Using text from cell in a formula

I am trying to use text from within one cell to be used in a formula of
another to reference a tab name. See below for example:

A         B
SOG       =SOG!F4

I want to be able to reference the text "SOG" for the tab name in the
formula. That way I don't have to type the name twice.

Peace,

CyberSOG

excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
try
=INDIRECT("'" & A1 & "'!F4")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

<jessemsawyer@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I am trying to use text from within one cell to be used in a formula
of
> another to reference a tab name. See below for example:
>
> A         B
> SOG       =SOG!F4
>
> I want to be able to reference the text "SOG" for the tab name in the
> formula. That way I don't have to type the name twice.
>
> Peace,
>
> CyberSOG

0
frank.kabel (11126)
12/7/2004 4:23:12 PM
Very nice. That worked perfectly.
I have been trying to get that to work for like 3 years.

Thanks again.

Very nice. That worked perfectly.
I have been trying to get that to work for like 3 years.

Thanks again.

VBA: move to the next cell down from anywhere in the sheet
I am deleting rows based on a value in a column (< 16) and if the valu is 16 or greater I want to move down to the next row and check tha value and so on. i am using a Do Until value = "". What is the code for moving down to the next cell below ActiveCell -- jm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2903 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48770 Activecell.Offset(1,0).Select I would not recommend this though. If you want to dele...

character limit in cell?
I merged several cells and entered text. I have it set to 'wrap text' so it will all fit in the merged cells. If the text is only 1/2 of the third row it is all displayed. However, if I enter any more text than that it displays as '#######'. Is there a limit on the number of characters I can enter? Can that be changed. There is still room in the merged cells to hold more text. Abby, You don't seem to be getting any takers on this one. ####, to my knowledge, shows up only when you have a number in a cell (not text), and it's too big to display in its entir...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Formula Syntax
Hi Excel Forum, I believe the following formulas all find the MINIMUM value that is NO = zero (<>0) and produce the same results. I am unsure of their syntax Can you explain the syntax of the following formulas and th differences between them: =MIN(IF(A1:A20,A1:A20)) =MIN(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20)) =MIN(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20,"")) How does the first formula work and, if there is a zero 0 avoi returning a zero 0 without mentioning NOT = zero <>0? what are the quotation marks for and what do they do? When would it be preferable to use one syntax rather than anoth...

Paste as text not HTML
In WOrd 2007 one can FINALLY paste info from a web page as text as the default, not as HTML. Is this available in Excel 2007? I can't find it. -- Für Elise - Support the Breast Cancer & Heart Foundations ...

Using Spanish on Publisher

Printing Problems (cells printing on top of one another)
When printing cells are merged together like the they have been shifted up half a row height. This problem is restriced to one user on one system (Windows 2000 Pro and Office 2000). The problem is same on a single sheet workbook or a multi sheet workbook. The printer setting keep reverting back to 11 sheet tall by 1 sheet wide. This produces an unclear image through print preview. You can manually reset the default to 1 sheet wide by 1 sheet long which corrects the print preview but not the printed output. I avoid merged cells like the plague - full of problems. I guess that you ...

Formula staying as a formula in a cell?
Does anyone know why a formula stays a formula in a cell? I know that using the aspostrophe makes it like a string, like '=blah+blah, but this one doesn't...I even have made the cell General and made sure that calculate automatic was selected. This thing is driving me nuts. Any suggestions??? You can't just format the cell as general if it was text to start with. You need to format as general AND then hit F2 and then enter. the other possibility is that you have the Formulas view turned on in Tools / Options / View Tab / Uncheck Show Formulas in Window options. Ideally you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

how do you Create flashing Text
I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to flash or blink. How do I do this? Ask this here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign&cat=en_US_1845e149-582a-4e62-8d76-f1c90f948f44&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "lukieguy22" <lukieguy22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E40D83D-8E98-40A7-ABE1-94307073C79E@microsoft.com... >I am creating a newsletter and want one of the titles in the newsletter to > flash ...

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Recalc of SUM() that refers to a cell across a range of worksheets
I'm using Excel 2003 w/ SP2 and have encountered a problem I don't recall having before. I have a workbook where a summary sheet is used to aggregate the values in each of the cells in the rest of the sheets by using a formula with following syntax: =sum('sheet1:sheetx'!Cn), where "sheet1" is the name of the first sheet in the range of contiguous sheets, "sheetx" is the name of the last sheet in that range, "C" is the pertinent column letter for a cell (the columns in this workbook represent years) and "n" is the pertinent row numb...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...