Update cell based on date range - noob question

Hey guys!  I was wondering if I could get some help here.  I would lik
to update a cell based on a date range.  For example, I would like t
update the value of a cell to the value of another cell if the curren
date is between July 1st and July 10th.  However, if the date i
outside the date range, I want the value for that cell to not b
updated, and be the previous value.  Can anyone give me an example a
to how I would do this?  Thanks!!

--
deversol
deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2267

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This is the function that I am trying to get to work:

=IF(AND(TODAY()>G37,TODAY()<H37,WEEKDAY(TODAY())=3),'Status'!D59,????)

What I want to do is update a cell for that week on that Wednesday. I
will have a cell for each week, and each Wednesday that cell will be
updated with another value, which is at 'Status'!D59. However, I don't
want that particular cell updated if it is not during that week. So, if
that cell is updated in one week, I don't want that value to change the
following week from what it was the previous week. Does that make
sense?

--
deversole
deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22672

I think I'd use multiple cells.

For instance:

A1 can contain the original value
B1 can contain the value that the user types in
C1 can contain this formula:

=if(and(date(2005,7,1)<=today(),today()<=date(2005,7,10)),b1,a1)

deversole wrote:

> Hey guys!  I was wondering if I could get some help here.  I would like
> to update a cell based on a date range.  For example, I would like to
> update the value of a cell to the value of another cell if the current
> date is between July 1st and July 10th.  However, if the date is
> outside the date range, I want the value for that cell to not be
> updated, and be the previous value.  Can anyone give me an example as
> to how I would do this?  Thanks!!!
>
> --
> deversole
> deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22672
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384542

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
deversol
deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2267
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38454

You've got a couple of threads going.

I'd use multiple cells.  A cell can contain a formula or a value.  If you
overwrite the formula, it'll be lost forever.

deversole wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Dave.  Did you read my second post?  It may help
> explain my problem a little better.
>
> --
> deversole
> deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22672
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384542

--

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
7/5/2005 9:29:45 PM
Thanks again Dave.  I do understand that cells can either contain
formulas or values.  However, I do not intend to type the values into
the cell.  That is the reason for the formula, so that it will
automatically be updated every Wednesday.  I am unable to use multiple
cells to determine the value.  I am helping out on some project
metrics, and am unable to change it much.  Isn't there some kind of
command that will cause certain cells to not be updated when a certain
criteria is not met?

--
deversole
deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22672
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384542

It sounded to me like the first time you know that the cell should not be
updated is after it's been changed.

I don't know a way to do that using formulas and no extra cells.

deversole wrote:

> Thanks again Dave.  I do understand that cells can either contain
> formulas or values.  However, I do not intend to type the values into
> the cell.  That is the reason for the formula, so that it will
> automatically be updated every Wednesday.  I am unable to use multiple
> cells to determine the value.  I am helping out on some project
> metrics, and am unable to change it much.  Isn't there some kind of
> command that will cause certain cells to not be updated when a certain
> criteria is not met?
>
> --
> deversole
> deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22672
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384542

--

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
7/6/2005 1:15:47 PM
OK, thanks for taking the time to help anyways Dave.

Hrmm...there has got to be a way to do this..

--
deversol
deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2267
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38454

Can anyone help me out here?

--
deversole
deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22672
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384542

pivot table with dynamic base data
hiya, im trying to create a pivot table where I can change my base data (inserting or deleting rows of data) and still have this reflected in the pivot table. My solution was to use entire columns as my range for input to the pivotTable, but this means including blank rows which seems to muck up the calculations. I cant think how else i can allow for new rows to be added to the base data anyone got any ideas how to do this? thanks loads for your help! You can use a dynamic range as the source. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html bb wrote: > hiy...

Technical Question
Hi all I have a main server with some agents which each agent acts like a server. in each agent SqlServer is installed. How can I integrate all agents's data into main server. I know a solution is to merge them. Is there a better way to merge them ?? thanks in advance pers What is the vesrion of SQL Server are you using? "pers" <rezarms@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ugfM8bhrKHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all > I have a main server with some agents which each agent acts like a > server. > in each agent SqlServer is installed. ...

what command shifts all cells in a column up or down?
Accidentally did something in an Excel worksheet to shift all cells in a particular column down. Do not know the command(s) or keystrokes to reverse what I did and shift all cells in the column up. select the inserted cell Edit>Delete when asked, click "Shift cells up" -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "marco" <marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0CAFF80-291E-4A62-9D52-980D94F74378@microsoft.com... > Accidentally did something in an Excel worksheet to shift all cells in a > particular column down. Do not know the command(s) or keystrokes...

Problem with Script Updating

Update for MS Money 2005?

HELP: directory question
Thisw may be off topic. Sorry if it is. I've got an application, and it gets installed to a particular directory (they choose) on a users computer. How do I find out what this directory is at runtime? I want them to install a license file, and then my application check the values in the license file at runtime. Problem is, the directory could be different for each user. Hamish Dean >-----Original Message----- >Thisw may be off topic. Sorry if it is. > >I've got an application, and it gets installed to a particular directory >(they choose) on a users computer. How ...

Cell Editing Macro
I am looking for a way to edit a cell and put quotation marks around the contents of that cell using a macro (or some way of automating this). The reason being that this file is being imported into another program and the syntax requires quotation marks around each value. The original file is comma delimited and the contents are both numbers and words. Any help towards a solution is greatly appreciated. thanks Tyler mcleant at hotmail dot com Styler, Try writing the file with the Text Write program at www.tushar-mehta.com. It has an option to put all fields in quotes. -- Regards fro...

Multiple date select calender
I need a calender for MFC in which i can select multiple dates similar to what is there in calender of outlook 2003. Also I need the functionality to be able to select the days i.e. sunday, monday, etc. Is there some activex available freely which i can use. Or is it possible to achieve the same by subclassing the existing CMonthCalCtrl in MFC. Please guide me. Thanks in Anticipation Software Engineer wrote: > I need a calender for MFC in which i can select multiple dates similar to > what is there in calender of outlook 2003. Also I need the functionality to > be able to sel...

MS can't even get the release date right
Microsoft CRM has been a major disappointment in most every aspect. Now, they've failed again with the CRM product by delaying the CRM 2005 release until 4th Quarter. Some might say that this is a good thing so that it's a better product, but MS should have it more together than to announce a ship date they can't fulfill. Very frustrating that we have to continue on with this inferior version 1 product even longer. -- Brandon Smith IT Director Presentations Direct - Specialized Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com So what causes you to ca...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

Copy and Paste based on criteria
When Department changes I need to insert the ADDRESS below the Account-Institution Business Office:. Another option I have is that if address = get new address from page 2. HELP xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ending 02/13/10 Account-Institution Business Office: DEPT EMP.NBR EMPLOYEE NAME ADDRESS 883 27903 ROBERSON, JOE abc 883 119245 MUSIL, TODD E abc 883 Total ----------------------------------------------------------------- Account-Institution Business Office: DEPT EMP.NBR EMPLOYEE NAME ADDRES...

is there an easy way to move parts of cells around
we have an excel sheet which is keeping track of dart player team points over a four week competition. Each week the couple (one guy and one girl) compete in a dart tournament, to hopefully win and get the most points. Second place comes with less points, third has less again, and so on. In order to use "sum" we have entered the information along one row. Now when it is finished, we would like a quick and easy way to have the two player who played together to be placed one under the other. For example Billy-Joe Beckett would end up in one cell and Debralee would be in the cell direct...

Excel cells changes number format automatically
I am using Excel 2007. Many of the cells I am working on are in general format where I store various numbers for analysis. These values change itself to date format occassionally creating whole lot of work for me to change them back to general format. How can I solve this issue? Also in my pivot table, my source data is in general format. Still when I click on sub total in any catagory in the table to find details about it, formats are changed date format in the new sheet it pops up. Can someone help resolve this issue. ...

How update entity in post update?

Counting cells with a specific background colour
I have a spreadsheet with several rows. The background of the rows can either be coloured Red, Orange, Green or white. What I want to do is have a running total for each colour, so that if a row is set with a green background it will increment the Green total by one. If an Orange row is changed to Red, the Orange count will drop by one, and the Red count will go up by one. Is this possible, and if so, how? Rgds Duncan One way: Assuming that the colors aren't applied by Conditional Formatting: http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm If they are applied by CF, do a conditional...

When cells with dates don't format
I have some cells which contain dates. These dates are a link from another data source (Bloomberg) and when I try to formatt the cells, I cannot. They will only display the date in mm/dd/yyyy formatt. Any ideas? Thanks My first guess is that the cells are coming in as text. Look for an apostrophe (" ' ") in front of the data in the cell. If not, try using "text to columns" (select the entire column, click Data, Text to Columns, Finish). Then, attempt to re-format the cells (or entire column) as a date with the form that you want. Also, make sure ...

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

how to return a serial number to a date
Example: 40899 Is there a formula to convert the serial number 40899 above back to 12/22/2011? Thanks, Holly Format the cell as Date -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Holly" <Holly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82F628DD-B506-4A72-B5AC-DF85265ADAB0@microsoft.com... > Example: 40899 > > Is there a formula to convert the serial number 40899 above back to > 12/22/2011? > > Thanks, Holly "Holly" wrote: > Is there a formula to convert the serial number 40899 > above back to 12/22/2011? It would h...