using named cells across worksheets

I've named various cells after producing a multi-worksheet model. The named
cells can be applied in the worksheet they are in but I can't see how to
apply them across other worksheets. At the moment, the only option I can
think of is manually updating every formula in all the connected worksheets!
Any ideas.

Nick
0
Maloney (3)
3/20/2005 11:43:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You defined the names so that the names included the worksheet name, too?

Sheet1!test
sheet2!test
Sheetx!test

Then you can just use them by making sure you include the complete name:

=sum(sheet1!test,sheet2!test,sheetn!test)

Is that what you meant???

--

Dave Peterson
0

If you actually meant sheets within a single workbook, Dave's answer is the
way to go.  If you mean interconnected workbooks, you'll have to qualify the
reference to the named range with the name of the workbook file and the
sheet name.  To see the actual format for the reference:

1) open the workbook where you want to reference the named range
2) navigate to the cell that will contain the link
3) type an equals sign
4) press Ctrl-F6 until you've activated the workbook with the named range
5) press the F3 key to list the named ranges and select the one of interest
and click on OK
6) press the Enter key

Your cell will now have the exact format you need to use to link to the
named range

Duke

"Nick Maloney" <Nick Maloney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've named various cells after producing a multi-worksheet model. The
> named
> cells can be applied in the worksheet they are in but I can't see how to
> apply them across other worksheets. At the moment, the only option I can
> think of is manually updating every formula in all the connected
> worksheets!
> Any ideas.
>
> Nick

0
Duke

VBA: move to the next cell down from anywhere in the sheet
I am deleting rows based on a value in a column (< 16) and if the valu is 16 or greater I want to move down to the next row and check tha value and so on. i am using a Do Until value = "". What is the code for moving down to the next cell below ActiveCell -- jm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2903 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48770 Activecell.Offset(1,0).Select I would not recommend this though. If you want to dele...

character limit in cell?
I merged several cells and entered text. I have it set to 'wrap text' so it will all fit in the merged cells. If the text is only 1/2 of the third row it is all displayed. However, if I enter any more text than that it displays as '#######'. Is there a limit on the number of characters I can enter? Can that be changed. There is still room in the merged cells to hold more text. Abby, You don't seem to be getting any takers on this one. ####, to my knowledge, shows up only when you have a number in a cell (not text), and it's too big to display in its entir...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

E-mail Name
I am using Outlook 2000. When I press To: on a new e- mail, the names for my contacts are first last. I would like them to be last, first. I tried going into the Tools, options, contact options, name and filing options but it didn't work. Help! Find the properties of your Outlook Address Book service (method depends on mode in which OL2k is installed - this can be found in help | about) and you should be able to set the display defaults as "file as" rather than the inane "first last". Lisa wrote: > I am using Outlook 2000. When I press To: on a new e- > ...

Multiple Worksheet
I'm not sure how to explain this, but here we go. I have a workbook w/ multiple worksheets. The first worksheet is titled ALL. This includes all information from other worksheets. How can I have certain information transfer to other worksheets by recognizing initials? Basically if the "All" worksheet has has an S listed it - can I transfer to worksheet titled Scott w/o the beating of copy and paste? Thanks in advance. -- bonzai18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bonzai18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

Using Spanish on Publisher

Printing Problems (cells printing on top of one another)
When printing cells are merged together like the they have been shifted up half a row height. This problem is restriced to one user on one system (Windows 2000 Pro and Office 2000). The problem is same on a single sheet workbook or a multi sheet workbook. The printer setting keep reverting back to 11 sheet tall by 1 sheet wide. This produces an unclear image through print preview. You can manually reset the default to 1 sheet wide by 1 sheet long which corrects the print preview but not the printed output. I avoid merged cells like the plague - full of problems. I guess that you ...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Formula staying as a formula in a cell?
Does anyone know why a formula stays a formula in a cell? I know that using the aspostrophe makes it like a string, like '=blah+blah, but this one doesn't...I even have made the cell General and made sure that calculate automatic was selected. This thing is driving me nuts. Any suggestions??? You can't just format the cell as general if it was text to start with. You need to format as general AND then hit F2 and then enter. the other possibility is that you have the Formulas view turned on in Tools / Options / View Tab / Uncheck Show Formulas in Window options. Ideally you...

Using XML with ASP.NET

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

Refresh data in Protected worksheet
Does the work sheet protection work properly when refreshing data from access. I have the range I want to refresh Unlocked and unhidden and the rest of the worksheet protected, but when i refresh it tells me the worksheet is protected and I cant refresh. Is there something I'm missing or is this a shortcoming of worksheet protection? KT just hazarding two guesses. are you talking about a macro that does it? if so... are you providing a password to unprotect before you refresh the data? ActiveSheet.Unprotect "password" 'your refresh code would go after the above sta...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Recalc of SUM() that refers to a cell across a range of worksheets
I'm using Excel 2003 w/ SP2 and have encountered a problem I don't recall having before. I have a workbook where a summary sheet is used to aggregate the values in each of the cells in the rest of the sheets by using a formula with following syntax: =sum('sheet1:sheetx'!Cn), where "sheet1" is the name of the first sheet in the range of contiguous sheets, "sheetx" is the name of the last sheet in that range, "C" is the pertinent column letter for a cell (the columns in this workbook represent years) and "n" is the pertinent row numb...

Allow temporarily use of right click