Updating grouped cells

I am trying to select only the lowest level cells in a spreadsheet with
grouped columns.

The spreadsheet has cost centres grouped into departments.  The
departments are grouped into divisions.  The cost centres get their
values from other sheets and workbooks.

I would like to be able to change the formulas in the cost centre
columns only - without disturbing the sum formulas in the department
and division columns.

Is there a quick way to select only the cost centre cells in a row
without selecting them individually?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Probably not. But if you have to do that frequently, why not select the cost
centres individually (I know, that's what you want to avoid, but you have to
do it only once) and give this selection a name in the 'name box' (the upper
left thing). Next time just select your cost centre(s) from that name box.

Joerg

"Tripper" <tripper648@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to select only the lowest level cells in a spreadsheet with
> grouped columns.
>
> The spreadsheet has cost centres grouped into departments.  The
> departments are grouped into divisions.  The cost centres get their
> values from other sheets and workbooks.
>
> I would like to be able to change the formulas in the cost centre
> columns only - without disturbing the sum formulas in the department
> and division columns.
>
> Is there a quick way to select only the cost centre cells in a row
> without selecting them individually?

0
no3581 (99)
1/12/2007 3:52:33 AM
Thanks Joerg - that's a good idea.  The only problem is I usually only
want to select one row to copy a new formula to, not all the rows and
not always the same row.

I might have to sharpen my VBA skills and create a macro to do it.

The moral of the story is:  Don't group columns until you are sure the
model is stable.

I have also considered placing only the cost centres in a group of
rows, then only the departments in a different group of rows, and
finally only the divisions in a third group of rows.  I could use some
hyperlinks to mimic the expanding and collapsing that grouping
accomplishes.  It wouldn't be so elegant, but it would be a lot easier
to maintain.

Tripper

Joerg wrote:
> Probably not. But if you have to do that frequently, why not select the cost
> centres individually (I know, that's what you want to avoid, but you have to
> do it only once) and give this selection a name in the 'name box' (the upper
> left thing). Next time just select your cost centre(s) from that name box.
>
> Joerg

Update for MS Money 2005?

Cell Editing Macro
I am looking for a way to edit a cell and put quotation marks around the contents of that cell using a macro (or some way of automating this). The reason being that this file is being imported into another program and the syntax requires quotation marks around each value. The original file is comma delimited and the contents are both numbers and words. Any help towards a solution is greatly appreciated. thanks Tyler mcleant at hotmail dot com Styler, Try writing the file with the Text Write program at www.tushar-mehta.com. It has an option to put all fields in quotes. -- Regards fro...

what command shifts all cells in a column up or down?
Accidentally did something in an Excel worksheet to shift all cells in a particular column down. Do not know the command(s) or keystrokes to reverse what I did and shift all cells in the column up. select the inserted cell Edit>Delete when asked, click "Shift cells up" -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "marco" <marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0CAFF80-291E-4A62-9D52-980D94F74378@microsoft.com... > Accidentally did something in an Excel worksheet to shift all cells in a > particular column down. Do not know the command(s) or keystrokes...

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

is there an easy way to move parts of cells around
we have an excel sheet which is keeping track of dart player team points over a four week competition. Each week the couple (one guy and one girl) compete in a dart tournament, to hopefully win and get the most points. Second place comes with less points, third has less again, and so on. In order to use "sum" we have entered the information along one row. Now when it is finished, we would like a quick and easy way to have the two player who played together to be placed one under the other. For example Billy-Joe Beckett would end up in one cell and Debralee would be in the cell direct...

Update question

CRM Redeployment
I'm trying to redeploy a version of our live CRM onto a test image. Whenever I run the redeployment tool, I keep getting the following error: "An error occurred when populating Microsoft CRM user groups. Ensure that CRM user accounts are accessible from the current domain and run the wizard again." I've given all the users local logon privileges, but I can't do anything to the CRM group permissions until the tool actually creates them. I'm missing something here - any idea why this error keeps popping up and how to fix it? Thanks. ...

Excel cells changes number format automatically
I am using Excel 2007. Many of the cells I am working on are in general format where I store various numbers for analysis. These values change itself to date format occassionally creating whole lot of work for me to change them back to general format. How can I solve this issue? Also in my pivot table, my source data is in general format. Still when I click on sub total in any catagory in the table to find details about it, formats are changed date format in the new sheet it pops up. Can someone help resolve this issue. ...

Counting cells with a specific background colour
I have a spreadsheet with several rows. The background of the rows can either be coloured Red, Orange, Green or white. What I want to do is have a running total for each colour, so that if a row is set with a green background it will increment the Green total by one. If an Orange row is changed to Red, the Orange count will drop by one, and the Red count will go up by one. Is this possible, and if so, how? Rgds Duncan One way: Assuming that the colors aren't applied by Conditional Formatting: http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm If they are applied by CF, do a conditional...

How update entity in post update?

How to format an entire row a certain color depending on the value in a cell?
Howdy, Can anyone of you excel gods help me with the following? I have a small spreedsheet (excel 2003) set up like the following to help me keep track of my music collection: A B C D 1 Title Artist Year Format (1=LP, 2=CD, 3=Tape) 2 HardDaysNight Beatles 1966 1 3 Crossroads Eric Clapton 1985 2 I would like to know at a glance by color coding, what the ratio of LPs,CDs,&Tapes make up my collection. I've figured o...

Preferred file group
Our application records transactional events (maybe 300K to 500K rows per day) on a separate file group called HISTORY. I was wondering if there are performance considerations when creating indices on this history table. That is, do I get a performance improvement if the index resides in the default file group or if it resides in my HISTORY file group. Thanks in advance, Gary Hi ary, You can create a seprate file for the indexes, that would help as the index read/writes would be from a seperate file. Sriram www.sqllike.com > Our application records transactional event...

When cells with dates don't format
I have some cells which contain dates. These dates are a link from another data source (Bloomberg) and when I try to formatt the cells, I cannot. They will only display the date in mm/dd/yyyy formatt. Any ideas? Thanks My first guess is that the cells are coming in as text. Look for an apostrophe (" ' ") in front of the data in the cell. If not, try using "text to columns" (select the entire column, click Data, Text to Columns, Finish). Then, attempt to re-format the cells (or entire column) as a date with the form that you want. Also, make sure ...

latest update too MSCFV2

Public Folder permissions for Groups/DL's and Native mode.
Running Exch2003 SP2 in Win2003. I've got problems assigning permissions to public folders using groups/distribution lists. I get an error the permissions cannot be saved. Using individual users however does work. At first I thought this was due to the fact the we were still running Exchange in mixed-mode. That's also what the event log tips me about. I switched to Native Exchange mode since I don't need pre-Exchange2000 servers, but the error is still there. I rebooted all Exchange servers. My active-dir is still in mixed-mode, but I'm pretty sure I read that the to m...

Dynamic Menu update

IF on a range of cells
Hello Everybody, I am working in Excel 2003 with two lists, dates and prices in columns A and B respectively. I am trying to use IF worksheet function to find if any prices in the prices column match a certain figure (say $24), if a match is found I want to return a corresponding date from the adjacent column, i.e. column A. For example, if I am searching for $24 in prices list and it is found in B37 then I want to return the date from A37. Is it possible? If yes then how? Despite my years of extensive experience with Excel, I haven't been able to figure that out. Than...

How do I match values from cells to a list of info
Which function would I use to link data entered in to cells to the corresponding value in the chart. A B C D 1 1 1.5 2 2 .5 2 7 12 3 1 3 8 13 4 1.5 4 9 14 5 2 5 10 15 6 2.5 6 11 16 According to the chart 2x1.5=10. If one cell has the value of 2 another cell has the value of 1.5, is there a function to connect the info? Sorry if the question makes no sense, I am struggling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One way... A10 = vertical lookup ...

online updates for money2003(not updating)