In microsoft.public.money, Bobcat wrote: >My PC crash...

R1C1 reference style #2
I know how to get rid of it now - maybe not permanently, it seems to come back as a default at times. But does anyone know what it's actaully used for? Tools|options|General Tab|check/uncheck R1C1 Reference style. Believe it or not, some people like working this way! (It is a nice way to compare formulas that should be the same, though.) And excel picks it up from the first workbook you opened that session. You may just be unlucky enough to open a workbook that was saved (by someone else???) in R1C1 reference style. Peg P wrote: > > I know how to get rid of it now - maybe ...

In Excel when you click a cell in spreadsheet and move the mouse
In Microsoft Excel 2003 (Windows XP after installation of 2nd pack), when you click a cell in spreadsheet and move the mouse, multiple cells are selected. Repeatedly clicking in other cells continues to select cells instead of clearing the current selection. I have tried to use F8, but there is no EXT. Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "valanddel" <valanddel@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:34B753F5-0FB7-4643-AE1C-8D7AC01600D8@microsoft.com... > In Microsoft Excel 2003 (Windows X...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

How to replace the last digit in a cell with a letter
My cells in a column are filled with amounts for which I have to change the last digit into a letter. E.g. if last digit is 1 and the amount is positive it should be changed into an A if it's negative it should be changed in a J If the last digit is 2 and the amount is positive it should be changed into a B, if it's negative it should be changed into a K. If the last digit is 3 and the amount is positive it should be changed into a C, it it's negative it should be changed into a L. And so on. I tried to use this formula but I'm hitting the 7 nested functions ceiling because I ...

dynamic array #2
Hi you clever peeps! What's the best way to pass a dynamic array from one dialog to another? let me clarify. I'm quite new to C++ so, be nice :-( I have a class CReference, which is an CObArray object. One of the CReference variable is "category", which is a CString object. Since more than one CReference object can belong to the same category, the size of category is not necessarily the same as the size of CReference Object Array. So I've written a crude routinte that creates a dynamic array m_daCat, that goes thru every CReference object and add its category to m_daC...

Change the number of charaters in a cell by adding a zero to the beginning
I have a column with a mix of eight and nine character lengths. I need to add a zero to the beginning of the eight character cells. I tried nine zero's in the custom format with no results. Thanks Select all the cells and Format>Cells>Custom>000000000>OK. You cannot simply "add" a zero to the left (front) of the number. Oh, I suppose you could concatenate... -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB98AF7A-CD89-4611-8C88-07B83D99E4F5@microsoft.com... >...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

Macro for deleting rows and serialising the remaing rows
Macro for deleting rows and serialising the remaing rows ==================================================== I have a spread sheet It's a ToDo List The structure is like this Column A Sl No Column B Task Column C Person Column D Completed To start with I keep entering the tasks in one stretch and take a print out. The first Column (A) will be a serialized. I wil be using this print out for few days. After two/three days, I would like to open the spread sheet and enter fresh tasks For all completed tasks I put x in Col D. What I currently require is a macro to 1.. R...

Z Report ? #2
Can some be so kind as to expalin to me the proper way to do a Z Report. 1) Enter the opening amount at the start of the day 2) Enter closing amounts at the end of the day (Now what is this amount, the amount that is kept in the till or the amount you count for the day?) 3) Finally, print a z report Thanks in advance What we do and you can modify however you need is the following: We count the draw open.(for us a set opening amount) At closing we count it again entering everything in the drawer. After this initial count we run an X report. X reports allow you to change closing informat...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...

excel cell borders
Have Office 2000 on PC & Office X on Mac. Excel in X has a "Draw Borders" tool & toolbar so can draw cell borders with pencil tool. Does any later PC version have same tool? The Draw Borders toolbar is available starting in Excel 2002. If you click the arrow to the right of the Borders button, it's shown at the bottom of the border palette. Gary wrote: > Have Office 2000 on PC & Office X on Mac. Excel in X has a "Draw Borders" > tool & toolbar so can draw cell borders with pencil tool. Does any later PC > version have same tool? --...

try #2
Based on the percentage in table below, I want to calculate Total Cos based on a specific percentage. Cost of works [Class 1 (%)] [Class 2 (%)] On the first $50,000 [11] [7] on the next $75,000 [9] [6.25] on the next $125,000 [7.5] [5.75] on the next $250,000 [6.5] [5.25] on the remainder $500,000 [5] [4.25] Now the fees given is = $1883800. Total Cost =? The steps are like these: On the first $50,000 x (11-7)% = $1,000.00 On the next $75,000 x (9-6.25)% = $2,062.50 On the next $125,000 x (7.5-5.75)% = $5,937.50 On the next $250,000 x (6...

First Office 2008 Update Released 2/29/08 #2
I just got the first 2008 Update and it updates the Microsoft AutoUpdate.app from 1.2 to 1.2.1 Looks like they are getting ready for the real update soon. I have no idea what was change in the Microsoft AutoUpdate.app but I suggest you get it to be ready. ...

Chart Base Line in Pivot table #2
I have a pivot table that shows the time spent on each support ticket. I would like to show a base line at the avarage time spent for all tikets. So if the most time spent on a ticket was 10 and the least was 5 then I would like one streight line to go accross the graph at 7.5. Is this at all posible. Thanks for your help. Steve ...

Validation
Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the combobox alone. Thank again Please stay in the ORIGINAL thread. The archives will thank you. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JLong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c49c3b$889b5020$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the > double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the > combobox alone. Thank again ...

Data Validation
I have set up a data form and have data validation rules on the various input cells. I see that there is an option called "Ignore blanks" in the data validation settings, which is supposed to restrict someone from entering past an input cell without entering valid data, if the "Ignore blanks" box is unchecked. I have tried to do this, but it does not seem to work. Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Provide information, or better yet, a screen capture of the Data Validation dialog box with the Setting tab selected (User ALT+PrintScreen to copy the imag...

Setting up a budget #2
Hello, I need to set up a new accounting/budget system for my family. I've been doing this in Excel for years. I have a 'cash' account spreadsheet with week by week summaries of expenses (really a payment schedule), with budget forecasts for same. The whole thing is filled out at the beginning of the year in red, then the actuals are entered in black. The problem is that I have to do a lot of double entry. At tax time, my spreadsheet isn't 'complete', so I have to go back and enter into a separate spreadsheet all my checks, my wife's checks and both our credi...