update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file

I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to
reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every
time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one
tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file,
including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a
clue how to do it. I have a few questions:

Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!)

I did search the web some and found the following that looks
interesting:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=215162&messageID=2195715

Is this a starting point I could work with? Will this method described
above copy the formats?

Thanks for any suggestions!

John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/14/2007 3:30:25 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about just opening the second workbook, copying that worksheet to the
workbook that you want, then closing that second workbook.

The could would look something like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

    Dim wkbkName As String
    Dim wksName As String
    Dim testStr As String
    Dim wkbk As Workbook
    Dim wks As Worksheet

    wkbkName = "C:\my documents\excel\book1.xls"
    wksName = "Sheet133"

    testStr = ""
    On Error Resume Next
    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
    On Error GoTo 0

    If testStr = "" Then
        MsgBox wkbkName & vbLf & "is not available"
        Exit Sub
    End If

    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=wkbkName)

    Set wks = Nothing
    On Error Resume Next
    Set wks = wkbk.Worksheets(wksName)
    On Error GoTo 0

    If wks Is Nothing Then
        wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
        MsgBox wksName & vbLf & "isn't in" & wkbkName
        Exit Sub
    End If

    On Error Resume Next
    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(wksName).Delete
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    On Error GoTo 0

    wks.Copy _
        before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1)

    wkbk.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

I appreciate expertise in  replying to my inquiry, thanks.

Years ago I actually did some coding so I'm just dangerous enough to
get a flavor of what you are suggesting be done in what you provided
below. Man, I wish I could sit down and talk with you! Let me ask a
few questions and make some statements about your code:

I see a statement "on error go to 0" but I don't understand what "0"
refers to?

Likewise, "on error resume next", what "next" is this referring to, I
don't see any next statements in the code?

There is a lot of error checking that I think could be removed since I
know the file exists and where it is found.

Would this macro have to be run after the spreadsheet is opened or
does the action take place each time the file is opened? (see, I'm
really ignorant of how these things work!)

I have seen the getsarted link before and maybe I need to try and work
through it sometime!

On Mon, 14 May 2007 06:53:40 -0500, Dave Peterson
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>How about just opening the second workbook, copying that worksheet to the
>workbook that you want, then closing that second workbook.
>
>The could would look something like:
>
>Option Explicit
>Sub auto_open()
>
>    Dim wkbkName As String
>    Dim wksName As String
>    Dim testStr As String
>    Dim wkbk As Workbook
>    Dim wks As Worksheet
>
>    wkbkName = "C:\my documents\excel\book1.xls"
>    wksName = "Sheet133"
>
>    testStr = ""
>    On Error Resume Next
>    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    If testStr = "" Then
>        MsgBox wkbkName & vbLf & "is not available"
>        Exit Sub
>    End If
>
>    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=wkbkName)
>
>    Set wks = Nothing
>    On Error Resume Next
>    Set wks = wkbk.Worksheets(wksName)
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    If wks Is Nothing Then
>        wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
>        MsgBox wksName & vbLf & "isn't in" & wkbkName
>        Exit Sub
>    End If
>
>    On Error Resume Next
>    Application.DisplayAlerts = False
>    ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(wksName).Delete
>    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
>    On Error GoTo 0
>
>    wks.Copy _
>        before:=ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1)
>
>    wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
>
>End Sub
>
>If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
>

>John Keith wrote:
>>
>> I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to
>> reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every
>> time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one
>> tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file,
>> including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a
>> clue how to do it. I have a few questions:
>>
>> Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!)
>>
>> I did search the web some and found the following that looks
>> interesting:
>>
>> http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=215162&messageID=2195715
>>
>> Is this a starting point I could work with? Will this method described
>> above copy the formats?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions!
>>
>> John Keith
>> kd0gd@juno.com

John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/15/2007 5:10:40 AM
There are things that can cause your code to break.

Trying to open a file that doesn't exist is one of those.

> >    testStr = ""
> >    On Error Resume Next
> >    testStr = Dir(wkbkName)
> >    On Error GoTo 0

"On Error Resume Next" tells excel's VBA to ignore any error that it sees.  That
I as the programmer expect that an error may (not will, just may) occur.

Then I do the check (Dir()).

Then the "on Error goto 0" tells excell to go back checking for errors.  I don't
expect any more in the code (famous last words!).  If an error is found, excel's
VBA will do what it wants--pop up an ugly, irritating error.

There are only a couple of checks in the code.  You could remove them if you
wanted.  You'd probably end up saving a second over the next year!  I wouldn't
remove them.

And by calling the procedure Auto_Open and placing it into a General module, the
code will run each time you open the workbook (well, if you allow macros to
run).

It couldn't hurt to skim David McRitchie's getstarted page--maybe bookmark it
and come back later when you have more time.

--

Dave Peterson
0
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>There are things that can cause your code to break.

Dave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the items I
questioned in my previous post. For years I've wanted to learn VBA,
maybe this challenge will get me started. As good as the excel news
groups are I still wish I had a local mentor  :-(

PS - I think I have a good book, Pure Visual Basic by Dan Fox, but
every book I've seen assumes a level of understanding that I don't
think I'm at.
John Keith
kd0gd@juno.com
0
kd0gd (97)
5/17/2007 3:13:19 AM
I don't own Dan Fox's book, but I have a nice "get started" book from John
Walkenbach.
http://j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook25.htm

(Actually, I have an earlier version)

Debra Dalgleish has a list of books at her site:
http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

You may want to check your local bookstore/internet site and you can see if any
are worth adding to your library.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Outlook data file check
Hello, I am using Outlook 2007 on XPSP2. Quite often on startup I get a message the Outlook is doing a file check and performance may be slow. I also often get on computer startup a message requesting me to send an error report to Microsoft that includes a few episodes of Outlook not responding. Any idea what this could be about and how to prevent both? -- Thanks, Bob ...

Backing Up Money Files
Do any versions of Money allow backing up data to cds, rather than floppy discs? All of them allow it in the sense that they don't prevent or preclude it. None of them allow it in the sense of enabling it by providing their own CD burning engine. See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q51 for the FAQs treatment of this incredibly FAQ. "Wade" <wstarl@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:083201c38627$333d0770$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Do any versions of Money allow backing up data to cds, > rather than floppy discs? A good strategy would be to back up to second hard disk,...

Update question

can not add data to existing Excel worksheet
sullyhd, is the sheet protected? What happens when you try to add data? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "sullyhd" <sullyhd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B06E0E8-A952-461F-A01F-219AB530A2F6@microsoft.com... > ...

How update entity in post update?

How do a import data from a text file to an excel worksheet
I have more than 66,000 lines of data to import into excel (v.2003). Can I do this without loosing data? -- mad ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=45e3503c-395d-4b02-923d-b07371...

file exist
hi, what is the command to check if file exist ? thanks. Lior Montia wrote: > hi, > > what is the command to check if file exist ? > > thanks. Dir("path to file") It will return the name of the file if it exists and "" if it does not. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com "Lior Montia" <liorm@matrix.co.il> wrote in message news:f053kh$edi$1@news2.netvision.net.il... > hi, > > what is the command to check if file exist ? > > thanks. > > Dir() will...

Preferred file group
Our application records transactional events (maybe 300K to 500K rows per day) on a separate file group called HISTORY. I was wondering if there are performance considerations when creating indices on this history table. That is, do I get a performance improvement if the index resides in the default file group or if it resides in my HISTORY file group. Thanks in advance, Gary Hi ary, You can create a seprate file for the indexes, that would help as the index read/writes would be from a seperate file. Sriram www.sqllike.com > Our application records transactional event...

Pasting chart worksheet as link 2007
A chart created in 2007 and sitting in it's own sheet (not included on the data worksheet) will not display entirely if pasted as link (neither into Word nor PPT) Some of the chart seems to be "cut off" in the linked object. This seems to be connected to how much of the "canvas" is visible in Excel. Viewing the chart in Excel on a zoom so that it fills the whole screen seems to remedy this. Is there some setting in Excel that would allow us to set the worksheet chart to automatically size to window? Or else: does anyone know a way of pasting a worksheet chart as ...

Getting path from the full path and file name
Hello again, This is my second question today. The question is how to get just the path info from a string that contains path and file name information. I am looking an MFC or WinAPI function to do that because I don't want to do it manually. Thanks, "msnews.microsoft.com" <fwr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:uzyJa$q1DHA.1700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... : Hello again, :=20 : This is my second question today. The question is how to get just the = path : info from a string that contains path and file name information. I am : looking an MFC or WinAPI function to do that becaus...

latest update too MSCFV2

Command to reference previous worksheet
Hi, I have a macro whereby I copy the workbook and create a new file. There are many sheets, a, b, c....and I'd like the sheets in cell A1 to reference the previous sheet cell A1 + 1. Ex: in sheet "a", A1 = 30 therefore in sheet "b", cell A1 should show 31 and sheet "c", A1 = 32.... Some of the sheets will be deleted when it comes to the end of the billing cycle but I still want the subsequent sheets to continue with the sequence, ie, if "c" gets deleted, "d" should show A1 = 32. (A1 in "a" will always be changed upon a...

How to call another file in your xml document.
Greetings. I have an app which calls "text.xml", which is stored on a network share. Each user has different text requirements. what I want is for "text.xml" which is stored on the network, to read a file locally on the user's macine (i.e. c:\localtext\text.txt) and populate it with the local contents and display it. So for each user the content would be customized to his liking. Please let me know if this is possible and if so, how. Thank You Hemang "Hemang Shah" <v-hshah@microsoft.com> wrote: > Please let me know if this is possible and if...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Linking worksheets
I have a customer list on one worksheet and a vehicle list on another worksheet. On both worksheets I have a customer number that is common between both - I need to combine these worksheets matching the information based on the customer number - help please. Have you tried pasting as a link? Copy cell (s), right click where you want them to go, Paste Special->Paste as link "Iannelli" wrote: > I have a customer list on one worksheet and a vehicle list on another > worksheet. On both worksheets I have a customer number that is common > between both ...

Payroll Update