Using Time in Excel

I have created a clocking-on style timesheet whereby you enter the time that you start work and time that you finish work and then it calculates how many hours:mins that you have worked and how much overtime has been done.  It does work very well but my question is

Is it possible to create a macro that will enter the current time in a particular cell when a button is pressed?

In the spreadsheet that I have created a button like this would elimate human entry error and could end up been a real asset to companies who want to track the time that there employees work.

Thankyou

..NET GDI+ - Convert BitMap To Jpeg
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b3501ea8-5426-4b9b-accd-8291f3c89dfe/net-gdi--convert-bitma.aspx
0
steven
1/27/2010 12:22:20 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The key combination CTRL-SHIFT-semicolon (or CTRL-colon) inserts the
current time into a cell (followed by <enter>). Similarly, CTRL-
semicolon inserts the date, so if you wanted to insert both the date
and time into a cell you just need to do:

CTRL-semicolon
<space>
CTRL-SHIFT-semicolon
<enter>

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 27, 12:22=A0pm, steven plummer wrote:
> I have created a clocking-on style timesheet whereby you enter the time t=
hat you start work and time that you finish work and then it calculates how=
 many hours:mins that you have worked and how much overtime has been done. =
=A0It does work very well but my question is

> Is it possible to create a macro that will enter the current time in a pa=
rticular cell when a button is pressed?

> In the spreadsheet that I have created a button like this would elimate h=
uman entry error and could end up been a real asset to companies who want t=
o track the time that there employees work.

> Thankyou

> .NET GDI+ - Convert BitMap To Jpeghttp://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/as=
pnet/b3501ea8-5426-4b9b-accd-8...

0
Pete_UK
1/27/2010 12:54:01 PM
Pete has given you a manual method which requires no macro.

You can use a macro if you choose but if you have no other use for VBA in
the workbook it may be better to keep the workbook code-free so's users
don't become apprehensive when they get the warning.

Sub NOWTIME()
    ActiveCell.Value = Format(Now(), "h:mm:ss AM/PM")
End Sub

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 04:22:20 -0800, steven plummer wrote:

>I have created a clocking-on style timesheet whereby you enter the time that you start work and time that you finish work and then it calculates how many hours:mins that you have worked and how much overtime has been done.  It does work very well but my question is
>
>Is it possible to create a macro that will enter the current time in a particular cell when a button is pressed?
>
>In the spreadsheet that I have created a button like this would elimate human entry error and could end up been a real asset to companies who want to track the time that there employees work.
>
>Thankyou
>

>Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>.NET GDI+ - Convert BitMap To Jpeg
>http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b3501ea8-5426-4b9b-accd-8291f3c89dfe/net-gdi--convert-bitma.aspx

0
Gord

Excel slow to open a book, but fast empty
Cheers! My Excel 2002 has been working fine, but lately has got a problem: it is very, very slow when opening an xls file by clicking it. It is fast as it should when I open it empty from the start menu. If I create the simplest possible book by just typing something in one cell and saving it, opening it is still slow. Perhaps this format is easier: 0. Excel has been working as it should. 1. Fast when running from start menu, opening an empty book. 2. Slow when clicking an xls file, independent of book complexity. Excel comes up with a transparent main window, but with everything else visi...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Why does Excel lag Word in the simple stuff?
Like choosing the default file location in Office 2007? Like having to alter basic Windows parameters just to change the default type for comments? Little stuff that says a lot about the quality of Microsoft programming and interface design. For several versions Microsoft said it was impossible, personal correspondence, to have combo-boxes in Word forms without writing macros although they were coded into Access. Voila, combo-boxes achieve the impossible in Word 2007. Ya gotta love (or something opposite) those guys . . Either way you get to pay full OS prices for Vista SP3 aka Win 7. ...

Add times, convert to number not time of day?
Okay, this should be pretty simple. 17:24:00 + 00:24:00 = 7 5:00 PM + 9:30 PM = 4.5 That's what i'm trying to achieve. A start time, a finish time, and the time it took between them. Not a clock time of 5pm + 9pm = 2am How can this be done? thanks, Benjamin i forgot, i might want to add this in. I did this: a1 - 9:30 a2 - 10:00 a3 = a2-a1 the result is .02 ??? =MOD(B1-A1,1) format as hh:mm or [h]:mm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "spezticle" <spezticle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7093FF53-BA3B-4003-B4D3-65941455C6FB@microsoft.com... >...

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

using forms

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

Using Spanish on Publisher

EXCELL Protection
There needs to be better protection on locked cells. It is possible to alter the formatting of a locked cell by pasting into the cell. Example pasting an entry copied from a % format into a currancy format changes the cell to %. This also follows with coulours etc. Secondly a formula in a locked cell can be corrupted by inadvertantly removing cells that it refers to and then replacing them. Mald Hi have you protected the sheet? (Tools - Protection') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mald wrote: > There needs to be better protection on locked cells. > > It is ...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Sending a message at a later time
I would like to know how I could send my messges at a later time. How would I go by doing so. 1.. On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard, and then click New. 2.. In the Which type of rule do you want to create list, click Check messages after sending, and then click Next. 3.. Click Next to have this rule apply to all messages, or, if you want to limit the messages that the rule applies to, in the Which condition(s) do you want to check list, select any options you want. 4.. In the What do you want to do with the message list, select defer delivery by a number of minutes. (Deliver...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Excel Pivot Table with Access
I have Excel Pivot Tables that link to an access database to pull only certain info. I would like users to be able to update their individual pivot table without being able to change the query to include additional information. When I disable pivot table use, the pivot table won't update on open. Thanks for any help. -- Jack ...