Using Macros to remove a name from a list

I own a small business with roughly 45 employees (mostly teenagers).  There's
lots of turnover.  I've got a spreadsheet that I use to track tips according
to the role and shift that our staff works.  My manager has the ability to
select the staff member who earned the tip from an in-cell drop down list
(using DV).  Here's my question.

I want to make it really easy for my managers to add or delete staff members
from the drop down list.  I've created a separate worksheet with two
sections: "add staff member" and "delete staff member".  When they want to
add a staff member, they put the name(s) into a predefined box and click the
"add staff member" button I created.  In the background, a macro copies the
new staff member names, pastes them at the bottom of the source list for the
drop down, and then sorts the names in alphabetical order.  It works well.

I can't figure out the right approach for the "delete staff member" process.
 I've tried in column B (right next to the source list) using the OR function
to return a true or false when comparing the names in the source list with
the name(s) in the "delete staff member" box.  If the OR function returns
"False" (meaning that the name doesn't match one  of the names in the delete
section), then I copy the name in the source list to column C.  But if it
returns "True", then I'm returning "" as the value.  My problem with this
approach is I can't figure out how to get excel to delete the blank cells and
move the non-blank cells up.

If there's a better way to do it, I'm all ears.  If this is the right
approach and there's a way to automatically delete the blank cells and get
the non-blanks to move up, I'd welcome that as well.

Pat
0
pat6918 (191)
6/14/2009 5:56:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you have a defined name for your list (as you should), then simply
deleting the row that the name is on should do it for you.
      If desired, send your file to my address below along with this msg and
a clear explanation of what you want and before/after examples.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I own a small business with roughly 45 employees (mostly teenagers).
>There's
> lots of turnover.  I've got a spreadsheet that I use to track tips
> according
> to the role and shift that our staff works.  My manager has the ability to
> select the staff member who earned the tip from an in-cell drop down list
> (using DV).  Here's my question.
>
> I want to make it really easy for my managers to add or delete staff
> members
> from the drop down list.  I've created a separate worksheet with two
> sections: "add staff member" and "delete staff member".  When they want to
> add a staff member, they put the name(s) into a predefined box and click
> the
> "add staff member" button I created.  In the background, a macro copies
> the
> new staff member names, pastes them at the bottom of the source list for
> the
> drop down, and then sorts the names in alphabetical order.  It works well.
>
> I can't figure out the right approach for the "delete staff member"
> process.
> I've tried in column B (right next to the source list) using the OR
> function
> to return a true or false when comparing the names in the source list with
> the name(s) in the "delete staff member" box.  If the OR function returns
> "False" (meaning that the name doesn't match one  of the names in the
> delete
> section), then I copy the name in the source list to column C.  But if it
> returns "True", then I'm returning "" as the value.  My problem with this
> approach is I can't figure out how to get excel to delete the blank cells
> and
> move the non-blank cells up.
>
> If there's a better way to do it, I'm all ears.  If this is the right
> approach and there's a way to automatically delete the blank cells and get
> the non-blanks to move up, I'd welcome that as well.
>
> Pat

0
dguillett1 (2487)
6/14/2009 6:09:25 PM

Sorting a list, moves blanks to the bottom.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USA

wrote in message
[...]

Hi,

The manual command to delete the cell and move the other ones up is Edit,
Delete, Shift cells up, of Press Ctrl+- (control minus)

The macro line for this is

Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
or
ActiveCell.Delete Shift:=xlUp
or
Range("A5").Delete Shift:=xlUp

(xlUp is XL not X1)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Pat" wrote:

> I own a small business with roughly 45 employees (mostly teenagers).  There's
> lots of turnover.  I've got a spreadsheet that I use to track tips according
> to the role and shift that our staff works.  My manager has the ability to
> select the staff member who earned the tip from an in-cell drop down list
> (using DV).  Here's my question.
>
> I want to make it really easy for my managers to add or delete staff members
> from the drop down list.  I've created a separate worksheet with two
> sections: "add staff member" and "delete staff member".  When they want to
> add a staff member, they put the name(s) into a predefined box and click the
> "add staff member" button I created.  In the background, a macro copies the
> new staff member names, pastes them at the bottom of the source list for the
> drop down, and then sorts the names in alphabetical order.  It works well.
>
> I can't figure out the right approach for the "delete staff member" process.
>  I've tried in column B (right next to the source list) using the OR function
> to return a true or false when comparing the names in the source list with
> the name(s) in the "delete staff member" box.  If the OR function returns
> "False" (meaning that the name doesn't match one  of the names in the delete
> section), then I copy the name in the source list to column C.  But if it
> returns "True", then I'm returning "" as the value.  My problem with this
> approach is I can't figure out how to get excel to delete the blank cells and
> move the non-blank cells up.
>
> If there's a better way to do it, I'm all ears.  If this is the right
> approach and there's a way to automatically delete the blank cells and get
> the non-blanks to move up, I'd welcome that as well.
>
> Pat

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

E-mail Name
I am using Outlook 2000. When I press To: on a new e- mail, the names for my contacts are first last. I would like them to be last, first. I tried going into the Tools, options, contact options, name and filing options but it didn't work. Help! Find the properties of your Outlook Address Book service (method depends on mode in which OL2k is installed - this can be found in help | about) and you should be able to set the display defaults as "file as" rather than the inane "first last". Lisa wrote: > I am using Outlook 2000. When I press To: on a new e- > ...

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Exchange 2003 removing Internet Headers on incoming mail
Our exchange 2003 server strips out the internet headers. We have a catchall internet mailbox which is collected by exchange POP3 and then forwarded to all internal mailboxes by virtual SMTP. Is there a setting to prevent the headers being stripped out? At first I though it was Outlook 2003, but I've enabled the DWORD registry setting "SaveAllMIMENotJustHeaders" which shows only the internal receipt into virtual SMTP and nothing else. Regards Anthony On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:58:19 +0100, "Anthony Hunt" <ach@kl2.com> wrote: >Our exchange 2003 server ...

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Remove Payroll trx amount limit of 9999.99
Please remove the payroll transaction amount limit of 9999.99. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=26a7d8dd-de14-43de-a900-e4b751f75e92&dg=microsoft.public....

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

Removing License for a CRM user
Hi, When I am trying to remove a license for a CRM USer iam getting following Error. Err: The selected object could not be found. Verify that the object exists in both the database and Active Directory But the User account is active in Active directory.What could be the issue? How can release the license Help needed Regards, Raju Raju, Are you trying to do this via the web interface or the deployment manager. Which ever your using try the other and see if the message still occours. I had this problem using the deployment manager, but by using the web interface got round i...

remove mail messages with virus
Hello, I am attempting to remove all messages containing a virus automatically received with Outlook Express or Outlook (that is the message does not appear in the inbox but is simply deleted). The problem is that AV Software such as Norton or Mcafee, do not allow the removal of messages containing viruses, but are delivered with a text attachment indicating that the virus has been removed. Inbox rules do not allow message management based on the attachemnt name or content. Thank you in advance ...

help with cell referencing in named ranges
I have a named range covering about 30 columns of data. I'd like to lookup within the named range based on values in the 1st column, and a specific date which is the label on top of each of the other 29 columns. I have typed in a new column number as necessary, but I'd like to automate the column number by looking at a separate cell which gives the date. Ex: Dates across the top of the named range are 1/1/90, 1/1/91, etc thru 1/1/2003(in sheet1). Lets say I have a cell in sheet2(d1)that has the date 1/1/2003. In that same sheet starting in cell a1 I have a value which ...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...